BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• Axlerod1
    1384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well I agree there needs to be changes to custom server settings. If settings get changed not only should they be custom but should also be unranked.
  • l-Snowblind-l
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    BF1 is going to fail because of this.

Not on the consoles .. they will eat it up with a spoon and love it. So in the mind of DICE ... as long as consoles sales are high .. they will not care :(
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 is going to fail because of this.

Not on the consoles .. they will eat it up with a spoon and love it. So in the mind of DICE ... as long as consoles sales are high .. they will not care :(

Unfortunately for the PC community, you are probably right on point there. And after playing the beta today, I have to say it reminded me more of playing SWBF than of Battlefield. I know that they are only using official DICE servers for this beta (unlike what they did with BFH). but with the exception of being set in WW1 and not in the Empire, this felt so much like it did when I played SWBF, that I am more certain that there will not be rental servers that can be set up with custom settings. EA/DICE official servers only I fear is what we will be looking at. Hope I'm wrong, but for me and my clan, until I am proven wrong, we won't be buying.
  • ChiefJoboo
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Rented servers with power crazy people is what drives me away to play on such servers on battlefield 4. I try to avoid them and play on official DICE servers when I can. The only times I get into a rented server on bf4 is when they name their server to look like a dice server.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ChiefJoboo wrote: »
    Rented servers with power crazy people is what drives me away to play on such servers on battlefield 4. I try to avoid them and play on official DICE servers when I can. The only times I get into a rented server on bf4 is when they name their server to look like a dice server.

And that's great that you can have the option to play on official only servers. But take away the rented servers and then a whole section of players (many of who are not the "power crazy" folks you speak of) have no options to play the way they like and have played since Battlefield started.
  • l-Snowblind-l
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    westyjoe wrote: »
    Hope I'm wrong, but for me and my clan, until I am proven wrong, we won't be buying.

You and me both ... I hope we are wrong and we as the PC community get what we want. Not likely but hey there is always hope :)
  • Axlerod1
    1384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Normally DICE/EA let server providers test out the servers during such beta tests. There are none. Server providers have been cut out.

This is going to be SWBF all over again with cheater running rampant with 100 kill streaks and not in vehicles.

Looks like I won't be buying this game.
  • westyjoe
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    Normally DICE/EA let server providers test out the servers during such beta tests. There are none. Server providers have been cut out.

This is going to be SWBF all over again with cheater running rampant with 100 kill streaks and not in vehicles.

Looks like I won't be buying this game.

It is really a shame that EA/DICE have appeared to go the same route as Activision/IW did with CoD. Removing the ability for GSPs has essentially killed the game for PCs (except the casual, lone players). I think that this had the possibility of reigniting PC platoons/clans behind a game and really grow a great, devoted base of players. Instead, they will get a bunch of loners who won't play or work together and make the experience all the less enjoyable for us who like to play tactically as a platoon. And in a year, this game will be on the same pile of unplayed games like SWBF, the last CoDs and BFH (which was a real miss overall)
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Did some some connection snooping (netstat) while playing and all of the beta servers are setup through RackSpace. At least the one's I've tested anyway.
  • Scratch-DoD-
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2016
    Did some some connection snooping (netstat) while playing and all of the beta servers are setup through RackSpace. At least the one's I've tested anyway.

Good idea Rev....... RackSpace......thats not good to hear........but we will see.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Good idea Rev....... RackSpace......thats not good to hear........but we will see.

Well for beta purposes it's fine. Single company contract, server testing etc through one source versus 10+.
  • ikjadoon
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    Uh, server customization IS ALREADY confirmed.

http://prnt.sc/ccratx
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/4tn92c/battlefield_1_alpha_netcode_analysis/d5iveat

Put two and two together, guys....and you'll see that custom servers are 100% confirmed for BF1.

The more pressing issue, possibly: is server MANAGEMENT confirmed? Unsure. Will servers have administrators? Will servers have plugins for balancing, for VIP slots, donations, server stat-tracking, etc.?
  • l-Snowblind-l
    ikjadoon wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/4tn92c/battlefield_1_alpha_netcode_analysis/d5iveat

Put two and two together, guys....and you'll see that custom servers are 100% confirmed for BF1.

The more pressing issue, possibly: is server MANAGEMENT confirmed? Unsure. Will servers have administrators? Will servers have plugins for balancing, for VIP slots, donations, server stat-tracking, etc.?

