Hit Detection

Comments

• BIGDADDYSXY
    125 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Shoot! I'm happy someone replied! I'm sure they are honestly working on things but in my opinion, this game should NOT have been released with this many problems. All this stuff should have been fixed before release. Because at this point it's gonna take another year to fix all the problems.
    I'm sure it's not as easy as just throwing some codes in and in a few hours problems are fixed.
    Because EA and Dice have both got there money and the only, THE ONLY people that are getting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is the gamers!
    But I do enjoy the game and I have fun playing it but it seems to be getting worse before it's getting better.
    I mean it was advertised as a HDR game and I have yet to hear anything about HDR! That's kinda ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if you ask me. We atleast want a time line on when it's coming. A for sure date! Not a we are working on it date. It was supposed to be released at launch. I mean the game came with a Xbox 1S.
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    denjoga wrote: »
    iSpyRecon wrote: »
    What happened to "high ping on your local isn't a problem"?(cough) lol Happy too see they disagree 'again' and will attempt address it... then again, we had been told the very same thing in BF4. My $0.02 is for a reasonable ping limiter and NOT a region lock.

@iSpyRecon
    lol I remember you from the "lag advantage" battles in the BF4 forums (as an ally).
    Isn't this thread amazing considering the utter silence on the matter for so long?
    And I wish I could send a link to this thread to the trolls who claimed that their awful connections had no impact on anyone else's games.

Couldnt agree more. High ping wasnt an issue and leas shots more bla bla and was all our internet. Funny is now we all misunderstood them and when we quote them its bating. Lmao.
  • oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    lol thats a good avatar
  • mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer DICE
    Of course I could reject any hit with ping >150ms. But then you cannot let players get into the game with 150 ms ping to begin with. So instead of doing that, we need to prevent high ping players on servers to begin with. Sure I'd like to make it harder to play in the mean time, but general hit rejection would kinda mean you are allowed to join a match as cannon food with a water gun :)
  • mischkag
    To be honest, we had plenty of internal playtests with 32 players from europe and 32 from US close to the server location. If we would have seen the issues you are talking about, we would have fixed it beforehand. I guess we underestimated with how ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ networking conditions people play and how well the high ping in the game works. We are running the live service and Premium here at Dice LA. We care a lot and try to fix the issues and listen to the community. Some issues will have been fixed with the upcoming patch.
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Maybe give rental servers a max ping setting option and high pingers still have acces to official EA DICE servers so you wont get conflicts with Sony and MS because people still have acces to gameservers therefore still everybody can play. Just my opinion offcourse.
  • mischkag
    I agree. That would be a good way of dealing with this.
  • oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I can play on the us east servers from the uk and remain under <90ms, you should have got players to stream netflix and download the internet while playing on a 3g connection when conducting your play tests as that seems how most players play this game.
  • mischkag
    We play on US West, ping is about 200ms. Well i can try to bring up your suggestion and ask our developers to watch netflix all day while playing the game :)
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    mischkag wrote: »
    We play on US West, ping is about 200ms. Well i can try to bring up your suggestion and ask our developers to watch netflix all day while playing the game :)

Full hd! No 720p cheating!! ;)

With the base ps4 using a cellphone (over wifi)* nearby caused a lot of network jitter when over wifi, maybe try that too.

I bet that issue is pretty common unfortunately.
    Post edited by KingTolapsium on
  • diagoro
    1592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Have a player with a lossy connection join from Asia.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017

With the base ps4 using a cellphone nearby caused a lot of network jitter when over wifi, maybe try that too.

Jitter is a big killer IMO. Especially if it's so bad that packets start coming out if order. Stressing the server in those conditions.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

With the base ps4 using a cellphone nearby caused a lot of network jitter when over wifi, maybe try that too.

Jitter is a big killer IMO. Especially if it's so bad that packets start coming out if order. Stressing the server in those conditions.

The terrible WiFi built into the base ps4 always gave me a lot of jitter, especially with another wifi signal passing through the ps4.

Fortunately I have never been stuck on wifi for an extended period.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Of course I could reject any hit with ping >150ms. But then you cannot let players get into the game with 150 ms ping to begin with. So instead of doing that, we need to prevent high ping players on servers to begin with. Sure I'd like to make it harder to play in the mean time, but general hit rejection would kinda mean you are allowed to join a match as cannon food with a water gun :)

Yes. That is kind of the experience they deserve!
    Then they may play in there own region!

And the guys that have the crazy fluctuating ping, would not be able to affect the gameplay in a bad way.

