BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• 0Xiao91
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What happens if clans/communities decide not to rent servers? Will EA actually provide thousands of servers themselves for everyone to play on?
  • dfk_7677
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    GitSum wrote: »
    Ever hear of BF2CC? Based on what you typed - it is evident that you do not know what your talking about...
    http://bf2cc.com/

BF2cc didn't have the tons of plugins procon has.

• StarscreamUK
    7431 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    tons of plugins != quality plugins though, there are some godawful ones out there
  • Px-Progdogg
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Alright, we have a list of around 200 questions on the other thread. (thanks @StarscreamUK )

When will we start getting information back? How long does it take to answer questions?

Surely they could have a 2-3 hour meeting to eliminate a lot of them with a simple yes/no?

Will the answers be released in waves or all at once? The longer we wait on answers the worse it gets.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Jodomar wrote: »
    To me this is going backwards. People want more freedom not less, and they are doing exactly the opposite of what the consumer wants. To me, choice is everything. I should have the choice to play on an official server with no rules, or a private server with a ton of rules. I should have to choice to gamble on a adminless-server with a high chance of cheating douchebaggery going on, or the choice to play on a strict admin always one server. The point is, I should have the freedom to choose how I want to play, not have the choice made for me by some bigwig who doesn't have a clue to what players want. I hope some sense of reality comes back to them as I really do want to play bf1, but right now it's looking more like battlefront which was just a terrible, terrible game, and a step backwards, not forwards.
    Well said. Pity you don't work for EA.

My belief is EA doesn't care if we lose interest and leave within a year the way PC players did with SW Battlefront so long as enough of us buy the game to make it a commercial success. If the high-profit sales on a game all happen within a relatively short time of launch anyway (i.e. the folks who pay full price or something close to it) then why should they care if we get bored (or disgusted) and move on to something else in a few months? I'd guess that most of the DLC purchasers get those via Premium or whatever they call it, so again they already have the money for the DLCs whether the purchasers are still playing or not. If there are no rented servers at launch it's because by the time rentals start it will be too late to get your money back. If all the money EA will ever make off your purchase of BF1 is paid before the game is even released, how likely is it they will care if you're still playing the game in a year or two?

Gamers want games they can play for years, game publishers want customers who buy one game after another after another. I have friends who bought Hardline and Titanfall (and played them briefly) while I stayed with BF4--who do you think EA likes better? Pre-ordering is just a bad, bad idea, it's something no gamer should do.
  • StarscreamUK
    7431 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    if it was us, you'd have the answer the same day, but it isn't..... I'm afraid the answer in its most simple form is, when it comes :(
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    All I know is the next person unfortunate enough to use the phrase "working on messaging" around here should probably do so from behind a riot shield.
  • StarscreamUK
    edited October 2016
    battlelog didnt have an auto filter, this forum does.

probably not the plugins perse, but more the implementation of them by admins or admins not keeping them updated

• EBassie
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Then next time, say that.

Instead you are now just making weird assumptions while you say we should not make assumptions.
    Double standards much....?
  • StarscreamUK
    not certain I've said you are making assumptions, so no, no double standards, but I'm human and may not always word something perfectly. but by the same token you cannot say that every plugin is running fine. but thats taking this thread off topic. the majority of plugins/admins are ok but there are some godawful plugins/admins/or implementations, it is impossible for me to name the plugins as the plugin does not announce what it is when it does its job.
  • Madturnip
    415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @EBassie
    Don't get me wrong. I love PROCON and all the things I can do with it. However, the game isn't unplayable since there might not be any RCON protocol we can or can't connect too. Maybe they will have something like that built into their tool, maybe they wont, but as long as we get the ability to kick/ban then there is at least hope.
    -
    Maybe you guys are approaching PROCON wrong. Maybe reach out to DICE/EA in a way that a business would understand. MONEY..... Work out some way to utilize procon with the new server hosting and EA can make a little jingle off of it. Have plugins approved by EA/DICE and then sold or rented for a premium. People would pay it and we already know their is a way to connect to the server using RCON. It's just will they share that protocol with PROCON and how will it function.
    -
    There are ways....
  • EBassie
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    not certain I've said you are making assumptions, so no, no double standards, but I'm human and may not always word something perfectly. but by the same token you cannot say that every plugin is running fine. but thats taking this thread off topic. the majority of plugins/admins are ok but there are some godawful plugins/admins/or implementations, it is impossible for me to name the plugins as the plugin does not announce what it is when it does its job.

I agree with you to a certain level, but I like to assure you there are more godawful players than there are godawful admins / servers.
    And taking away automation (believe me: this is going to happen 100%) to keep servers fun and clean will result in a worse gameplay experience for EVERY player.
    I can also assure you this will again be the admin's fault, in the player's eyes.
    We admins can never do good.
  • EBassie
    @Madturnip
    EA / DICE has contacted us in the past. Even invited our devs to Stockholm.
    They could have contacted us for BF1 if they wanted changes.
    They didn't. All I heard was they wanted to remove 'automation' to counter 'badmins'.

