BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited October 2016
    The_Wilgis wrote: »
    dfk_7677 wrote: »
    @Horseysaurus
    With all due respect, 90% of the people complaining in this thread are server admins. They may be players too, but they are complaining because their server admin options are removed with the new system. I am not saying that they are not right to complain, even for the shake of the players, don't misunderstand me. But they are not representative of the players group.

just looked at servers.
    official: only 91 servers and only 20 of them are full
    ranked (so admin controlled) stopped counting at 400 more then half of them are full

So tell me what players want.

I'll tell you why. MOST PEOPLE DON'T LIKE PLAYING ON OFFICIAL SERVERS. They are full of cheaters, trolls, and everyone else kicked from good and decent admin controlled servers.
    Running a server is like running a business. Admins create their server the way they think the community would like and then try to get people to join. If people join and like the experience, they will stay, and probably come back and play there again. If people don't like the server they simply won't come back. If people don't come back then the server dies. It is not in the admin's best interest to be a jerk to the players if they want their server to survive. Most the badmin reports you see are from those who are legitimately kicked for doing something they shouldn't have.
    The famous YouTube personalities like playing on Official servers ONLY because they can stack teams severely to have easy games. They don't want a fair fight because it looks bad in their videos if they are constantly getting rekt by other players. It would decrease their viewership. So they have to stack their team because none of them are pro players. They like to think they are but they are just slightly above average. So when they say they are looking for a "pure" Battlefield experience they mean they want to have easy wins so they can post cool videos to YouTube. They can't do this on admin controlled servers because most decent admins don't allow severe stacking and have a balancer turned on that breaks up squads or teams based on Battlelog stats. This ruins their little plans so of course they don't like it. They hide behind the tired argument of "we just want to play with friends." Well, you playing with your friends isn't more important then having fair teams and a decent environment for all players to play.
    They like to pretend finding an Official server is hard when it only requires pressing the Quick Match Button (Play Now Button). IT ONLY MATCHES TO OFFICIAL SERVERS THAT ARE POPULATED!!!!!!!!! They are obviously not that stupid or they wouldn't be able to edit and post YouTube videos almost daily. So it is clear they have a hidden agenda, which DICE has fallen for.
    There are NO shortages of servers in BF4. There are a LOT of populated servers and TONS of empty ones. Better yet, the YouTube personalities could pay for their own server and run it HOWEVER they want. They just can't be bothered. They don't really care about helping the community by running a server. That actually costs money. They'd rather play on other people's servers, that these people are paying for, and then dictate to these server owners how their server should be run. And then they want to stack teams to kill off the server by making everyone leave because people don't enjoy severely unbalanced teams. Or better yet, they actually know the community is so bad they couldn't run a server without being accused of being badmins themselves because I guarantee they would be kicking people left and right from their server for a multitude of reasons.
    If you haven't even run a server you have no idea of the people you have to deal with on a daily basis. There are lots of players out there who's sole mission is to ruin the fun of others by cheating, trolling, or being fools during games. Admins are the only people who can deal with these individuals. And without admin control the average server in BF1 is going to degenerate into what OFFICIAL servers are like in BF4. They won't be fun and people will just stop playing the game because of it. DICE can't prevent these problems by taking away admin control. In fact, they are just going to make these issues worse.
  • Horseysaurus
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    dfk_7677 wrote: »
    The_Wilgis wrote: »
    just looked at servers.
    official: only 91 servers and only 20 of them are full
    ranked (so admin controlled) stopped counting at 400 more then half of them are full

So tell me what players want.

That is because admin controlled servers have some people behind them 'seeding' ;)

Again I am not saying that they are not better than the official ones, but most people just want to get in a non empty server.

I am not at all saying admins represent all players.

In the same light, does Levelcap represent all players when he says that he hopes DICE does not allow instant vehicles or any other option?

Admins customize servers according to what their clans require, or, according to what they perceive that players may desire.

It is up to the individual player to decide if he or she wants to play in that server.

If DICE only listens to individuals such as Levelcap, then it proceeds to limit control for admins, which then limits the variety and diversity of servers that all players can choose.

If DICE wants the "same and uniform experience" for all players, then I'm afraid BF1 will get boring real fast with just a vanilla flavor.

Why eat only vanilla, when you can have chocolate and caramel too?

I am afraid that LevelCap represents the average player more than any of us in this thread.

As for vanilla, BF2 was only vanilla (infantry only or with vehicles) and it was the best Battlefield up to date.

I don't know what fraction of the player population Levelcap represents. But whatever the case, his opinion and those of a few people shouldn't be the only ones that count. Let there be variety and let each player and every player choose which server they join.

If they don't like a particular server, fine, let them find one that suits them better. But by all means, don't limit options and control just to have "one and the same experience".

And BTW, nothing personal against you, but when I played BF2, I only liked one map from that game. When I finally got bored with that map, I went back to playing Desert Combat.
  • Chuck7even
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    When EA/Dice take over the world PC owners will be forced to set fire to their rigs in the street., Anybody caught using a pc will be shot and consoles will be given away for free.

