Weekly BF

BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited August 2016
    just assume there will be server rentals and base your costs around $2 - 2.50 USD a slot.
    If there aren't rentable servers you can refund donations. If slot costs are lower .... you have extra funds to play with. Using the delay in information is no excuse for being unprepared.
    @Deity7777
    You had mentioned in an earlier post about having roughly 310 slots.... hopefully you are running a full dedi for this.
    310 slots @ 1.29 per slot = $399.99 USD a month.
    Managed Windows server 2012 R2 Full Dedicated Server (bare metal, no Virtualisation): $179.99
    • Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 processor (four physical 3.6ghz cores on QPI + hyper threading + turbo->4.0ghz)
    • 32 GB DDR3-1600 ECC memory
    • 240 GB SSD and 2000 GB, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
    • 36000 GB of bandwidth transfer
    • Locations: Atlanta (InterNAP), Chicago (Premium), Dallas (InterNAP), Los Angeles (InterNAP), New York City (InterNAP), San Jose (InterNAP), Seattle (Premium), Frankfurt, Germany (InterNAP)
    • Able to host around 300-350 connected players at once

Managed Full machine BF4/BFH fee is 37.5 cents per slot. (BF1 will be either slightly higher 10-20 cents or the same)
    320 slots (5x 64p) @ $0.375 = $120.00 USD
    Total: 179.99 + 120.00 = $299.99 monthly ($100 savings vs slotted rental)
  • Deity
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    just assume there will be server rentals and base your costs around $2 - 2.50 USD a slot.
    If there aren't rentable servers you can refund donations... Using the delay in information is no excuse for being unprepared.

Thank you; I understand what you are doing. However, it's not getting to the meat of what I'm after - and I don't believe you can. I appreciate the effort. It's for the general community-oriented folks to either rally around or not, but not dismissed as a non-issue (so long as it's an issue to me or some in the community-oriented side of things). The need/desire for the information goes beyond the simple scope.

Additionally, I can't refund donations - the coffer for the GSP, as with other GSPs, are non-refundable and must be used with the company. So, front-loading is important and needs to be done in an accurate way. Being good stewards of donor cash is important to us (as I assume most). It's also not terrible easy even if we could return it (which we can't) - our donor counts range from 75-150 "small increment" donations. That's arduous.

This isn't an excuse to be unprepared - there isnt an excuse at all when you are trying hard to represent a large number of people and maintain the brand. Hence the questions, the relevance to us and communities like us (and all players, whether they see it or not).

I'm picking up that you are tired of the thread, topic or just our persistence - but since that's what these forums are for I see no reason for us to stop. Keeping the topic "wet" is the most important thing overall. If it's not important to you, I completely accept that.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It is without a doubt very important to me. I'm not buying if there aren't rentable and adminable servers. I've been in your shoes before. Large communities/clan, multiple games, dedi servers NA and EU. I'm building a new one as we speak.
    I'm all for keeping the topic relevant. The fear mongering and false statements on the subject is what I'm tired of. None of which is directed at you in the slightest.
  • l-Snowblind-l
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Adding something to think about here ....Server browser was ok in the alpha and its what we will be seeing in the future of the titles that were on battlelog. RIP battlelog ...

To say there will be dedicated servers to rent ... who knows but the server browser does suggest it could have the potential to have rentable servers but does not guarantee it. Regardless of the community getting rentable servers will not change the fact that games are going to dedicated hosting by game devs and pushing out the 3rd party hosting all together. This is GOING to happen weather we like it or not in the future. I hope I am wrong and we get what we all want and we see exactly what we all want but its not the future of server hosting by 3rd parties and it will be gone before too long. :/

Again .. I hope I am wrong and we get everything we want.
  • CBBFGun_Plumber
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    Adding something to think about here ....Server browser was ok in the alpha and its what we will be seeing in the future of the titles that were on battlelog. RIP battlelog ...

To say there will be dedicated servers to rent ... who knows but the server browser does suggest it could have the potential to have rentable servers but does not guarantee it. Regardless of the community getting rentable servers will not change the fact that games are going to dedicated hosting by game devs and pushing out the 3rd party hosting all together. This is GOING to happen weather we like it or not in the future. I hope I am wrong and we get what we all want and we see exactly what we all want but its not the future of server hosting by 3rd parties and it will be gone before too long. :/

I really don't care who hosts (rents, markets, makes $$ providing servers) what is most important to me and my group of friends is the ability for the lessee to manage the rented server. The ability to manage/admin the rented server is of the utmost importance to me and my friends. Games today range in cost from $50-$100 USD. For this amount of money, I expect the ability to manage the server I rent.

Why are most public, non managed servers empty? Because far too many players, young and old, do not respect other players. The game companies don't care about the PC gamer who has carried them all these years. I feel as if they would stop programming for PC players and simply stick to the console age because it is fast easy $$ for them.

Lets face it today, the developer and marketing team (EA) have figured out they can post a HUGE profit from PRE-Sale of the game. Think about this, you and I are willing to buy a game and then wait months to play the game early if we pre-buy early enough. EA screwed all the people that pre-ordered to receive special maps or game content early in BF3 and BF4 by allowing other players to buy the content later.

What the hell, this is the opinion of a long time PC gamer with disposable income. Maybe I will go Pre-Order a Corvette and drive the wheels of it then I wont feel like I wasted my money.
  • l-Snowblind-l
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I really don't care who hosts (rents, markets, makes $$ providing servers) what is most important to me and my group of friends is the ability for the lessee to manage the rented server. The ability to manage/admin the rented server is of the utmost importance to me and my friends. Games today range in cost from $50-$100 USD. For this amount of money, I expect the ability to manage the server I rent..

