Hit Detection

Comments

• FlopTrain
    506 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Not seeing where I said anything about anyone being wrong?

Why is someone so intent on trying to start an argument? Sheesh...

You were wrong this whole time when saying this wasn't a serious problem created by poor connections coupled with OoR play but we know now, it definitely is...

A grown up would admit it and move on. A troll would continue to antagonize and instigate arguments, for no reason at all...
  • Mosvalve
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Correct. Ideally it should be thirty.
  • Mosvalve
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    Mosvalve wrote: »
    If the servers tick rate is 16 it is essentially half of what it should be. Hence lag.
    If the servers tick rate is 16 it is essentially half of what it should be. Hence lag.

Wut? Half of what it should be?

What should it be then?

What I mean by lag is that the server is updating the clients at half the rate it should. If the server tick rate should be 30hz but is 16hz it's essentially halved.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    FlopTrain wrote: »
    Why is someone so intent in trying to start an argument? Sheesh...

You were wrong,..a grown up would admit it and move on. A troll would continue to antagonize and instigate arguments for no reason at all...

That's not a valid argument. I've brought actual facts to the table. Saying someone is oor based on a screen name is not. Again just cause I disagree with you doesn't make me a troll.

Again posted vids showing proof as well, not to mention people who spend hours doing this in a methodical way (like chris).

Go watch some of my vids. Show me where I was at a disadvantage against a server full of alleged OOR. Or explain why I was at a disadvantage in UK servers.
  • Mosvalve
    edited January 2017
    @VBALL_MVP look at this image. It is of a PC player and his network graph. Do you think there is lag in this game? His ping(latency) to the server is 101 ms and the tick rate is 60hz but the srv tick is 9.5... he is even getting latency warning icon.maxresdefault.jpg

Post edited by Mosvalve on
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    @VBALL_MVP look at this image. It is of a PC player and his network graph. Do you think there is lag in this game? His ping(latency) to the server is 101 ms and the tick rate is 60hz but the srv tick is 9.5...maxresdefault.jpg

SRVTICK is the time it takes for the server to process data. The lower it is the better since it means the server is processing data before a "Tick" (33ms for 30hz). So this is where I'm confused why you are saying 16ms is half of what it should be. If it was in the 30's it would mean that the server has a great opportunity to not finish processing data in a Tick amd it would carry over in the next Tick. This is what causes OHKs, dying around corners, and other wtf instames just like what lizzard was experiencing.

Edit: I'm referencing 30hz since that's console, for 60hz 16ms is a tick so need to be down in the single digits for a good experience. It's not a indicator of lag though, and in that instance I would say his SrvTick is in an ok range.
  • Mosvalve
    edited January 2017
    Edit: removed comment because I was wrong and you are right @VBALL_MVP my mistake. I was getting my values backwards ms vs hz. Sorry.
  • Mosvalve
    @VBALL_MVP look at this image. It is of a PC player and his network graph. Do you think there is lag in this game? His ping(latency) to the server is 101 ms and the tick rate is 60hz but the srv tick is 9.5...maxresdefault.jpg

SRVTICK is the time it takes for the server to process data. The lower it is the better since it means the server is processing data before a "Tick" (33ms for 30hz). So this is where I'm confused why you are saying 16ms is half of what it should be. If it was in the 30's it would mean that the server has a great opportunity to not finish processing data in a Tick amd it would carry over in the next Tick. This is what causes OHKs, dying around corners, and other wtf instames just like what lizzard was experiencing.

Edit: I'm referencing 30hz since that's console, for 60hz 16ms is a tick so need to be down in the single digits for a good experience. It's not a indicator of lag though, and in that instance I would say his SrvTick is in an ok range.

If the srv tick is high then it would be an indicator of lag.
  • Michael_Seaman
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It appears "hz" and "ms" are being confused on this thread. Can we at least agree they are not the same? Hz is a measurement of frequency, while ms is a measurement of time.
  • VBALL_MVP

If the srv tick is high then it would be an indicator of lag.

No it wouldnt, it would be an indicator of a degrading server.

• lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017

So when answering my post. You tryed to disprove what I wrote? Even when I actually agree with you!?

The questions and concerns about why the gameplay experience feels bad, when SrvTick goes up.
    Even though it is well inside the limits of what the tickrate is at 30hz.

That part you didn't even touch!
    Why so?

Since you now clearly, do go in to that topic...

Are you trying to have a serious discussion, or do you try to make people look stupid?

We already know package loss is bad. For everyone!

We know that Highpingers suffer from disadvantages and have advantages!

How does 20 players with a ping constantly fluctuating rapidly inside of a 500ms span.
    Affect the server?

And again.
    Why do both you and me, and a very ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ group of players.
    Feel that the responsiveness and the gameplay goes bad, when SrvTick goes up to 18-25ms?

25ms is still inside of the 33ms limit!

Can we focus on that part and try to not be condescending against people that asks questions.. Since that behavior wont make us go forward!

Edit/
    English is not my native language. So I apologize if im using words in some way, that may sound bad. Its not by mening.
  • VBALL_MVP
    lizzard wrote: »

So when answering my post. You tryed to disprove what I wrote? Even when I actually agree with you!?

The questions and concerns about why the gameplay experience feels bad, when SrvTick goes up.
    Even though it is well inside the limits of what the tickrate is at 30hz.

That part you didn't even touch!
    Why so?

Since you now clearly, do go in to that topic...

Are you trying to have a serious discussion, or do you try to make people look stupid?

We already know package loss is bad. For everyone!

We know that Highpingers suffer from disadvantages and have advantages!

How does 20 players with a ping constantly fluctuating rapidly inside of a 500ms span.
    Affect the server?

And again.
    Why do both you and me, and a very **** group of players.
    Feel that the responsiveness and the gameplay goes bad, when SrvTick goes up to 18-25ms?

25ms is still inside of the 33ms limit!

Can we focus on that part and try to not be condescending against people that asks questions.. Since that behavior wont make us go forward!

Edit/
    English is not my native language. So I apologize if im using words in some way, that may sound bad. Its not by mening.

Yes we are in agreement that higher SrvTick the worse the game is, I think we have been agreement of that since day 1. What we disagree on is what and how does it increase.

Packets out of order and packet loss will increase the load on the CPU, so will map size and number of players. But not high latency. And having high latency does not mean you will have packet loss or high jitter. These are the things I don't agree with because I know for a fact distance doesn't create packetloss, there are many things that cause it and everyone, EVERYONE, will have packetloss one time or another. It's how much and how long that makes a difference.
  • Mosvalve
    when the server the suffers we suffer in game weirdness. This video explains it perfectly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQ58I53mjk
  • VBALL_MVP
    when the server the suffers we suffer in game weirdness. This video explains it perfectly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQ58I53mjk

Yes but EVERYONE suffers since the server is underperforming for everyone. This is why there are still server reboots, but again this not lag, this is hardware performance issues.
  • Mosvalve
    edited January 2017
    It might not be put lag but more like output lag

Plus you've got to admit the video is pretty funny!
  • VBALL_MVP

I havent checked the video yet, I promise I will.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I havent checked the video yet, I promise I will.

It doesn't work for me.. Gets error only.
  • Mosvalve
    edited January 2017
  • lizzard

Lol!
  • Mosvalve
    lizzard wrote: »

Lol!

That's when the server can't keep up. We all loose!