BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

  • TheRealMcKay
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    The anticipation is murdering me.
  • PBS-powerbits01
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    EBassie wrote: »
    Yes, I do speak to Phogue regularly. He's in my Teamspeak all the time. He's a good friend.
    Having said that: he cannot talk about anything he does for DICE and has not told me anything about the plans EA / DICE is having for BF1.
    .
    I've contacted several DICE devs to hear what's going on, but none of them want to elaborate.
    .
    So... what else can we do? I don't know...

    Must be hard for phogue to see that his beloved program will not be used anymore...
    I used procon since BC2 and loved it all the way... it shows wat a community can do for their passion for the game.

    And some idiots whine about badmins and EA takes it all away and leaves us in the dark till the end... It all is sad!

    I realy hope you guys and the community can get something from EA
  • EBassie
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @Braddock512 I know... I know. You keep up the good work. ;)
  • dflynn222
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    The anticipation is murdering me.

    Why? Just don't buy the game and move on. Stress gone. EA/DICE have demonstrated they aren't willing to provide you any relevant information before release, so why even buy the game and then be pissed/disappointed about servers. The simple solution is to just not buy it. Let it bomb.

    I see a lot of comments about badmins, who cares? Are you seriously so butt hurt about being kicked/banned from 1 or 2 servers when there are literally hundreds if not a thousand servers for BF4. If someone purchases a server, they have every right to admin it as they choose as it is their money, not yours. LOL, I got called a badmin once because I kicked a guy that was 40-0 on one of our servers in the first 5 minutes of play. I couldn't determine if he was cheating or not, all of his PB screenshots (12 of 12) were black (good indication he was running a screen blocker though so he probably was cheating). I didn't ban him for cheating, people were leaving the server because it just wasn't fun so I banned him to keep the server from emptying out. People get kicked/banned for multiple reasons, and for the most part they deserve it. LOL. I've never been banned from any server that I can remember. I've been kicked from many for things like over the skill cap, over the ping limit, over the rank limit, K/D too high/not noob friendly, using a sniper rifle when there is a sniper limit. but you know what, I didn't cry badmin about it. I accepted they had rules and breaking those rules would get you kicked. I moved on and went to another server, the same option as any of you have. Quit crying about badmins because your little fragile underdeveloped emotions got hurt.

    As a server owner, there are somethings I won't tolerate, and those are my rights as a server owner. You have no right to tell me or any other server owner how to moderate/admin it. If you think you do, then you are the problem, not the admins/server owners.

    /End of Rant
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2016
    just another week to go. I can wait.
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    just another week to go. I can wait.

    Till the early access, they could keep jerking us around on the servers for another month or more.
  • Horseysaurus
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Tireseas wrote: »
    just another week to go. I can wait.

    Till the early access, they could keep jerking us around on the servers for another month or more.

    I'm in no hurry to buy BF1 and will hold off until DICE makes a full disclosure.

    If their disclosure ends up being another round of not so good news, then I'm not buying BF1.

    Rising Storm Vietnam and Squad, are looking sweeter by the day!
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Tireseas wrote: »
    just another week to go. I can wait.

    Till the early access, they could keep jerking us around on the servers for another month or more.

    I can hold onto my money just as long as they can hold on to the details :)

    I'll hold out for the people responsible for this SNAFU being thrown under a line of buses as a warning to whomever replaces them.
  • Jodomar
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    Jodomar wrote: »
    To me this is going backwards. People want more freedom not less, and they are doing exactly the opposite of what the consumer wants. To me, choice is everything. I should have the choice to play on an official server with no rules, or a private server with a ton of rules. I should have to choice to gamble on a adminless-server with a high chance of cheating douchebaggery going on, or the choice to play on a strict admin always one server. The point is, I should have the freedom to choose how I want to play, not have the choice made for me by some bigwig who doesn't have a clue to what players want. I hope some sense of reality comes back to them as I really do want to play bf1, but right now it's looking more like battlefront which was just a terrible, terrible game, and a step backwards, not forwards.
    Well said. Pity you don't work for EA.

