BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Comments

• labtud
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You do know that it is believed you will not have choice in what 3rd party server you will end up renting if it is true that renting a server is done through EA right ? they decide not the person/clan paying for it
  • Arne99
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Personally I prefer badmins every day in the week above cheater ridden servers.
    And so far I have not seen any thing on the behalf of cheaters, and to be honest FairFight do just catch the very braindead ones.

Will order the game when I know that server/anti cheat plays out in a good way with recent SB fiasco in a very fresh memory.

-cb99
  • labtud
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    i can see why people hate badmins. I had a few when i ran a server. When i found out i actually banned them for a few days and removed admin rights.

for every badmin there is a good admin. I just don't like the fact that we are going the way of COD with no admin/procon to help give variety to servers :(
  • Arne99
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    labtud wrote: »
    i can see why people hate badmins. I had a few when i ran a server. When i found out i actually banned them for a few days and removed admin rights.

for every badmin there is a good admin. I just don't like the fact that we are going the way of COD with no admin/procon to help give variety to servers :(
    Yep, and the freedom of choice with being able to choose a sniper limited or even no snipers at all server and hardcore and active cheater monitoring and many other bonuses with actual caring humans managing the server.

Will never again buy into another SB fiasco set-up.

-cb99
  • labtud
    It was happening in BF4. Patch after patch they EA/Dice were preventing certain procon scripts. It was always believed it would go this way. Pushed in line with consoles :( you can tell just by the menu screen from the BF1 beta. Totally designed for consoles :(
  • matsif
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    without rcon controls any amount of playing this game in even a slightly more competitive environment, even just a private 32v32 scrim, is going to be diminished and probably impossible. it's just another nail into the coffin that any chance of competitive battlefield is in. I'm not even talking to anything as intense as esports either, just the multiple communities that were created using the battlefield series to play 32v32 matches with some higher organization.

if the rumors from that AUK thread are indeed the truth, DICE is willfully killing their game for these types of communities where there weren't many options to choose from to begin with. some of which started their communities with BF1942 and have been going on for nearly 15 years at this point.

all this dead air is doing is proving once again to the dedicated PC communities that actually made the game popular enough to become what it is today that DICE no longer cares about us as consumers and is only focusing on quick sales to as many 30 minute a week players as they can. most of whom don't care about teamwork or any of the other core things the BF series used to be known for. the game changes enforce it, the lack of communication enforces it, and the continued diminishing of player agency (both in game and in server controls) enforces it.
  • labtud
    matsif wrote: »
    without rcon controls any amount of playing this game in even a slightly more competitive environment, even just a private 32v32 scrim, is going to be diminished and probably impossible. it's just another nail into the coffin that any chance of competitive battlefield is in. I'm not even talking to anything as intense as esports either, just the multiple communities that were created using the battlefield series to play 32v32 matches with some higher organization.

if the rumors from that AUK thread are indeed the truth, DICE is willfully killing their game for these types of communities where there weren't many options to choose from to begin with. some of which started their communities with BF1942 and have been going on for nearly 15 years at this point.

all this dead air is doing is proving once again to the dedicated PC communities that actually made the game popular enough to become what it is today that DICE no longer cares about us as consumers and is only focusing on quick sales to as many 30 minute a week players as they can. most of whom don't care about teamwork or any of the other core things the BF series used to be known for. the game changes enforce it, the lack of communication enforces it, and the continued diminishing of player agency (both in game and in server controls) enforces it.

well said. What i find amazing is that not many people are trying to kick up a stink about this. So many PC gamers are now like "oh well it is what it is".

It is a sad time if the rumours are true (probably are because dice is silent on the matter). I think they are forgetting that old arena shooters are coming back with full mod support and map creation tools.
  • Deity
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It remains true what was said earlier in this and other threads. The topic needs to stay "wet". We know we probably won't get an answer here, and somehow, somewhere EA may feel like they are clever for holding their cards close to the chest here. However, it's late in the game with this information (we really should have known months ago). Whatever it is to be we just need to know. There's nothing so secretive about having EA maintain servers (rental or official) or GSP contracts to do the same (as always). That information won't change what people do. But being able to manage a rental server (or not being able to rent one at all) DOES matter.

So we keep it relevant. Like others I've asked in person at events (I asked in London as well as LA). I've asked in private conversations and I've asked in public conversations. Each time I was given an answer, and that answer has been "We(I) can't tell you that yet." And frankly it just doesn't make any sense.

I feel 95% certain that we will be able to rent a server in some form or fashion. I feel 25% certain that I'll be able to manage it in a relevant way. If I can't manage a server in a relevant way (to include removing players for conduct unbecoming - racists, cheaters/exploiters, griefers, etc), then in all likelihood we won't be renting. It makes no sense to rent a server you can't manage (and that doesn't mean having a checkbox that limits the sniper count, or turning off shotguns). It's like renting a billboard with your name in the upper right hand corner but having no say on the content that is displayed.

