Hit Detection

Comments

• der_Metatron
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It would be pure awesomness, if the private Servers could be region locked by the owner!

Last nights first Game
    https://account.xbox.com/de-de/gameclip/e0aaa3bd-1d47-44b2-b629-5bf76ef8fccf?gamerTag=der Metatron&scid=72010100-7d7f-4105-b34e-3ec552a4c121

The second Map
    https://account.xbox.com/de-de/gameclip/cb7ca593-ec1d-44c6-9982-78d3a7254b11?gamerTag=der Metatron&scid=72010100-7d7f-4105-b34e-3ec552a4c121

it starts at 00:11 the hits from the Arty-truck visually miss and I got some Splash damage. After that EVERY direct Hit misses me visually. At 00:23 the shot clearly misses my Tank by MILES and I get a direct hit wich Did a lot of Damage

In my last Game
    https://account.xbox.com/de-de/gameclip/cbc37127-3ea5-4021-94c7-002594a7695d?gamerTag=der Metatron&scid=72010100-7d7f-4105-b34e-3ec552a4c121

I was shot from the side, and pounded him with the A10. From that Distance it normaly does damage. But as was clearly visible at the beginning of the clip someone was jumping forward and back (00:19). At least the should be some secondary Pellet hits at that distance. After a bunch of players left the game was playable as at the start.

It seems that the ervers kind of degenerate over time, like the BF4 Servers, wich crashed then more often. Bit the longer BF1 is out the playing experience declines.
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited January 2017
    mischkag wrote: »
    Thx guys. Yes of course there is a big team behind BF1 live support and future fixes/improvements/expansion packs. But we also have experts and ownership for certain aspects of the game. That one here happens to be mine. We may be able to squeeze some improvements into the upcoming patch, fingers crossed. The bigger ones will have to wait a bit longer though.
    The 300 ms stuff is basically a restriction on high pingers to enforce some sort of leading their shot. But the truth is that it does not make a meaningful difference as of yet. There are some ideas to change that.
    I would really appreciate the participation on CTE. This will help making meaningful changes in a real environment. I will let u know once it is up.
    As far as the menu speed goes. Its true that this is a bit slow. I will see if we can address that.

I'm looking forward to the CTE and I appreciate the technical feedback you have provided thus far.

Some members on the forum here have been interested in getting a BF1 event going to provide video of gameplay, from all players in the server, with netgraph enabled, for full rounds. Is this something DICE can track data of on the server side assuming there's enough planning involved? If so, is this something DICE would even be interested in doing? Somewhat similar to the tickrate testing done in BF4, but much more cooperation is needed within the community to do their part.

Thanks again for posting and keeping us informed.
  • diagoro
    1593 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It would be pure awesomness, if the private Servers could be region locked by the owner!

Last nights first Game
    https://account.xbox.com/de-de/gameclip/e0aaa3bd-1d47-44b2-b629-5bf76ef8fccf?gamerTag=der Metatron&scid=72010100-7d7f-4105-b34e-3ec552a4c121

The second Map
    https://account.xbox.com/de-de/gameclip/cb7ca593-ec1d-44c6-9982-78d3a7254b11?gamerTag=der Metatron&scid=72010100-7d7f-4105-b34e-3ec552a4c121

it starts at 00:11 the hits from the Arty-truck visually miss and I got some Splash damage. After that EVERY direct Hit misses me visually. At 00:23 the shot clearly misses my Tank by MILES and I get a direct hit wich Did a lot of Damage

In my last Game
    https://account.xbox.com/de-de/gameclip/cbc37127-3ea5-4021-94c7-002594a7695d?gamerTag=der Metatron&scid=72010100-7d7f-4105-b34e-3ec552a4c121

I was shot from the side, and pounded him with the A10. From that Distance it normaly does damage. But as was clearly visible at the beginning of the clip someone was jumping forward and back (00:19). At least the should be some secondary Pellet hits at that distance. After a bunch of players left the game was playable as at the start.

It seems that the ervers kind of degenerate over time, like the BF4 Servers, wich crashed then more often. Bit the longer BF1 is out the playing experience declines.

I've noticed a lot the past few days. Have been using the heavy tank, and see quite a few shots fly past the tank, but than hear a hit several seconds later, along with damage. From my angle and location (and number of times it happened) can say that the damage wasn'T from a secondary source.

