Top Questions Regarding the Battlefield 1 Rental Server Program

Comments

• ElStryfe
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    An old saying comes to mind about DICE and server rentals.. If it ain't broke, why fix it? The rental system we had since 1942 worked just fine. Why re-invent the wheel to further profits? EA already makes a good chunk of the money from RSPs. So, why change a system that is proven to work for countless years.
  • NWG_Playmaker
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Do you understand the damage that can be done by not having kick/ban to start? Racism, Trolling, hacking etc....gives zero control of the server. That should be a priority as a security concern.
    It can turn off regulars to a server and clans can lose members and guest over this.

• Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    NWG_Feclez wrote: »
    kL-SnAjP wrote: »
    i dont think Bradock was told to "Pretend everything is sunny and that you are getting answers on a daily basis". I would like to hear honest "Sorry guys i am giving you all i get and all i can, which is basicaly nothing, and i cant give u names or reasons couse i dont know."
    Instead we get indeed this game of pretending.

I wouldn't say it was that at all to be honest. I have been in the same position as @Braddock512 in the past with work I have done.

He is saying that he has had a load of answers but at moment is unable to post what they are due to constant changes in what is happening with the dev's, thus instead of posting something and then recanting on what is said due to a change from dev's and getting people even more riled up is having to take the safe route so not to get it in the ear off us on here or from the dev's and his bosses by stating facts that are constantly changing

If the answers are constantly changing, it pretty much means upper management at EA/DICE needs a housecleaning. There's zero excuse for any of this to still be up in the air a week (and counting) AFTER launch.
  • DeweysTV
    123 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm guessing they haven't completed the in game commands, hence why we are getting fed kernels and Braddock has been approval to only post what has been implemented. The german thread said Nov 1st release, but here, it is sometime in November. Again, supporting the fact that game commands are not done. They can give us a release date on the game, but not RS's?

Phogue was hired two years ago and I am totally surprised that in two years, they weren't able to release RS's at game launch. Those guys are probably working 100/hrs week to finish this up, if not, should be. My only thought to that would be the game needed to be finished before they could begin making the in game commands, which then the game creators were running behind.
  • iNFamous-P4nd4
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Another question about the RSP. Does EA have any service level agreements with a 3rd party/ies to provide server infrastructure or is all of the hardware owned and maintained by EA/Dice?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Another question about the RSP. Does EA have any service level agreements with a 3rd party/ies to provide server infrastructure or is all of the hardware owned and maintained by EA/Dice?

The servers are being hosted by MS Azure and Amazon EC2 (SLA). There may be (more than likely) a GSP such as MultiPlay or i3D in the mix, but all the servers are cloud based.
  • iNFamous-P4nd4
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

The servers are being hosted by MS Azure and Amazon EC2 (SLA). There may be (more than likely) a GSP such as MultiPlay or i3D in the mix, but all the servers are cloud based.

@Rev0verDrive Thanks so much for the info! Any reason why other GSP's (such as Gameservers.com) can't also host servers on the same basis?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

@Rev0verDrive Thanks so much for the info! Any reason why other GSP's (such as Gameservers.com) can't also host servers on the same basis?

The "GSP" isn't hosting. They're more of a backbone manager for the cloud service instances.

Check this post.
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/229366/#Comment_229366
  • DeweysTV
    ElStryfe wrote: »
    An old saying comes to mind about DICE and server rentals.. If it ain't broke, why fix it? The rental system we had since 1942 worked just fine. Why re-invent the wheel to further profits? EA already makes a good chunk of the money from RSPs. So, why change a system that is proven to work for countless years.

To make even more money!
  • Rev0verDrive
    dwysywd wrote: »

To make even more money!

Servers cost 66% less than traditional GSP. I don't understand the crying.
  • kL-SnAjP
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    well for starters, you gonna pay for 64 slots server even if u want to just jerk alone in the evenings
  • SteadyFlow
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016

How do u know the servers are being hosted by MS Azure and Amazon EC2 ? What is the source of this info - just curious. I should be happy if this is the case cause I'm in India, and we have both MS Azure and Amazon EC2 cloud servers here !
  • DeweysTV

To make even more money!

66% less and still making money.

How's the customer service? How's the server stability? All questions to be answered upon release. Our experience with EA support would argue it will be less than stellar, but we'll soon know. Cheaper prices doesn't always equal a great product.

• westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Yes, if 64 slots was what your group was used to renting, then it is less expensive. However, if you use less slots (as we do because we find 64 slots way too many players), then it is more expensive per slot (if they even let us set up servers with the number of slots regardless of game type - that's a question @Braddock512 ). Pay for 64, use 24, and the cost per slot each month (based on a 6 month agreement) effectively goes from about $.40 to about $1.05. No longer such a good deal. May not be a concern for groups who do 64 all the time, but for the many groups who like smaller sized servers, it is a concern.
  • Tireseas
    609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016

To make even more money!

66% less and still making money.

How's the customer service? How's the server stability? All questions to be answered upon release. Our experience with EA support would argue it will be less than stellar, but we'll soon know. Cheaper prices doesn't always equal a great product.

Indeed. We already know we'll be taking a hit in terms of features (at least in the near term), the performance and locations are yet to be released, and the customer service is already earning **** poor grades by the very fact we're still dealing with this ridiculous run around on basic questions.

EDIT: By customer service, I mean collectively. I hold no personal malice towards Braddock or any of the front line guys who seem to want to do the right thing but can't.
    Post edited by Tireseas on
  • Rev0verDrive
    edited October 2016
    westyjoe wrote: »

Yes, if 64 slots was what your group was used to renting, then it is less expensive. However, if you use less slots (as we do because we find 64 slots way too many players), then it is more expensive per slot (if they even let us set up servers with the number of slots regardless of game type - that's a question @Braddock512 ). Pay for 64, use 24, and the cost per slot each month (based on a 6 month agreement) effectively goes from about $.40 to about $1.05. No longer such a good deal. May not be a concern for groups who do 64 all the time, but for the many groups who like smaller sized servers, it is a concern.

Go price BF4 24p @ 60Hz. 16p @ 60Hz is $40 roughly (NFO is $43 for 30 days). And to boot some GSP don't offer less than 32p at high tick.

Even @ 1.05 per slot you're paying either less or the same compared to BF4 slot costs and yet gaining 30Hz to your tick.
  • Phys3r
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Tl;dr no normal answer, and tons of questions. I guess in order to get the answers we will have to wait to the official option to rent a server and see the features.
  • Right_2_B3ar
    62 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    NWG_Feclez wrote: »
    kL-SnAjP wrote: »
    i dont think Bradock was told to "Pretend everything is sunny and that you are getting answers on a daily basis". I would like to hear honest "Sorry guys i am giving you all i get and all i can, which is basicaly nothing, and i cant give u names or reasons couse i dont know."
    Instead we get indeed this game of pretending.

I wouldn't say it was that at all to be honest. I have been in the same position as @Braddock512 in the past with work I have done.

He is saying that he has had a load of answers but at moment is unable to post what they are due to constant changes in what is happening with the dev's, thus instead of posting something and then recanting on what is said due to a change from dev's and getting people even more riled up is having to take the safe route so not to get it in the ear off us on here or from the dev's and his bosses by stating facts that are constantly changing

Basically he is the pr person feeding the mushrooms what the corporate entity wants you to hear and hope you drink the koolaide. Sounds just like what happens at my job. I don't drink the koolaide and don't believe the bs there either.
  • drkgsy
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @Braddock512 What is the status on SEA and SA servers? I for one know that Japan servers are not viable for the whole of Asia
This discussion has been closed.