Hit Detection

Comments

• oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think some players have a hard understanding what the network icons on the right of screen mean, I propose replacing the ping warning icon with some simple text in the bottom right corner that says "God mode activated" to communicate better feedback to the player of what is happening.
  • Mosvalve
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    After having a better understanding of the Network graph in game...I've noticed some peculiarities. First of all, I have very good internet and a very good network setup. I'm not a network engineer but have an intermediate understanding of networks and their operation.

What I'm about to say may have already been addressed in this thread but I would like to share what I've experienced. I joined a US EAST server Normal mode. I was playing with everything going great, when low and behold some foreign named guy kills me, under what I thought were strange circumstances, i.e. I fired twelve shots he fired three, I was dead and he was running around with 90 health. Thiss happened quite a few more times with some other players but not all.

That's when I decided to enable the Network Graph to see what I could see. I noticed that when I was killed "unfairly" I noticed a major spike in extra offset. This either happened immediately after they killed me or shortly thereafter. All other graphs seemed to be in the normal range. I would like to say these spikes only happened during the "weirdness". I'll try to post some videos...

• VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mosvalve wrote: »
    After having a better understanding of the Network graph in game...I've noticed some peculiarities. First of all, I have very good internet and a very good network setup. I'm not a network engineer but have an intermediate understanding of networks and their operation.

What I'm about to say may have already been addressed in this thread but I would like to share what I've experienced. I joined a US EAST server Normal mode. I was playing with everything going great, when low and behold some foreign named guy kills me, under what I thought were strange circumstances, i.e. I fired twelve shots he fired three, I was dead and he was running around with 90 health. Thiss happened quite a few more times with some other players but not all.

That's when I decided to enable the Network Graph to see what I could see. I noticed that when I was killed "unfairly" I noticed a major spike in extra offset. This either happened immediately after they killed me or shortly thereafter. All other graphs seemed to be in the normal range. I would like to say these spikes only happened during the "weirdness". I'll try to post some videos...

Most likely jitter. Things like jitter, high SrvTck values, and high forward offsets are signs of bad issues. These are mostly due to network or hardware issues from your end or ISP.
  • oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Isn't the extra offset the amount of the latency compensation the game adds to your connection?.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

Most likely jitter. Things like jitter, high SrvTck values, and high forward offsets are signs of bad issues. These are mostly due to network or hardware issues from your end or ISP.

It could be an extrapolation offset bug (similar to the one I found).
  • Mosvalve

I would tend to disagree with you considering I test those things on a regular basis. I also work hard to keep my ISP honest. Believe me ask my wife and kids...I'm the internet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at home! Lol. Besides SrvTck rate is well within range it only happens when specific people kill me. That would suggest that those players are high ping players. My ping to the server is nearly always around 30 ms which I think is pretty good all other graphs are also nominal and steady, seemingly within their proper ranges.

List of graphs Averages

SrvTick 15.6
    Latency 23.2
    Network Vrtn 0.9
    Pkt loss 0.0
    Xtr offset 24.4
    Down str 111.3
  • Mosvalve
    @KingTolapsium I would like to know more about this. Can you elaborate or provide a link.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I would tend to disagree with you considering I test those things on a regular basis. I also work hard to keep my ISP honest. Believe me ask my wife and kids...I'm the internet **** at home! Lol. Besides SrvTck rate is well within range it only happens when specific people kill me. That would suggest that those players are high ping players. My ping to the server is nearly always around 30 ms which I think is pretty good all other graphs are also nominal and steady, seemingly within their proper ranges.

List of graphs Averages

SrvTick 15.6
    Latency 23.2
    Network Vrtn 0.9
    Pkt loss 0.0
    Xtr offset 24.4
    Down str 111.3

Actually it wouldn't mean that high ping players are killing you. Since you communicate to the server and not to the enemy you wouldn't see a change in values by whoever killed you. Besides there are deaths going on all the time and said suspect wouldn't only kill you, so if that was the case you should see this flux whenever the suspect kills anyone.

I don't know how you have tested your jitter but don't forget that your test is only a snippet of reality. If the network test is in your ISPs network it will be only half the truth. The hard part is testing jitter to an actual BF1 server, that is the most accurate test since you are using the same route as if you played the game.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    KingTolapsium I would like to know more about this. Can you elaborate or provide a link.

Pretty self explanatory.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    What is server tick?
    Mine's usually around 12 or so.
    The only time I see my ext offset go up is when I'm in the spawn menu, which I assume is by design.
    My latency and packet loss are always low.
  • Mosvalve
    Didn't I see an offset spike right at the point where you died at the end of the video. Actually there were two...one when you encountered the teleporting guy and another when you went to respawn?

Anyway that's exactly what I'm talking about.
  • VBALL_MVP
    edited January 2017
    denjoga wrote: »
    What is server tick?
    The only time I see my ext offset go up is when I'm in the spawn menu, which I assume is by design.

Sr Tick is the actual time it takes the server to process data. On a 30hz server you have 33ms between ticks, but in reality you have much less (server has to do other stuff during that time as well). The higher it is the harder it is for the server to keep up, so if you have a value in the 20ms you will get some weird things like poor hit reg and kills and round the corner because the server couldn't process the data and had to be submitted with the next tick.

The lower the SrvTick, the healthier the server is.
    Post edited by VBALL_MVP on
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Didn't I see an offset spike right at the point where you died at the end of the video. Actually there were two...one when you encountered the teleporting guy and another when you went to respawn?

That spike is always there when you die or are in the big map.

A spike can also indicate fps drops.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    What is server tick?

Sr Tick is the actual time it takes the server to process data. On a 30hz server you have 33ms between ticks, but in reality you have much less (server has to do other stuff during that time as well). The higher it is the harder it is for the server to keep up, so if you have a value in the 20s you will get some weird things like poor hit reg and kills and round the corner because the server couldn't process the data and had to be submitted with the next tick.

TYVM!
    So, is elevated server tick strictly a server problem or could it be something on my end?
  • VBALL_MVP
    What is server tick?

Sr Tick is the actual time it takes the server to process data. On a 30hz server you have 33ms between ticks, but in reality you have much less (server has to do other stuff during that time as well). The higher it is the harder it is for the server to keep up, so if you have a value in the 20s you will get some weird things like poor hit reg and kills and round the corner because the server couldn't process the data and had to be submitted with the next tick.

TYVM!
    So, is elevated server tick strictly a server problem or could it be something on my end?

As far as I know and researched it's a server thing. Best thing to do is find another server.
  • Mosvalve
    lizzard wrote: »

There is no apparent FPS drop in the posted video. Specifically the first spike. The second spike I'll give to you. Not the first.
  • KingTolapsium
    edited January 2017
    lizzard wrote: »

There is no apparent FPS drop in the posted video. Specifically the first spike. The second spike I'll give to you. Not the first.

Well ps4 records 60fps gameplay at 30fps, goodluck spotting the framedrops, that have been digitally eliminated.

Unless this is something special, ps4 gameplay is at 30. What I posted, was at 30.