Local Voice Chat in Battlefield for PC

CannibalWarthog
8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I posted this in Battlefield 1 general chat but thought it actually might be better set for this Discussion group seeing I don't fully understand the scope of console networking issues but I do for PC.

Why is Local Voice Chat not a thing in Battlefield games and particularly in Battlefield 1?

Being able to talk to some one on your team is so important. A "Team" full of people you can't talk to is not really a team is it?

Why is there not a (Squad Chat) and a (Local Team Chat)?

Many examples encountered EVERY PLAY SESSION:

I see an enemy just ran into a room. I did not have time to spot him. I started the reload so I can go in there and finish him. Meanwhile, during my reload a friendly is about to run into the room. I can do nothing.

I spawn in a plane not piloted by my squad and I am 2 feet away form the pilot. We have someone on our six. I should able to just say that but, I can do nothing.

I spawn in a tank driven by someone not on my squad. I need him to stop just for a moment so I can take out this guy running at us with anti-tank grenades. I can do nothing to prevent it.

Randomly 6 of us, from different squads, next to each other tightly, pushing on a capture point. I see enemy out of corner of my eye who knifes me before I can spot him. Five team mates then die because I could not just say quickly "guy on the left".

Being able to communicate in any sport is how solid team work is built. It doesn't matter if it is American football, Soccer, volleyball, rugby, etc communication is crucial to form a plans and update eachother. Being able to form a plan on the fly or warning someone of immediate danger is so crucial in a game like this.

In a WWI game, The lack of this feature becomes even more frustratingly apparent.

I am a third year computer science major and have already implemented a proximity voice chat in a project for school. It is not difficult at all. The indie dev team of the game Squad implemented this in that game and it works great and is actually one of the reasons that game is such team oriented game.

I could easily create a class, using the visitor pattern and some simple linear algebra, to check the proximity of near by team mates ONLY when one uses the local voice chat. The class would only needing only the positional data of 32 team members. It is really not complicated.

If I alone could do this, If the small dev team of Offworld Industries could do this, then I know the many brilliant programmers at Dice could do this.

TeamSpeak is not an answer to this. This should be an in game feature. Especially a game that is leans so much toward graphical and audible immersion.

Comments

• ThePro_PR
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't know if any game has done this, but I have always thought/wish there was an option to talk and have people in you very near vicinity hear you ... anyone in your team, not just your suqad (with directional/surround sound taken into account).
  • Platoonski
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I can already imagine all the trolls in a 64 man server shouting, playing music, etc etc.
    While the idea is smart. Applying it would be much more difficult
  • CannibalWarthog
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2016
    ThePro_PR wrote: »
    I don't know if any game has done this, but I have always thought/wish there was an option to talk and have people in you very near vicinity hear you ... anyone in your team, not just your suqad (with directional/surround sound taken into account).

The game Squad has already implemented such an option just as you describe.

Platoonski wrote: »
    I can already imagine all the trolls in a 64 man server shouting, playing music, etc etc.

A MUTE option already exists in the game for just that reason.
    Also, I emphasized in the post, This is not a difficult feature to implement and there are a plethora of examples of it, outside of Battlefield of course.
  • Brezzels
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Arma allready had it it was fantastic youcould switch between Vehicle,Close area or squad and team chat.
  • St0n3ymontana
    1332 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    the game and the others before this one have had squad chat
  • Bobinarea52
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Mate this was is bf2. since the frostbite games none of them have local comms. Yes people abused it a bit but you could mute.
  • St0n3ymontana
    1332 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Mate this was is bf2. since the frostbite games none of them have local comms. Yes people abused it a bit but you could mute.

what? the game has local comms
  • The-Acidpiss
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

The game Squad has already implemented such an option just as you describe.

Platoonski wrote: »

A MUTE option already exists in the game for just that reason.
    Also, I emphasized in the post, This is not a difficult feature to implement and there are a plethora of examples of it, outside of Battlefield of course.

32 players on your team, having to go into a menu everytime to mute a player that's to loud,has a bad mic,just plain annoying ect. Going through the 31 players to find the person that was talking would also be a pain in the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and could you even imagine what it would be like if they were all on mic?!?!?
  • Charliebrownau
    126 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Trust me , NOT having TEAM and LOCAL mic chat is a bl00dy great thing..

I stopped playing Squad due to two reasons :-

* 1. Annoying frak1ng local/team mic chatter
    * 2. Lack of ability to spawn on squad leader or squad mate

squad gameplay
  • JoesDementia
    708 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Would love it, personally. It would be awesome to be able to tell the tank driver that there's a tank on his left or a pilot that a fighter is on our tail. Chat takes too long and gets lost in the feed.
  • Bobinarea52
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    FuhQnDie wrote: »

what? the game has local comms

bf4 and bf1 doesn't
  • mr_ip3ngi
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    most people have open mics and voice activation I just mute them all and shut it off.
  • Vossakurwa
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I second this. I've was expecting this already in BF3, was a huge disappointment that it didnt have local voice, like in Project Reality. Atleast they could do like servers with and without voice comms so people could choose. BF5 would be alot better game with local voice!
  • disposalist
    8916 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 30
    A big part of the reason is that a lot of people find voice chat incredibly annoying.

There are so so many reasons that someone's chat would be an awful thing to endure, unless they are RL buddies, and even then sometimes.

As weird as it sounds, to make it the expected default has the potential to ruin a coop game completely, since no one will then take notice of text or commo rose comms.

People that can't stand voice chat - like me and many others I know - will simply not play.

I'm all for 'local' comms being expanded, but via the commo rose and in-game character voicing.  There already *is* some local comms: When a pilot jumps out of a plane he shouts out (and the passengers can hear) in lovely local language with immersive voice acting.  I believe when you select "Need Ammo" your soldier shouts it too. More of that would be excellent (even though people still ignore it in text and in-game audio *sigh*).
  • Titan_Awaken
    1185 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Vossakurwa said:
    I second this. I've was expecting this already in BF3, was a huge disappointment that it didnt have local voice, like in Project Reality. Atleast they could do like servers with and without voice comms so people could choose. BF5 would be alot better game with local voice!
    Bruh, Battlefield V didn't even exist when this thread was posted.

/necro

On a side note, proximity chat is annoying imo. I'd disable it in a heartbeat if it were a thing.