Hit Detection

Comments

• Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The game was clearly rushed. And yet another cte is what we get. This should all have been adressed prior to release. The devs know these issues are in the game. People have been saying it since bfbc2. I find it really sad that the cte js clearly "normal" these days. I thinj its a beta test after release. They should have done more pre launch testing. But this is all my opinion.

Is dice only to blaim. No. EA to for the poor servers. The pc community is raging also so the virtual poor servers are also a big problem.

More and more powerfull servers. Ping limits and ping numerals would be a good start.

Again all my opinion.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    "We just need a simple ______ ______"

It is not that simple with networking, especially video game networking, especially with battlefield, I don't care what your solution is.

Yesterday I was in a conquest server that was having variance in tick between 12-15ms totally acceptable bounds, with 45 ms and .5 variance, no packet loss, extrapolation offset right around 30. The servers were reset within the week. Full of players that all looked in region.

My hit-reg started so bad I could not hit or kill anyone for like 5 minutes, like I was in the wrong part of the server computation, unable to confirm a hit. I was also having trouble with regular rubber banding about once a second, lots of instant deaths.

My brother, in the exact same round, had no issue.

Then all of a sudden everything started connecting, like the server finally caught up and adjusted, or like my client finally got its head out of *the ground*, I was landing shots just fine after this unseeable change.

This game has seemingly broken network code, servers that have performance issues that seem like a console exclusive feature, tons of players with highly variant, highly latent, and "broken" connections running without limits. It is not good for the players with good connections.

Trying to play unique modes with a smaller player pool only highlights these issues more so, adding more high ping players certainly doesn't make things any better.

I fully anticipate continuing the networking conversation long after these first fixes, from my experience with battlefield over the last few years, I do not believe that any one fix can address the blatant problems we see.

Interesting on having two people having exactly opposite experiences in the same game.

I think if you both had vids with netgraphs on it would be good to show the devs and see if that gives them a "ah ha" moment.

Unfortunately my ****** recording crap didn't record the problems, I got the end where I check my netgraph again :no_mouth: . My brother didn't get anything, as his was only set to record 30sec.

There was no "ah ha" moment from what I could see, just my hopes getting smashed.

Well you're not a dev, so no ah ha for you....but the fact that one player exhibits one thing and not the other may help them determine what can cause that....it's just another piece to the puzzle.

As for the recording, that's why I always stream on twitch. It records all my games for me, regardless of how long I play, and then I can download them if I want. Can't go wrong with that!
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

It is not that simple with networking, especially video game networking, especially with battlefield, I don't care what your solution is.

Yesterday I was in a conquest server that was having variance in tick between 12-15ms totally acceptable bounds, with 45 ms and .5 variance, no packet loss, extrapolation offset right around 30. The servers were reset within the week. Full of players that all looked in region.

My hit-reg started so bad I could not hit or kill anyone for like 5 minutes, like I was in the wrong part of the server computation, unable to confirm a hit. I was also having trouble with regular rubber banding about once a second, lots of instant deaths.

Then all of a sudden everything started connecting, like the server finally caught up and adjusted, or like my client finally got its head out of *the ground*, I was landing shots just fine after this unseeable change.

This game has seemingly broken network code, servers that have performance issues that seem like a console exclusive feature, tons of players with highly variant, highly latent, and "broken" connections running without limits. It is not good for the players with good connections.

Trying to play unique modes with a smaller player pool only highlights these issues more so, adding more high ping players certainly doesn't make things any better.

I fully anticipate continuing the networking conversation long after these first fixes, from my experience with battlefield over the last few years, I do not believe that any one fix can address the blatant problems we see.

Its the same as me and my friends have noticed. Sometimes its like one or two players from the same squad gets totaly misplaced..
    Then it often change to some other players..

Aim becomes unresponsive and slower.
    (may be more noticeable for high sensitivity players)

Aimassist doesn't work, or work to good.

Shotguns don't register damage properly. (to little or to much)

Snipers.. One game you get instant kills even if you miss the head of enemies by half a meter /two feet.
    The next game sniper tracers go straight through enemies head's, and you get a 60-79 damage hitmarker!

