Weekly Debrief

What to upgrade, help appreciated.

Px-Progdogg
442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Hey peeps, I have had my PC for about 3 - 4 years now and wondering what if anything needs upgrading. I have already upgraded my card. My computer component knowledge hasn't increased a great deal since I build this. Will I get Ultra Settings comfortably with the below specs? Beta seemed to run pretty smooth.

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
650W Power Supply
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    6677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Overclock the CPU. You have a k sku, and an AIO cooling solution. Nothing's in major need of upgrade right now.
  • Px-Progdogg
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Do you think overclocking is necessary?

Also, I have my OS running on a SSD, the rest running on HD, is it worth getting another SSD to run games? Is there a difference in performance?
  • BigF33t_13
    6677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Do you think overclocking is necessary?

Also, I have my OS running on a SSD, the rest running on HD, is it worth getting another SSD to run games? Is there a difference in performance?

Not necessary, but why waste money on an AIO and a k sku CPU if you're not?

Running the game on an SSD will not improve performance at all. It will significantly help with load times though.
  • TheNorthFIN
    765 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With that cooler, overclocking a little shouldn't be a difficult thing. Gains aren't probably amazing but any extra frames is more frames, if you can stay cool as cucumbers too.

SSD's are rather cheap in my book, I have one for my OS (which alone is a big help) but I'm also getting one big enough to fit a few more games. This too won't affect your frames much, but will improve loading times.

If you're playing on 1080p monitor with 60 Hz refresh, that GPU should be enough IMO.
  • Phat_Helmet
    2164 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hey peeps, I have had my PC for about 3 - 4 years now and wondering what if anything needs upgrading. I have already upgraded my card. My computer component knowledge hasn't increased a great deal since I build this. Will I get Ultra Settings comfortably with the below specs? Beta seemed to run pretty smooth.

16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
    GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    650W Power Supply

I have that processor and got it to 4.2 Ghz with aftermarket air cooling. Stable and reliable. I mean why even have liquid cooling of you're not overclocking? There is simply no reason.
  • TheDtuned
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You got good CPU already. Should have saved a little more for the GPU... 1070 or 1080
  • xDJ_Cas
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
    GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    650W Power Supply

Overclock CPU to 4.0-4.5Ghz and if you want 120FPS on 120Hz monitor then need smth like GTX 1070-1080 for sure ...
  • Px-Progdogg
    Thanks for the input guys. Appreciated. I built this 3-4 years ago so didn't have much idea on what I was doing (basically just threw money at it). I just wanted to build something I didn't have to upgrade any time soon. The only reason I bought the 1060 was because it was cheap (I had a 760 in there previously).

Will look into overclocking, I have never overclocked so will do some research first. Will look to upgrade the card again in a year or so.

Cheers team.
  • swats73
    250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Your system is fine. If you want quicker load time get another ssd. Black Friday is soon upon us and some really good deals on sods.
  • Phat_Helmet
    2164 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Thanks for the input guys. Appreciated. I built this 3-4 years ago so didn't have much idea on what I was doing (basically just threw money at it). I just wanted to build something I didn't have to upgrade any time soon. The only reason I bought the 1060 was because it was cheap (I had a 760 in there previously).

Will look into overclocking, I have never overclocked so will do some research first. Will look to upgrade the card again in a year or so.

Cheers team.

If you wanna OC your CPU just look up videos for overclocking with your MOBO. I'd never done it before either but the vids explained everything. With your water cooling you are in little danger of damaging your chip. I bet you get it way over 4.5, stable and cool.

Have fun.