WW1 1x Optics - yes, the reflex sight was actually invented in 1900 by Howard Grubb

CmdrVOODOO
10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I know everyone is assuming (as I was) that BF1 would only have scopes on sniper rifles, and for everything else we'd have to deal with obstructed iron sights. In just doing a little research (something I'm assuming/hoping DICE has already done) I found out that the reflex sight was invented 14 years before the start of WW1.

"In 1900 Grubb invented the reflector or "reflex" sight, a non-magnifying optical sight that uses a collimator to allow the viewer looking through the sight to see an illuminated image of a reticle or other pattern in front of them that stays in alignment with the device the sight is attached to (parallax free).

This type of sight has come to be used on all kinds of weapons from small firearms to fighter aircraft. It is also at the heart of all modern head-up displays. During the First World War the Grubb factory was in demand for the production of telescopic gun-sights and during this time he was credited with perfecting a periscope design for Royal Navy submarines."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Grubb

(and DICE, if you didn't already know this, it might be a nice thing to put into the game)

Comments

• MegaloDorian
    910 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Is there any examples one can find of reflector sights for small arms back then? I think the technology was perhaps most utilized for aircraft and/or anti-aircraft guns. That Wikipedia article seems to be more referring to them being used later throughout history ("come to be used"), and "telescopic gun-sights" can refer to standard, non-reflector scopes.

Nonetheless, I truly believe the vision was there. Grubb probably had the idea that his technology would eventually become widely used on small arms.
  • CmdrVOODOO
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yeah, I doubt it was actually used at all by the average soldier in WW1 considering they were still using iron sights almost exclusively until very recent times.

They definitely existed during that time. There are pictures of him as a young man with his sight mounted on small arms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight#/media/File:Howard_Grubb_Reflexvisier_2.jpg
  • preto2123
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    nice, love it
  • CmdrVOODOO
    The biggest objection I'm hearing from people about a WW1 is the lack of fun weapons (which is not really the case) and having to deal with obstructed iron sights unless you're sniping.

There were plenty of advanced weapons (even ARs) that existed during WW1.

Like I said, I'm sure this isn't what the average soldier on the battlefield was walking around with, but it is certainly plausible to have reflex optics. Especially now that we know they were invented almost 2 decades before the end of the war.... and several years before powered flight was even a thing.
  • forthecandy
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    It was a very expensive piece of equipement... And only a few planes (and that was also incredibly expensive thing) had those
  • DoubleTap_13th
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I hope they add this I hate using iron sights and don't want to play as a sniper.
  • rick213we
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    wow I didn't know they had reflex sight back in ww1 it world be cool to see how they look like.
  • redzuluzulu0096
    288 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    I wouldn't have a problem with them having it in the game for MP. It would be a stretch in campaign.
  • heast1
    142 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    CmdrVOODOO wrote: »
    There were plenty of advanced weapons (even ARs) that existed during WW1.

ouch. so unsexy.

• CmdrVOODOO
    I wouldn't have a problem with them having it in the game for MP. It would be a stretch in campaign.

I agree, MP only would be fine. It is definitely a stretch for 1918, but it would be plausible at least.
  • afnav130
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I agree, MP only would be fine. It is definitely a stretch for 1918, but it would be plausible at least.

Why? Go look at any footage from WW1 and tell me how many scopes you see on weapons? Next to none. If you want BF4 play BF4. This game needs to stay authentic. Of it won't and you'll realize it's BF4 just reskinned.
  • Bohunk_l
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited May 2016
    afnav130 wrote: »

Why? Go look at any footage from WW1 and tell me how many scopes you see on weapons? Next to none. If you want BF4 play BF4. This game needs to stay authentic. Of it won't and you'll realize it's BF4 just reskinned.

To be fair, in the MP DICE will more than likely take some creative freedoms so the experience can be fun.

Automatics where not that prevalent, but both SMGs and man portable MGs where shown so far and will more than likely be standard issue for at least 2 classes and one rifle was shown to have a side mounted scope.

Battlefeilds authenticity goes as far as decent ballistic behavior, making sure weapon models look good, maps are actually true to the environment they are based on, and any equipment was at least a prototype at the time.

After that its all arcade and fun wins over authenticity, so if DICE thinks the players need options for optics other than Iron Sights, there will be options. Im not saying there will be, but if the technology did exist at the time thats reason enough to include them regardless if it was actually used or not.

Of course I didnt see any in the trailer so there really is no reason to believe they are in the game either.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    ^^^ This ... Win ... /Thread
  • 1337Kph
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Reflex sights on ww1 weapons. Uhh..
    Next you will claim the tanks are too slow, so let's just make it a tad faster cuz it's a game after all?

I mean.. weren't you guys rooting for a ww1 game and not a reskinned BF4?
  • afnav130
    edited May 2016
    Next you will claim the tanks are too slow, so let's just make it a tad faster cuz it's a game after all?

Shhhh. You'll anger the 12 year olds.

I always thought BF was the anti Call of Duty. As years have gone on that's become less and less the truth.

If someone was smart they'd port ARMA to console.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Uhhh some tanks cruised at 30mph. regardless dice already stated the game pace is on par with bf4.
  • Bohunk_l
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Im not really saying I want them, but more or less stating that it is indeed a possibility

I have seen no proof to believe they are in game, however I have seen no proof that they are not in game either so I cant rule out the possibility if the technology did exist even as a barely heard of prototype

I dont really think they will be, and if they are I probably wont use them the same way I didnt use them in COD WaW because I thought they ruined the aesthetics of the weapons.

DICE definitely takes freedom with their games, otherwise Secret Weapons of WWII would never exist and neither would Final Stand, with its hover tanks and rail guns.
  • afnav130
    Uhhh some tanks cruised at 30mph. regardless dice already stated the game pace is on par with bf4.

They were pretty slow on the battlefields. Maybe on open flud they can go that fast.

Think about your last statement. This game should have ZERO on par with BF4. Unreal. It's going to be BF4 with different skins and slightly different weapons employment.

Thank you 12 year olds.
  • EyeOwnzU
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Can't wait to see the tears from people used to 1000rpm Famas to a WW1 weapon. LOOOOOOOL