One game you wait for a tank to spawn, after one gets destroyed.... But it never spawns! Instead plane after plane spawns and leve the deployment...

Im almost convinced that the damage registration is glitching alot! Especially the damage drop-off.. It doesn't feel like the servers calculate the proper distance and damage sometimes.

It also feels like your suppressed sometimes, without the wisual clues. But the higher recoil and bullet deviation is in effect..

I would suggest test servers with.
    Pinglimit. In different stages.
    Package loss limit. In different stages.
    And suppression effects turned off!
    Also snapp to target aimassist turned off!

This would give us a better idea of what is going on.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    lizzard wrote: »

Its the same as me and my friends have noticed. Sometimes its like one or two players from the same squad gets totaly misplaced..
    Then it often change to some other players..

Aim becomes unresponsive and slower.
    (may be more noticeable for high sensitivity players)

Aimassist doesn't work, or work to good.

Shotguns don't register damage properly. (to little or to much)

Snipers.. One game you get instant kills even if you miss the head of enemies by half a meter /two feet.
    The next game sniper tracers go straight through enemies head's, and you get a 60-79 damage hitmarker!

One game you wait for a tank to spawn, after one gets destroyed.... But it never spawns! Instead plane after plane spawns and leve the deployment...

Im almost convinced that the damage registration is glitching alot! Especially the damage drop-off.. It doesn't feel like the servers calculate the proper distance and damage sometimes.

It also feels like your suppressed sometimes, without the wisual clues. But the higher recoil and bullet deviation is in effect..

I would suggest test servers with.
    Pinglimit. In different stages.
    Package loss limit. In different stages.
    And suppression effects turned off!
    Also snapp to target aimassist turned off!

This would give us a better idea of what is going on.

But again if it's inconsistent and variants through people why would the first thing be limit pings and connections? Obviously the coding is wrong and it should be addressed first. I think if we get caught up with possible red herrings we delay the fix or not get a fix at all since we are not chasing the #1 issue.

As for CTE...this is an absolute must. After Tony Hawks horrible game launch, more companies are seeing that making a polished game in the short time frame they have is impossible. It's now the norm to make a product and have people play and give feedback. EA is not the only people who do this, Overwatch, The Division, and Destiny are a few others that use Public test servers to help determine what to patch.
    Post edited by VBALL_MVP on
  • diagoro
    1576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I can see the hit registration issues in vehicles. I'll be battling a heavy in another, 3rd person view. I see shots that fly past and hit the ground, than get the his sound and full damage. Happens enough that I know it wasn't fire from another source.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Interesting on having two people having exactly opposite experiences in the same game.

I think if you both had vids with netgraphs on it would be good to show the devs and see if that gives them a "ah ha" moment.

Unfortunately my ****** recording crap didn't record the problems, I got the end where I check my netgraph again :no_mouth: . My brother didn't get anything, as his was only set to record 30sec.

There was no "ah ha" moment from what I could see, just my hopes getting smashed.

Well you're not a dev, so no ah ha for you....but the fact that one player exhibits one thing and not the other may help them determine what can cause that....it's just another piece to the puzzle.

As for the recording, that's why I always stream on twitch. It records all my games for me, regardless of how long I play, and then I can download them if I want. Can't go wrong with that!

Unless the added network strain is also contributing to issues.... Normally I'm pretty good with using the share button.

• denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Regarding advancing technological complexity -
    I would rather play as a polygon, driving and flying polygons and fighting other polygons if that meant that the game would function properly.
    Game developers have put a premium on graphics, making everything all beautiful and realistic at the cost, it seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong), of the actual, functional mechanics of the game.

If it's a matter of resources, I would gladly sacrifice pretty graphics in favor of a properly functioning game.

I don't know if it is a matter of resources - if deep, realistic graphics use up computational resources that could otherwise be used to improve the functionality of the game; I hope someone who understands what goes on "under the hood" will enlighten me as to whether or not this is the case.