On the flip side, don't see my misses counting as hits. On the contrary, often hit infantry point blank without even splash damage.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Most people here in the forums are asking for region and ping locks. You essentially ask for the opposite, am I right? I guess the right direction is really having a bunch of servers region/ping locked and the others should be open and labelled as 'International' or so.

@mischkag What I've been saying since late BF3/early BF4; There should be official DICE/EA "Open" servers and "Region Locked" servers.

I've never understood the reasoning behind labeling the region of servers but not restricting them to that region.
    In a perfect world, the label would inform people where to play in-region for the best performance, but in the real, DICE-logic world, it tacitly encourages selfish people to play out-of-region for their best performance at the expense of everyone playing in their correct region.
    Official ping restricted servers would be nice, too, but I'd settle for having rental servers with ping restrictions.

For rental servers, not having options to region and/or ping lock my own personal server that I'm paying for should be criminal.
    It's exactly why neither myself nor the people I play with have rented a server since mid-BF3.
    Our group always had our own server in BF3, until we got tired of either having a horrible experience playing with lag-monsters or spending more time managing the player list, kicking laggers, than actually playing.
    (We only rarely set the server to private, when we had enough players and didn't care about not earning xp.)
    You want me to pay for my own server but not have any control over the quality of the experience?
    Ha, no thanks.

In the mean time, the poor hit detection/"netcode" performance is becoming more common in this game - just like it did in previous games as the player base expanded.
    BF1 is certainly much better than 3 or 4 ever was, but sometimes it seems like this game just does a better job of disguising the laggy BS instead of eliminating it (it was so common in 3 & 4 to have the overall server performance just degrade to the point of being unplayable, and that doesn't happen anymore, but there are still plenty of isolated shenanigans).
    It's becoming more and more common to experience no question, dead-on-target shots that get no hit markers (saw a lot of it in the server I played in last night).
    In this game vs. 3 & 4, the main improvement seems to be that these kinds of issues seem to affect individual encounters rather than the entire server performance - good change, but still plenty of room for improvement.

Anyway, your comments give me great hope for the future of server performance in this game.
    I just hope that when you say you would "make the game not appealing for higher pings", you mean it and will carry through on that.

BTW - ping indicators, whether #ms or bar graphs, should be prominently displayed in the scoreboard of every server.
    Many if not most other mp games have this and when DICE doesn't include it, it seems like they're purposely hiding the disparity in latencies which causes so many problems.
    Destiny - whose PVP lag was almost as horrendous as BF3/4 - even had an option to report players with poor connections. (Imagine that!)

edit to add: From a cynical, EA money-making point of view, having official servers be unrestricted only and then offering rental servers with ping and/or region locks as the main selling point would surely sell a heck of a lot of server rentals.
  • diagoro
    1593 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Cactus757 wrote: »
    I guess the right direction is really having a bunch of servers region/ping locked and the others should be open and labelled as 'International' or so.

Yes. Please do this. It directly addresses the problem and will allow everyone the right options to experience quality game play. Also, I think the ping limit is more important than region lock. Without the ping limit you will still have people lagging their own connections for advantage like in the old COD days. Ping limit fixes the wannabe cheaters as well. Thanks.

I'm wondering if it's the distant connection that makes a player have ping issues, or their connection.

My though was, using a ping restriction would allow players from all regions to compete equally, as long as they meet a servers cap requirement. Otherwise, a simple region lock doesn't really assure any performance level, as players within that region can still lag a server with a weak connection.
  • bmillsy513
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    Was in US East conquest server, and I live in Ohio. Was a bout 10 feet away with an A10, and barely scratched the guy. Top of reticle was his face, bottom was the chest.

Problem is, I have no clue what his ping was. Battlefront eventually added ping bars to their games scoreboard, so why hasnt this one? I have a hard time believing it was left out because there wasnt enough time to add it yet, or they just forgot to, or care less about it.

Side note, of all the MP games I play right now between this, Overwatch, and FIFA 17 online, this is by far the worst one connection & hit detection wise. If I complained, I probably would be told its my end somehow. But FFS how can Overwatch play way way better online? And FIFA too?!?!?! rant over for now
  • iSpyRecon
    770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    What happened to "high ping on your local isn't a problem"?(cough) lol Happy too see they disagree 'again' and will attempt address it... then again, we had been told the very same thing in BF4. My $0.02 is for a reasonable ping limiter and NOT a region lock.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    iSpyRecon wrote: »
    What happened to "high ping on your local isn't a problem"?(cough) lol Happy too see they disagree 'again' and will attempt address it... then again, we had been told the very same thing in BF4. My $0.02 is for a reasonable ping limiter and NOT a region lock.

