Operations - Mirror versions of each one.

RabNebula
235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
edited November 2016
Operations is a good concept. However, it's not well balanced and the majority of the time the teams won't make it through the maps due to a lot of reasons culminating in very passive attacker teams with little communication (Especially on console where you can't type in your own text messages and squad orders aren't announced to the whole team alerting other squads where their team is)
Because of these things, Operations gets very repetitive and a bit dull as you often don't even get to play the 2nd or 3rd maps. It would be interesting to see the defender teams become the attacker teams in alternate counter operations where you have to push back the previously attacking forces out of Amiens and back into the trenches for example.
Post edited by RabNebula on

Comments

• ninjapenquinuk
    1812 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm sure in past BF games map rotations used to have you swap sides. So you'd say play Amiens as British, then next map as Germany. Perhaps that was a server option. Would Certainly make sense to do that in Operations.
  • RabNebula
    235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm sure in past BF games map rotations used to have you swap sides. So you'd say play Amiens as British, then next map as Germany. Perhaps that was a server option. Would Certainly make sense to do that in Operations.

You attack and defend in Rush which used to have up to 64 players so maybe you're thinking of that are you? Operations is a bit different to Rush as its over a couple of maps and takes a bit longer so it's hard to do one and then switch teams to the other unlike in rush.

But yeh, I feel with mirror versions of Operations where you have to push attackers back out of the final destination, it could just open up very different perspectives on playing the maps and could make playing Operations more interesting and feel less repetitive.
  • khoplin
    16 postsMember, Developer DICE, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1
    Hello everyone

Operations will be getting a balance pass very soon!
  • RabNebula
    edited November 2016
    khoplin wrote: »
    Hello everyone

That's good to know and good to see some DICE presence here! :smile: Certainly looking forward to finding out if the balance changes are anything similar to a previous thread I made. Even with balance changes I still feel it might get a bit samey after a little while though. Would certainly keep the mode and maps interesting to mirror it and push in the other direction at some point too.
  • incapslap
    3513 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hello everyone

Please keep it relatively hard for attackers. A lot of people don't know what they're doing, and balancing the mode so they can get all the way to the end will ruin it.
  • RabNebula
    incapslap wrote: »
    Hello everyone

Please keep it relatively hard for attackers. A lot of people don't know what they're doing, and balancing the mode so they can get all the way to the end will ruin it.

Alot of people don't know what they are doing when they defend either but they still have a much better chance of winning overall than attackers. It should be a challenge sure but it should be a challenge for both sides. A real tug of war.

In fact a tug of war is actually more how I pictured this mode when I 1st heard about it. I guessed there'd be a set time and each side pushing and pulling sectors and the winner is the one who gets into the other teams territories. Then maybe 3 sectors in a team gets a behemoth to try and turn it round. There'd obviously be more to it than that but that's the simplified version of how I pictured it.
  • xTOMMYTROJANx
    161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    RabNebula wrote: »
    Operations is a good concept. However, it's not well balanced and the majority of the time the teams won't make it through the map due a lot of reasons culminating in very passive attacker teams with little communication (Especially on console where you can't type in your own text messages)
    Because of these things, Operations gets very repetitive and a bit dull as you often don't even get to play the 2nd or 3rd maps. It would be interesting to see the defender teams become the attacker teams in alternate counter operations where you have to push back the previously attacking forces out of Amiens and back into the trenches for example.

I walked through two operations as an attacker last night. Bluedots just need to do their jobs and work together. Not everyone sit on A while 2 squads are trying to take B. Or everyone leaving B after it's taken instead of having a few guys hang back to make sure we hold the objective.

Some bluedots have no concept of tactics or strategy. Like go play some Risk or Axis and Allies to learn some shoot and sweep.
  • firebanshee
    220 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hello everyone

seriously... It is not the game mode's fault that most players are ignorant scrubs and hill humpers.

with two competent teams, this is the best BF game mode I've ever played and the skirmish it can create is grueling and very rewarding when your team gets it right.
  • xTOMMYTROJANx
    161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hello everyone

seriously... It is not the game mode's fault that most players are ignorant scrubs and hill humpers.

with two competent teams, this is the best BF game mode I've ever played and the skirmish it can create is grueling and very rewarding when your team gets it right.

This is my exact thoughts on this game mode. Absolutely love it when we get these kind of matches. I feel great after whether I win or lose as long as everyone did their jobs
  • incapslap
    3513 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    RabNebula wrote: »
    Hello everyone

Alot of people don't know what they are doing when they defend either but they still have a much better chance of winning overall than attackers. It should be a challenge sure but it should be a challenge for both sides. A real tug of war.

In fact a tug of war is actually more how I pictured this mode when I 1st heard about it. I guessed there'd be a set time and each side pushing and pulling sectors and the winner is the one who gets into the other teams territories. Then maybe 3 sectors in a team gets a behemoth to try and turn it round. There'd obviously be more to it than that but that's the simplified version of how I pictured it.

Yeah, but it's much easier for the defenders because their tactics are nowhere near the same level of difficulty. For instance, swarming objectives and simply rotating is a pretty viable strategy in casual games, and simply shooting up at the huge thing in the sky is much easier than calling out to your team to shoot at the AA locations, and to flank and destroy them before the Behemoth gets wrecked.

And I think having a mirror version could be pretty good actually. Would it not represent how defenders really won by pushing the attackers out and reclaiming the territory? Could also reveal very interesting things about balance.
  • RabNebula
    And I think having a mirror version could be pretty good actually. Would it not represent how defenders really won by pushing the attackers out and reclaiming the territory? Could also reveal very interesting things about balance.

Exactly that!