Weekly BF

BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

  • Deity
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Then and only then can they finalize RSP contract details and begin choosing the official RSP's.

    That's just it - telling us officially so we can have a plan in place is good practice -IF- they are going to use the RSPs. An official response that we'll have it available to us is what I'm truly after. They do not need any additional details to tell us that. They either will, or they won't. Either answer has different logistical issues for communities. And one is monetary.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You know as well as I do If they popped in and said "yes, servers will be rentable" Everyone including yourself would start pounding out thread after thread of new questions.

    What RSP's? What are the costs? What presets are supported? what options will we have? can we still kick/ban? can we use procon? etc and so forth.
  • Deity
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Of course some of those things will happen, but that's just fine. Why wouldn't it be? Some of those answers will come from just the official announcement - pricing, for example, could at least be base-lined (e.g.; BFH and BF4 are the same cost, so we'd at least know how much to start to set-aside in coffer funding).

    All of these answers are important. Coming here to ask questions is important. We keep the topics relevant - mainly because they are not important to everyone (superficially), but are extremely important to some of us. So there's nothing wrong with asking, keeping the topic fresh, because those of us who are highly interested are a smaller contingent (for very specific reasons). It's helpful for them to know how important it is to us.

    If the worst thing that happens is they don't answer, we suffer it out until they do. But pressing for additional details in a respectful way with arguments we feel are valuable shouldn't be dissuaded.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Deity7777 wrote: »
    Of course some of those things will happen, but that's just fine. Why wouldn't it be? Some of those answers will come from just the official announcement - pricing, for example, could at least be base-lined (e.g.; BFH and BF4 are the same cost, so we'd at least know how much to start to set-aside in coffer funding).

    All of these answers are important. Coming here to ask questions is important. We keep the topics relevant - mainly because they are not important to everyone (superficially), but are extremely important to some of us. So there's nothing wrong with asking, keeping the topic fresh, because those of us who are highly interested are a smaller contingent (for very specific reasons). It's helpful for them to know how important it is to us.

    If the worst thing that happens is they don't answer, we suffer it out until they do. But pressing for additional details in a respectful way with arguments we feel are valuable shouldn't be dissuaded.

    I agree. I want to know. But I also know there will be an official response at some point with 99% of the info we all want. Bumping a thread is fine, but EA/DICE aren't going to post the info in this thread. It'll be posted in the News Discussion section. And without a doubt there will be at least 10 other posters copying and pasting the same info in this section.

    Regardless, after beta ... I can wait. Just passing on what I know about this subject from many many years of the same thing.

    Costs .... I'd rough it out to about $2.50 USD per slot to be safe.
  • CBBFGun_Plumber
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    I am not going to spend a dime on this game until I know I will be able to lease and manage a server.
  • Deity
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm acutely aware that no one will answer officially in this thread, but that doesn't change the fact that it keeps the topic "wet." Someone still might offer insight before something official comes out.

    And that's all anyone can do. It's a discussion point on a discussion platform. And we're discussing.
  • KetchupNCake
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Well, if we're talking strictly about price, no it won't be the same price as BF4 or BFH. One of the reasons is because of the increased standard tick rate, which is now set to 60hz. I'm assuming this will naturally increase the cost....by how much, I'm not sure.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well, if we're talking strictly about price, no it won't be the same price as BF4 or BFH. One of the reasons is because of the increased standard tick rate, which is now set to 60hz. I'm assuming this will naturally increase the cost....by how much, I'm not sure.

    Well they've also increased performance which negates the tickrate increase.
  • KetchupNCake
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited July 2016
    Well, if we're talking strictly about price, no it won't be the same price as BF4 or BFH. One of the reasons is because of the increased standard tick rate, which is now set to 60hz. I'm assuming this will naturally increase the cost....by how much, I'm not sure.

    Well they've also increased performance which negates the tickrate increase.

    I've spoken to my server rental company already. They said if they do in fact allow similar rental procedures, as they've done in the past, the server load will most likely increase for this game relative to previous platforms. So yes, if most people are already asking about price, expect an increase in cost per slot. By how much, I wasn't given an estimate because its way too early.
  • 2easy4mee
    62 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    And it's July 5th, we don't need to know this right now. We'll know when they tell us. Which I'm sure will be in August after the BETA which is when I'm guessing it'll be.

    We dont have to know? Think this in USA dont have servers and u have to play in europa with like 160-200 ms. You realy dont care to know about that? No all the Battlefield comunity are form US soo in Suth America realy want to know this.
    If u want to play a game like Battlefront here u never find game and in US East servers 150-200 ms AVG.
  • xXWTFXxTHATGUY
    1171 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Deity7777 wrote: »
    This has always been a relevant question - stating that it isn't because the game isn't out yet isn't a logical response. I understand that some don't care about the answer, but that merely indicates that you are logistically disinterested (you neither rent nor manager a server).

    Since servers are a requirement, and the history of Battlefield has been one of privately owned and managed servers, it's deeply concerning to those of us who manage communities where branding our home is important. For us specifically, this equates to 425 current Battlefield members who desire such a home going into Battlefield 1.

    Further, our current Battlefield 4 server nest (Five servers consisting of 310 slots) isn't cheap. More than $300 per month is spent on the machines and server slots - all of which is provided by our gracious membership. To not know if we'll even have servers to rent from RSPs is prohibitive - we don't know how much those servers will cost or what mechanisms we'll have for branding or control (ProCon administration, etc). We have to plan for these things when we are managing coffers and being good stewards of donor monies.

    So these are very relevant, important questions to communities that require the answers and to the administrators who provide the vehicle for those services.

