Hit Detection

Comments

• Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    I've got a video of really bad hit detection with melee while enemy is on AA gun.. the enemy was stabbed like 5 times with no effect, then shot several times at close range (point blank) to no avail.
    I'll probably upload it tomorrow if I can be bothered..

[video

Dude was a "Sentry".
    The Sentry carries the heaviest body armor of all elite classes, providing damage reduction against all firearms, and complete protection from melee weapon hits.

Once you get there health down pretty low you can then melee them.

That explains it then.
    Thanks (not sure why a sentry is concerned with shooting down aircraft, but whatever..lol)
  • QliMaXMiTo
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    QliMaXMiTo wrote: »
    I don't think you actually got killed through the wall.

Edit: re-upload because the language filter didn't like a combination of 2 letters in the old URL...

Thanks for uploading this split screen. Was this a reenactment or were you the original person who meleed me?

I don't play on console, so that could not have been me.
    I knew from experience what happened in your video so it was easier for me to just grab a friend and demonstrate it rather than fumbling with words and then have people take my word for it.
  • Capt_ArkAngel
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    First of all we do not refuse to fix it at all. We focused quite a lot on making it very responsive for low ping players. High ping players have quite a hard time to actually hit somebody, have you ever played with 300+ms ping? We need to allow high ping players to still have a decent experience, but clearly favor the low pingers in many ways. Yes we gonna try to improve the perceived lagginess, particularly for the high pingers inside the low pingers clients. I understand the frustration, but its simply not true that we do not listen or purposely punish players or ignore the issues. Its just a very delicate balance, but again, we are actively looking into it and hope to improve it.

You listen to your wallet, not your customers. This is a FPS. BF2 was fine as the netcode is concerned... To try to give a decent experience for people having a ping over 120 ms is simply foolish and prove how greedy people can become... I know what I'm talking about.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    kniphtee wrote: »
    denjoga wrote: »
    digga11 wrote: »
    Low ping smoothing factor should be in there! Go test!!

This is not aimed at you but we are constantly been told there is no issue with low ping so why would it need smoothing if there is no issue.?

It increases the delay in what you are presented to create smoother visuals.

Sometimes the raw immediate data from the server is jittery/jerky, this change allows low ping to remove some of that (accurate) inconsistency.

Hope that makes sense.
    So how will that affect hit reg and/or perception thereof? (incoming and outgoing)

This is not aimed at you but we are constantly been told there is no issue with low ping so why would it need smoothing if there is no issue.?

Sometimes the raw immediate data from the server is jittery/jerky, this change allows low ping to remove some of that (accurate) inconsistency.

Hope that makes sense.

By effectively making our ping higher In a round about way.

You take an increase in effective latency (as I understand it), but gain more predictable enemy movement.

So getting the supped up modem, router, package from our friends at Time Warner...Spectrum was a waste since my ping was in the 40-50 range but would have spikes from time to time however now I run at a crisp 25 or less and my experience is worse? Something here makes sense but should not and something here does not make sense but exists. When is the ping raiser going into effect on xbone? That's when i'll check back in...going to go play on the CTE where it's not all supposed to make sense or be right or whatever - so I don't get frustrated for routinely watching bullets wiz through people and don't get hit markers. For a while it seemed the low ping was great and then the last few updates take a top 5 player and make him tier 2 or 3 (or worse) and I haven't found a correction through settings or consistent aiming methods - anymore it's just easier and safer to use auto weapons with large magazines - at least some of them should hit, right?

You have more accurate gameplay, with a lower ping. Less time to smooth.

You have smoother gameplay with higher ping. More time to smooth.

It's literally just that simple, and it makes perfect sense, I feel your misinterpretation is adding to your frustrating. It does not benefit us to make sweeping assumptions.

