Hit Detection

Comments

• Rev0verDrive
    6624 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @CurvedTax769796

Here's a basic walkthrough of what ping, latency and jitter are.
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/105245/ping-latency-jitter/p1

• LeonReed123
    82 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Some really good advice on here.

I would simplify by asking you to check the following when playing:

Try to connect via ethernet.

Are you getting any kind of warning icons whilst playing in region?

Before, during ( when killed maybe ) and after check your latency on the scoreboard. A very low latency is about 20 - 30, an average imo in the region of 60 - 80 or high over 100. You want low to average ( in theory ) but you want it to be consistent so check frequently and also at different times of the day if possible.

Now heres the kicker if your putting a check next to whats needed in the above and the games still playing broken ( as it is for a lot of us ) then in all honesty join the fix or refund club.

For me although the advice offered in other posts is top notch and may well help anything more than the above for me is not console friendly and should of been spotted pre-launch. Anyone walking into a shop to buy a console game and told they need to start port forwarding, changing router and dmz etc is going to say thanks but no thanks. Again I say Dice need to address this as the product is currently faulty.
  • CurvedTax769796
    145 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You people can't see this but everyone's help here puts a smile on my face when I read their helpful comments. Never much cared for going to school but I do like learning and I'm certainly learning. Thanks again everyone!
  • rock1obsta
    3751 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You people can't see this but everyone's help here puts a smile on my face when I read their helpful comments. Never much cared for going to school but I do like learning and I'm certainly learning. Thanks again everyone!

There's a few guys here who really know their stuff. If you have time, skim through the thread, & you'll find some pretty easy to understand breakdowns of these terms you see regarding internet interactivity and how it works in BF1.
  • CurvedTax769796
    edited November 2017
    Certainly seems like it and it's all very much appreciated. This week I'm in the Nashville TN area visiting my son and his family so I'll have the opportunity to play in a completely different area from where I live. Should give me something to compare gameplay from where I live and where he lives and hopefully eliminate or verify some of my issues
    Post edited by CurvedTax769796 on
  • CurvedTax769796
    Wow not only does it make sense it is extremely interesting and fascinating. It really explains a lot to help understand what actually takes place during game play. After reading this, If I'm correct, it explains to me when I get a message telling me my latency to the server is high and that I need to lead my shots more. Now I need to figure which direction to lead when facing a stationary target and I imagine, because of the time difference that is most likely minimal for something stationary. I'll just have to guess and hope I guess the right direction to lead. Totally amazing information and I really appreciate the time you took to explain it. Now that I have some understanding of the process involved it will be far less frustrating. Thanks again.
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Wow not only does it make sense it is extremely interesting and fascinating. It really explains a lot to help understand what actually takes place during game play. After reading this, If I'm correct, it explains to me when I get a message telling me my latency to the server is high and that I need to lead my shots more. Now I need to figure which direction to lead when facing a stationary target and I imagine, because of the time difference that is most likely minimal for something stationary. I'll just have to guess and hope I guess the right direction to lead. Totally amazing information and I really appreciate the time you took to explain it. Now that I have some understanding of the process involved it will be far less frustrating. Thanks again.

Knowledge is power and knowing is half the battle. :)
  • VBALL_MVP
    6170 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You don't have to lead a stationary target or one that is coming towards or away from you. Just the ones strafing.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6624 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Your welcome.

That's just the surface of it.

There's Also....
    • High Frequency Update (HFU)
    • Frame History Time (FHT)
    • High Ping Threshold
    • Full Server side hit reg
    • Client receive rates (FPS dependent)
    • and various other nuances

• CurvedTax769796
    Definitely going to look into and research this. The more knowledge and understanding how it all works is always beneficial
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Definitely going to look into and research this. The more knowledge and understanding how it all works is always beneficial

Be careful.. It may affect your hopes, about battlefield games ever going to be enjoyable on consoles.