    My belief is EA doesn't care if we lose interest and leave within a year the way PC players did with SW Battlefront so long as enough of us buy the game to make it a commercial success. If the high-profit sales on a game all happen within a relatively short time of launch anyway (i.e. the folks who pay full price or something close to it) then why should they care if we get bored (or disgusted) and move on to something else in a few months? I'd guess that most of the DLC purchasers get those via Premium or whatever they call it, so again they already have the money for the DLCs whether the purchasers are still playing or not. If there are no rented servers at launch it's because by the time rentals start it will be too late to get your money back. If all the money EA will ever make off your purchase of BF1 is paid before the game is even released, how likely is it they will care if you're still playing the game in a year or two?

    Gamers want games they can play for years, game publishers want customers who buy one game after another after another. I have friends who bought Hardline and Titanfall (and played them briefly) while I stayed with BF4--who do you think EA likes better? Pre-ordering is just a bad, bad idea, it's something no gamer should do.

    The funny thing is I used to work in the industry, but left due to suggestions falling on deaf ears. It's really frustrating to know that something is going to fail, bringing it to attention only for it to be ignored and the failure realized. The worse part about it, is when the realized they messed up, but will not acknowledge that if they would have listened in the first place, the crisis would have been avoided. I'm actually working on something right now that I know will be great.

    In the meantime, I hope these suggestions don't fall on deaf ears like they have so many times in my past experiences. I'd loved the gameplay of bf1, I however don't like cheaters, and people who spams chat with every racist messed up thing you can think about which is exactly what happens when you don't have admins or the tools necessary to get rid of these toxic people.
  • UnderseaAcademic
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    EBassie wrote: »
    @Madturnip
    EA / DICE has contacted us in the past. Even invited our devs to Stockholm.
    They could have contacted us for BF1 if they wanted changes.
    They didn't. All I heard was they wanted to remove 'automation' to counter 'badmins'.

    Guess we're done then... right?

    EB seriously get off your i am almighty horse for one second of your life, you are nothing more than a toxic server admin who has more bans to his name than dinners, you think the gaming world revolves around you and your mates. As you have previously said, and I really hope its true, If there is no Procon you will not be an admin or have your little ban hammer privilege for BF1, here is hoping !
  • Pahkiller
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    @Jodomar
    What are you working on?
  • TwinGunsLLP
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited October 2016
    If anybody is worried about the waiting, and hasn't played Witcher 3 yet, get that game! I just purchased it over the weekend (GOTY Ediition) as I'm passing on BF1, and holy hell does it appear to be a loooooong fun game. From all the available settings, they also seem to care about PC players. WIN WIN!

    Running at 3440x1440 with max everything and uncapped fps on sli 1080s, the game is just gorgeous too.
  • Jodomar
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's a long ways off, but will be amazing, it will be what people have been wanting, and it will be PC first. Still in the planning/concept phase but I do have some talented people totally down for creating something new, and fun. I have just gotten tired of the sub-par treatment of PC gamers and how backwards new games have become. Don't get me wrong, they are some really cool titles out there that I love to play. But the trend has been less features, less polish, for more money, and it needs to stop. I hope that battlefield 1 could be among these really awesome titles but they're letting me and most of us down so far. Maybe they can turn it around, I hope they do. The beta was super fun, but the fun will only last until the cheaters/toxic players ruin the servers. It's why you have got to have solid admin controls, and I really hope that they announce the features they will be providing those that rent the servers.
  • olT3lo
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited October 2016
    pc players get shafted? no, some server owners may feel like that, but the average player (the ones who make up the vast majority of players, won't feel shafted

    I really don't care if you are a mod, if you are wrong, you are wrong, and guess what, you are wrong. The PC player will most certainly get the shaft if our worst fears are realized. How's that you ask? Try a bunch of official servers with absolutely no oversight. Yeah, good luck with that.

    Then again, you could come back with, "well what about Battlefront? No one is getting shafted there because no one is playing!". Of course you'd win that argument. Maybe I should rethink my stance...... NAH.
  • StarscreamUK
    7431 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Just because someone doesn't share your opinion, doesn't mean you are right :)

    it goes vice versa of course.
  • TheNorthFIN
    767 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TheQue wrote: »
    @Braddock512

    So I have been away for work, which takes precidence over gaming, and when I come back I see this...

    https://www.battlefield.com/en-gb/news/article/rent-a-server-for-battlefield-1

    The title of the article/announcement is "All You Need To Know About The Battlefield 1 Rent-A-Server Program."

