Console Player Requires Assistance from PC BF1 Players

DeeShinyGoat
64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited September 2016
Hi All,

As outlined above, I am unsure what's the difference in performance between 1060 6GB graphics card and a 1070 8GB card. I mean the latter sounds better, but is it really worth the extra £££? . I am unsure whether Skylake processors DO REALLY give a good boost to performance like the articles say. I don't know whether AMD R9 is actually better than 1060. And so forth. So it's a real tough choice.

I have a budget in mind of approximately £1,000 for a gaming rig. Ideally, I'd like to settle for the below option because it's so much cheaper and I can get a really kick **** monitor for £400, but it doesn't seem "future proof" and will I be able to max out Battlefield 1 playing at 1440p at 60-80 fps? What do I need to do that?

ebuyer.com/754760-stormforce-tornado-vr-gaming-pc-7260-5305

I would really appreciate some advice, suggestions, links to pre-built rigs etc. I do wish to just buy and not have to put one together myself, but if you know where it works out cheaper - please let me know. I'd love to switch to PC gaming prior to release, but I doubt I'll be able to. I will be getting a 4K monitor so I wouldn't have to upgrade anytime soon, so I was looking to allocate £300,-400 for that. So the above option looks great because I can fit it into £1100, but I am willing to spend up to £1000 on the rig itself if someone can please build a strong case and explain the difference in performance between something like the above set up and something higher.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. :)

P.S. I've got general knowledge and this seemed like the best value for money. I mean an 8GB 1070 !

http://www.ebuyer.com/750934-stormforce-tornado-vr-gaming-pc-7260-5272

Or for the sake of £100, is this a better option than any of the above? YOur options and links are super welcome too !

https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-everest-gaming-pc.html?category_id=412

Comments

• Ashby_JC
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Go for the highest spec GFX card you can afford.

• Ashby_JC
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I was in the same situation and opted to build my own PC versus buying a pre built one.

You feel more of an accomplishment when you build. The price is identical from my research.

a site called pcpartspicker is good to get you started.
  • Ronin0ni
    1758 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    @ShiNyViL
    I would get a R9 480x for significantly less money for close to the same power.

I don't have a 1440 monitor (and might actually recommend a 1080p 144hz monitor over it anyways) but 4GB VRAM should be enough for most 1440p gaming. 6-8 should only be necessary for 4k, though it somewhat depends on game.

You can get a 8GB 480x for about $300 though, so I'd probably go with that.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126108
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137023

As for Intel Skylake CPU, as far as I know it has greater potential but it's not necessarily used much yet? I think proliferation of DX12/Vulkan should make better utilization of it however, so unless there's a massive cost difference, go with Skylake (I'm runnin Haswell still)
  • Ronin0ni
    1758 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    oh, and if you REALLY want some good help, check out http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace . They're great with helping new PC gamers find the perfect match
  • DrVanNostrand1
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited September 2016
    Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz
    you are joking,right ???
  • CptMIFF
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You wouldnt need a 144hz monitor. That means you should be running 144fps on average which you will not do if your not running everything on low low low low low.

But as stated earlier, get a good gfx card. Thats the main thing these days. A i5 cpu would work aswell.. ( a new one that is so no bottleneck).
  • Ronin0ni
    edited September 2016
    Ashby_JC wrote: »
    I was in the same situation and opted to build my own PC versus buying a pre built one.

You feel more of an accomplishment when you build. The price is identical from my research.

a site called pcpartspicker is good to get you started.

price is nowhere near idenitical. Prebuilts have massive premiums attached to them, cutting corners with budget parts like power supply (NOT something to skimp on)

If you home build, you can spend the same $, and have much higher quality parts.

Building PC's are easier then ever today as well, and the PC reddit will gladly help you learn what you need to learn to build your own.
  • DeeShinyGoat
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Thanks for your answers guys. I feel it's too difficult to build purely because I have no knowledge in terms of power supplies etc. Apart from understanding the general aspects of the PC.
    Is the CPU i5 - 6400 a bad choice @DrVanNostrand1 ?

Thanks !
  • DeeShinyGoat
    edited September 2016
    Would this be a good choice? @Ronin0ni it seems that it has that graphics card you were referring to and @DrVanNostrand1 seems to be a better CPU?

https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-everest-gaming-pc.html?category_id=412

• DrVanNostrand1
    edited September 2016
    ShiNyViL wrote: »

excellent cpu,not so good gpu
    if you could swap that 480 for a gtx 1070 ,it would be even better
    it seems you can customise it,swap that gpu for a1070 and you're good to go
  • Ronin0ni
    Thanks for your answers guys. I feel it's too difficult to build purely because I have no knowledge in terms of power supplies etc. Apart from understanding the general aspects of the PC.

Thanks !

Well, as I said, the good fellas over at http://www.reddit.com/pcmasterrace would make sure your selected parts are adequate, reliable and not overkill (you don't need an 800W PSU for example)

As for actually building it, it's really quite easy.

