Battlefield 1 FPS drops!

Comments

• xenome111
    3064 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2
    Is the default
    GameTime.MaxVariableFps 100
    Differs per user
    Thread.ProcessorCount 4 //Change this to the number of cores your processor have
    Thread.MaxProcessorCount 4 //Change this to the number of cores your processor have
    Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 0
    Now you have set up your PC so that the game will use ALL of your CPU and leave none for things like the operating system.
    WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurRadialBlurMax 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurEnabled 0
    You can disable motion blur in the menus now, and most of these are for BF3 or BF4 but not BF1.
    WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable
    You're not even setting anything here
    WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
    WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
    And you just made smoke more blinding for practically no performance change.
    That's it, I hope this helps someone =)
    I hope you will learn to understand and properly test settings you are changing and not just recommend things that don't work, to everyone.

Renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 2 is not the default.
    Default is 0 which prioritizes the drivers before the engines parameter and if it is set to application controlled it goes to the value of engines parameter which is set at 2.
    So if u set directly at 2 it ignores the drivers parameters head on and can improve ur performance since it will lower the frame time in a cycle.
  • xenome111
    3064 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    perrynoid wrote: »
    xenome111 wrote: »
    I can't seem to find the user.cfg file... did EA change the name of it or do away with it somehow?

U have to create it.
    Create a notepad or text file then change the name to user. cfg (note cfg is the extension if u don't have permission to change extensions then u have to grant permission to do so)
    Put the commands in there and save.

Ok, so I did as you directed. there seems to be some improvement but, I still get random frame drops that make it almost unplayable at times. what else do you recommend?
    my hardware:
    Ryzen 5 1600x (stock clock)
    MSI M320 gaming MB
    MSI RX 580 8GB gaming video card with stock overclock enabled
    16 GB DDR4 2400 low latency (stock clock and voltage)
    I'm running the game on a 1440p 60 htz monitor over DVI
    I have all the latest drivers
    I have enabled enhanced sync in the Radeon settings
    my power plan is set to max performance
    seems to have similar problems running in DX 11 or 12
    Lowering my settings in game seems to improve overall average frame rate but does not prevent to crippling random dips and stuttering.
    Thanks in advance.

Well first of all go to default in ur driver settings since driver can affect depending on their versions so it's better to remove any variables first.
    Keep ur power plan at max.
    Change ur Renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 3
    Go to in game settings limit ur fps to whatever value u want most preferably closer to ur lowest fps.
    Then go to post process turn it to low or medium.
    Try the game if u get stutters post ur perfect graph here.
    ^For that type in console
    (Perfoverlay.drawgraph 1)
  • flep
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    I hope you will learn to understand and properly test settings you are changing and not just recommend things that don't work, to everyone.

Yeah sure mate. Your post helped a lot

/sarcasm

• perrynoid
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I can't seem to find the user.cfg file... did EA change the name of it or do away with it somehow?

U have to create it.
    Create a notepad or text file then change the name to user. cfg (note cfg is the extension if u don't have permission to change extensions then u have to grant permission to do so)
    Put the commands in there and save.

Ok, so I did as you directed. there seems to be some improvement but, I still get random frame drops that make it almost unplayable at times. what else do you recommend?
    my hardware:
    Ryzen 5 1600x (stock clock)
    MSI M320 gaming MB
    MSI RX 580 8GB gaming video card with stock overclock enabled
    16 GB DDR4 2400 low latency (stock clock and voltage)
    I'm running the game on a 1440p 60 htz monitor over DVI
    I have all the latest drivers
    I have enabled enhanced sync in the Radeon settings
    my power plan is set to max performance
    seems to have similar problems running in DX 11 or 12
    Lowering my settings in game seems to improve overall average frame rate but does not prevent to crippling random dips and stuttering.
    Thanks in advance.

Well first of all go to default in ur driver settings since driver can affect depending on their versions so it's better to remove any variables first.
    Keep ur power plan at max.
    Change ur Renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 3
    Go to in game settings limit ur fps to whatever value u want most preferably closer to ur lowest fps.
    Then go to post process turn it to low or medium.
    Try the game if u get stutters post ur perfect graph here.
    ^For that type in console
    (Perfoverlay.drawgraph 1)

Thank you to everyone in this discussion. It seems resetting Radeon settings both global and the game profile, as well as, the recent above measures helped a lot. I'm not sure yet if I am getting the frame rates that I have seen posted as benchmarks online for my hardware yet. However, now I'm getting no more random frame drops under 60 FPS.
    Now I can look for topics covering crashes from disconnected servers and input lag with directx 12...lol....
  • xcasxcursex
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2
    Is the default
    GameTime.MaxVariableFps 100
    Differs per user
    Thread.ProcessorCount 4 //Change this to the number of cores your processor have
    Thread.MaxProcessorCount 4 //Change this to the number of cores your processor have
    Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 0
    Now you have set up your PC so that the game will use ALL of your CPU and leave none for things like the operating system.
    WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurRadialBlurMax 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurEnabled 0
    You can disable motion blur in the menus now, and most of these are for BF3 or BF4 but not BF1.
    WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable
    You're not even setting anything here
    WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
    WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
    And you just made smoke more blinding for practically no performance change.
    That's it, I hope this helps someone =)

Renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 2 is not the default. ....it goes to the value of engines parameter which is set at 2.

