No Joystick Support*

Comments

• Zorada
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    X-55 Hotas here waiting to use lol
  • Undert0ker
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm not sure what has surprised me the most, the lack of joystick support or Dices refusal to address it or even speak about it on this massive thread of annoyed customers.
    The game changes, the hardware gets better, but good old stubborn stupid Dice is always the same, brainless when it comes to "common sense" sadly....
    That's the worst bit about it for me, the lack of customer interest.
    Sigh
  • 4Dpixel
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My logitech extreme 3D is collecting dust... Dice please fix this asap! It's not as if there's no requests for it from the community looking at this 13 page threat.... There's also no reason not to include it because the engine supports it just fine.
  • Hollowpoints1986
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I actually had a dream last night that i was flying with my joystick.
    I was wonderous! Then i came back to the forums and nothing had changed.
    Reality sucks =(
  • RavenDeth
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    TEXAS-CG wrote: »
    You need to get this fixed before your release on the 21th or you are going to look like fools.

Oops.. :-)
  • RavenDeth
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    CONVEEEN wrote: »
    Many people write that in Bf4 Joystick was support!?
    It was not a true support. It worked but with a lot of issues.

I concur. I used to fly like a boss in BF2. BF3 not so much, BF4, FAIL. I'd like to fly in BF1 but the joystick setup is all greyed out and my joystick is not recognized.
  • TrademarkTM
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    RavenDeth wrote: »
    ausQuoll wrote: »
    Convert your DirectX Joystick (myself a Saitek Cyborg) into xInput, which the game readily supports for the Xbox 360 controller.
    It is a royal pain to set up, but the software you need is called x360ce (XBox 360 Controller Emulator).
    IIRC, you may find a post in this forum from the alpha/beta era where "x360ce" has already been discussed.

We shouldn't have to install 3rd party controller emulation software on our PC's to make our Joysticks work in a game that supports flight.

EXACTLY
  • RavenDeth
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    Take a look at this :smiley:

Now i can die in peace playing BF1 :smiley:

The problem with that response was that there was absolutely no information on when. Those few words don't give me much hope in flying with a joystick anytime soon. How about some transparency DICE?
  • CmdrSpiner
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have been using my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 to fly for all the Battlefield releases except Hardline, which I did not buy. Never had a problem. I just bought the Ultimate BF1 package and go to setup the flight bindings for my joystick only to discover it does not recognize it!!! Then I find this post! I cannot fly with a fracking mouse and I refuse to get a console controller. Is there no one manufacturing a joystick that uses xInput so we don't have to use an emulator???
  • TrademarkTM
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    CmdrSpiner wrote: »
    I have been using my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 to fly for all the Battlefield releases except Hardline, which I did not buy. Never had a problem. I just bought the Ultimate BF1 package and go to setup the flight bindings for my joystick only to discover it does not recognize it!!! Then I find this post! I cannot fly with a fracking mouse and I refuse to get a console controller. Is there no one manufacturing a joystick that uses xInput so we don't have to use an emulator???

It appears we are now all in hurry up and wait mode for joystick support. They are "working on it"
  • ultimatuum
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My Extrem 3D pro logitech joystick is not detected in BF1. But no problem of detection on windows. The game cost about 120$ and no joystick support ?
  • trombita33
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    ....bottom line is, DICE had almost 2 months since beta, they know about that pc players were up in arms about not able to use joysticks,,yet,they did not implemented a fix .. we might not gonna see any fix at all,unless many-many costumers demand refund,,, or pc sales plummet,,,,,
  • LAN_L0rd
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    As a commercial CFI, trying to fly with an XBOX controller is like trying to eat chicken broth with a fork. I cannot believe they didn't add proper joystick support. Until they do I'll simply avoiding flying until they figure it out and add support.

Very disappointed DICE.

I agree. Just wanted to +1 the no joystick support. Please give us an update. This will heavily impacting my future purchases with you.

• g0merpile
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TL;DR the old joystick is not the problem, the old API the game uses, is. (Edit: at least, that's the case for BF3/4. I notice that control binding in general is broken in BF1 right now, so perhaps there is another issue at play here.)

ok, so other than the op who is using a defunct joystick no longer supported by even microsoft, what joysticks are people trying to use?

a joypad being used as the controller input image isn't a huge deal, more people are likely to use pads than joysticks in all honesty.

