Weekly Debrief

Server Pricing Confirmed!

Px-Progdogg
442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Look at that server rental thread guys. Looking pretty damn good. Only wondering if thats for 32 or 64 player? or if it matters at all?

Anxiously waiting the info on features!!

Comments

• OfcRodFarva
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You think the pc prices are fair? Also you know it's going to be one price regardless of the number of players or they would of said that in the announcement....
  • Fog_eXGunner
    879 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Reopened, my mistake. I'm on my cell phone and ibthought the sticky wAs open for discussion.
  • Px-Progdogg
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You think the pc prices are fair? Also you know it's going to be one price regardless of the number of players or they would of said that in the announcement....

I think they are very fair. Compared the cost for a 64 player server on BF4 these prices are low. As I understand it the pricing for PC is going to be the same as console in that you have a 1 price fits all for a server, 32 or 64 player is up to you. I guess if you are renting a 32 player server it may be considered more expensive.
  • Fog_eXGunner
    879 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think pricing for PC is fair. It's cheaper then what I was paying with Game servers.
  • StingX71
    815 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2016
    Meh, have to see how much we can customize before renting.
  • OfcRodFarva
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    FYI the rental thread was moved to the news discussion forum......idk why
  • Px-Progdogg
    edited October 2016
    St1ngray71 wrote: »
    Those prices are steep. Use to pay half of that with TS and procon layer. Peeps are not going to like those prices.

What was your server setup? Slot count?

As far as I know, these prices are for a full 32 or 64 player server (1 size fits all). When it comes to 32 player servers, it may be more expensive but with a 64 player server its a lot less. That's not including additional spectator and commander slots.

Game servers BF4 - 64 players - 6 months - AUD$449.00
    Fragnet BF4 - 64 players - 6 months - USD$171.00
    EA/DICE BF1 - 70 players - 6 months - USD$149.00
  • fvmz
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    These prices are so ridiculously high that I actually spit coffee all over my mouse pad when I read what DICE is charging.

$50.00 a month for a virtual server?! A server that's not always on; a server with dramatically reduced control; a server with no support? $50.00/mo! Really?

I was actually expecting a deal. This is only slightly less than what a gsp would charge and a lot less than what a gsp would offer. Last virtual server I rented through the game was a Tribes: Ascend server. It was ~ $3.00/month.
  • Px-Progdogg
    fvmz wrote: »
    These prices are so ridiculously high that I actually spit coffee all over my mouse pad when I read what DICE is charging.

$50.00 a month for a virtual server?! A server that's not always on; a server with dramatically reduced control; a server with no support? $50.00/mo! Really?

I was actually expecting a deal. This is only slightly less than what a gsp would charge and a lot less than what a gsp would offer. Last virtual server I rented through the game was a Tribes: Ascend server. It was ~ $3.00/month.

Maybe its just me, its hard to find decent GSP's in Australasia, this pricing is cheap in my opinion. Perhaps some of your concerns and questions will be answered. "$50.00 a month for a virtual server?! A server that's not always on; a server with dramatically reduced control" is any of this confirmed?
  • Efranord
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Maybe its just me, its hard to find decent GSP's in Australasia, this pricing is cheap in my opinion. Perhaps some of your concerns and questions will be answered. "$50.00 a month for a virtual server?! A server that's not always on; a server with dramatically reduced control" is any of this confirmed?

I think it was confirmed that kick/ban was not ready 1st of november when these servers are ready for rental.
  • fvmz
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited October 2016

Nothing has been "confirmed", which in and of itself is suspicious, because by the time you have pricing nailed down, you know EXACTLY what's in the product, right down to the very last stitch.

Whether or not this is a deal depends entirely on the control we're given. It's hard to maintain a popular server. If the tools to do that become unavailable, then I don't see a lot of operators biting on this.

Those that do bite will be mostly throwing money away. Yes, you have a server, now one more unpopulated out of many. Your friends can join, I think Origin allows 4 or 5, so that'll be fun at least, and you can spend the rest of the night hoping people join. If they do, great, it might be worth it, again, dependent on the tools you have to preserve sanity. However, because it's dynamic, when the last person leaves it will spin down and become just another in a long long list of empty servers and you'll have to go through the process of repopulating it all over again tomorrow. That's the bright side.

On the down side, because it's not easy to populate a server, you and your friends will eventually go to where the players are.
    Efranord wrote: »

I think it was confirmed that kick/ban was not ready 1st of november when these servers are ready for rental.

If you cannot kick people from your own server then that right there is a deal breaker. What is the point of renting your own space if even this most basic of functions is missing? And really, what on earth is... who was the guy who made up this excuse, "it's not ready yet"... Really? The "kick" function is still being worked on? Who believes this?

I'd bet my left arm DICE is being charged only a few dollars/month for these and that these "fair" prices are in reality just markups by men who've gone mad.
  • OfcRodFarva

Nothing has been "confirmed", which in and of itself is suspicious, because by the time you have pricing nailed down, you know EXACTLY what's in the product, right down to the very last stitch.

Whether or not this is a deal depends entirely on the control we're given. It's hard to maintain a popular server. If the tools to do that become unavailable, then I don't see a lot of operators biting on this.

Those that do bite will be mostly throwing money away. Yes, you have a server, now one more unpopulated out of many. Your friends can join, I think Origin allows 4 or 5, so that'll be fun at least, and you can spend the rest of the night hoping people join. If they do, great, it might be worth it, again, dependent on the tools you have to preserve sanity. However, because it's dynamic, when the last person leaves it will spin down and become just another in a long long list of empty servers and you'll have to go through the process of repopulating it all over again tomorrow. That's the bright side.

On the down side, because it's not easy to populate a server, you and your friends will eventually go to where the players are.
    Efranord wrote: »

If you cannot kick people from your own server then that right there is a deal breaker. What is the point of renting your own space if even this most basic of functions is missing? And really, what on earth is... who was the guy who made up this excuse, "it's not ready yet"... Really? The "kick" function is still being worked on? Who believes this?

I'd bet my left arm DICE is being charged only a few dollars/month for these and that these "fair" prices are in reality just markups by men who've gone mad.

Post of the day!. Agree with all you say.