So it's the default.
    So if u set directly at 2 it ignores the drivers parameters head on and can improve ur performance since it will lower the frame time in a cycle.

Frametime charts? Or are you just theorising?

• xcasxcursex
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    flep wrote: »

Yeah sure mate. Your post helped a lot

/sarcasm

There's help to be had in that post, if you're willing to accept it.
  • UltimateBachson
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hi everyone! I have an Asus Laptop with i7-6700HQ, 16gb ram and a gtx960m. I used to play with 60 fps and no fps drops at all but since last patches I'm having fps drops and stutterings when I play on some maps. I downgraded from Windows 10 creators update to Anniversary Update because the problem was much more severe on Creators update. For instance, now, if i play domination on Empire's Edge, I can't go in the bunker because fps drops and stutters occurs. The same happens in crowded rooms on Fort Vaux or when i look at C in Prise de Tahure and even in other maps like Amiens (I play with in "high performance"). can anyone help me?
  • ddk16
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hi everyone! I have an Asus Laptop with i7-6700HQ, 16gb ram and a gtx960m. I used to play with 60 fps and no fps drops at all but since last patches I'm having fps drops and stutterings when I play on some maps. I downgraded from Windows 10 creators update to Anniversary Update because the problem was much more severe on Creators update. For instance, now, if i play domination on Empire's Edge, I can't go in the bunker because fps drops and stutters occurs. The same happens in crowded rooms on Fort Vaux or when i look at C in Prise de Tahure and even in other maps like Amiens (I play with in "high performance"). can anyone help me?

Lol dude, i own Acer Predator 15 laptop with 980m and i7 6700hq and have same problem, used to play this game on high settings during open beta and everything was silky smooth with 90+fps, now i use 144 hz monitor, and even on normal settings i just get huge fps drops from time to time. Like, if it happens once, i have to restart my laptop coz even if i join other map/mode/server, it always laggy af. For example, today i've played 64 man operations for about 5 hours on high settings with no troubles, before fps drops appeared again.
  • GrimEntity
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    maybe one day they'll have a good optimized patch released or maybe its too late who knows, this game ran really smooth for me a few months ago though so idk what the hell happend.

i5-6402p @ 2.80GHz

16 GB RAM

RX480 4 GB

Windows 10 64 bit
  • razant15
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just throwing my complaint toward DICE too:

FX 8370 OC at 4.5Ghz x8 All cores running at max Freq. from BIOS. Just to be clear, DICE RECOMMENDS (so not the MIN.)on the Box a FX 8350.. (Also no other game even comes close to 90% Load on this CPU- e.g. BF4 at 140 res.scale runs at CONSTANT 100fps with CPU only at 50-60% Load).
    MSI 970 Gaming MOBO
    Gtx 1070 (8GB VRAM)
    16GB RAM
    GAME IS ON A NEW SAMSUNG SSD
    8 POWERFUL CASE FANS (I even made a hole in one panel to install one) all Blowing and Sucking Air from all Directions-the result is: under 100% load the CPU only reaches 46°C (114 Fahrenheit) and GPU 58-59°C (137 Fahrenheit). The VRMs dont exceed 60 ° either.
    All this powered by Cougar GX 800w PSU - this baby can handle two overclocked RX 480s in Crossfire like it is nothing.

PC WAS BUILT IN January 2017(specifically for Bf1), so all components are almost new. (Only changed two RX 480s with the 1070 in February cus crossfire\SLI sucks on most games).

On a 1080p 75hz Monitor I get:
    (THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN MULTIPLAYER, the SINGLE PLAYER runs perfectly).

mostly 50-80fps but drops to 30 are very frequent (at least 2 times a minute depending on what is happening) , but that sound better than it is, because when these 30-ish fps dips come, first the image STOPS for 0.5 seconds or more. It happens randomly, but of course more often when I'm trying to shoot someone who is moving or grenades explode or ALMOST EVERY TIME THE GAME ZOOMS OUT\IN after death.
    THESE DROPS \SKIPPED FRAMES happen with DX 11 AND DX 12 equally. Only I play DX 12 because the average FPS is a little higher. (with dx I cant even reach the 75hz my monitor has).DX12 uses better AMDs multicore.
    Even if I cap the fps to 60fps (I never use Vsync, either a user.cfg file or the menu option) the Frame Drops still happen often although the CPU usage is now only 70-80% (msi afterburner readings).
    I normally play at 125% resolution scale (so not even 2k) but the drops happen equally at 100% res.scale or 150% or higher (although with 150% the average fps is lower cus the gtx1070 is at 100%, whereas with 125% it spikes between 60-90%):
    I also tried High or Med. settings (I usually play at ULTRA) and the same problems occur (it is dumb to think that making the game even more CPU dependent would help).