In any case, I would much rather have a stick-figure who can jump over a 1 foot high polygon without getting stuck than a detailed, realistic character who gets stuck on a detailed, realistic pebble.
    I'd rather have a stick-figure whose bullets actually do damage to the stick-figure that they appear to be hitting on my screen than to have a historically accurate, realistically detailed soldier, half of whose bullets don't register any damage to the beautifully rendered soldier they appear to be hitting.

I know that no AAA developer is going to use crude-by-today's-standards graphics in order to prioritize quality of functional game-play - beautiful graphics sell games - but I hope some indie developer tries this approach, prioritizing function over form - I'll happily buy a crude-looking game that works over one that looks pretty but plays ugly.
  • Schmo13
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    So I had probably one of the best games today as far as network quality goes. I'm curious if barbed wire a total bullet stopper or do I just suck. A few of those shots shouldn't have landed, too high, but dang. I've had numerous other occurrences like this, but this is the first where I felt I could rule out network deficiencys.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnIx_WkYD6v5hhpPEe8QNHkQWgAE
  • VonSmict
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Schmo13 wrote: »
    So I had probably one of the best games today as far as network quality goes. I'm curious if barbed wire a total bullet stopper or do I just suck. A few of those shots shouldn't have landed, too high, but dang. I've had numerous other occurrences like this, but this is the first where I felt I could rule out network deficiencys.

Not ruling out network issues, but I suspect part of the problem with that clip was that you were moving while firing. That particular dmr, I feel functions best at a stationary position with a moderate fire rate. With the mondragon, you can get away with firing a little faster but you still want to stand relatively still.
  • Schmo13
    VonSmict wrote: »

Not ruling out network issues, but I suspect part of the problem with that clip was that you were moving while firing. That particular dmr, I feel functions best at a stationary position with a moderate fire rate. With the mondragon, you can get away with firing a little faster but you still want to stand relatively still.

I had a similar scenario while prone in grass. Same stuff. A slow walk would seem meaningless, but if that how its designed i guess. Would be nice to see a break down of accuracy attributes or variables then.
  • Mosvalve
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've mentioned this in the past, but I would venture to say that most of the problems we are facing is people playing on wifi connections (packet loss) or plain ole PACKET LOSS. I say that because I ran a ping plotter to a Dice east server and not only experienced packet loss on my route but also my destination- Dice's server.

Holy cow! Imagine that! It about 30 minutes of running ping plotter constantly to see it but it happened. Now, I've never, repeat never, gotten packet loss indication from the in game graph. That's what's weird to me.

@VBALL_MVP I think you said earlier in this thread 3-4 pages back or so. It got me thinking about something so I tried it and lo and behold I found a problem.
  • Schmo13
    Mosvalve wrote: »
    I've mentioned this in the past, but I would venture to say that most of the problems we are facing is people playing on wifi connections (packet loss) or plain ole PACKET LOSS. I say that because I ran a ping plotter to a Dice east server and not only experienced packet loss on my route but also my destination- Dice's server.

Holy cow! Imagine that! It about 30 minutes of running ping plotter constantly to see it but it happened. Now, I've never, repeat never, gotten packet loss indication from the in game graph. That's what's weird to me.

@VBALL_MVP I think you said earlier in this thread 3-4 pages back or so. It got me thinking about something so I tried it and lo and behold I found a problem.

What was the ip for dice us east?
  • VBALL_MVP
    edited January 2017
    The internet does funny things, it's the wold wild west to be honest.

But that's the biggest thing...too many variables. 15 years ago home networks consisted usually of one computer doing only one thing intermittently. Now you have on average 5 electronics along with 4 smart devices downloadin or streaming constantly.

It's hard to imagine that none of that on a 5 year old router wouldn't have any effect on things (along with all the other variables).

@Schmo13 I posted it way back in one of these threads. Sadly I don't have the paper anymore which had it listed.
  • diagoro
    1576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    VonSmict wrote: »

And more of a BF4 gripe. He can't get any accuracy here, but snipers could be using 6 feet long heavy sniper rifles, with 20× scopes while standing or walking.....
    Post edited by diagoro on
  • Mosvalve
    The internet does funny things, it's the wold wild west to be honest.