Say no to EA! #BF1needsadmins
  • ElStryfe
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    ElStryfe wrote: »

All he does is complain in his videos. That's it. If things don't go his way he complains in his videos about it till he gets his way.

still waiting for ea to answer your questions,eh ?
    :D

We all are........
  • Horseysaurus
    @Horseysaurus Respectfully what aspect of on/off options isn't clear? The Beta browser clearly showed a lot of options (customisation possibilities). Those options may have been added to.

The announcement also clearly stated there will be customization.
    Following the Battlefield™ 1 launch, we will start rolling out a Rent-a-Server Program that will allow players to set up their own private and public Battlefield 1 servers, with control of different gameplay options to map rotations. Thanks to these customization options, you’ll be able to create games that suit the play style for you and your friends.

I saw vanilla and 26 other flavors and toppings.

You are right, the beta did show options, but until DICE discloses what kind of control they will let admins have, those same options in the beta may end up being useless.

If DICE does not allow KICKS/BANS, then what is the use of renting a server if you cannot remove an unruly or disruptive player?

And since RCON is no longer supported, if you have not run a BF server before, especially one connected to a ProCon server and its layer, then you may not realize how much DICE has taken back BF1 from its predecessors.

The ProCon layer runs various plug-ins that enable a server to perform dozens, if not hundreds of admin functions, at any given moment. Whether it is balancing teams, performing ping control, sending out warnings to certain players for rules violations, tracking statistics, and many more. These things were not at all in the beta. It would be fine with me if DICE came up with their own proprietary utility that performs all of these.

DICE needs to disclose these customization options. But since they appear to be waiting to release the info until after the game releases, I am afraid these options they speak of are very close to being meaningless.
  • CeltS_Kavo
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    HiddenTaco wrote: »
    GypsyTango wrote: »
    "Now because of the console generation, it seems people are conditioned to accept less options and less for their money."

I would say this:

"It really saddens me and I don't see myself ever buying another BF game if this continues."

We will see how many just throw in the towel on this one.

I'm holding out on purchasing because of the lack of server / hardcore info. But let's be honest, I'll probably cave on both issues because I'm desperate for a new game.

We are all just cannon fodder. The small select group who actually care about semantics aren't worth appeasing.

Why can't I just give in an enjoy the game? Instead of trying to hold onto the legacy that made bf great?

That there is the problem [/quote] I'll probably cave on both issues because I'm desperate for a new game. This is EAs thinking as well People will still buy this game, they are think off the money not the PC community that has keep there games alive for years because they rented servers that they had control over, a lot of community's have been build them self's up from BF games and brought people to the BF who wouldn't have bother with BF games , They o the Battlefield community big for this yet they have went the other way what the community wants and they new for a long time now, they wanted sale before telling the community, they are going by some you-tubers some off use say well yes probably but i can till you now it is not the you-tubers who get people to by the BF games it is the community out there, We all no BF1 with the ways thing are going to be Console type Control over there own EA servers, what Anit cheat? Fairfight & PB will not do as we all no... BF1 will last a year tops and no one will be playing the game but a small few, I will not get this game as i no i won't play it with how things are, I do hope the community shows EA how they feel on this one with game sales.
  • DrVanNostrand1
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

We all are........

good luck then...
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016

All he does is complain in his videos. That's it. If things don't go his way he complains in his videos about it till he gets his way.

still waiting for ea to answer your questions,eh ?
    :D

We all are........

I'm waiting for the explosion at this point. Well that and playing Overwatch. Short of displaying a level of corporate competence and completeness of information that's been absent from the discussion thus far, nothing they have to say will change anything for me. Well, I shouldn't say that. If they give us another one of those insultingly worthless press releases I may quite literally fly to Sweden so I can give them the Tommy Lee Jones "Idiot stare" in person, included below for reference.

Hb8Oqm7.jpg?1
  • S1ngular1ty
    edited October 2016
    @Horseysaurus Respectfully what aspect of on/off options isn't clear? The Beta browser clearly showed a lot of options (customisation possibilities). Those options may have been added to.

Following the Battlefield™ 1 launch, we will start rolling out a Rent-a-Server Program that will allow players to set up their own private and public Battlefield 1 servers, with control of different gameplay options to map rotations. Thanks to these customization options, you’ll be able to create games that suit the play style for you and your friends.

You are right, the beta did show options, but until DICE discloses what kind of control they will let admins have, those same options in the beta may end up being useless.

If DICE does not allow KICKS/BANS, then what is the use of renting a server if you cannot remove an unruly or disruptive player?

And since RCON is no longer supported, if you have not run a BF server before, especially one connected to a ProCon server and its layer, then you may not realize how much DICE has taken back BF1 from its predecessors.

The ProCon layer runs various plug-ins that enable a server to perform dozens, if not hundreds of admin functions, at any given moment. Whether it is balancing teams, performing ping control, sending out warnings to certain players for rules violations, tracking statistics, and many more. These things were not at all in the beta. It would be fine with me if DICE came up with their own proprietary utility that performs all of these.

DICE needs to disclose these customization options. But since they appear to be waiting to release the info until after the game releases, I am afraid these options they speak of are very close to being meaningless.

