Weekly BF

BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• Oap-ichijikuibo
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I will be very happy if DICE really have decided to stop the cheating server admins, BF4 has just got completely ridiculous there are very few hardcore servers you can join where you don't get kicked/banned for stupid reasons such as jumping, using a gun they don't like, an admin joining and of course entire teams getting killed because the admin side is losing. If they are finally going to stop these cheats I might actually buy this game and those who want to rent servers have no one but themselves to blame.
  • TML8
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2016
    Bad servers are bad servers, good servers are good servers.
    On good rented servers the games are by far the best BF4 has to offer.

It's nothing away from anybody if the option for ranked, not official, servers are there.
    If you don't want to ever run into "badmins", then only play official servers. Simple as that.

There is a huge amount of people out there however that enjoy games by far the most on ranked servers.
    This (likely) limitation to servers is without a doubt a huge hit on long-term interest among PC platoons.
  • Crackhead88
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The servers are under the control of EA right now because it's BETA.

Yes, there will be private servers.
  • Toolazy2Diee
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    I will be very happy if DICE really have decided to stop the cheating server admins, BF4 has just got completely ridiculous there are very few hardcore servers you can join where you don't get kicked/banned for stupid reasons such as jumping, using a gun they don't like, an admin joining and of course entire teams getting killed because the admin side is losing. If they are finally going to stop these cheats I might actually buy this game and those who want to rent servers have no one but themselves to blame.

Cheating server admins? I do not know where have you been playing. Ranked servers with full admin control is the best in BF4 (and BF3 etc). If killing BF game communities (and the game itself in PC) is the main purpose, yeah please do not give any control to any admins. This game will be a short one at least in PC :)
  • BigF33t_13
    6717 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

That has yet been confirmed. With previous beta's it was long confirmed, and server hosts were already announced. I'm doubting there will be private servers. It may be their best chance at squashing cheaters.
  • Valgua77
    63 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My god! Private servers are a must. There is a reason for BF4 still being very popular on PC: private servers. In fact, all the most successfull fps multiplayers on pc have private servers. You want to give the community the option to tailor suit the experience for maximum enjoyment.
  • lolgoturtags
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    lets hope there are servers as our clan 20+ wont be getting it
  • LSG_Marponsa
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    i doubt that they wont have private servers, like what would be the point to the server browser when we wouldnt even have private servers :D
  • Crackhead88
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 2016
    BiggyD1313 wrote: »

That has yet been confirmed. With previous beta's it was long confirmed, and server hosts were already announced. I'm doubting there will be private servers. It may be their best chance at squashing cheaters.

I think it's safe to say there will be and yes they did confirm dedicated servers months ago.

How exactly does EA running the servers squash cheaters, Battlefront is a hacker fest.
    the best line of defense against cheaters is admins, always has been, always will be.

• P1asma
    348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I think it's safe to say there will be and yes they did confirm dedicated servers months ago.

Proof?

• Oap-ichijikuibo
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have only ever once seen an official server on BF4 for PC on hardcore in Europe was great playing on it then when i rejoined it a week later it had every broken script and weapon restriction you could imagine but of course still said no rules in the title. Even on servers where the admins don't cheat(kill entire teams when they are losing) they at least have stupid rules to warp the game to suit them and it spoils the game to have to worry about not jumping while an admin might be shooting at you or if a player has completely left their spawn before shooting.
  • MastaDamage
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hackers and cheaters are usually on the games servers, not Admin controlled.
  • R0gueWarrior
    158 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The image from the BF1 Beta server browser clearly shows they have increased the number of optional server settings.
    • Kits/Vehicles (ON/OFF)
    • Weapons (ON/OFF)
    • Miscellaneous (ON/OFF)
    • Rules (ON/OFF)
    The list of options under each will more than likely increase in the release. e.g. Vehicles not listed under (KITS/VEHICLES).

# Also you can clearly see in the server list a Preset (custom) has been defined. This indicates there is the "potential" for other presets (Classic, Hardcore). We know Normal is the default. Custom is just a placeholder for now. There's also a game type icon. This indicates there will be other options (Official, Ranked, Unranked).

All of these options clearly indicate rentable servers. What they don't indicate is "HOW" server owners will manage them (Rcon or server browser interface) or if procon (plugins) are options.

Why code and design the interface to work with these values if servers aren't going to be rentable? EA isn't going to buck up millions for infinite server setups when the consumer will do it for them. We will have rentable servers. It's now just a matter of how do we manage them and if procon/plugins are viable.

zZvTSJz.jpg

6C2M5tx.jpg

@Axlerod1 @Deity7777

Good Call, I noticed this too just didn't have the time to post
  • TML8
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    As to the point about server info in the screenshots quoted above, e.g. kits/vehicles on/off, what I thought might be the case is that the same interface will roll onto BF4 PC. Since BF4 has rental servers with a wide variety of options that information has to be there.
    So it might be that it is simply unified with BF4. Just in the case of BF1 most of them never change.

