Can't use any vehicles or stationary weapons

AdmiralDonkey
7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited October 2016
Edit: Temp solution at bottom of post

I thought i'd play a mission or two of the campaign before getting stuck into the multiplayer. The intro 'mission' worked fine, but when trying the first War Story (where you play as the driver of the Mark V tank) I can't play. The whistles go, it tells me to press 'W' to move forward, but nothing happens. I tried pressing all of the usual movement keys (WASD, & arrows) to no avail. I'm also unable to aim. I can move the crosshair slightly, say around the space of a large coin on screen, but it pulls back when trying to move it as if encountering resistance, and refuses to move any further. It will occasionally let me fire if I use the sights (still with movement issue) but doesn't let me switch weapon. I've tried restarting the mission & checkpoint but it makes no difference.

I've checked my key mappings and vehicle controls are all as they should be. I have not got any controllers plugged into my system. I haven't tried using a tank in the multiplayer yet, but it worked with no problems when I played the beta. I'll update to say if they work in MP after i've tried it.

Windows 10 Pro
i5-4670k
EVGA GTX 1070
32GB RAM
Copious HDD space
Corsair K70 keyboard & Tecknet Raptor mouse

Edit: From feedback it sounds like the issue is caused by using the Origin Overlay (Shift-F1) to view your remaining trial time. For those of you experiencing this issue, try the following steps to fix it

Firstly, try Alt-Tabbing out and back into the game (Thanks to MrNetworkBreaker for that tip). Worked for me most of the time and much faster than next method. If it doesn't work, try this:
  1. Settings -> Controls -> Advanced Controls
  2. Go to the bottom of the page
  3. - Turn off 'Vehicle Aim Relative Control'
  4. - Turn on 'Uniform Soldier Aiming'
  5. Back out into the game, see if it has fixed. If not, go back and switch them back.
  6. Repeat once more if still not working.

*Note that it's not these settings that directly influence the issue, but rather cause the 'loading' icon to appear when going back into the game, and from my experience it seems that causing the settings to update is what fixes it*
Post edited by AdmiralDonkey on

Comments

• AdmiralDonkey
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Update: This happens on multiplayer, and happens with every vehicle and stationary weapon. If I get on an MG, I can't move it at all and it will occasionally let me fire, firing at like 1 bullet a second. If I try any vehicle, be it getting in one from foot or spawning in one, I am completely unable to move. I haven't changed any settings from default apart from widening the FOV. Game files verified, tried resetting everything to defaults and still no luck.

Update: Turning off 'vehicle aim relative control' (on by default) seems to have fixed the issue - in the single player at least. Will test in MP shortly.
  • Justice28
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Same happens to me. I will try turning relative control off too... did that fix it for you?
  • AdmiralDonkey
    edited October 2016
    It fixed the tank issue, however I have just tried using stationary artillery and it still has the problem... Nothing i've found that fixes that yet.
  • DogGunn
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I was having this issue. It keeps coming up every now and then. Toggling on and off those vehicle and infantry settings lets me fix it.
  • Bombo_Rudinyo
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    Same for me, it keeps coming back and the soldier and aiming options dont seem to fix it for me..
  • Kabowza
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If you have a gamepad on your computer then try unplug it.
  • ZSU-ScottyDontNZ
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    I am having a very similar issue. So I like to fly with a Xbox One controller and run and gun with K&M, but when I jump into a plane (or most vehicles and stationary weapons) I cannot move. I switch between them and nothing. It all worked flawlessly in the beta. I am getting annoyed because I love to fly and am using my 10 hours as infantry when I would rather be in the air.
  • Bombo_Rudinyo
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    edited October 2016
    i unplugged everything except my mouse and keyboard, seems like in the first game i play everything is normal, but when i stay for the next map it gets bugged.. Hope they fix it soon
  • I am also having this problem. It sucks as I get to the first war story and bam can't proceed.
  • JerryLongbones
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Encountered the same issue but I didn't notice till I was on the mission to get the spark plugs, maybe it bugged earlier than that, I didn't actually use any stationary weapons after the first mission.
    Hopefully these potential fixes work, really weird how it wasn't there and then suddenly was with no explanation.
  • AdmiralDonkey
    edited October 2016
    Yeah I thought the steps I took had fixed it completely but after playing again today I still get the issue when trying to use an MG. Having to go into advanced settings, switch two settings off, go back into the game and then go back in and turn them on again is a bit stupid when in the middle of a firefight. Same goes for vehicles, few times i've got into a tank and it's frozen again. For me it starts to work (usually) if you switch those two settings I mentioned off and on again once or twice, backing out into the game each time. Real pain in the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but seems to be the only temp fix I can find.

Just to clarify

Firstly, try Alt-Tabbing out and back into the game. Sometimes worked for me and much faster than next method. If it doesn't work, try this:
    1. Settings -> Controls -> Advanced Controls
    2. Go to the bottom of the page
    3. - Turn off 'Vehicle Aim Relative Control'
    4. - Turn on 'Uniform Soldier Aiming'
    5. Back out into the game, see if it has fixed. If not, go back and switch them back.
    6. Repeat once more if still not working.
    *Note that it's not these settings that directly influence the issue, but rather cause the 'loading' icon to appear when going back into the game, and from my experience it seems that causing the settings to update is what fixes it*
  • UltraMarin3
    edited October 2016
    Same problem. Can't drive, save for horses, and can only move turrets an inch at a time.. And this game comes out in what, 5 days? And I'm expected to pay over £100 to get the full game? What a joke.
  • MrNetworkbreaker
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2016
    PC here, had this happening a few times in MP but couldn't figure out how to "fix" it, with my last 30 mins i started the story missions and encountered the same when trying to drive the tank, alt tabbing out and back in helped resolve the issue. It even appeared once again when i got my Trial warning from origin and that forced me on the desktop, after going back i had the bug again.
    I was using Borderless Window mode though.
  • Astr0Cat
    84 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    Same problem here, exactly. Couldn't fly the plane either. Didn't see this issue in beta.
  • AdmiralDonkey
    alt tabbing out and back in helped resolve the issue.

Thanks. Had it once or twice where the method I found wasn't working, but in those instances alt tabbing out and in again fixed it. Seems there are at least 2 causes for this with 2 solutions then! Dunno what the hell they did to it since the beta.

• Astr0Cat
    84 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ALt tabbing helped me the last time it happened to me. Was a tank gunner.
  • FleX-DA-NooB
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Had the same issues almost all the time.. only fix i had vor is was alt + Tab desktop and back and it was fixed... but everytime i got into a tank or truck.. same issue.
  • ASI_Jadro
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This problem occurs when u push Shift + F1 to see origin. If u dont push Shift + F1 (to see the rest time) u havent this problem.

Regards
  • ASI_Jadro
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The problem occurs when u push Shift + F1 to see origin or rest time of early access. If u dont push this in party, u havent this problem
  • jjju
    115 postsMember, Developer DICE, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V
    Edit: Temp solution at bottom of post
    [*] Go to the bottom of the page
    [*] - Turn off 'Vehicle Aim Relative Control'
    [*] - Turn on 'Uniform Soldier Aiming'
    These options have absolutely nothing to do with registering buttons. One is changing math related to the direction the other one is related to soldier aiming math.
    Alt tabbing or just going to the in-game menu and back to the game could have something to do it. But changing these two options is a waste of time.