USB joysticks are a standard HID device. The devs won't need to code for specific joysticks, just for joysticks in general. Kinda like with keyboards for example. The system doesn't care if I have the latest Logitech or an old brand-X I got for $5 in 1990.

via https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd742873(v=vs.85).aspx
    The joystick services can simultaneously monitor two joysticks,

Which is not enough, obviously. Fortunately, this API is deprecated:
    The multimedia joystick API has been superseded by DirectInput, which has more capabilities for today's input and force-feedback devices. For more information, see the DirectX documentation.

Here is the beginning of said doco. I'm sure your devs have an MSDN sub already ;)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee416842(v=vs.85).aspx

As you can see in this example, DirectInput allows the selcetion of n devices:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jparise/directx/joystick/#selecting
    You could store all the enumerated joysticks and let the user pick.

So, no more 2- joystick limit.

HTH.

CaptaPraelium
    USB joysticks are a standard HID device. The devs won't need to code for specific joysticks, just for joysticks in general. Kinda like with keyboards for example. The system doesn't care if I have the latest Logitech or an old brand-X I got for $5 in 1990.

All we need is Dinput sidebyside the xinput, really it is simple. However EA is trying to strip down PC gamers to = xbox controls. This is what is going to happen to bring PC games to play VS Xbox gamers. Xbox gamers don't stand a chance VS PC controls. Specially flight controls and mouse control;. This is what Microsoft is bullying EA and others. Xinput is the standard now.
  • CONVEEEN
    172 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There is a Xinput Joystick anywhere?
  • RavenDeth
    edited October 2016
    CONVEEEN wrote: »
    There is a Xinput Joystick anywhere?

I tried searching for some but no luck. If you type "Xinput usb joystick" into Google all you get are images of xbox360 controllers. Wonderful. And, from what I understand, Xinput is less capable than DxInput unless I'm missing something. If you went full joystick, separate throttle AND rudder pedals, you've almost hit your limit on inputs with just flying.

Also, what I want is to be able to do this:
    • Use my keyboard/mouse for on-foot play
    • Simply pick up and use my already plugged-in and active Xbox360 controller as needed
    • Switch to my already plugged-in and active joystick setup for flying

I can easily swap between my keyboard/mouse and Xbox360 controller in this manner in various other games without changing anything and they recognize that I'm using the other controller.

I see no reason why the latest Battlefield shouldn't allow the same capability.

I was on the Closed Alpha back in the BEGINNING of June and this Joystick fiasco was a problem back then. But when you're on a Closed Alpha under NDA, you don't post to social nets. You figure, "Well, it's Alpha. They'll certainly fix it for beta and before release". That did NOT happen.

How that didn't happen we can only speculate on. Personally I think others are correct. The focus was an XboxOne release. Every TV commercial you see for Battlefield One is an XboxOne commercial.

When deadlines get short and you have to stop work on a system to make the release deadline, you cut what Marketing/Publisher tells you to cut because, they're paying your salary. I think Joystick support was planned but work on it halted because of the release deadline push for consoles. Now we're in this screwed-up situation.

All we've heard is that it's being worked on with no idea of when the target release date for this *fix* is. We've already had a patch and that certainly didn't fix the problem.

This is just my opinion and you can take it for what it is.
  • CustomerChair
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This issue was raised during the closed alpha, more than 3 months ago, but it was ignored or considered unimportant. I've been burned twice in a row now, first with Battlefront and now with BF1: Battlefront because of an embarrassing lack of content and depth, and now BF1, where it feels like an entire portion of the game is closed off to me. I should not have preordered this game. I will certainly not be doing that again. I've been with this series from the beginning, but Dice is out of my circle of trust now with these lazy, dumbed-down console ports. This used to be a PC franchise but they are clearly not a PC developer anymore. What a shame.
  • Undert0ker
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2016
    Exactly that, I wont be preordering anything from this point onwards
    It's my silly fault for trusting them, I won't be that stupid again