Having a flawless gameplay experience in games like this, with so many different connection grades bundled up on one server.
    And with kind of a low performance hardware running the game.
    It feels like it's never going to be really enjoyable in the long run..

• VBALL_MVP
    6170 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    lizzard wrote: »

Be careful.. It may affect your hopes, about battlefield games ever going to be enjoyable on consoles.

Having a flawless gameplay experience in games like this, with so many different connection grades bundled up on one server.
    And with kind of a low performance hardware running the game.
    It feels like it's never going to be really enjoyable in the long run..

Don't listen to the negativity over there. Just do some research, make sure you have done everything at home to ensure your network performance. Talk to your ISP as well, let them know what you are trying to do...they sometimes will "tweak" your line if you are nice.

Record your gameplay so you can watch and review...sometimes it's hard to see what happened in the heat of the battle.

In the end just have fun...remember it's a game. Having a 3 KD won't land you that CEO position.
  • CurvedTax769796
    I have noticed a difference between playing where I live in the Northwest and where my son lives in the South. I don't worry to much about K/D as having an unlimited number of respawns prevents it from being an accurate indicator. When you know that you can respawn limitlessly you don't worry about dying except for when an x amount of kills is required in one life. Now if respawn was limited to a certain number per round, skills levels would be more accurately determined. Those conditions would most likely cause a drop in players unless matchmaking was set to match those with the same level allowing for advancement as your skills improved. Above all, as you stated, the most important thing is to have fun
  • VBALL_MVP
    I have noticed a difference between playing where I live in the Northwest and where my son lives in the South. I don't worry to much about K/D as having an unlimited number of respawns prevents it from being an accurate indicator. When you know that you can respawn limitlessly you don't worry about dying except for when an x amount of kills is required in one life. Now if respawn was limited to a certain number per round, skills levels would be more accurately determined. Those conditions would most likely cause a drop in players unless matchmaking was set to match those with the same level allowing for advancement as your skills improved. Above all, as you stated, the most important thing is to have fun

Yup. Having fun is the major part. Are there issues...sure. But I have logged over 200 hours of the game....absolutely got my money's worth.
  • CurvedTax769796
    And the nicest part, because of online play, I can enjoy participating with my son even though we live in different parts of the country. Just like when he was young and there were games you could play sitting next to each other.
  • LeonReed123
    82 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

This should help in some aspects, yet it could confuse or highlight other aspects that aren't technically issues.

Battlefields "netcode" is very complex, as it should be. Most of the complexity boils down to Projectile Physics and variant latencies amongst players. BF uses Projectile physics for all weapons, which by its nature requires a lower latency of all parties for quality "fair/balanced" game play. This need for low latency is do to the time delays inherent to projectiles with applied physics.

When a shot is fired physics are applied. velocity, gravity, drag coefficient. These physics shape the path of the projectile down range in the 3D world space (simulation). Only when game logic determines there was a collision is arbitration run on the client side. If a hit is determined by the client arbitration a hit claim is sent to the server for validation.

The server validates the hit by running its own arbitration on the travelled path of the fired projectile. To do this it must buffer into memory the entire game simulation from time the shot was fired (trigger time) up to the time of the supposed hit (collision).

The buffer usually consists of the time frame from triggertime to datagram receival time. The length of the buffer varies based on latency of the hit claim.

e.g.
    trigger time: 12:00:00:000
    receival time: 12:00:00:081
    Memory buffer length : 81ms

Once the memory is buffered the server simulates the shot and runs raycasts for collision.

The downside of projectile physics is the bullet travel time of the projectile. This BTT delay is a window of time that allows for more of the targets past (not known by the server at time of shot) inputs to be received and update the simulations game history.

An example of this is as follows.
    You have a 30ms ping which equates to a 15ms Update Travel Time.
    A UTT is how long it takes your data to reach the server one way and vice versa. Client -> server (15ms UTT), Server -> client (15ms UTT).

