This Week in Battlefield V

Snipers won't fire, help?

Comments

• JJH42
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have three ds4 controllers. My first from 3 years ago, one from two years ago, and the newest from this summer, version 2. They all exhibit this problem sporadically, only with the scout class. Pulling hard and quickly sometimes fixes it. But sometimes, no number of r2 pulls works. Dead gun = dead sniper. Some days, no problems at all. Some days, it comes and goes from match to match.

So, i suspect something askew with the scout class.
  • Nightmare__slbn
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sniping has never been better if you hold the fire button down it wont chamber another round and if not I have no problem with Sniping in this game it has never felt better.
  • oNEFARIOUSone
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Same problem:/
  • widdy2
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think the upcoming patch will fix this. I believe there will be an option for how much input triggers need to fire. If I'm correct just lower the % for L2/R2.

• XXXComicsXXX
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have same problem with Tank Gawehr,Flame thrower kit and every Scout rifles.No problem with other two elite kits and Cavalry sniper rifle.Patch wont work for me.
  • potatozswag
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Guys I found a fix! If you are using any controller with a trigger stop then turn it off and you will be able to shoot!
  • Jokeero101
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Lol, now I know I'm not alone, hope DICE will look it up! :)
  • The_BERG_366
    2316 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    u can now adjust the r2 and l2 deadzones. put that down to like 50% or less and u should be able to shoot again (even with a worn out controller)
  • lorenXD97
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Happening yet ? To me now yes but not before Patch 1.10
  • b2tchwood
    1073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Try changing the sensitivity of your triggers in the advanced options.
  • lorenXD97
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thank you, it worked!! So rare haha
  • ash2k1983
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hey guys,

I've had the same issue since an update. I have the elite controller and finally figured out a way around it. I had the trigger buttons set for the short press. I moved the green switch on the back to allow for a longer press and that's done the trick.

It used to work before an update though and had my controller fir over a year so I've no idea why they've not checked or figured it out.
  • jmgargoyle
    2463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It sounds to me like you've worn out the "pad" on that trigger button over time? You can buy them cheaply online and replace them yourself or send your controller back In to have them do a rebuild on it.....I've had the same issue before. I just stopped using the trigger locks....
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    jmgargoyle wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you've worn out the "pad" on that trigger button over time? You can buy them cheaply online and replace them yourself or send your controller back In to have them do a rebuild on it.....I've had the same issue before. I just stopped using the trigger locks....

One thing I noticed, since I'm finally grinding scout class, is that if you press too lightly or too slow it doesn't register. I found pressing like I do when I am support ensures the gun fires...the drawback is sometimes my scope moves cause my thumb hits the thumbstick.
  • ash2k1983
    jmgargoyle wrote: »

Definitely not in my case. It only happens with the scout class. All other classes work fine with my triggers. All other games use the triggers fine too.

It used to work fine since an update. I wonder if anyone else with the issue is just using the elite controller?

I'm level 48. Went to my brothers last week and he's level 75 and using the controller that came with his Xbox. So the controller is older and works.

I initially went to the length of uninstalling the game and re-installing and that was a monumental pain with 55gb including the updates.

• KanjiklubJanitor
    192 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I had this same problem a while back with Battlefield 4, and I did find a fix that was relatively simply and easy.

Like you guys, every gun other than sniper rifles would work, and so would every other game. The only way I could get snipers to shoot was by quickly and aggressively pressing R2, and even then it didn't work most times.

The back of the R2 trigger (and L2) has a knife blade-like protrusion, when you press R2 this moves the protrusion inward toward a silicon cylinder, which when depressed enough will basically tell the controller that you pressed R2.

The problem is that silicon is soft and the R2 button is hard, so after a while (or with aggressive use) this knife blade-like protrusion will cut a groove in the silicon cylinder. Now when you press R2 inward it just fits into the groove and doesn't press R2 until the very end of its movement. The reason this cause problems only with sniper rifles is because the amount of input required for the sniper rifle to fire, is larger than with an assault rifle.