The network smoothing will be in the next patch, and is live on the cte. Go test it, stop with the knee jerk assumptions.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    When is the auto-rotation aimassist being tested in the CTE?
    Wasn't it up for testing on pc cte?
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    lizzard wrote: »

It was part of the active testing phase (prototyping? Idk how they refer to these), so once they are done doing stability testing for the upcoming patch, and switch back to active testing/prototyping it will be live for cte.

The first pass reduced the auto-rotation by 67% vs retail.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

It was part of the active testing phase (prototyping? Idk how they refer to these), so once they are done doing stability testing for the upcoming patch, and switch back to active testing/prototyping it will be live for cte.

Ahh thanks for the info.

I haven't really been keeping up with the news about future test's or patches.
    (Have mainly played r6s, and haven't touched bf1 for a month or so)

What response / judgment, did the 67% decrease get from the comunity?
  • kniphtee
    244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    kniphtee wrote: »
    denjoga wrote: »

Hope that makes sense.
    So how will that affect hit reg and/or perception thereof? (incoming and outgoing)

Hope that makes sense.

By effectively making our ping higher In a round about way.

You take an increase in effective latency (as I understand it), but gain more predictable enemy movement.

So getting the supped up modem, router, package from our friends at Time Warner...Spectrum was a waste since my ping was in the 40-50 range but would have spikes from time to time however now I run at a crisp 25 or less and my experience is worse? Something here makes sense but should not and something here does not make sense but exists. When is the ping raiser going into effect on xbone? That's when i'll check back in...going to go play on the CTE where it's not all supposed to make sense or be right or whatever - so I don't get frustrated for routinely watching bullets wiz through people and don't get hit markers. For a while it seemed the low ping was great and then the last few updates take a top 5 player and make him tier 2 or 3 (or worse) and I haven't found a correction through settings or consistent aiming methods - anymore it's just easier and safer to use auto weapons with large magazines - at least some of them should hit, right?

You have more accurate gameplay, with a lower ping. Less time to smooth.

You have smoother gameplay with higher ping. More time to smooth.

It's literally just that simple, and it makes perfect sense, I feel your misinterpretation is adding to your frustrating. It does not benefit us to make sweeping assumptions.

The network smoothing will be in the next patch, and is live on the cte. Go test it, stop with the knee jerk assumptions.

Downloaded cte yesterday and wanted to put an hour or two on the std version tonight and then try cte...I have little understanding in most of the cyber issues (engineering, metals, hydraulics, pneumatics I more my gig) are quite Greek to me, I play one day at 25 ping or less and have great experience, play another day same ping and the whole game feels off and so if I find I am out of things that I can fix on my side I ask questions. Thank you for the simple explanation and that they are addressing it. At least knowing it is on their list takes some of the frustration out of it...you know one map going 8-17 and then on another server going 5-11 then play on yet another and it feels crisp and snappy going 29-8 followed by 32-5; had to jump off to get the kids ready for bed and then back to 8-11 - leaves me scratching my head.
  • PhilCliff
    114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited August 2017
    What do you think of this one? My ping was 31-50

Took me by surprise so I just sprayed. Thought it was worthy of more than 22 damage though lol

• KingTolapsium

Ahh thanks for the info.

General consensus is its not enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's even weaker with the next test.
  • lizzard

Ahh thanks for the info.

General consensus is its not enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's even weaker with the next test.

Let's hope so.
  • 68Keif
    4628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just stahp
  • cRzYsLydOg
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    There has been a topic on this ever since BF4 where they turned aim assist into some crazy aim bot. It is impossible to play again people in any close quarter map with the aim assist since BF4.

The biggest issue I noticed with aim assist off is that hit detection is off. Actual hit detection versus actual lag. With aim assist on, I'd say about 40% more of the bullet register versus without. I seriously got tired of losing all the close quarter battles that I turned it on.

Turned it off again after reading this post, but I refuse to have to look for servers without AA because there is hardly anyone playing those servers.

Whatever though. I did just as well with it off now then I did with it off before. I am not ruined, just making sure that I don't let the crap get to me. So this is my way of dealing with this crap because it will never change.

