BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• GitSum
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    At this point it is getting too close to the release date to really do anything about renting a server for a Clan

In the past, we would have already polled our members - what size of server do we want to rent, how many, what modes, what do we do with our BF4 server, what do we do with our support server that runs Procon, etc.

With the lack of info from EA - they are basically forcing our hand to NOT get a BF1 server at this point, even if they do become available and allow some sort of rcon access. And, without 'community servers' count me as someone who won't be purchasing this game either
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    dfk_7677 wrote: »
    Even if it is a logical conclusion, the details still have not emerged. Even if procon is gone, you don't know if they have an alternative...

Until then, logical conclusions are still flawed since you don't know any details. Rumor is bad, whether it is about somethin good or bad

I guess 'rumors' (or the euphemism 'flawed logical conclusion') spreading is EA's problem and comes from the decision to not share any details. You assume it is because of the their legal department, I assume it is because it is news bad for marketing.

Thank God, some guys will start playing the game on the 13th, so the rest of us will know the info about the servers, that we deserve as potential consumers of the product.

Usually in life you have to make decisions without knowing the complete information, based only on some info and your own logical conclusions. If I expected all the details about my decisions, I would decide for nothing.

Honestly, if they wait till the 13th and we get the information from unofficial sources before DICE themselves I'll be done with the game. I'll be beyond caring whether they give us the expected functionality or not. Even if they somehow exceed expectations it'll be offset by the inexcusable communication lapses. Best case if that happens, I pick up the game on sale when/if DICE LA take over stewardship. If it lives that long. It'll also be strike three on DICE themselves, after the BF4 launch and Battlefront.
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    The only plausible explanation is the news is bad. No way EA would be this opaque if it was good news in any way. Prepare for disappointment, Soon ™.
  • ThePoolshark
    2502 postsMember, Game Changer, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Game Changer
    Baabbas wrote: »
    (....) lets say that the rumor is true, and BF1 comes stripped with all those handy functions that existed in previous games, what then?
    Ea\Dice will go back and make it all better?

Let's not assume the rumor is true. Always assume rumors are false

@ThePoolshark
    What you ask us as a community to do is "difficult" at best and is in my opinion unreasonable at this point in time. Leaving us in the PC community STILL completely in the dark about CRITICAL "make or break" game play mechanic's so close to launch naturally invites a well justified anger and pessimism from us in the PC community. Braddock's late introduction and response while appreciated, is seen by many of us as too little too late (put another way, damage control). Deductive reasoning combined with educated conjecture are useful tools in absence of official disclosure. I don't expect to be right about everything, but I feel confident I and others overall bleak projection of the coming PC Server announcement / changes wont be far off the mark.

Like I said, I completely agree they have waited far too long.
  • ThePoolshark
    2502 postsMember, Game Changer, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Game Changer
    fumzz wrote: »

Did you not understand my point? It looks terrible when mods come in here to dump on users who're expressing a legit concern. You should get personal accounts for this.

Unless I am banning someone or locking a thread, EVERYTHING is my opinion. If people are dumb, I am totally calling it out. Sorry if you don't like it

Clearly, you did not understand my point.

Again, it *LOOKS* terrible when, *AS MODERATOR*, you call out users, either individually or as a group, for statements *YOU PERSONALLY VIEW* as ignorant or stupid. The statements you call out may very well be ignorant, and they may very well be stupid; that's besides the point. The point is that you have that big-ole "moderator" tag and people tend to not push back for *FEAR* of getting banned.

Simply put: the perception is that you're acting as a bully. Having all the other moderators come in to back you up doesn't make this any better, only worse.

Having a moderator tag does not make one immune to ignorance and/or stupidity. There was a post a mod made in this thread about how Fairfight works that exemplified just that.

All I'm saying is if you want to get into it with guys, have at it, just have at it without the gun and badge, because picking fights while possessing the power to ban makes you look terrible; it looks as if you guys fundamentally do not understand your role and instead are just trying to quell dissent at what is, arguably, a really bad situation.

Ok, and we can get into debates with anyone as long as you don't cross the line. Once that happens, we have to "put the badge on". That will make us look like a bully regardless. As I said before, I don't care what people think of my opinions... they are my opinion, but if you start bashing an opinion directly and becoming out of line, we will handle it. I am a reasonable person, but if you start getting out of line, expect to be actioned on here.
  • fvmz
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I do love irony... thank you for this.
    ... I understand that EA has a legal team that is a pain to work with....
    I feel the community can be dumb at times. Believing rumor is something all communities do, regardless of the game, and I feel that is extremely dumb.

I must have missed the post by Braddock, or anyone else at EA/DICE saying the hold up on releasing server info was because of the legal team. Can someone link me please? Thanks.
    Believing rumor is something all communities do, regardless of the game, and I feel that is extremely dumb.

Fact trumps rumour every time.

I feel it would be wise of our community to wait for official confirmation rather than believe some user on the internet in a subreddit, Or third party forum / gaming website.

Fact is, If it is not announced officially through the official EA / Battlefield channels, Then it is best to wait until such time that there is official confirmation.

I stand by Poolshark's reasoning 100%.