Also they haven't said how many of those options you can change before your server is Ranked vs Official or Unranked entirely. That is pretty important information to know. It doesn't matter if there are 100 settings if you can only change 1 or 2 slightly before your server status has changed so that Quick Match doesn't match to it or it becomes Unranked entirely. An empty server is not very useful.
    You may just think this is all hypothetical but DICE did this in BF4 several times. They would patch servers so that if simple settings were changed the server changed from "Normal" Ranked servers to "Custom" Ranked servers. Then it was almost guaranteed no-one would join the server. It would become extremely hard to populate the server because by default the server browser shows "Normal" servers in preference to "Custom" Ranked servers.
    So until we have more information, it doesn't matter how many switches and buttons are on the settings page. They are meaningless without the server documentation that shows what settings and range of values are acceptable in each game mode and flavor of server. Also it is critical how the quick match system works in BF1. We need to know if it matches to Ranked server or only Official servers. Also what settings will cause a server to not be matched by quick match. This is vital information.
  • Frogtooth
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Better yet, the YouTube personalities could pay for their own server and run it HOWEVER they want. They just can't be bothered.
    I think several of them have done this. I made the mistake of joining one of those once intending to actually play a game. Nope. 64 player server with a real game going, but the Youtuber and his band of minions were off somewhere trying to launch LAV's or tanks or something. And anytime someone shot them, they got banned.
    Doubt if that particular Youtuber is advocating for official servers only. :)
  • S1ngular1ty
    Frogtooth wrote: »
    Better yet, the YouTube personalities could pay for their own server and run it HOWEVER they want. They just can't be bothered.
    I think several of them have done this. I made the mistake of joining one of those once intending to actually play a game. Nope. 64 player server with a real game going, but the Youtuber and his band of minions were off somewhere trying to launch LAV's or tanks or something. And anytime someone shot them, they got banned.
    Doubt if that particular Youtuber is advocating for official servers only. :)

Yeah, I really don't think people understand the fundamental changes that are happening in BF1. They are unlike anything that happened in previous BF games. It is a major change. It will take a while for everyone to fully grasp it.
  • VonStiffy
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, I really don't think people understand the fundamental changes that are happening in BF1. It will take a while for everyone to fully grasp it.

All those indifferent, you know they're straight from console.
    But they will be the first on the forum whining like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "where's all the servers".

Without rcon controls who tf in their right minds is going to rent one?

• Horseysaurus

Also they haven't said how many of those options you can change before your server is Ranked vs Official or Unranked entirely. That is pretty important information to know. It doesn't matter if there are 100 settings if you can only change 1 or 2 slightly before your server status has changed so that Quick Match doesn't match to it or it becomes Unranked entirely. An empty server is not very useful.
    You may just think this is all hypothetical but DICE did this in BF4 several times. They would patch servers so that if simple settings were changed the server changed from "Normal" Ranked servers to "Custom" Ranked servers. Then it was almost guaranteed no-one would join the server. It would become extremely hard to populate the server because by default the server browser shows "Normal" servers in preference to "Custom" Ranked servers.
    So until we have more information, it doesn't matter how many switches and buttons are on the settings page. They are meaningless without the server documentation that shows what settings and range of values are acceptable in each game mode and flavor of server. Also it is critical how the quick match system works in BF1. We need to know if it matches to Ranked server or only Official servers. Also what settings will cause a server to not be matched by quick match. This is vital information.

+1
  • Jodomar
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    To me this is going backwards. People want more freedom not less, and they are doing exactly the opposite of what the consumer wants. To me, choice is everything. I should have the choice to play on an official server with no rules, or a private server with a ton of rules. I should have to choice to gamble on a adminless-server with a high chance of cheating douchebaggery going on, or the choice to play on a strict admin always one server. The point is, I should have the freedom to choose how I want to play, not have the choice made for me by some bigwig who doesn't have a clue to what players want. I hope some sense of reality comes back to them as I really do want to play bf1, but right now it's looking more like battlefront which was just a terrible, terrible game, and a step backwards, not forwards.
  • Horseysaurus
    Jodomar wrote: »
    To me this is going backwards. People want more freedom not less, and they are doing exactly the opposite of what the consumer wants. To me, choice is everything. I should have the choice to play on an official server with no rules, or a private server with a ton of rules. I should have to choice to gamble on a adminless-server with a high chance of cheating douchebaggery going on, or the choice to play on a strict admin always one server. The point is, I should have the freedom to choose how I want to play, not have the choice made for me by some bigwig who doesn't have a clue to what players want. I hope some sense of reality comes back to them as I really do want to play bf1, but right now it's looking more like battlefront which was just a terrible, terrible game, and a step backwards, not forwards.

Nailed it!
  • HappyGotLucky
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've gone ahead and canceled my pre-order for this game. I'm not going to drop over a hundred bucks on this when they continue this charade of not giving us some of the most obvious information we need as communities. Looks like for the immediate future we're going to continue with BF4 only.
  • Ellishme64
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    If they take full server control away then I hope the game bombs like the last two games. First BF game I have not pre-ordered damn shame they have decided to meddle to far :(
This discussion has been closed.