    Aside from the fact this is no where close to "All we need to know," I am extremely disappointed that one of the biggest questions was not even glossed over (Kick / Ban ability). Furthermore, I am equally disappointed in the fact that you, as the community relations manager for NA, allowed the moderators to merge the thread I had posted in regards to this issue. This thread is weeks old, and has degraded in conversations again and again, as expected this question has been buried in the rubbish.

    The people who are putting out thousands of dollars a year (my group is looking at ~$10,000 a year for the servers, website, TS) do not just Want to know this answer, we NEED to know this answer before we INVEST in creating a community in Battlefield 1. I am not saying it is impossible to create a community without these features, but it is certainly considered to be "not worth the effort" by many who have done it over and over again across several titles. This is not rhetoric, rather, this can easily be researched in titles that lack this ability in a PC environment, even in your own titles.

    Any organization, physical or virtual, that rents or leases property expects the ability to control the environment from negativity that may impact the community in which they are attempting to create. Let me use a real example of the virtual space in which many on this forum, and hopefully many of the developers have come across in the past...

    Many users utilize 3rd party VoIP programs to communicate with each other. A very popular VoIP solution is TeamSpeak. You can rent and control your own TeamSpeak server for a small fee from several authorized vendors (I think the TS organization has their own rental program as well, but I digress), or you can use a public TeamSpeak server. If you have ever used a public TeamSpeak server (please do so if you have not), you will notice a trend. That trend is every hour or so, some group of drunk or otherwise rowdy group of individuals will log in and move from channel to channel disrupting everything with loud music, hate speach, etc... They will continue to do so until they are eventually removed by the public administrator (often this takes hours). In the mean time, the users are leaving in droves due to the disruption; after all, this is intended as entertainment first and foremost.

    This happens on ALL of the official servers for Battlefield 4. Every so often, a group of people will join for the sole purpose of disrupting the community. I am not even talking about the rampant cheaters on the official servers; I am talking about the people who choose to join for the sole purpose of aggravating people and making them leave. In a real-time FPS, it is not hard to do these actions. Some of the actions include, intentionally using bugs, racial or other intolerant speech, generally trolling another player, blowing up allies gear (MedPacks and Ammo Crates), and constantly standing in front of people's line of sight.

    How is it this question allowed to be buried? In the thread I created, I specifically asked for that thread to be singled out; and there were 15+ responses in the 30 minutes before it was merged. All of these responses were ON TOPIC and were attempting to explain the importance of this question. Yet, it was merged into a massive thread where more than 30% of the posts are absolutely irrelevant, total speculation, or bashing EA/Dice. I am sure I am going to get a "Time Out" for this post but I am sure you, and your admins, will get the irony of that when it is done.

    -Ray[TheQue]

    Long quote, but I'm 100 % behind this.
    .
    What is the reason for this lack of information? "All we need to know" post had virtually NO information. It said, hey there'll be rental servers (duh), hey they'll be rented from DICE (as we speculated), hey more later. More later? How late, after the release? Are they following up how many preorders are being cancelled? Maybe this is a good thing if this kind of unprofessional behavior keeps players from preordering.
    .
    And for the record, I actually am looking forward to this game. I got the Origin Access and will try the game out (along with other Vault games), but I sure as HELL won't buy a game that has crap servers. I don't want instant vehicles. I don't need 3000 ticket TDM. I want servers where admins can actually control the service they are paying for without contacting EA and waiting hours.
  • olT3lo
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Just because someone doesn't share your opinion, doesn't mean you are right :)

    it goes vice versa of course.

    You can call it an opinion if you want but I don't really see it like that. Unsupervised servers are a disaster, that's a fact. I think most PC gamers will definitely feel the change (that is opinion based on the previous fact). You can be happy about the change or indifferent, it matters little. The fact is, this change is not good for PC gaming and most people who are really involved in the community know that). In all likelihood, this will end any kind of real PC community based around the Battlefield franchise (opinion).
  • PBS-powerbits01
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    So, questions are clearly asked on the other thread.... a phone call or a meeting with EA should very easy give us the needed information!

  • PBS-iRuthless
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    So, questions are clearly asked on the other thread.... a phone call or a meeting with EA should very easy give us the needed information!

    Braddock forwarded 35 questions for us on Friday. I don't think having a call is an option
This discussion has been closed.