I mean there have to be a limit somewhere.
    Player A 150ms> Server > player B 150ms = A difference of 300ms + servertick 30ms.

That gives the two players a peakers advantage of 330ms against each other. Back and fourth.
    And if you start to see someone close to half a second after they have seen you. It's going to create a lots of wtf moments..

Then add the unpredictable aimassist on to this, which gives the peakers another advantage. Not only do you see the peaker late, but he have already had the aimassist hock on to you..

I mean me and AL of my friends. Swedish, German, English. Can play on east USA and have around 100ms. And west USA around 140-180ms.

Even if I make a test. And connect to Internet with ps4, By WiFi hot-spot from my cellphone.
    I still ping around 110ms! The game runs exactly like on my 100mb fiber line.
    No noticeable issues. Maybe some minor rubberbanding once in a while, but nothing gamebraking..

Its like "Okey.... Wtf.... How is it possible to have a worse connection than a f...ing cellphone!"
    Are those guys WiFi sharing a entire household from a cellphone. And trying to play at the same time!?

What experience can a player demand, on that kind of connection?

• mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

The terrible WiFi built into the base ps4 always gave me a lot of jitter, especially with another wifi signal passing through the ps4.

Fortunately I have never been stuck on wifi for an extended period.

I have tested out a few different types of connections from 3 different ISP's and using wired to wifi, wireless hub, and even tethered to a cell phone. Every single type of connection yielded approximately the same download/upload speeds. The major difference was when wireless. While wireless, the chances of interference where greater, and shown on the netgraph. Gameplay was the same. Only time there were issues, the graph showed it, and were confirmed in party chat with others. There was no "advantage" and the other's games ran fine for them while I had the issues. Which makes complete sense when understanding how the FHT works. :neutral:
  • MARAUDER71
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The fact that the game simply runs too well for high pingers, encourages players to join explicitly out of region. Next on my list is to address that. I will make it much harder to hit something for high pingers, i wont artificially induce Rubberbanding or movement hurdles though. I think it should be harder to hit somebody, that is what the game ultimately boils down to. Seeing your strong feedback encourages me to explore options to make it much harder for high ping players. Once they feel like they suck with higher ping, the problem will solve itself. I still like to push the necessity to region lock servers. It is an ongoing discussion and I personally believe it is getting traction.

Holy wall of text batman. :wink:

I can understand why movement hurdles and induced rubber banding are not things you want to implement (would probably feel terrible).

Are you considering something similar to bf4? High ping have to lead shots more than normal? (That didn't feel too awful, it was learn-able compromise)
    As far as the character model comment above goes, i dont quite understand that. There is no desync. How do you know what the high ping client is actually doing? Plz dont judge from the spectator view which is artificially put behind by 500ms.

I'm not viewing from spectator (I understand the offset), the reason I assume there is an issue with desync, is I have been killed multiple times by players appearing around a corner (like multiple steps instantly) and dying from that player immediately, like one frame per bullet. (This could be an issue with the high frequency bubble (I think I brought that up already), it has a similar visual pop in to other issues I've seen with friendly players in my high frequency bubble).

I know I can abuse the peakers advantage myself with latency over ~200ms, I have been assuming the irregularity I see from dying in these situations is the receiving end of the peaking advantage. I'll be the first to admit this is purely an assumption.

It just doesn't feel right, maybe it's something completely different. I know I've recorded it happening, I'll make sure to highlight the problem I see in video form.

I trust you will do what you can to fix the issues with players delivering damage ahead of their visible player model. Sounds like netcode things are moving in a very positive direction.

Yes... Sneak around a cliff, enemy not even looking at you,, 110 degrees away from looking at you.. Start shooting at him.. Bang you're dead,, then in the kill cam, he's all of a sudden facing you
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    MARAUDER71 wrote: »

...Sneak around a cliff, enemy not even looking at you,, 110 degrees away from looking at you.. Start shooting at him.. Bang you're dead,, then in the kill cam, he's all of a sudden facing you

Or, halfway across the map already(on the killcam). SMH
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    stuwooster wrote: »
    Again, i say as a trial, could you not have 5-10% of servers in each region ping locked to <100ms and see how it goes, i suspect those servers would always be at max capacity.

Good suggestion, but would Dice comply?

• KingTolapsium
    @redraptor987

Hardcore doesn't fix desync issues.... or server performance issues.

All it does is make bratty teammates more annoying, as now they are lethal, and boost snipers to god status.

What does that fix, Mr Raptor?