Your target John has a 200ms ping (100ms UTT). This means that every input command (WASD, jump, Fire etc) he enters takes 100ms to reach the server and update the simulation.

Every client sends its buffered input commands to the server every 16.66ms. Your's reach the the server 15ms later, yet John's takes 100ms.

You're in a 1 tick offset, while John is in a 6 tick offset.
    You're input is only 1 frame ahead of the servers simulation, while john is 6 frames ahead of the servers simulation.
    Your screens representation of John's position is based on what the server knows.
    So in this situation John's "real world" position (as seen on his screen) is 6 inputs/frames ahead of where you see him.

So now you take a shot. It takes that bullet 65ms to reach John on your client simulation. Your client determines a hit and sends a hit claim to the server. The server receives it, buffers simulation history and runs the arbitration. The server determines a miss. Why?

((65ms BTT + 15ms UTT) / 16.66) = 4.801920768307323

Four of John's old in route inputs were received by the server before your hit claim was received. These inputs updated his historical position in the servers simulation. Thus putting him in a different position than where you saw and shot.

Hitscan shot/hit reg arbitration is instantaneous, because the "bullet" collides instantly when the weapon is fired. When the user provides trigger input (fire button) the game logic (client side) immediately arbitrates the shot. The outcome of that arbitration is known client side before the frame is rendered at which point it sends a hit claim to the server for validation of the hit. The only major delay is the shooters update trave time (UTT) of the hit claim datagram.

The server would receive a 30ms shooters hit claim in 15ms. This isn't enough time for the target to get latent historical inputs registered before arbitration. Thus where you saw the player is what is arbitrated against.... A hit is ultimately the outcome.

edit for Clarification/Distinction: CoD, CSGO, Destiny, Seige are Hitscan based games. The above mention of HS is to highlight the differences and why hitreg isn't an issue in those games or others that use hitscan.

Hopefully this all makes sense. If anything needs to be clarified please don't hesitate to ask.

Some really good info there and really interesting.

You obviously have a really good understanding of these issues and hopefully can give me an answer/explanation in regards a few questions I have ( you seem really unbiased which is a breath of fresh air ).

When I play on a server ( 24 person ), have the lowest latency ( usually at least 25 - 30 under the average ) and am getting no warning icons will in your opinion people with much higher latency have a detrimental effect on my game? Not necessarily an advantage but will it create strangeness in my game. I have a lot of times when I get what people call one shot now this could be from an LMG etc am not just talking snipers head shots etc. Its basically as if I have been spoted they fire on me but I am only getting it shown on my screen right before I die so no chance to take cover move etc. Also with regards various latencies what would you say is an optimal latency gap from lowest on server to highest? If someones say 30 and theres a few players 125+ would you say it will be a difference that can cause problems?

• GyposEyelash
    61 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For anyone in the UK having problems and is using a Homehub, I turned off extended uPnP Security and this game has been playing great ever since.

I have had problems with this game and Battlefield 4 for ages, turning this off seems to have sorted my problems with both games.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    714 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

This should help in some aspects, yet it could confuse or highlight other aspects that aren't technically issues.

Battlefields "netcode" is very complex, as it should be. Most of the complexity boils down to Projectile Physics and variant latencies amongst players. BF uses Projectile physics for all weapons, which by its nature requires a lower latency of all parties for quality "fair/balanced" game play. This need for low latency is do to the time delays inherent to projectiles with applied physics.

When a shot is fired physics are applied. velocity, gravity, drag coefficient. These physics shape the path of the projectile down range in the 3D world space (simulation). Only when game logic determines there was a collision is arbitration run on the client side. If a hit is determined by the client arbitration a hit claim is sent to the server for validation.

The server validates the hit by running its own arbitration on the travelled path of the fired projectile. To do this it must buffer into memory the entire game simulation from time the shot was fired (trigger time) up to the time of the supposed hit (collision).

