Naval Warfare

LightningSword52
22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited May 2016
I really hope the naval warfare in this game is complex and extensive. It would be cool to be able to use multiple ships and possibly aircraft to outmaneuver and strategically defeat the enemy fleet so you could help bombard inland locations to help your infantry. I'm the captain now!

Comments

• CaptainHawsehole
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    Oh very much agreed and World of Warships certainly should give a taste for it to anyone. Implementation would be perhaps difficult for the larger ships to be player controlled, like the carriers used in BF42 were static. There were smaller landing boats that were mounted with a gun in that game tho, and I believe I saw gliders in BF4.

For pure naval warfare you'd possibly need more sophisticated water physics than were intended. Heck naval combat as far as we know might need to be on completely different engine / server like it was handled in Total War games. Who knows. @Red_Spider mentioned the idea that maybe larger ships might be an 'on rail' thing like the AT-ATs in Battlefront. That might be disappointing.
  • Avarik
    594 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited May 2016
    I did like the amount of control we had over larger units in BF1942, but it was kinda messy with how everything kept sliding around, it was difficult to walk around the deck of a carrier as an infantry.

We also had limited control over the movement of Titans in BF2142, but eventually that was removed too for the same issues that were presented in BF1942.

This is of course the Refractor engine's limitation in comparison to Frostbite, which I believe can better handle that problem. The other problem is teamwork and how players can handle those big ships without destroying the match for their teammates.
    I won't be surprised if we won't be able to directly move and control the larger vehicles, but I will be happy if we get a slight glimpse of how things wörked in 1942. (*´・ω・)/`
  • CaptainHawsehole
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's interesting that one of the bonuses for the deluxe edition is a "daze camouflage" for a dreadnought if we can't control them.