If BF5 has the BF3 AA, I will turn it back off. Until, I don't mind becoming one of the handicapped for a while.
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Would love to see some actual hard data to support the claim above regarding hit detection and aim assist. Should be pretty easy to do in an empty server with a friend either in CTE or the retail version of the game.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    cRzYsLydOg wrote: »
    There has been a topic on this ever since BF4 where they turned aim assist into some crazy aim bot. It is impossible to play again people in any close quarter map with the aim assist since BF4.

The biggest issue I noticed with aim assist off is that hit detection is off. Actual hit detection versus actual lag. With aim assist on, I'd say about 40% more of the bullet register versus without. I seriously got tired of losing all the close quarter battles that I turned it on.

Turned it off again after reading this post, but I refuse to have to look for servers without AA because there is hardly anyone playing those servers.

Whatever though. I did just as well with it off now then I did with it off before. I am not ruined, just making sure that I don't let the crap get to me. So this is my way of dealing with this crap because it will never change.

If BF5 has the BF3 AA, I will turn it back off. Until, I don't mind becoming one of the handicapped for a while.

I highly doubt that AA, is making hit registration better. It's more like it's making you more accurate than anything.
  • XXxx_ABH_xxXX
    573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hit registration seems terribly off lately for me. Very inconsistent. High pingers create very extrange situations and look like servers run sloppy as hell. I dont know but the game and online experience seems to have been degrading. Im in PSN and have solid 45 ping conection...

And Aim Assist. I have tried it and turned it on for a match. Disgusting feeling. All the control goes away. Had to turn it off again mid match. Aim Assist is to powerfull in BF1.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hit registration seems terribly off lately for me. Very inconsistent. High pingers create very extrange situations and look like servers run sloppy as hell. I dont know but the game and online experience seems to have been degrading. Im in PSN and have solid 45 ping conection...

And Aim Assist. I have tried it and turned it on for a match. Disgusting feeling. All the control goes away. Had to turn it off again mid match. Aim Assist is to powerfull in BF1.

I have something to add concerning aim assist and wonder does anybody else experience this.
    I turn aim assist off in the menu but it will turn back on. I'll start bf1 after a couple of days and start playing and notice my gun pulling towards an enemy, so I have to go into the menu settings and shut it off again. Also while playing and in ads I'll see and feel my aim track the enemy like its aim assist, but when I go to settings aim assist is off.Wtf?
  • lizzard

I have something to add concerning aim assist and wonder does anybody else experience this.
    I turn aim assist off in the menu but it will turn back on. I'll start bf1 after a couple of days and start playing and notice my gun pulling towards an enemy, so I have to go into the menu settings and shut it off again. Also while playing and in ads I'll see and feel my aim track the enemy like its aim assist, but when I go to settings aim assist is off.Wtf?

In bf4 I had the aimassist pulling my aim often, even though it was turned off.

Haven't had the aimassist turning on by itself in bf1.

And I experience the opposite of aimassist in bf1.
    Often it feels like the game is pushing my aim away from enemies.

I'm hoping for cod and insurgency to be good games. Until then I'll play rainbow six. Its a lag fest.. But atleast its fun gameplay!
  • jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    @misisipiRivrRat

Are you guys turning off only auto-rotation or also slowdown? Slowdown is what pulls your aim off to other enemies, not auto-rotation (the latter is only the snap-to target function).

Along with @mmarkweII I'd also be interested in some testing of aim assist and hit detection issues as others mention above. I have done extensive testing with it on and off and haven't noticed any difference in hit detection, but I wasn't specifically testing whether hit detection is "better" or "worse" with AA on or off. (Maybe @KingTolapsium has done these sort of tests, though.) I'm locked out of CTE currently but look forward to getting in with the next opening so I can put the game through its paces, especially the new changes such as prevention of damage and suppression stacking from high-pingers and the network smoothing. Has anyone tested the "fix to prevent late damage effects from lossy high ping connections" and if so how's that functioning?
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    *baiting*
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on