    At this point, while I am quite certain that we will be able to rent servers from the RSPs (because the history and server browser lead me to believe it), an official response would at least allow pricing options to be entertained by those RSPs. Additionally, whether administrative tools will be embedded (RCon)/allowed (ProCon) is extremely important. Not being able to effectively manage a server to suit the needs of the communities we operate is potentially a reason not to rent in the first place (e.g.; Official servers with no administrative tools are not attractive to rent).

    It is indeed time to let us know these answers. Hopefully our benevolent overlords will let us know sooner rather than later. ;)

    That's to much money man go out and see the Sun a bit. Lol but I do agree with you they will let us know I'm sure before the game comes out. And I would assume there will be rent table servers and it will probably be the same price as it is now.
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Still can't believe we haven't heard anything.
  • VonStiffy
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Still can't believe we haven't heard anything.

    Me neither.

    To remain silent isn't a good sign.

    Those that are interested on the subject all know detail isn't required at this stage.
    Simply an affirmation, yes the game will have user rented dedicated servers.

    A personal question...reading the thread, how did you stop your top lip gravitating towards your nose.Mine appears to be stuck ?
  • Deity
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

    That's to much money man go out and see the Sun a bit. Lol but I do agree with you they will let us know I'm sure before the game comes out. And I would assume there will be rent table servers and it will probably be the same price as it is now.

    I get my vitamin D ;). I have a good group of administrators to assist in the day-to-day with the servers, and 425+ members donate to keep the lights on in our home (aka, our servers).

    That said, we'll certainly know before release - my concern is we're in the 3 month window and still don't know. It's something that is coming too soon for large membership organizations to not prepare for.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2016
    Deity7777 wrote: »
    That said, we'll certainly know before release - my concern is we're in the 3 month window and still don't know. It's something that is coming too soon for large membership organizations to not prepare for.

    I certainly hope we know soon. But the lack of any word from EA/DICE, added to the fact that I haven't seen one peep from any of the major GSPs about it even coming soon is concerning. Heck, GSPs were offering bid discounts on BFH servers months out. I hope I am wrong, but I still feel that EA/DICE are going to make the big change here (it IS BF 1, not 5) and run all the servers themselves and no longer give control of servers/gameplay to the users/clans. Sure, you can squad up and stay as a squad, but you browse for and play on "official" dedi servers only. I SO hope I am wrong.
  • MaydaX
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited August 2016
    Deity7777 wrote: »
    I hope I am wrong, but I still feel that EA/DICE are going to make the big change here (it IS BF 1, not 5) and run all the servers themselves and no longer give control of servers/gameplay to the users/clans.

    Considering DICE started doing that with Star Wars Battlefront I wouldn't be surprised if they continued doing it for BF1 and future games.

  • Deity
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    MaydaX wrote: »
    Deity7777 wrote: »
    I hope I am wrong, but I still feel that EA/DICE are going to make the big change here (it IS BF 1, not 5) and run all the servers themselves and no longer give control of servers/gameplay to the users/clans.

    Considering DICE started doing that with Star Wars Battlefront I wouldn't be surprised if they continued doing it for BF1 and future games.

    I don't think they'd DOA a game like that, especially a AAA title, with anything representative of anything they did with Battlefront. We already know there are servers, we know there is a search function for servers, so that leads me to believe that we WILL have rentable servers. I am feeling 90% certain of that.

    What we need, is for them to say that, codify it, and start the conversation with GSPs and communities that wish to rent and manage.

    The fear on my end (and others) is that we'll be able to rent ONLY official (as in BF4 official) servers. Meaning no management. And if that's the case, you are paying a company to "Brand" a machine with your desired server name. That isn't indicative of "community" in any real way. So, hopefully no "good idea fairy" found it's way into the server features development. Something I wish they "community visioned" as much as they did gameplay development.
  • JubDubTV
    345 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Still can't believe we haven't heard anything.

    And What does that matter? The games almost 3 months out....Odd are we'll know around beta time. People need to stop pissing themselves over this lol...As if people need to make them oh so precious plans already.
  • Deity
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Still can't believe we haven't heard anything.

    And What does that matter? The games almost 3 months out....Odd are we'll know around beta time. People need to stop pissing themselves over this lol...As if people need to make them oh so precious plans already.

    I think what/why it matters has been laid out pretty well here. For those that don't manage communities it may not matter at all, so I understand that. I'm sympathetic to the idea that it's not on everyone's radar. I just think it should be on EA/DICE's radar, because it does matter to some of us (e.g., the ones who will be renting).

    You say the game is almost 3 months out as if that's far away. For us, the game is nearly 2.5 months away now, and that is coming up pretty quickly. So I get that the relativity exists for some, but ask a little bit of understanding for the rest of us - because to us it's a big deal.
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Still can't believe we haven't heard anything.

    And What does that matter? The games almost 3 months out....Odd are we'll know around beta time. People need to stop pissing themselves over this lol...As if people need to make them oh so precious plans already.


    Considering people who maintain tools like Procon and the plugins for that need time to migrate it to whatever functionality is in BF1 servers the sooner DICE releases the info the better. This is not just for those doing the work it also benefits people who play on servers.

    Well, assuming we can actually rent and administer servers in BF1 which a lot of prominent BF community members are starting to doubt. --->
    MaydaX wrote: »
    Deity7777 wrote: »
    I hope I am wrong, but I still feel that EA/DICE are going to make the big change here (it IS BF 1, not 5) and run all the servers themselves and no longer give control of servers/gameplay to the users/clans.

    Considering DICE started doing that with Star Wars Battlefront I wouldn't be surprised if they continued doing it for BF1 and future games.

This discussion has been closed.