Or moderator, right? If a moderator can speculate, with no facts posted by EA/DICE, then please explain how these same mods can dump on the customer base for doing the same thing? I'd love to have that "reasoning" explained... because I'm stupid and ignorant.

• ThePoolshark
    I do love irony... thank you for this.
    ... I understand that EA has a legal team that is a pain to work with....
    I feel the community can be dumb at times. Believing rumor is something all communities do, regardless of the game, and I feel that is extremely dumb.

I must have missed the post by Braddock, or anyone else at EA/DICE saying the hold up on releasing server info was because of the legal team. Can someone link me please? Thanks.
    Believing rumor is something all communities do, regardless of the game, and I feel that is extremely dumb.

Fact trumps rumour every time.

I feel it would be wise of our community to wait for official confirmation rather than believe some user on the internet in a subreddit, Or third party forum / gaming website.

Fact is, If it is not announced officially through the official EA / Battlefield channels, Then it is best to wait until such time that there is official confirmation.

I stand by Poolshark's reasoning 100%.

Or moderator, right? If a moderator can speculate, with no facts posted by EA/DICE, then please explain how these same mods can dump on the customer base for doing the same thing? I'd love to have that "reasoning" explained... because I'm stupid and ignorant.

You must not know how companies work. EA has a communications team and a legal team... both of them have to give the go ahead on when things are communicated. He didn't say it because he assumed (obviously incorrectly) people knew how the world works. This thread is obviously gone.... locking it now so no further spread of misinformation can continue
  • SemperFi-Vivi
    450 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    Also think of this, if they decide to shut the servers down in 6 months or a year or whenever then that is it. GAME OVER

There will be no resurrecting this game after they close it like BF2 and BF2142. DICE can make this game as short lived or long lifed as they want. If they do this we have no control.

You sir are damn right, also your last post in that closed thread was golden.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This thread is re-opened. However, should it devolve into completely a non-constructive rumor-mill again, it will be locked.

Do not create additional threads. We will keep this open for discussion, questions, etc. all others will be locked.

-Braddock512-

Thanks.
  • Strongestweed
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    This thread is re-opened. However, should it devolve into completely a non-constructive rumor-mill again, it will be locked.

Do not create additional threads. We will keep this open for discussion, questions, etc. all others will be locked.

-Braddock512-

Cheers man
  • Avery78
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    For me the heart and sole in playing Battlefield over the years has been the communities that server rental brings. There is something endearing and special about playing with friends with this mechanism in place. The biggest factor for purchase consideration for BF1 is this decision. The main reason why is the control over cheaters, official measures aren't enough because they are too slow. Everything is open to cheats but own server control gives added layers on top of that which is, after 15+ years of FPS play is what means the most to me. More could be done to bring the communities together that run servers and generate safer environments in turn leading to game recommendation (which I'm sure is a success metric) Vs a Battlefront type approach. Don't destroy this game before it even comes out for so many that are used to the added protection layers that come with server rentals. Thanks for listening.
  • dfk_7677
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Thank you @Braddock512
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well since we can't speculate on the announcement that's coming "soon" and the mods have proven worse than useless at dispelling misconceptions pending said announcement what else is there to discuss? Constructively candid community feedback on the process that led us to where we're sitting perhaps? I mean I don't want to come off as overly hostile, but at this point, if I'm being honest we passed mildly irked a long time ago and the reassuring glow of white hot fury is visible over the horizon.

I mean let's be blunt here, you DO realize what a quagmire has been created here that should've been a relatively simple matter of answering a question? The DICE corporate structure does at some level comprehend what they're teetering on with this sort of thing if it becomes anything remotely resembling standard operating rules?
  • SemperFi-Vivi
    450 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    Well, point is that if there will be dedicated servers then it's really easy for EA to just announce it up front, why not? They never were so secretive about this before and what would they lose?

But now suddenly they are, which seems to me they think their 'announcement' regarding dedicated servers will lose them pre-orders. Hence why they are keeping it quiet until release. Because after release you can't cancel pre-orders :)

And don't come with 'They are still working on it'. Please. It's two weeks before launch, don't make me laugh.
  • Tireseas
    The sad thing is, they may quite literally still be working on it... which has troubling implications for whomever was in charge of keeping things on schedule. No sane management would willingly cut things this close.
  • S5_Jdge320
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    I suppose if we dont get to run servers on nfo like in the past we can ask for a refund on the money wasted on getting dedicated boxes for our 1 server in prep of bf1?

I mean, I guess its our fault we thought BF1 could be hosted on the best server NFO had at the time. and we decided our server would run better there too. So we upgraded. So We could handle a bf4 and a bf1 at once. It was a good clan decision at the time. But you see, thats the thing, Clans have to decide on what to do with the money and donations BEFORE A GAME COMES OUT!!!!

Now we may or may not be stuck with larger payments because no one knows whats going on. I can say, that as a group, We wont mass purchase the game til we know for sure.

• SirBobdk
    4540 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Because after release you can't cancel pre-orders :)

You can buy the game on release date, try it and return it if you dont like it.
    but the same does not apply for preorder?? Do i understand it correct.
  • RAGDOLL2020
    98 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    On release date a pre-order becomes a purchase, eligible for refund.
This discussion has been closed.