BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• kL-SnAjP
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    i would say its statisticaly more probable to meet cheater among 64p than 12 :)
  • MagmaDawg
    163 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited October 2016
    My realistic take on it:
    1) The server infrastructure has been in place for a long time and was intended to not be 3rd party ever since they started working on the game. That's how billion-dollar-value corporations work. Everything is planned, and they never told us due to backlash they knew would happen. However, the backlash "loss" in $$$ is calculated to still make them a profit by luring in new players. Losing 10 players, gaining 14 is still a long-term positive.
    2) They are stalling on answers due to not risking sales/pre-orders/interest.
    3) Don't fall for "being catered to" by getting answers on questions, since whatever the questions/answers are, the server infrastructure will not change. Not this close to launch. Adding/removing features so as to make the servers behave/be controlled like they used to - just to please the community/admins, will not happen. The earliest we'll see 3rd party servers in November 1st, according to reports, and EA has stated "shortly" after launch.
    4) Early Access starts tomorrow, and EA will stream and report on BF every day till release, Oct. 18th/21st.
    5) We will most likely not get answers before release, and even with answers (see 3 ^^) that means little, as nothing will change.
    Again; don't misinterpret "getting answers" as equaling "EA will change their minds".
    @Braddock512 = still awesome! Not criticizing him the slightest.
  • steviezee
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The primary motivation for renting a server, is to build community around a shared experience. As a Battlefield centric community (http://legendarybastards.com/) we have done this since Battlefield 2 days and have been able to manage our servers the way we see fit. In all cases we have tried to provide both our community members and our guests with a fair and balanced gaming experience. In order to continue doing so, we need to be able to rent a server with either third-party tool access or built-in server management tools, this is imperative.

Here is a basic list of tool capabilities that make for successful server administration

1. Ability to assign admins
    2. Reserved slots
    3. Language filters & punishment system
    4. Banlist / cheat detection to be shared across servers
    5. Votemap
    6. Votekick
    7. Ping Kick
    8. Ingame balancer (DICE balancer does only end-of-round balancing)
    9. Chat logging
    10. Stats logging

There is no doubt Battlefield One is going to be successful and as a community member we are asking to work together with EA/Dice to continue helping build communities that contribute to this.

P.S. I have no doubt that Dice are aware of the importance of admin tools, specifically as they hired on Phogue (https://forum.myrcon.com/content.php?84-Working-for-The-Man) some time ago.
  • MagmaDawg
    edited October 2016
    Any lack of KICK/BAN is a very, very poor way of asking clans/renters to get a server through EA.
    Since there's a cost per each player slot on the server, and EA basically says that you have to go about ridding these players in a non KICK/BAN manner (basically the opposite to how a lot of 3rd party servers are run), then why should we have to pay for cheaters, trolls and offensive language users, etc.? If the admin cannot kick/ban the player(s) doing the opposite of what the server renters want them to do, then are we stuck with the player on that server till EA does something about it 2 weeks later?
    A banlist/anti-cheat list across every single server would be a great anti-cheat tool (if implemented correctly). Not sure if that'll happen, but great idea on paper, at least...
    Post edited by MagmaDawg on
  • PBS-powerbits01
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    One thing i must say, i hear people saying...i am not playing if they dont give full rights.
    Kick, ban, vip and mix mode would already be good.

But then people leave and start playing" the division, overwatch , battlefront , cod mw remastered"...

Guess wat guys, those games have zero admins and server control....

The game community should unite and real say in mp:" no admin, no game"!!

Good point.

I haven't met any players in Overwatch who I would call a cheater, even to myself not in chat. I've met few who spammed chat with abusive stuff, but I just hid the chat. No admin but for whatever reason I haven't needed any, it's just 5 v 5 after all and can't be compared to Battlefield IMHO.

I can't say for the other games, but I'll probably see what Battlefront is without admins soon. "I'm going in...!" I've been thinking what other games that I play could use admins... but maybe I just don't play any other games with big multiplayer, aside MMO's which are a world of their own.

Overwatch will fill with cheaters , dont worry
    The admin is the only real defence against a cheater!
  • PBS-powerbits01
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2016
    I find that many known youtubers are afraid to fully stand behind the pc community...
    Is it because some get invites to confereces hosted by EA?
    They should all stick together with us!
    Post edited by StarscreamUK on
  • BIO30NGclankillr
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    https://www.mweb.co.za/games/view/tabid/4210/Article/27180/What-the-new-Battlefield-1-server-policy-means-for-South-African-gamers.aspx

"If the servers are hosted outside of Africa (and EA hasn't said anything to the contrary); then SA players will have to play on possibly 150ms+ at all times, with no option (even if you rent your own server) to have lower latency.There is also no LAN option that we know about for Battlefield 1.

Not to mention the impact it will have on the South African eSports scene."
  • Axlerod1
    1384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It all starts in a couple of days. No admin controlled servers for launch, poodle corp threats and a new game launch. Yeah it will be interesting
  • RevFX-Himsa
    61 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    One thing i must say, i hear people saying...i am not playing if they dont give full rights.
    Kick, ban, vip and mix mode would already be good.

But then people leave and start playing" the division, overwatch , battlefront , cod mw remastered"...

Guess wat guys, those games have zero admins and server control....

The game community should unite and real say in mp:" no admin, no game"!!

Good point.

I haven't met any players in Overwatch who I would call a cheater, even to myself not in chat. I've met few who spammed chat with abusive stuff, but I just hid the chat. No admin but for whatever reason I haven't needed any, it's just 5 v 5 after all and can't be compared to Battlefield IMHO.

