Why battlefield would never work as an eSport

DisfunkD86
696 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hi guys,

Ive been reading a lot of discussion related to the addition for competitive leagues and to bring Battlefield up to the Level of other great eSport titles such as CS GO LoL & CoD

the reason why games like CoD suck sooooo bad is what makes them great game choices for eSports. if you take away all the children and are purely left with players who's ambition it is to be the best games like CoD & CS GO become a completely different beast. simplistic 5v5 match scenarios where the best players match up and use a variety of strategies to beat their opponent. the maps are small, fast moving and is fantastic as a spectator sport.

now what makes Battlefield soooo fantastic is its open world war on a massive scale, now this is the reason why it will not work as an eSport. What makes battlefield stand out from the rest is its conquest & operations game mode. Unfortunately the logistics behind creating enough 20 man teams that can all play together at the same time each day is just horrific to think about, for me a Battlefield eSports would have to be conquest on a massive scale for it to stand out amongst the crows as a 5v5 TDM would just be laughable when you got games like CoD and CS GO out there.

For those reasons, i just do not see major eSports brands backing Battlefield due to the complexity behind creating enough teams that can compete against each other

Comments

• TheMalakith
    341 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Could be okay if they brought conquest small back. Either 10 vs 10 or have domination with decent spawnpoints and 5 vs 5.

I kind disagree a little though that they size makes it impossible. In games like Arma you can have coordinated 40+ man groups without problems, though it will be harder to make up such a group and usually they have a chain of command like in the actual army.

This game isn't really competitive as it is imo. To many small bugs, and perhaps some balancing that needs to be done. At least the hitreg seems a lot better now than in the previous titles, that was the main reason I didn't see it as a fitting game for competitive matches with the previous titles.
  • Neil_Enbob
    689 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's not meant to be an eSport game. BF1 is a casual fun shooter, not taken seriously on the competitive tournament scene.
  • DisfunkD86
    Neil_Enbob wrote: »
    It's not meant to be an eSport game. BF1 is a casual fun shooter, not taken seriously on the competitive tournament scene.

yeah i agree, i think the subject has picked up a little pace recently

Could be okay if they brought conquest small back. Either 10 vs 10 or have domination with decent spawnpoints and 5 vs 5.

for it to work i think even a 5v5 would have to allow access to atleast 1 vehicle just to give it USP vs other eSport titles on the market

• dgeesio
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    its too random to be a esports game.you cant have important big money games decided on a possible bug.which you can never rule out in bf games.

imagine massive game in final one million watching live and its down to whoever gets next kill.then one player just dies for nothing which happens in bf regular.that is why bf wont ever be a esport game and shouldnt try to be one.
  • TheMalakith
    341 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    DisfunkD86 wrote: »
    Neil_Enbob wrote: »

yeah i agree, i think the subject has picked up a little pace recently

for it to work i think even a 5v5 would have to allow access to atleast 1 vehicle just to give it USP vs other eSport titles on the market

With 10 vs 10 conquest small it shouldn't be a problem. As long as they don't add the pick-up classes :neutral:
  • Screwiez
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    you mean like hitboxes in csgo?
  • DisfunkD86
    Screwiez wrote: »

i played CSS competitively, where hitboxes very to a degree and issue, but my point is regardless of network code issues. games like CS CSS CSGO make horrific public MP's but are fantastic as an eSports franchise
  • Sgt-Er1kssoN
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BF1 is purely made for casuals unlike BF4
  • Screwiez
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DisfunkD86 wrote: »
    Screwiez wrote: »

i played CSS competitively, where hitboxes very to a degree and issue, but my point is regardless of network code issues. games like CS CSS CSGO make horrific public MP's but are fantastic as an eSports franchise

i was responding to dgeesio "its too random to be a esports game"

• jelliedsoup
    748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Their servers are too bad. Or I'm sure they up spec it due to the publicity.
  • TheMalakith

Servers are fine, I usually have between 9-15 ping with no issues or latency.
  • jelliedsoup
    748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Servers are fine, I usually have between 9-15 ping with no issues or latency.

Servers are fine for you. I have 30 latency which theoretically shouldn't be as bad as what I experience.

The only leveller is to keep running like a nutcase the whole time.
  • DisfunkD86
    i think it will all boil down to how you can cfg a custom server

the possibilities are almost endless, with so many different types of grenade it add many different elements of gameplay the thought of an 8v8 with both teams using grenades fire/gas/smoke/explosive strategically is very exciting you've then got charges mines, many elements that could make for a very exciting competitive scene, but it would depend of what kind of server rules you could implement
  • PandaGrenada
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I will work at the ESL level just like BF4 did. It will never become one of the big esport titles the game is simply just not designed with that in mind.
  • DisfunkD86
    I will work at the ESL level just like BF4 did. It will never become one of the big esport titles the game is simply just not designed with that in mind.

yeah you are right but it has potential with all the elements i mentioned above
  • MajorDirt
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Reason BF is what it is today and the reason its a super unique game is because of it's scale and only in BF moments which are not comp friendly. sure it can close the gap and make it atleast fun to play competitive but nothing serious and major.

BF is a fun shooter. that's the end of it.

I would like to see support for conquest small or squad rush though so atleast you can have fun organizing private matches and have a blast.
  • DisfunkD86
    yeah only in battlefield moments can be compared to only in GTA which i like.. CoD offers 0 humour it only breeds future psychopaths
  • OBM_de
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yeah totally agree, this game has right now no good change to be an Esport Title . But who knows? This game has just been released. Lets see what DLC are bringing. I really like to see some Smaller Conquest Map in upcoming DLC´s.
  • dgeesio
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

it will work at ESL lvl there were like a handful of teams.it didnt work.just as bf3 didnt or any other bf game.you die to randomly.there are random bugs.you just cant afford to have that in big games for esports being watched by millions.makes your game look silly and the company who makes it.

as pointed out the game needs to work floorless or 99 percent flawless. be fast enough and exciting enough to make a audience watch it.bf works for mp gaming on big scale.its not a 6v6 game. which is mainly esports type titles work.
  • lucidstorm
    1738 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I stopped reading when I saw the word COD, I just can't