Regarding parachutes in WW1

Comments

• forthecandy
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Well... I am WW1 enthusiast :D And I would love to see parachutes, experimental weapons, tank prototypes and all the unrealistic stuff...

But they should not call it WW1 game... Maybe something like Alternative history WW1 wolfenstein-like inspired fps.. Then I would look forward to anything they could think of
  • DingoKillr
    4137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They'll probably put parachutes in.

Its not like these planes are going to be as strong as jets in BF4. Far from it.
    It already seems like a bit of risk picking the pilot class (which i'm guessing would be far less useful on the ground) so why not allow them to bail out safely. It will surely be fairly easy to kill them if you are running any other class.

It may not be authentic, but it wont harm the game in any way. Unless you are a WW1 enthusiast, in which case you'll probably find many things to moan about.

This is a game.

Vehicles are going to have dynamic damage, so it makes even risker, just image a plane could lose part of wing and still be 80% health.
  • Peccath
    618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Parachutes should be issued to the pilot class, but the soldier should still take like say 50 damage if he bails with a parachute because they werent very safe during WW1.

Now we're talking! I really like that idea.
  • Frankenstein68
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have a suggestion; I’m not a “fan” of everyone having a parachute but I understand it is a Battlefield staple and will probably be included for ground troops and pilots alike. Fine.

Parachutes were in their infancy back in the Great War. They were a last resort. How about making it so the parachute has a chance of failure? Say... 1 in 4? If you’re in a plane or Zep that’s on fire; sure, take the chance. Best case you survive to fight another day. Worst case you’re just as dead as you would have been burning up, you just have to wait for it as you plummet to the earth for the sudden stop at the end. I’d take that chance.

If you’re a ground pounder though, you might think twice about using it to get he jump on that guy on street level if you’re on the forth floor.

“Hehehe... He’ll never see this coming! Hey, why isn’t my chute... ah crap...." (splat)

Just a suggestion.... :)
  • forthecandy
    Historical accuracy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ back in the duty to remind you, that parachutes were not "last resort", they simply did not exist, except for observation balloons, which would be quite boring to play :D
  • MagyarMatt
    66 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Peccath wrote: »
    MagyarMatt wrote: »
    I hope there are no parachutes then the scrubs won't be able to plane taxi their way over to their favourite hill!

The pilot class already takes care of that problem.

To an extent. Someone flies to a hill jumps out and then all his sniper mates spawn in on him! Trust me the scrubs will find a way!!
  • king4nor
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    I gues we will have para, we cant follow WWI to strict. adding in a para is probably okay, but they can add a function that sometimes youre just stuck in the plane if you are trying to jump out.. like in Bf4 air superiority where you cant jump out cause "malfunction".
  • Frankenstein68
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    Historical accuracy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ back in the duty to remind you, that parachutes were not "last resort", they simply did not exist, except for observation balloons, which would be quite boring to play :D

Actually, they did. The pilots weren’t given them for the most part because the big brass sitting in their chateau’s directing the lowly troops while drinking sherry felt it would foster “cowardice”. They thought pilots would be too quick to bail out if they got in trouble and by not giving them chutes, they would be more likely to stick it out and try and get the plane back in one piece (or pieces... they were fabric and plywood after all....). The plane was more important than the pilot early on. It took them a while to realize pilots were a finite resource and protecting them was more important, especially once production ramped up and planes were reaching the front in sufficient numbers.

As for playing in observation balloons... That would be a heck of a sniper’s pearch.... ;)
  • Frankenstein68
    king4nor wrote: »
    I gues we will have para, we cant follow WWI to strict. adding in a para is probably okay, but they can add a function that sometimes youre just stuck in the plane if you are trying to jump out.. like in Bf4 air superiority where you cant jump out cause "malfunction".

If by “malfunction” you mean something like “Oh god, oh god, I’m on fire!!!”, I’m all for that! :)
  • Peccath
    618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I hope there are no parachutes then the scrubs won't be able to plane taxi their way over to their favourite hill!

