Armistice Day Today

RabNebula
235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
edited November 2016
I'm surprised to see little mention of this today considering the setting of the game. I feel it's fair to pay respects. It's a shame DICE didn't seem to think to release a poppy dog tag for it or something.
Armistice Day falls each year on 11 November to mark the day in 1918 when the fighting in World War One was stopped.

The Allies and Germany signed an armistice in a railway carriage in the Forest of Compiegne in France at 05:00. Six hours later, at 11:00, the conflict ceased.

King George V announced that a two-minute silence would be observed in 1919, four days before the first anniversary of Armistice Day. The silence continues to be observed every year on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

This is the poem by Lieutenant Colonel John McRae about his time at the 2nd battle of Ypres in the region of Flanders, Belgium where the Germans used one of the 1st ever chemical attacks. The poem inspired the poppy to become the symbol of rememberance for millions on Armistice Day.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Post edited by RabNebula on

Comments

• RabNebula
    235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    Not even a mention of it on the main menu! Just "Happy Friday!" REALLY?
  • fragkat
    240 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    careful I think t hey ban you for this :(.... Saw another thread, where some muslim... person....posted he was offended an didn't give a damn about vets. should have been perma banned on spot.
  • Foamcow
    177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I for one jumped on a server at 10:50 UTC, ran as medic and only healed/revived. At 11am I stood still. Got killed a couple of times but I got them back at 11:03.
  • Ameeba37
    1753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DICE is Swedish after all and this day is just a regular day for them. I live in Finland and I really can't tell if I've even heard of this day until today...
  • RabNebula
    edited November 2016
    Foamcow wrote: »
    I for one jumped on a server at 10:50 UTC, ran as medic and only healed/revived. At 11am I stood still. Got killed a couple of times but I got them back at 11:03.

That's some game play I'd love to have seen. It sounds somewhat amusing but still respectful.
    Ameeba37 wrote: »
    DICE is Swedish after all and this day is just a regular day for them. I live in Finland and I really can't tell if I've even heard of this day until today...

You've never heard of the day that WW1 ended and the killing stopped? I'm quite well travelled and it's surprising to hear it might not be considered a significant day of rememberance all around the world as it is such a huge moment in the history of the world. I mean it's WORLD War 1.

I know there are other countries who do recognise it and personally I feel if DICE/EA are going to make money off it then the least they could do is show enough respect to those who lost their lives, soldier or civilian no matter which side, with some sign of rememberance on the day that peace came.
  • Ameeba37
    1753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2016
    RabNebula wrote: »

You've never heard of the day that WW1 ended and the killing stopped? I'm quite well travelled and it's surprising to hear it might not be considered a significant day of rememberance all around the world as it is such a huge moment in the history of the world. I mean it's WORLD War 1.

I did know when WW1 ended, I just meant that we've never had anything special here because of it. Finland didn't really participate in WW1 except maybe some volunteers. We just had our own civil war in the early 1918.

RabNebula wrote: »

I know there are other countries who do recognise it and personally I feel if DICE/EA are going to make money off it then the least they could do is show enough respect to those who lost their lives, soldier or civilian no matter which side, with some sign of rememberance on the day that peace came.

Sure it naturally would have fit the BF1´s theme perfectly, can't deny that. Also, the game itself is already a massive tribute to anything WW1 related.
  • tolivious
    165 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    In Germany Nov 11th is the start of Carnival season. I believe it does not go too well together...
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's important that we take a minute to remember all the lives and souls we've lost in the war and bloodshed.

We will never forget - to everyone we lost during the six seasons of Game of Thrones, we will always remember you.
  • Sindari
    2664 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    DICE should have sneaked in a ninja patch it that made it impossible to fire any weapons for 2 minutes from 11.00am. Would have been equal parts hilarious and respectful. The forums would no doubt have filled up with bug reports afterwards though.
  • Ameeba37
    Sindari wrote: »
    DICE should have sneaked in a ninja patch it that made it impossible to fire any weapons for 2 minutes from 11.00am. Would have been equal parts hilarious and respectful. The forums would no doubt have filled up with bug reports afterwards though.

That is probably much more complicated to execute than it sounds
  • Sindari
    2664 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

That is probably much more complicated to execute than it sounds

Yeah, doubt very much it could have been done easily, or at all, but would have been awesome to see. Have a mental image of people still trying to fire and it slowly dawning on them why they can't and then everything resuming at 11.03am. Would have been epic.
  • LordVader666
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I'm REALLY hoping that come Xmas Day there's snow on all the maps (yes even desert maps) and a football appears at one of the central spawns and it's up to the players what they do next...

I wouldn't be able to participate but it'd be pretty damn cool
  • RabNebula
    edited November 2016

I'm REALLY hoping that come Xmas Day there's snow on all the maps (yes even desert maps) and a football appears at one of the central spawns and it's up to the players what they do next...

I wouldn't be able to participate but it'd be pretty damn cool

Ha well there is a snow map coming I heard. So maybe they'll stick a football and little goals on it as a nice fun little touch.