@iSpyRecon
    lol I remember you from the "lag advantage" battles in the BF4 forums (as an ally).
    Isn't this thread amazing considering the utter silence on the matter for so long?
    And I wish I could send a link to this thread to the trolls who claimed that their awful connections had no impact on anyone else's games.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017

More misquotes. Stated it wasn't an advantage. Please quote me right.

Also what I saw there are still many bugs that need to be addressed an more need to understand the netgraph.

Thanks to @KingTolapsium and @mischkag for explaining the extr offset value on netgraph.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

More misquotes. Stated it wasn't an advantage. Please quote me right.

Also what I saw there are still many bugs that need to be addressed an more need to understand the netgraph.

Thanks to @KingTolapsium and @mischkag for explaining the extr offset value on netgraph.

Naaah.. Im on Mr spyguy's side on this one.
    It cant be a misquote. Since you have said "that high ping is not an issue" in about every way its possible to say it!

although your agenda behind saying it was clearly to troll. But it is still not a misquote!

Can we please write honest stuff in this thread. And stay away from the word and statements twisting troll bating!

• KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    lizzard wrote: »

Can we please write honest stuff in this thread. And stay away from the word and statements twisting troll bating!

Seriously?

You say that, while antagonistically calling vball a troll.

How about we speak without condescendingly dismissing everything the other says.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Seriously?

You say that, while antagonistically calling vball a troll.

How about we speak without condescendingly dismissing everything the other says.

Sounds perfect!

But dont argue about the truth in what I wrote.

I have kept my self from biting the baits. But that one was simply to juicy to resist..

To @mischkag.

Would it be easy to make the servers reject hits from 150ms > players?

That way no one would benefit from the peakers advantage.
    And it should in theory, make the hit behind corners disappear.

Atleast as an option until some form of pinglimit or other solution is in effect.

Would be nice if there was a netgraph tutorial available.
    That explains what the different values means. And how they affect the gameplay and the server.

As a side note.
    Does the suppression, effect the aim mechanics?
    Feels like im being suppressed sometimes, without the visual effects. And no one's fireing at me..
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    @lizzard I am arguing with your opinion of who is a troll. That's not "bait".... you just don't agree.

You guys argue because you speak in absolutes.

There is hardly anything in this title that we can speak about with perfect accuracy, especially when we are representing our OPINIONS of the netcode.
  • oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Theres always gonna be players who don't want to loose the advantage there high latency gives them, the same players who download torrents and stream netflix while playing to increase there latency to gain the advantage, if the netcode does get fixed there will be complaints from this group of players who have lost there crutch.
    Exactly this happened with cod mw3 low latency players complained about the netcode and the advantage high latency players had, the netcode was fixed the game ran flawless for low latency connections the high latency players lost there advantage, the high latency players were even more vocal and outraged about losing there advantage and the fact the game didn't run as smoothly for them on there high ping , high jitter and packet loss connections, the netcode was reverted back after 2 weeks so the game ran like crap again for low latency players and high latency players got there advantage back. The low latency players started to complain again but weren't as vocal so the game was left with the broken netcode for the rest of its lifespan.
    I can see the exact same thing happening here.
  • lizzard
    @lizzard I am arguing with your opinion of who is a troll. That's not "bait".... you just don't agree.

There is hardly anything in this title that we can speak about with perfect accuracy, especially when we are representing our OPINIONS of the netcode.

Wasn't your post I referred to as bait....

It was that wball tryed to give a shine about being "misquoted"
    Made me laugh!
  • KingTolapsium

Made me laugh!

That's what I was referring to.

You can't call him out, and ask for civil discussion in the same post, it's hypocritical.
  • denjoga
    Ok, don't litter a good thread with bickering over bickering, please.
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    denjoga wrote: »
    Ok, don't litter a good thread with bickering over bickering, please.

Please. We dont need this thread closed..

I seem to get the SEVERE Server performance icon alot lately.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Made me laugh!

That's what I was referring to.

You can't call him out, and ask for civil discussion in the same post, it's hypocritical.

It's ok, I'm not gonna fall bite their bait. They know they are twisting my words and if they really read mischkag's post instead of scanning for certain words they will see there are many issues that are being worked on and a lot of variables that are causing issues.

Your video of extra offset is a great example of this and has also made me and others set yet another variable out there (besides srvtick, packetloss, latency) to keep an eye on.