I don't disagree at all!!! But that's not where hosting is going. Game devs don't want us to have our own rules or our own settings or really anything other than what they think the game needs. Its about what they want not what we want. I hope I am wrong and everyone gets to shove it back in my face :(

• CBBFGun_Plumber
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member

I really don't care who hosts (rents, markets, makes $$ providing servers) what is most important to me and my group of friends is the ability for the lessee to manage the rented server. The ability to manage/admin the rented server is of the utmost importance to me and my friends. Games today range in cost from $50-$100 USD. For this amount of money, I expect the ability to manage the server I rent..

I don't disagree at all!!! But that's not where hosting is going. Game devs don't want us to have our own rules or our own settings or really anything other than what they think the game needs. Its about what they want not what we want. I hope I am wrong and everyone gets to shove it back in my face :(

I think you and I are in agreement on that point. The real question is what make a game franchise successful in the eyes of the Developer and marketing company, in this case DICE and EA? Sales period! They don't care if people are still playing in six months, a year or two years after the game is released. A prime example is the game Hardline. The game was pre-sold and made money therefore it was a successful game. How many people are still playing it today?

I am a long time fan of the battlefield series and I will not spend a dime on BF1 until they announce leased servers with administrative controls.

• Axlerod1
    1382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    With less then 2 months to go, I can only speculate that there will not be rental servers. It will be like official servers. No control. Hackers, name calling racist comments and so on.

If you call on any of the hosting companies and they say they do not know. No plans yet. You would think EA/DICE would of said something months ago about this. The have told us everything else about the server, 60 hz, 64 players, server browser, friends list, but nothing on being able to admin a rented server.

If that is true, then this would be the 3rd game in a row for DICE that was an epic failure money and volume wise.

In my group there are over 200 of us looking forward to this game. Not one of us has pre-ordered. None of us plan on getting it until we see an announcement of rentable servers that can be adminned.

ARMA 3 is starting to gain some appeal with me
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2016
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    If that is true, then this would be the 3rd game in a row for DICE that was an epic failure money and volume wise. In my group there are over 200 of us looking forward to this game. Not one of us has pre-ordered. None of us plan on getting it until we see an announcement of rentable servers that can be adminned.

ARMA 3 is starting to gain some appeal with me

Our group is in the same boat, waiting for something that will allow us to control the gameplay as we have in every other BF title, but not getting any indication it will happen, and we too have not preordered any copies. We left CoD for this very same reason after Black Ops.&MW3. Unfortunately, there is one thing I disagree, and that is that it being a failure money/volume wise. I think that they will be monetarily successful but that will be due to console sales and the PC community that just wants to hop on and play instead of playing as an organized group. We have moved to smaller options like Insurgency/Day Of Infamy and have considered ARMA as well. Again, I hope I will be proven wrong but with less than 2 months to go, I fear we will be proven correct in not having the rentable user adminned servers.
  • Axlerod1
    1382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I keep waiting to be told "I told ya so" but with less than 3 months to go, I have to think SWBF all over again. Not fun at all.

DICE's last 2 games were failures, they can not afford a threepeat.
  • xxSTAINSxx
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    I keep waiting to be told "I told ya so" but with less than 3 months to go, I have to think SWBF all over again. Not fun at all.

DICE's last 2 games were failures, they can not afford a threepeat.

yup..thats about the only thing that might stop me from getting it.i'm sure i can get used to some of the changes made but not having admined servers like we have now is a hard pill to swallow.
  • llll-Rogue-llll
    66 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    8 weeks to go untill relase ( 7 weeks for early access ) cutting it a bit fine with server hosting news here, as a few have said already our community has held off buying untill we have news on the server hosting abilities, We have hosted servers since BF2 in the series, but if they do decide to remove the diversity of community run servers then we will be looking for another series / game to replace Battlefield !
    We (all clans and communities) need to know the way forward here, either way we will be dropping our BF4 server in Oct !
  • rv112
    172 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Rumors from ex DICE dev says there will be NO dedicated servers and only official preset! :O So no possibility to change tickets, time, slots, weapons, high pingers...
    https://forum.myrcon.com/showthread.php?6580-BF4-Server-Patches/page430
  • Rev0verDrive
    rv112 wrote: »
    Rumors from ex DICE dev says there will be NO dedicated servers and only official preset! :O So no possibility to change tickets, time, slots, weapons, high pingers...

Did you read the rest of it? If not you should.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    rv112 wrote: »

Although I am afraid that we will be looking at BF1 as the death of PC clan community (as far as this and future Battlefield games are concerned), this rumor you posted was just the guy screwing around. Go to the next page of posts and he admits to that.
  • Rev0verDrive
    Go to page 431, second to last post.
    For the record since some of you guys are taking my posts as gospel, I'm just screwing around with you guys, I haven't touched DICE anything since when I left in January, and have no idea what's planned - DarkLord

Please read thoroughly before posting false info.
  • ikjadoon
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    edited August 2016
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/4tn92c/battlefield_1_alpha_netcode_analysis/d5iveat

There will be customization, assuredly. But. all we know now is that whatever customizations are made, they will likely be more transparent to the players BEFORE joining.
  • Rev0verDrive
    ^^^^ That's credible info. Thanks.
  • l-Snowblind-l
    ikjadoon wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/4tn92c/battlefield_1_alpha_netcode_analysis/d5iveat

There will be customization, assuredly. But. all we know now is that whatever customizations are made, they will likely be more transparent to the players BEFORE joining.

Credible, yes ..... informative, meh. :/
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Hahaha,

I told you guys they will lock down servers in BF1 and you called me crazy. THis is why we haven't heard any news about servers through official channels yet. BF1 is going to fail because of this.
This discussion has been closed.