I can't say for the other games, but I'll probably see what Battlefront is without admins soon. "I'm going in...!" I've been thinking what other games that I play could use admins... but maybe I just don't play any other games with big multiplayer, aside MMO's which are a world of their own.

Overwatch will fill with cheaters , dont worry
    The admin is the only real defence against a cheater!

Yeah, EA/DICE is no where close to having a Warden in their arsenal.
  • P1asma
    348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MagmaDawg wrote: »
    4) Early Access starts tomorrow, and EA will stream and report on BF every day till release, Oct. 18th/21st.

Early access starts tomorrow? I thought it was the 18th?

• JoesDementia
    708 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    P1asma wrote: »

EA access/origin access trial
  • PBS-iRuthless
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Jumpy-B-L wrote: »

Even then, thought the word was it will be on the 13th which is on Thursday and not tomorrow...
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Even then, thought the word was it will be on the 13th which is on Thursday and not tomorrow...

Thursday IS tomorrow for some parts of the world.
  • PBS-iRuthless
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited October 2016
    Tireseas wrote: »

Nevermind I retract my statement
  • TheQue
    285 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TheQue wrote: »
    @Braddock512

So I have been away for work, which takes precidence over gaming, and when I come back I see this...

https://www.battlefield.com/en-gb/news/article/rent-a-server-for-battlefield-1

The title of the article/announcement is "All You Need To Know About The Battlefield 1 Rent-A-Server Program."

Aside from the fact this is no where close to "All we need to know," I am extremely disappointed that one of the biggest questions was not even glossed over (Kick / Ban ability). Furthermore, I am equally disappointed in the fact that you, as the community relations manager for NA, allowed the moderators to merge the thread I had posted in regards to this issue. This thread is weeks old, and has degraded in conversations again and again, as expected this question has been buried in the rubbish.

The people who are putting out thousands of dollars a year (my group is looking at ~$10,000 a year for the servers, website, TS) do not just Want to know this answer, we NEED to know this answer before we INVEST in creating a community in Battlefield 1. I am not saying it is impossible to create a community without these features, but it is certainly considered to be "not worth the effort" by many who have done it over and over again across several titles. This is not rhetoric, rather, this can easily be researched in titles that lack this ability in a PC environment, even in your own titles.

Any organization, physical or virtual, that rents or leases property expects the ability to control the environment from negativity that may impact the community in which they are attempting to create. Let me use a real example of the virtual space in which many on this forum, and hopefully many of the developers have come across in the past...

Many users utilize 3rd party VoIP programs to communicate with each other. A very popular VoIP solution is TeamSpeak. You can rent and control your own TeamSpeak server for a small fee from several authorized vendors (I think the TS organization has their own rental program as well, but I digress), or you can use a public TeamSpeak server. If you have ever used a public TeamSpeak server (please do so if you have not), you will notice a trend. That trend is every hour or so, some group of drunk or otherwise rowdy group of individuals will log in and move from channel to channel disrupting everything with loud music, hate speach, etc... They will continue to do so until they are eventually removed by the public administrator (often this takes hours). In the mean time, the users are leaving in droves due to the disruption; after all, this is intended as entertainment first and foremost.

This happens on ALL of the official servers for Battlefield 4. Every so often, a group of people will join for the sole purpose of disrupting the community. I am not even talking about the rampant cheaters on the official servers; I am talking about the people who choose to join for the sole purpose of aggravating people and making them leave. In a real-time FPS, it is not hard to do these actions. Some of the actions include, intentionally using bugs, racial or other intolerant speech, generally trolling another player, blowing up allies gear (MedPacks and Ammo Crates), and constantly standing in front of people's line of sight.

How is it this question allowed to be buried? In the thread I created, I specifically asked for that thread to be singled out; and there were 15+ responses in the 30 minutes before it was merged. All of these responses were ON TOPIC and were attempting to explain the importance of this question. Yet, it was merged into a massive thread where more than 30% of the posts are absolutely irrelevant, total speculation, or bashing EA/Dice. I am sure I am going to get a "Time Out" for this post but I am sure you, and your admins, will get the irony of that when it is done.

-Ray[TheQue]

Long quote, but I'm 100 % behind this.

Thank you for your support. I just wish this subject (not relevant to any of the other server configuration abilities) would be answered. @Braddock512 please ask if you can give a simple yes or no on this question. It does not need to be elaborated on, just a simple yes or no would make it so much easier to fund-raise and create an investment plan for a community in BF1.

-Ray[TheQue]
  • VonStiffy
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Did you play SW Battlefront...?

They've dropped the right to Admin your own server.That isn't speculation..it's cold hard fact !
  • Axlerod1
    1384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Do their math. The 13th launch minus today's date of the 11th and you get 1 day, more or less LOL
  • MagmaDawg
    edited October 2016

---

Sorry, meant midnight on Wednesday (tomorrow). But, yeah Thursday.
    Corrections:
    EA Access = Oct. 13th.
    Early Access = Oct. 18th.

• Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VonStiffy wrote: »

They've dropped the right to Admin your own server.That isn't speculation..it's cold hard fact !

Can't drop what was never there to begin with. Battlefront is not Battlefield.
  • Capt_B_L_Willard
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VonStiffy wrote: »

Can't drop what was never there to begin with. Battlefront is not Battlefield.

Yet battlefield 1 is battlefront 2, but let's not go there again lol

This discussion has been closed.