The buffer usually consists of the time frame from triggertime to datagram receival time. The length of the buffer varies based on latency of the hit claim.

e.g.

Once the memory is buffered the server simulates the shot and runs raycasts for collision.

The downside of projectile physics is the bullet travel time of the projectile. This BTT delay is a window of time that allows for more of the targets past (not known by the server at time of shot) inputs to be received and update the simulations game history.

A UTT is how long it takes your data to reach the server one way and vice versa. Client -> server (15ms UTT), Server -> client (15ms UTT).

Your target John has a 200ms ping (100ms UTT). This means that every input command (WASD, jump, Fire etc) he enters takes 100ms to reach the server and update the simulation.

Every client sends its buffered input commands to the server every 16.66ms. Your's reach the the server 15ms later, yet John's takes 100ms.

You're input is only 1 frame ahead of the servers simulation, while john is 6 frames ahead of the servers simulation.
    Your screens representation of John's position is based on what the server knows.
    So in this situation John's "real world" position (as seen on his screen) is 6 inputs/frames ahead of where you see him.

So now you take a shot. It takes that bullet 65ms to reach John on your client simulation. Your client determines a hit and sends a hit claim to the server. The server receives it, buffers simulation history and runs the arbitration. The server determines a miss. Why?

Four of John's old in route inputs were received by the server before your hit claim was received. These inputs updated his historical position in the servers simulation. Thus putting him in a different position than where you saw and shot.

Hitscan shot/hit reg arbitration is instantaneous, because the "bullet" collides instantly when the weapon is fired. When the user provides trigger input (fire button) the game logic (client side) immediately arbitrates the shot. The outcome of that arbitration is known client side before the frame is rendered at which point it sends a hit claim to the server for validation of the hit. The only major delay is the shooters update trave time (UTT) of the hit claim datagram.

The server would receive a 30ms shooters hit claim in 15ms. This isn't enough time for the target to get latent historical inputs registered before arbitration. Thus where you saw the player is what is arbitrated against.... A hit is ultimately the outcome.

edit for Clarification/Distinction: CoD, CSGO, Destiny, Seige are Hitscan based games. The above mention of HS is to highlight the differences and why hitreg isn't an issue in those games or others that use hitscan.

Hopefully this all makes sense. If anything needs to be clarified please don't hesitate to ask.

You obviously have a really good understanding of these issues and hopefully can give me an answer/explanation in regards a few questions I have ( you seem really unbiased which is a breath of fresh air ).

When I play on a server ( 24 person ), have the lowest latency ( usually at least 25 - 30 under the average ) and am getting no warning icons will in your opinion people with much higher latency have a detrimental effect on my game? Not necessarily an advantage but will it create strangeness in my game. I have a lot of times when I get what people call one shot now this could be from an LMG etc am not just talking snipers head shots etc. Its basically as if I have been spoted they fire on me but I am only getting it shown on my screen right before I die so no chance to take cover move etc. Also with regards various latencies what would you say is an optimal latency gap from lowest on server to highest? If someones say 30 and theres a few players 125+ would you say it will be a difference that can cause problems?

I hope you get a answer from him or someone knowledgeable. I've posed similar questions in this very thread only to get no response. In my opinion when there are more than a few very high pings in a server things get weird. But it's only my opinion based only on my experience with the game.
  • VBALL_MVP

e.g.

I hope you get a answer from him or someone knowledgeable. I've posed similar questions in this very thread only to get no response. In my opinion when there are more than a few very high pings in a server things get weird. But it's only my opinion based only on my experience with the game.

So a couple of days I thought of you. Was able to play in the morning since I have been off from work. I experienced four games in the morning and as you have stated in the past it was flooded with people over 100ms ping.

The thing I didn't experience was anything screwy. It ran fine and was able to play and kill anyone with no issues. Based off of this I believe there is something else that is causing issues since I should have had horrible experiences based on all the high pingers in the game.