Gameplay vs Realism

MiasmaGrowlmon
296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
It's quite obvious that having some form of realism in a game enhances the experience, but too much is too much. Every new release there's always suggestions about snipers OHKing to the everywhere, limiting sprint, legs and arms being shot off, rockets should kill all things, etc.

Please, think about what negative, aggravating effects certain realistic features would have on a game, making it quite unfun. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be in a game where winning or losing strictly depends on who sees who first, or having to move at the speed of a snail across the already huge map because I got shot in the foot.

Even in BF4 it's pretty obvious that some maps were made more with a realistic setting rather than one made for balanced, fun gameplay. There just has to be the right balance between realism and gameplay, but gameplay should always triumph.

Games are made for fun, no?

Comments

• Marshennn
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I wouldn't mind limited sprint. I've always been a fan of the slower gameplay from refractor-era battlefields and one of the reasons for that slow gameplay was limited sprint. It gets rid of the run and gun style and indirectly makes players think about their next moves.
  • forthecandy
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Being huge simulator fan, I would like to see more realistic gameplay, but I understand that Battlefield series is more about arcade action. But games like operation flashpoint, or arma, americas army, old Rainbow six games... they are fun because of the realism.
  • forthecandy
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    And I am all for very limited running... Those soldiers were mostly just boys forced to go there, so with those stupid uniforms, uncomfortable shoes and mud everywhere.... So running should be something like last resort
  • MegaloDorian
    910 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I don't necessarily like the idea of limited sprint, if not just because blueberries like to run off with all of the jeeps horses and just leave you stranded in your deployment, 500 meters away from the nearest objective.
  • King_of_Jimmies
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Id like to see realism in the small details, but not in most gameplay features, like as you said, legs blown off and such would make the game boring, instakills with everything at every range aswell. Limited sprint, sure. But mostly id just like to see some diversity in how the soldiers and horses look, I think that would honestly add far more "fun" to the game than legs being blown off.
  • UnderbossNiko
    190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Limited sprint isn't a bad idea. But sprinting may be quelled a bit with issues like barbed-wire, shell craters and thick mud that would hinder movement.
  • -L-M3rc3n4ry
    523 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    BF is a arcade game. Isn't like ArmA 3 or SQUAD.
    -
    The suggestion of OHK snipers is due ballance. If shotguns can OHK why weapons who fires slowly should have less stopping power?
  • CoR0oZZ
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    A suggestion with the sniper that they should have bullet drop and the wind carry on the bullets from shoting. And for the shotguns should have short range burst. BF4 they made them to OP and with a lot of range.