It has ALWAYS been like that since I bought it Dec.2016 regardless of the Bf updates, Windows 10 updates or Nvidia drivers.Also using the custom .cfg file with all those things disabled only helped a very tiny bit.

THAT BEING SAID, these drops don't happen on all maps equally:
    On the SINAI DESERT map it almost never happens(even with 64 players online).
    Also SUEZ is almost as good!
    Monte Grappa, Ballroom are mediocre.
    Amiens and Argonne are THE WORST BY FAR!! NOT ONLY HUGE AND FREQUENT DROPS BUT ALSO LOW AVERAGE FPS (ca.10-15fps lower than the others).

DICE please, this is your flagship game this is not acceptable. I would like to buy the Battlefront 2 when is comes out, but if users will report same problems, you will not see me in stores but on tor*ent sites (yeah, playing only singleplayer is sad, but I'm not spending another 60€ on something that does not work as promised\advertised ever again.
    (I also got tricked into buying titanfall 2 cus it was said to support CROSSFIRE but it only does so in Singleplayer :'( ).
  • Zodhr
    27 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This could be a coincidence, but after I've installed Acronis True Image 2018 Build 9207 to back up HDD, my FPS dropped from solid 120 to 80-100.
    Anyone that has True Image, try delete it and see if it fixes FPS issue.
  • Ka1yna
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2017

This fix did the trick for me. Frame drops are very seldom now, the game feels much smoother, and the hit reg seems much better.
    The best answer here might help too.
  • Ka1yna
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2017
    cannot delete this message
  • Sarge_CornetoIV
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2017
    Oh my god. Very worst fps drops and lag spikes...
  • deSilvain
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Hey everyone,

I was having similar problems, having huge FPS drops in 64 player multiplayer matches, especially on maps such as St Quentin's Scar, Brusilov Keep, Galicia, etc. My CPU was really struggling to keep up, seeing spikes to 100% Usage (while GPU was at 60% or below), and huge stutters and FPS drops (barely playable with a lot of action going on).

My system is:
    Core i5 6600 (non K)
    GTX 980Ti
    16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz Ram
    Samsung 240 EVO SSD
    MSI H110i Pro motherboard

I had tried everything, and nothing worked:
    - Updated Windows to 1709 Fall Creators update
    - Edited the config file to set the renderaheadlimit, maxvariablefps, etc. etc.
    - Limited FPS to 60
    - Disabled Motion Blur, Film grain, Weapon DOF, etc.
    - Switched to DX11
    - Disabled Origin In-game
    - Disabled Windows DVR, Xbox overlay, etc.
    - Tweaked settings in Nvidia Control Panel to have PhysX rendered by GPU, etc.
    - Set CPU intensive in-game settings such as lighting, effects, mesh quality, undergrowth quality to low.

FINALLY: the only thing that seems to have resolved it for me is turning DX12 ON!!

Time and time again, I have read you should turn DX12 OFF for better performance (when the game first launched, DX12 just crashed my game). But on DX11 my performance was getting worse and worse (don't know if this was due to Windows updates, game updates, Nvidia updates, or something else). Finally, tried turning DX12 ON again, and my gameplay is now buttery smooth, even on Operations and Conquest on formerly problematic maps. No more dramatic framedrops, and framerate seems a lot more stable / smooth in general as well.

I thought I would share this info, in case it could help someone. Try turning DX12 ON.
  • Jinko_itx
    775 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm actuall
    DesdeAncud wrote: »
    Anybody else noticed that even when Afterburner tells you are running the game at 60fps the whole time, you do have noticeable framedrops? Same thing when i activate the fps count on screen (perfoverlay.drawfps 1).
    Am running the game on windows 7, 16gb of ram, i7 4790, gtx 970.

yea i had, it almost seems that a program is causing the game to run in "background" mode so the performance when playing takes a hit, i have yet to figure out what program it is but i am assuming is from the creators update and/or the latest video card drivers
  • Jinko_itx
    775 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ohh and for the stutter fix above, in Nvidia cards having your GPU restricted memory off can introduce stutter just an fyi
  • VonReisler
    572 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zodhr wrote: »
    This could be a coincidence, but after I've installed Acronis True Image 2018 Build 9207 to back up HDD, my FPS dropped from solid 120 to 80-100.
    Anyone that has True Image, try delete it and see if it fixes FPS issue.

Do you have the Acronis non stop backup service running?
  • lBuckyBarnesl
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Dear friends,

I've tried everything to stabilize my fps in BF1. I was getting low fps repeatadly when I was playing in Operations. So, there is one solution for me. Turn on DX12 as DeSilvain said. If your graphic card supports DX12, it is highly recommended to turn on it.
    (If you don't know whether your card supports DX12 or not , write 'dxdiag' on search screen via Start and it will help you to find out.
  • freakingcrazy
    924 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2017
    no dx12 must be off, It’s broken at The moment with This game.