Guess we're done then... right?
  • Madturnip
    415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    EBassie wrote: »
    @Madturnip
    EA / DICE has contacted us in the past. Even invited our devs to Stockholm.
    They could have contacted us for BF1 if they wanted changes.
    They didn't. All I heard was they wanted to remove 'automation' to counter 'badmins'.

Guess we're done then... right?

Have you had any contact with Phogue? Has he enlightened anyone on what he is doing at EA/DICE? Who is actually in control of ProCon right now? Maybe you guys should get together and draft a business proposal to EA/DICE. It could boil down that they just want say in what is approved vs any monetary gain. If that's the case then maybe they want to officially approve plugins for use and provide a standard TOU for the use of procon. I think that could be a very good compromise and very good partnership for PROCON and EA/DICE.
    -
    You never know unless you try.
  • Px-Progdogg
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    EBassie wrote: »
    tons of plugins != quality plugins though, there are some godawful ones out there

Care to elaborate? Which plugins you think are godawful?
    I don't think we (or better: the plugin devs / our community) offers bad plugins.
    I like to point out there are two plugins (insanelimits & proconrulz) that are more like a framework in which admins can program their own 'subplugins'.
    They can do whatever they want within the limits of the RCON protocol.
    For instance:
    Today I programmed a clan tag kicker to autokick players with an [lSlS]* tag, since many players are offended by it and it causes a disturbance to our friendly servers.
    If EA / DICE would do their job enforcing their own TOS / ROC I wouldn't have to.
    And there are more examples like this, where we (the owners of the servers) have to enforce EA's TOS / ROC.
    Players can say anything without repercussions from EA / DICE and admins will always take the blame for keeping their servers clean of ****.
    EA / DICE has to remember we do the police work for them.
    Removing these abilities will result in a cesspool of abuse.
    I can tell you: it won't be fun to play this game any more.
    * FUNNY, it gets auto-moderated here... but not on Battlelog.

+1 - this is the gist of it. If there isn't at least a fraction of what procon can do (the most important ones) then I wont have any issues buying another game. I cringed when I read the "All you need to know about servers" announcement. Literally so far from "all you need to know" as you can get, even more frustrating is that this thread started a long time ago and @Braddock512 said that he had voiced our concerns. Furthermore, it was stated that EA/DICE were working on "wording" and making sure "they covered everything" before it was released, again, sorry @Braddock512 but this was what you said as well.

Then all that is released is a plethora of non-information. We learned nothing from the information released other than there will be some sort of customisation.
  • EBassie
    edited October 2016
    Yes, I do speak to Phogue regularly. He's in my Teamspeak all the time. He's a good friend.
    Having said that: he cannot talk about anything he does for DICE and has not told me anything about the plans EA / DICE is having for BF1.
    I've contacted several DICE devs to hear what's going on, but none of them want to elaborate.
    So... what else can we do? I don't know...
  • fvmz
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    -Braddock512-

Hey Braddock,

How's it going?

Two things: a) that tat is hardcore. nice. b) do you think we'll have some clarity on this issue within the first 24 hours after release?

• iT_Terkoz
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my old age but I'm having serious misgivings over the way this is being handled. We are days away from the game starting yet they are avoiding answering basic questions that would have been decided on years ago at the beginning of the development cycle. We know they are avoiding telling by the delay. This sort of info should have released months ago. The only reason to delay it is because they are worried about the impact of it affecting sales.

I was confused at first because the seeming direction this is all going seems like a reaction to a handful of trolls who don't like not being able to be abusive in game but that doesn't make sense. They can't be that naive. What next came to mind worried the hell out of me. I am starting to wonder that maybe EA (not dice) really want to destroy the clan community that has built up around this game. I know this sounds paranoid as all hell but think about it for a minute. For a decade or so now there have been whole communities that have played a battlefield game non stop basically until the next one comes out. This in not what EA wants. They want us buying the game, playing it for a few weeks then moving on to the next big title. If we are modding this game and keeping it alive for two years or more then thats less money in their pockets.

I could be wrong obviously. I hope I am frankly. But the way games lately have been slanted more towards the casual player has made me wonder.

We've been asking these server questions for weeks now. How long does it take to pass out the information they already know? Even if it was just a "don't worry your fears are groundless" type message.

• Braddock512
    1465 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    @fumzz Thanks. I sincerely am doing my best to get that info as soon as possible.
    @EBassie Yeah, unless it's been authorized to be discussed publicly (which would most likely first come in a Forum Post or Blog), you will be hard-pressed to find an employee (EA or DICE) who both knows and is willing break NDA to tell you any details. What you can do is wait until I get the information y'all are requesting and share it the moment I can. That's just a suggestion and not being snarky. There's really nothing WE can do but wait until the information comes my way.

-Braddock512-
This discussion has been closed.