DirectX Function Error (Nvidia) - Are you actually serious EA? ( 28.03.17 - 21:34 CEST )

Comments

• TrenchRaidYoAss
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    FinnHit wrote: »
    im gettinf dx error mostly on "dead screen" or when battle ends and game starts to load new map.

Yip. Exactly the same as me. I have gtx 1080s in SLI. But forced to use single GPU. Ffs
  • GTOAviator8
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    AND WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT.

Here you go kids! Enjoy! :)
    http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download
  • FistyMcBeef
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Nvidia support had me try the following for my 770, but I haven't run the game yet after doing this:

Please navigate to NVIDIA control panel Manage 3D settings Global settings, make the following changes

• Power management mode – prefer maximum performance
    • Threaded optimization – off
    • Triple buffering – off
    • Vertical sync – off
    • Maximum pre rendered frames – 3

a) Open NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings.
    b) Go to Program Settings tab.
    c) Add the file you launch the game from by clicking on Add button.
    d) Run the program and check.

they also wanted me to roll back drivers (including removing my video card for 30 seconds...), but other people have said that didn't work, so if the above steps don't work, I guess I'll remain hopeful for a patch or better drivers.
  • FistyMcBeef

think that might help? not really a driver update so to speak, but I'm trying it in conjunction with the nvidia troubleshooting steps, so I guess we'll see.
  • Juzzotec
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm using a GTX 970 FTW, I can confirm 5 x other friends from my university are having the same issue. We just gave up, we will wait for the update/patch from either nvidia or EA. Sucks!
  • Diabolus_Musica
    788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

think that might help? not really a driver update so to speak, but I'm trying it in conjunction with the nvidia troubleshooting steps, so I guess we'll see.

Read the change notes. This will do nothing to fix BF1 problems.
  • GTOAviator8

Read the change notes. This will do nothing to fix BF1 problems.

We don't know that. Like I said in my previous post, since updating to the 10/05/2016 GeForce Experience app I have't crashed in several hours of game play. Now the new 10/20/2016 GeForce Experience app releases. Begs the question it can't hurt.

It sounds stupid, I know - a graphics card update application causing massive CTDs, but this was also what another guy said he tried and it worked for him.
  • hidden8277
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I will try out the new geforce update, as you said it can't hurt. I just wish we could get a response from someone in terms of them acknowledging the issue or letting us know a fix is coming
  • IvoryState
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    When I played the 10 hour trial I would get this crash every 5 minutes(I have a 770), but after reinstalling 372.9 from 373.06 it was completely gone for the rest of play time. Now with full release I got it once my second game ended, so it's not that bad thankfully. I'm just hoping the new drivers will fix it so I don't have to worry about it again, but it is strange that the previous fix stopped working with the full release, don't know what they changed. New drivers should be coming out any hour now.
  • DrSkullfocker
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Turn on the limit gpu memory in settings. That has stopped the crashes for me.
  • Lokkur
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    :: Possible Fix::

I get the same problem with my 680 SLI, however i noticed a strange thing, After the crash the GPU Core clock is clocked down to "Energysave mode", even if you have or dont have Save mode in the power management, And it´s stuck there, even if you load the GPU, resulting in severe FPS loss and slowdowns..For me, the "DirectX Function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG" error always occur when the GPU exceeds 85c, for me.

By default my cards should have 1006mhz in Core clock, and 1100+ in Boost, after crash its dead fast in 650 and wont move or clock it self up to default clock speeds, no matter the amount of workload (as it should),in whatever game or application, resulting in bad FPS

I personally fixed this by downloading EVGA PrecisionX 16 and have a customized fan curve, since it seems no matter how hot, the GPU wont turn its fan to 100% by default, this program do.

So now my Clock speeds are at "maximum", i bought 60 more FPS and it dont crash, played all day...

Conclude:
    Installed EVGA PrecisionX 16
    Fixed fan curves so it go 100% @ 75c, 80% @65c 70% @ 50c, a steady curve. (or whatever you prefer), and press Auto so it follows that curve (on BOTH cards if you got SLI, or have the sync button enabled)
    Energy save mode @ Prefer maximum performance, in Nvidia control panel (since the card is stuck in clocked down mode after this crash, it dont matter what game you play, the cards is still clocked down, only a restart fixes it)

This allows me to play on the frame rate as my machine should have if it all where OK, i had around 0-70FPS before, i got 100-130 now.