There is the feedback forum for the companion and GUI - perhaps this conversation needs to be had there, along with the absence of platoons, clan tags and other vital elements for gaming communities.
  • labtud
    a fairly reliable person on the procon forums has suggested it will work as follows - EA/Dice will bulk rent servers, at a discount, from server providers.
    EA/Dice will then rent out the servers to clans/people at a premium inline with previous prices for renting servers.
    Clans/people that choose to rent a server will have no say in what 3rd party server provider they get.

:(
  • Horseysaurus
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Well I hope EA doesn't go the route of Activision/COD.

I understand that perhaps EA wants to "lifecycle" BF1 and subsequent BF releases, but I believe that EA can still support dedicated servers even if they want to release a sequel every twelve to eighteen months.

If EA decides not to support dedicated servers, then my group and myself will not buy BF1.
  • DeweysTV
    123 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Deity7777 wrote: »
    It remains true what was said earlier in this and other threads. The topic needs to stay "wet". We know we probably won't get an answer here, and somehow, somewhere EA may feel like they are clever for holding their cards close to the chest here. However, it's late in the game with this information (we really should have known months ago). Whatever it is to be we just need to know. There's nothing so secretive about having EA maintain servers (rental or official) or GSP contracts to do the same (as always). That information won't change what people do. But being able to manage a rental server (or not being able to rent one at all) DOES matter.

So we keep it relevant. Like others I've asked in person at events (I asked in London as well as LA). I've asked in private conversations and I've asked in public conversations. Each time I was given an answer, and that answer has been "We(I) can't tell you that yet." And frankly it just doesn't make any sense.

I feel 95% certain that we will be able to rent a server in some form or fashion. I feel 25% certain that I'll be able to manage it in a relevant way. If I can't manage a server in a relevant way (to include removing players for conduct unbecoming - racists, cheaters/exploiters, griefers, etc), then in all likelihood we won't be renting. It makes no sense to rent a server you can't manage (and that doesn't mean having a checkbox that limits the sniper count, or turning off shotguns). It's like renting a billboard with your name in the upper right hand corner but having no say on the content that is displayed.

There is the feedback forum for the companion and GUI - perhaps this conversation needs to be had there, along with the absence of platoons, clan tags and other vital elements for gaming communities.

My sentiments exactly and i did post in their day 9 thread.
  • Slashette
    290 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I would like to know this too, I did hear in the beginning that we would have dedicated servers
  • Sk1lld
    571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is all the information we have, DICE/EA have said nothing.

http://www.anarchygaming.uk/Forum/battlefield-5/bf1-server-rentals/
  • KiNGisgoin2killu
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Not good

What is the point of having these forums if dice don't even bother responding.
  • olT3lo
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I'm just hearing this for the first time.. we will have no control over servers we rent? Are you kidding me? So much for this game.....
  • llll-Rogue-llll
    66 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 2016
    Nothing is confirmed as of yet, but if they implement this kind of system then the question would be, can clans admin their servers (kicking for abuse, racism ect). Can communities set up white lists? ping kickers ect, If there is a problem with the server how will it be resolved as communities will have to go through EA and not the GSP, and maybe simple things such as rebooting the server...... list goes on
  • xX-Xander-Xx01
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    My clan has already recieved disturbing news from our server provider regarding how server rental for BF1 will work.
    I was really looking forward to this title till i found out they will basically be removing your ability to govern your own server. What clan is going to pay for server rental for a game that they have minimal control over?
    EA NEED to back track on this NOW, if they release this game as they intend to it will be the final nail in the coffin for PC based clans.
    I do realise that their is extra work involved in porting from console but PC gaming is the grass roots of FPS, EA are blinded by the money now and have forgotten that.
    I really enjoyed the beta BUT i am NOT shelling out any cash until i know what their intentions are for the franchise on the PC, its not an issue of wether the game is any good, its now an issue of wether there is any future for PC gaming.
    If you think this is melodrama then i would say you have your head firmly ensconsed in your bottom hole :(
  • AcTiv_LuX
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    labtud wrote: »
    well said. What i find amazing is that not many people are trying to kick up a stink about this. So many PC gamers are now like "oh well it is what it is".

The average gamer i think is not concerned about where he gonna play, its atm just the clans and gamer communities who discuss about renting a server who know about this matter^^. The random player will get to feel this when he plays on an official server which is full of cheaters and disruptive players who spam the chat with offense and racism, where no one balances the teams or ends baserape or whatever admins tend to do if they are good. It has been the clans who rent servers until this day for all the previous bf titles who keep those older games alive. If there really should be no way controlling a server, there is no use for a clan renting them, its gonna be a massive damage to the pc community and it will
    be totally up to EA, how long they gonna support a game and provide servers for it. But regarding their mentality of making cashcashcashcash i think they dont want long living games anyway.
  • Axlerod1
    1384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Bottom line is don't rent servers.
    Don't buy the game and cancel all preorders
    It is the only way to get their attention
  • lucidity1945
    164 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Not good

What is the point of having these forums if dice don't even bother responding.

agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what are they afraid of?
    I gave them one last chance with BF1 and ....well.... its not looking good so far. I loved 1942, Vietnam, bf2, badcompany,.....then bf3 issues...bf4 killed 20 friends out of BF all together... no bf1 they find boring......DAMMMMMM...
This discussion has been closed.