Although one option is that even though Procon etc wouldn't be supported, maybe there will be a wide variety of controls via the DICE rental system... who knows. It isn't exactly impossible.
    That would be of course better than just basic controls, which I think consoles have?
    Naturally the level on control will surely not match that of Procon etc. with plugins.

Still the fact doesn't change that servers with limited controls will severely impact the longevity of PC BF1 communities/player base.
    Really hope the information is just late..... but there is this atmosphere that server rental will be extremely limited. :(
  • Reverend-1313
    178 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Yeah i'm starting to get a "where there's smoke there's Fire feeling" . The fact EA is remaining silent on this is very very troubling. In my opinion its 1 of 2 things, their hiding something so it doesn't screw with sales, or they view the people who care about these things as such a small % of the community its not worth the time to respond to concerns. Its probably the latter as EA is a large business and doesn't exactly have a solid track record with honest communication.
  • CSGarrett
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Since it's a short time until launch and no announcement of any RSP game server providers - think it's a DICE servers only plan AFAIK. With the way the lag icons were on pretty much non stop for me - compared to hardly ever in private BF4 servers - and confirming it wasn't an issue with my connection (it wasn't) - don't have much long term hope for this game for the PC and Clan community as a whole.

Can't remember how far out time wise they announced them - but here's the RSPs they announced for BF4 btw: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/pc-game-server-providers-for-battlefield-4/
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2016
    The only new information I've read (Not Confirmed) is that EA will be the RSP/GSP versus multiple 3rd party companies under contract and NDA .... AND that procon will not be viable.

For the record this has not been confirmed.

Regarding EA as the GSP I do not see this as an issue. It'll work the same as it did with any other GSP but with some added benefits.
    1. EA/DICE fully control the server files. No 3rd party leaks.
    2. EA/DICE fully control the performance of the servers and the hardware used.
    3. Potentially lower slot costs and gained performance.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The only new information I've read (Not Confirmed) is that EA will be the RSP/GSP versus multiple 3rd party companies under contract and NDA .... AND that procon will not be viable.

Regarding EA as the GSP I do not see this as an issue. It'll work the same as it did with any other GSP but with some added benefits.

I hope your right. Because you know how effective one company doing everything has worked in the past...
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    westyjoe wrote: »
    I hope your right. Because you know how effective one company doing everything has worked in the past...

Hahahhaaaa I hear that.
  • TML8
    edited September 2016
    Yeah i'm starting to get a "where there's smoke there's Fire feeling" . The fact EA is remaining silent on this is very very troubling. In my opinion its 1 of 2 things, their hiding something so it doesn't screw with sales, or they view the people who care about these things as such a small % of the community its not worth the time to respond to concerns. Its probably the latter as EA is a large business and doesn't exactly have a solid track record with honest communication.
    Yeah I do that picture too, but I think it has the exact opposite effect. People not hearing about rentable servers are cancelling pre-orders and already now deciding they will not pick up the game or will do so in a year during sales.
    CSGarrett wrote: »
    Since it's a short time until launch and no announcement of any RSP game server providers - think it's a DICE servers only plan AFAIK. With the way the lag icons were on pretty much non stop for me - compared to hardly ever in private BF4 servers - and confirming it wasn't an issue with my connection (it wasn't) - don't have much long term hope for this game for the PC and Clan community as a whole.

Can't remember how far out time wise they announced them - but here's the RSPs they announced for BF4 btw: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/pc-game-server-providers-for-battlefield-4/
    I rememeber someone somewhere, I think Twitter, pointing out that the hardware used on some providers of beta servers are not up to par. This was based on following server IP's to the provider.
    Would explain the icons.

What does 1. refer to? No leaks of content in upcoming DLC or what? Surely that is something that RSPs would have NDAs for. Or do you mean something else?

About 2 and 3, I'd imagine the opposite will happen at least with performance, or it is definitely a possibility.
    RSP's compete with other RSP's. The fact that their servers work well is what sells their product. A single entity selling via EA does not have that pressure. Also I'm sure EA would love to increase the profit margin there.
    Yeah it probably would mean lower slot costs, but at a cost. Alternatively it's the same but more money is taken in the middle.

Don't like being cynical, but I just think it's a fairly likely scenario. :)
    Or at least it is one possible scenario, likelihoods being a coin toss.

This is nothing on DICE, as I believe the choices made in regards to RSP's and making a stripped down monopoly of the business is something EA would have their hands in.
    I would imagine DICE has plenty of die hard gamers, and they would most likely fall into the category of community driven rental servers.
    Who knows.

Whatever it may be that happens, some information should really be given soon enough. At least before the game is released.

This discussion has been closed.