Custom servers does not mean we can rent them and control them. That reddit post was already discussed in this thread.

As for your 2 and 2 it = no rent-able servers from DICE/EA for PC/CONSOLE communities.

DICE/EA will control the servers for you. They will control the experience you have on their game ;)
  • usermac86
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2016
    Is there going to be dedicated servers to rent on Battlefield 1 ?
    Post edited by usermac86 on
  • Rev0verDrive
    ikjadoon wrote: »

Custom servers does not mean we can rent them and control them. That reddit post was already discussed in this thread.

As for your 2 and 2 it = no rent-able servers from DICE/EA for PC/CONSOLE communities.

DICE/EA will control the servers for you. They will control the experience you have on their game ;)

That's a hella conspiracy theory you have there.
  • Rev0verDrive
    edited September 2016
    The image from the BF1 Beta server browser clearly shows they have increased the number of optional server settings.
    • Kits/Vehicles (ON/OFF)
    • Weapons (ON/OFF)
    • Miscellaneous (ON/OFF)
    • Rules (ON/OFF)
    The list of options under each will more than likely increase in the release. e.g. Vehicles not listed under (KITS/VEHICLES).

# Also you can clearly see in the server list a Preset (custom) has been defined. This indicates there is the "potential" for other presets (Classic, Hardcore). We know Normal is the default. Custom is just a placeholder for now. There's also a game type icon. This indicates there will be other options (Official, Ranked, Unranked).

All of these options clearly indicate rentable servers. What they don't indicate is "HOW" server owners will manage them (Rcon or server browser interface) or if procon (plugins) are options.

Why code and design the interface to work with these values if servers aren't going to be rentable? EA isn't going to buck up millions for infinite server setups when the consumer will do it for them. We will have rentable servers. It's now just a matter of how do we manage them and if procon/plugins are viable.

zZvTSJz.jpg

6C2M5tx.jpg

Edit for clarity....
    // what we absolutely know
    S_type_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ = 1; // Server types [official]
    Preset_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ = 2; // [normal, custom]
    Mode_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ = 6; // [conquest, domination, operations, rush, war pigeons, tdm]

Server_combinations = ((S_type_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ * Preset_¯\_(ツ)_/¯) * Mode_¯\_(ツ)_/¯); // 12 Known combinations

// Potentials
    S_type_potential_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ = 4; // [official, ranked, unranked, private]
    Preset_potential_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ = 4; // [normal, hardcore, classic, custom]

Server_combinations = ((S_type_potential_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ * Preset_potential_¯\_(ツ)_/¯) * Mode_¯\_(ツ)_/¯); // 96 Potential combinations

Post edited by Rev0verDrive on
  • westyjoe
    edited September 2016
    We will have rentable servers. It's now just a matter of how do we manage them and if procon/plugins are viable.

Nice work Rev. The first hopeful sign I have seen concerning this. Hope that thread of hope grows into a rope (and not a noose).
    Post edited by westyjoe on
  • l-Snowblind-l
    That's a hella conspiracy theory you have there.

I like your book and slide show presentation for your theory, well planned good sir.

When proven wrong i will eat my words rev. From what i know we will not get what we want no matter how many presentations you give :'( facts are facts and consoles dictate gaming and consoles DONT need rentable servers to play. PC gaming will suffer and we will deal because the gap has to be closed before we all get to be on the same page. Unfortunately console gaming dictates that, its where the $$$$ is.

Final thought for me on this cause we have gone back and forth before on this.

Weather or not this title gets what the PC community wants will be determined real soon. If by some LUCKY chance we get our dedicated rentable servers, the future will not have them in gaming. Devs dont want us to have control of the experience their game gives. Titanfall Battlefront CSGO LoL WoW etc... look at the trend ... all hosted with private hosting to allow you to play on a matchmaking service of some kind. Because you add a server browser with some custom options for you to choose from doesnt mean they are going to let you manage their server and game experience. The future is coming B)

(side note - yes you can rent servers in CSGO for competitive or casual play but why would you, the match making service in that game is great for competitive or casual play)
  • MastaDamage
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Is this true? Cause this will suck if we are forced to play on Crap EA servers like Battlefront.
  • TML8
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    So apparently someone got a reply from GPortal about this? Can't of course say if they have actual info or what, but anyway.

http://www.anarchygaming.uk/Forum/battlefield-5/bf1-server-rentals/

Such a shame if this really is how it will be.
    Certainly starting to look like it.... :(
This discussion has been closed.