That said
    I can't speak for it's cost/value (I'd have to go and see how much all those parts could be bought for), but the PSU is at least not total ****, which is the most common criminally scam most prefabs do. It's still just 80+ standard (not sure why they call it white) when 80+ Bronze is usually the minimum recommended rating for power stability. It's also a decent manufacturer and not some weird off brand.

Most the parts I see are decent quality manufacturers (doesn't say which manufacturer makes the 480 though)

Do know you're overpaying, and you could build this for the same cost (with better PSU, maybe with hard drive config a lil different depending on wants/needs) or less however.... but the build itself isn't bad, and it's not a complete ripoff.
  • DeeShinyGoat

excellent cpu,not so good gpu
    if you could swap that 480 for a gtx 1070 ,it would be even better
    it seems you can customise it,swap that gpu for a1070 and you're good to go

Really appreciate your help here, thanks. Unfortunately, it would bump it up to £1219, which is way too much. :/
  • R0gueWarrior
    157 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi All,

As outlined above, I am unsure what's the difference in performance between 1060 6GB graphics card and a 1070 8GB card.

10 1070-1060= 10 and, 2GB 8GB - 6GB = 2GB......

Seriously,

GTX 1070 specs:

CUDA Cores: 1920
    Core Clock: 1506MHz
    Boost Clock: 1683MHz
    VRAM: 8GB GDDR5
    TFLOP: 6.5
    Memory Clock: 8 Gbps
    Memory Bus Width: 256-bit
    Memory Bandwidth: 256 GB/s
    TDP: 150W
    Transistors: 7.2b
    Manufacturing process: TSMC 16nm
    Power connector: 1x 8-pin PCIe

GTX 1060 specs:

CUDA Cores: 1280
    Core Clock: 1506MHz
    Boost Clock: 1708MHz
    VRAM: 6GB GDDR5
    TFLOP: 3.8
    Memory Clock: 8Gbps
    Memory Bus Width: 192-bit
    Memory Bandwidth: 192 GB/s
    TDP: 120W
    Transistors: 4.4b
    Manufacturing process: TSMC 16nm FinFet
    Power connector: 1x 6-pin PCIe

Read This comparison here

• DeeShinyGoat
    Would RX 480 run it on Ultra at 1440p at 60-80fps?
  • DrVanNostrand1
    Would RX 480 run it on Ultra at 1440p at 60-80fps?

nope
  • DeeShinyGoat
    Ronin0ni wrote: »

Thanks !

Well, as I said, the good fellas over at http://www.reddit.com/pcmasterrace would make sure your selected parts are adequate, reliable and not overkill (you don't need an 800W PSU for example)

As for actually building it, it's really quite easy.

That said
    I can't speak for it's cost/value (I'd have to go and see how much all those parts could be bought for), but the PSU is at least not total ****, which is the most common criminally scam most prefabs do. It's still just 80+ standard (not sure why they call it white) when 80+ Bronze is usually the minimum recommended rating for power stability. It's also a decent manufacturer and not some weird off brand.

Most the parts I see are decent quality manufacturers (doesn't say which manufacturer makes the 480 though)

Do know you're overpaying, and you could build this for the same cost (with better PSU, maybe with hard drive config a lil different depending on wants/needs) or less however.... but the build itself isn't bad, and it's not a complete ripoff.

Thanks for your help ! :) How well could the 480 run BF1 at 1440p?
  • twonkydo0
    167 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Get a console. The only things you are going to get with a pc is stupid problems and momentary grahphic beauty. Why make life harder when you could just stick a disc in sit back and relax, instead of *this program has stopped working* or "this bit did work for that game but now i need to upgrade for this game"
    How about a 4k ps4, or as you like pc's get a xbox.
  • DrVanNostrand1
    i do not own a 480,but as some say the 480 is on par with the gtx 970
    ask someone with a gtx 970 then...
  • DeeShinyGoat
    Thanks @DrVanNostrand1. @twonkydo0 I was planning on PS4 Pro, since I have a 4k TV, but no HDR. But looking at gameplay of BF1 on 1440p it's unreal, and playing at 60FPS is just intense.
  • Ashby_JC
    twonkydo0 wrote: »
    Get a console. The only things you are going to get with a pc is stupid problems and momentary grahphic beauty. Why make life harder when you could just stick a disc in sit back and relax, instead of *this program has stopped working* or "this bit did work for that game but now i need to upgrade for this game"
    How about a 4k ps4, or as you like pc's get a xbox.

Based on the OP he is already a console gamer and wants to build a gaming PC. I feel if one can afford it should go at trying PC gaming. If you do it and dont like it you can alway sell it and go back or better yet....do BOTH!!!!

As for your negatives in regards to PC gaming thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

There are pros and cons to PC and console.

I myself just got into PC gaming and im liking it. I still also have my console.