To fix this I simply opened up the controller, found my way to the R2/L2 button and used a toothpick to put some new silicon in the groove, after this it was like having a new controller.

I want to add that I do not have any experience fixing electronics, anyone can do this. I do recommend that you fill L2 also if it has a groove since at this point you've done the difficult part of opening the controller up. I also recommend doing this on a large flat surface as there are several small pieces that you don't want to lose.

Here's some silicon: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500304137&sr=8-4&keywords=rtv+silicone

Here's the article I used to disassemble the controller: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/DualShock+4+Touch+Pad+Replacement/22684 I know it says touchpad but this gets you deep enough into the controller to access the R2/L2 buttons.

I really hope this helps guys! Good luck!
  • Corvor3
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have found a fix, just go to the Advanced options, go to controller L2/R2, decrease R2 max input threshold to 90% or less.
    I hope this help
  • WetFishDB
    1989 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Anybody having this same issue? Literally none of my snipers will fire. Well maybe after I hold the trigger in for 10 seconds. After researching I found that some guys had the same problem back on bf4. Something to do with the right trigger on my controller being slightly damaged apparently, but I'm not convinced. Bf4 and hardline work fine. None of my friends are having the same issue. I just wanted to put the feelers out. Im going to ask a friend to bring a controller round to test. Wanted to explore all avenues before I bite the bullet and buy a new controller. Any info would be muchly appreciated.

I used to use a scuf which had trigger stops. Found I couldn't fire most of the scout rifles as they need a full depress in order to fire. It could well be controller damage related (although could be other reasons too of course).
  • Growthorn
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    NateRm31 wrote: »
    Same problem here as well on Xb1. All semi-auto rifles, sniper rifles, and shotguns will not fire....I thought it was my elite controller at first, then tried to use my other controllers and still the same problem. Hard reset the xbox and still not working...I contacted EA Sports about it and reported this issue as a bug and still no help. I've been told to revert to the forums, where it's all complaints and no fixes...looks like ill be waiting for COD haha

This topic is old but I'm sure this info will help someone.

I fixed my controller following this video:

Good luck!
  • jmgargoyle
    2463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    army1116 wrote: »
    I had this same problem a while back with Battlefield 4, and I did find a fix that was relatively simply and easy.

Like you guys, every gun other than sniper rifles would work, and so would every other game. The only way I could get snipers to shoot was by quickly and aggressively pressing R2, and even then it didn't work most times.

The back of the R2 trigger (and L2) has a knife blade-like protrusion, when you press R2 this moves the protrusion inward toward a silicon cylinder, which when depressed enough will basically tell the controller that you pressed R2.

The problem is that silicon is soft and the R2 button is hard, so after a while (or with aggressive use) this knife blade-like protrusion will cut a groove in the silicon cylinder. Now when you press R2 inward it just fits into the groove and doesn't press R2 until the very end of its movement. The reason this cause problems only with sniper rifles is because the amount of input required for the sniper rifle to fire, is larger than with an assault rifle.

To fix this I simply opened up the controller, found my way to the R2/L2 button and used a toothpick to put some new silicon in the groove, after this it was like having a new controller.

I want to add that I do not have any experience fixing electronics, anyone can do this. I do recommend that you fill L2 also if it has a groove since at this point you've done the difficult part of opening the controller up. I also recommend doing this on a large flat surface as there are several small pieces that you don't want to lose.

Here's some silicon: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500304137&sr=8-4&keywords=rtv+silicone

Here's the article I used to disassemble the controller: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/DualShock+4+Touch+Pad+Replacement/22684 I know it says touchpad but this gets you deep enough into the controller to access the R2/L2 buttons.

I really hope this helps guys! Good luck!

That's the worn pads I was referring to...youve got those (which are seperated) and 4way pads for your other buttons...
This discussion has been closed.