Only problem ive yet to encounter is every time i start the computer, the EVGA PrecisionX 16 might forgotten to put auto back on for the fan curve, on a card, so it gets too hot since by default as i said above, the fans wont go to 100%, so gotta remember to check if both fans are on Auto, the curve is always saved.

Anyway, no crashes yet for 8 hours of gameplay, i had a crash every 30 min - 1 hour before.

Improved frame rate, no DX crashes, but my comp sounds like a vacuum cleaner ;)

So is this DICE/EA problem to fix?, i dont think so....It´s either driver optimizations for the game engine, or we all here have dusty overheating computers....or maybe both
    I mean, there is around 60.000 players on PC...and EVERYONE with nvidia uses the same driver, the latest or the previous one..and if it where an in-game engine issue, all of those Nvidia players atleast, would have the same problem, not just a handful

EDIT: This maybe dont apply to everyone, or anyone at all, but it did the trick for me.................................................................for now.
    Also, installing new/old Nvidia Experience fixes nothing, its just a stand-alone program that have NOTHING that integrates with games, so it changes nothing :)
    Post edited by Lokkur on
  • GoofySidekick
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    EVGA 770 2gb SC, win 7, i7 4770 Haswell. I didn't try MP yet, but single player crashes when I use high and ultra settings. So far I haven't had a single crash on medium settings. What bothers me that it's steady 60 fps on high, and temperature stays ~73 C (same as any other game I played). After reading the thread: most people were fine playing beta, it crashes on all OS, variety of gpus, DX12/11, SC,OC and stock, sli/non sli, old/new drivers, afterburner on/off, and etc. Seems to me like this is just another crappy release by DICE.
  • Flame6
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I played 4 matches straight without a crash. I navigated to the path on page 1-3? and ran the repairs and it fixed it. GTX770
  • GTOAviator8
    UPDATE: another 3 hours of game play on Windows 10 with the updated version of the GeForce Experience app released today (10/20/2016) and 373.06 drivers. Game has never run so smooth. Crystal frames, no Direct X Function Error CTD, no hang ups. I did experience one "Program not responding" crash after the end of my last round, but I attribute this to being a true Day 1 stability issue pending hot fix.

It would appear that the suggestions I've made, at least for some of us, remedy the Direct X CTD to a playable frequency, if not completely eliminated. It will be interesting to see if those of us running older cards (GTX770s, etc) receive whatever nVidia driver update is coming out today/tomorrow/this weekend.
  • LeoLaddd
    19 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    To be blunt its clearly a driver issue. You cant blame EA for that, your best bet is to contact nVidia directly and ask them what the fix is.

Regards,

LeoLadd
  • FlXTHEGAME
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    same problem on another 770 here. seems like it's only a issue with 680/770/960s. i'm not too sure about it, but all those cards are based on the same model, aren't they?

oh almost forgot to say: fix the game!
  • FistyMcBeef
    MINOR SUCCESS?

I was finally able to play for almost 2 hours with my 770 before BF stopped responding- totally different crash, but I didn't get the infamous one we're all getting. Plus, I was able to play for a while. The last several things I did (after all the other crap we've talked about) were:

installing the update to the GeForce client
    Changing the following:
    • Power management mode – prefer maximum performance
    • Threaded optimization – off
    • Triple buffering – off
    • Vertical sync – off
    • Maximum pre rendered frames – 3
    Went to:
    NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings.
    Go to Program Settings tab.
    Added the file I launch the game from by clicking on Add button.

Set BF1 to run as admin.

Like I said, it worked for a couple hours this time, and I didn't get the DX error.
  • versicol0ur
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just played 3 hours of singplayer with no issue. I quit then went back into the game after a 30min break and the game crashed as soon as the level loaded. Re-installed all nvidia drivers this morning but seems to have made no difference.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • lllCrashlll
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    i have one solution... is disabled dvr record XBOX on windows 10 and disabled game stream on Nvidia Experience.. i play 4 hours and no problem with Direcxt... sry my bad english
    good luck ;)
  • RedRiveRR_
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    i have one solution... is disabled dvr record XBOX on windows 10 and disabled game stream on Nvidia Experience.. i play 4 hours and no problem with Direcxt... sry my bad english
    good luck ;)

I'll try that one aswell. This is supposed to cause alot of problems with CS:GO either.
This discussion has been closed.