To an extent. Someone flies to a hill jumps out and then all his sniper mates spawn in on him! Trust me the scrubs will find a way!!

Lol, you might be right on that :smiley:
  • forthecandy

Actually, they did. The pilots weren’t given them for the most part because the big brass sitting in their chateau’s directing the lowly troops while drinking sherry felt it would foster “cowardice”. They thought pilots would be too quick to bail out if they got in trouble and by not giving them chutes, they would be more likely to stick it out and try and get the plane back in one piece (or pieces... they were fabric and plywood after all....). The plane was more important than the pilot early on. It took them a while to realize pilots were a finite resource and protecting them was more important, especially once production ramped up and planes were reaching the front in sufficient numbers.

As for playing in observation balloons... That would be a heck of a sniper’s pearch.... ;)

I stated this somewhere above... Sure, they "could be" implemented much sooner, but they were not... So they were non existent = not used during most of the war..
  • Turban_Legend80
    4745 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

Lol, you might be right on that :smiley:

Hmmm I'm not so sure. That would require more teamwork than any bushwookie is capable of.
  • Frankenstein68
    edited May 2016
    I stated this somewhere above... Sure, they "could be" implemented much sooner, but they were not... So they were non existent = not used during most of the war..

I interpreted “non-existent' to mean they didn’t exist at that time which was factually incorrect. Hence my correction. It’s not that they were “non existent”, it’s more accurate to say they were not implemented.
  • forthecandy
    I interpreted “non-existent' to mean they didn’t exist at that time which was factually incorrect. Hence my correction. It’s not that they were “non existent”, it’s more accurate to say they were not implemented.

My bad... I just want everyone to know that parachutes were simply not a common thing back then... So saying "okay, infantry will not have parachutes, ONLY pilots will have them" is like saying it was normal for a pilot to have one
  • zePokar1
    735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Whatever they do with parachutes I don't think it's something that you're gonna see and think : Damn that doesn't fit the WW1 theme. It has also a fun factor to it.
  • forthecandy
    But it simply does not fit... Being a pilot was nearly a death sentence in WW1. When something went bad, you could to nothing but die... Jumping out was not an option... And even that happened.. Pilots used to jump out to their death, because it was better than dying in flaming plane

As bbc stated: In 1915 the average life expectancy for an Allied pilot was just 11 days....
  • Turban_Legend80
    But it simply does not fit... Being a pilot was nearly a death sentence in WW1. When something went bad, you could to nothing but die... Jumping out was not an option... And even that happened.. Pilots used to jump out to their death, because it was better than dying in flaming plane

As bbc stated: In 1915 the average life expectancy for an Allied pilot was just 11 days....

Whilst thats true, it gives little incentive to get in the plane in the first place.
    I cant imagine they would have much firepower, so getting kills will more than likely be harder than it is in BF4
  • forthecandy
    Whilst thats true, it gives little incentive to get in the plane in the first place.
    I cant imagine they would have much firepower, so getting kills will more than likely be harder than it is in BF4

Well... At least sky wont be spammed by ramming planes.

And for the firepower - it was pretty easy to shoot down other planes, they were not that sturdy.

Then there was strafing - this was used to shoot unarmored vehicles and personnel. There were even planes designed for this role.

And last - balloons and airships were easy target for planes - some even used simple rockets for this
  • forthecandy
    One last thought... Those planes were slow and ground attacks were kinda easy because of that. AA guns were useless, when the plane was flying low, so only danger came from other planes, or soldiers with rifles
  • Turban_Legend80
    @forthecandy - In my head I was comparing the possible damage output against infantry to what we have now in BF4.

I hope they balance the ttk against infantry and not make it harder than it already is. The 30mm gau is laughable against infantry for example.

Hopefully the biplanes cannons(?) will still have a similar ttk. If not, there would be almost no point entering them.

Good point about the speed. Slower speeds should make you more accurate, but also much easier for the enemy to take you out.