But that's the biggest thing...too many variables. 15 years ago home networks consisted usually of one computer doing only one thing intermittently. Now you have on average 5 electronics along with 4 smart devices downloadin or streaming constantly.

It's hard to imagine that none of that on a 5 year old router wouldn't have any effect on things (along with all the other variables).

@Schmo13 I posted it way back in one of these threads. Sadly I don't have the paper anymore which had it listed.

Not to mention, when we played on consoles we all played on a wired connection. Barely any packet loss.

@Schmo13 US EAST 159.153.92.28
  • Mosvalve
    Me when the game works well no lag good hit detection etcJamesTKirkShatner1.jpg

Me when the game is f--cking up...latest?cb=20110413183816&path-prefix=en

• mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer DICE
    I am sure i forget a lot to answer here as there were so many comments. First of all we did not fix a console cheat, we are talking PC when talking cheats. Then if you feel like CTE is a bad idea, you dont need to join. It is a way for us to engage with you, test out certain things, get your valuable feedback and determine how to move forward or improve something before it goes live. CTE is live now and early next week it will feature most of the netcode improvements(PC only right now, console to come). I am all for ping caps as stated many times, but you have to believe me that this takes an effort across multiple EA studios to get it implemented and in effect. When somebody says server goes bad when server time goes beyond 16ms, i assumed you are talking PC at 60Hz. For consoels at 30 Hz this should not matter whatsoever as long as you stay below 33ms. Even occasional spikes can be handled. There is some client side bug which resulted in high lags which makes it hard to hit anybody. This should be fixed and will likely be featured on CTE next week. Ping jitter is indeed a big issue. We implemented lots of stuff to cope with this. Of course, the higher the latency, the higher the average jitter can be. When I say that the server performance is not affected by packet loss or high ping, than i mean it. There is no such thing as recalculation where a player with 1000ms ping is. The server expects inputs from a player, if you fail to send for an extended period of time, it will be replaced by null inputs. So the entire simulation is more or less stable in its processing time. We clamped these values down so high pingers will feel the effect of a high jitter quite a bit more. I think a good foundation of netcode which handles various jitter/loss/ping properly is essential. Of course, if we finally get ping caps working, this would provide the gameplay you ask for. I know this all sounds like corporate bla bla, but the extend of your poor experience with OOR players is not as widely acknowledged as you hope for. I raised the issue and hope we get to where we all want to get to. Implementing the ping in the scoreboard is hopefully coming, believe it or not, there were higher prioritized items to take care of. Sorry about that.
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    I am sure i forget a lot to answer here as there were so many comments. First of all we did not fix a console cheat, we are talking PC when talking cheats. Then if you feel like CTE is a bad idea, you dont need to join. It is a way for us to engage with you, test out certain things, get your valuable feedback and determine how to move forward or improve something before it goes live. CTE is live now and early next week it will feature most of the netcode improvements(PC only right now, console to come). I am all for ping caps as stated many times, but you have to believe me that this takes an effort across multiple EA studios to get it implemented and in effect. When somebody says server goes bad when server time goes beyond 16ms, i assumed you are talking PC at 60Hz. For consoels at 30 Hz this should not matter whatsoever as long as you stay below 33ms. Even occasional spikes can be handled. There is some client side bug which resulted in high lags which makes it hard to hit anybody. This should be fixed and will likely be featured on CTE next week. Ping jitter is indeed a big issue. We implemented lots of stuff to cope with this. Of course, the higher the latency, the higher the average jitter can be. When I say that the server performance is not affected by packet loss or high ping, than i mean it. There is no such thing as recalculation where a player with 1000ms ping is. The server expects inputs from a player, if you fail to send for an extended period of time, it will be replaced by null inputs. So the entire simulation is more or less stable in its processing time. We clamped these values down so high pingers will feel the effect of a high jitter quite a bit more. I think a good foundation of netcode which handles various jitter/loss/ping properly is essential. Of course, if we finally get ping caps working, this would provide the gameplay you ask for. I know this all sounds like corporate bla bla, but the extend of your poor experience with OOR players is not as widely acknowledged as you hope for. I raised the issue and hope we get to where we all want to get to. Implementing the ping in the scoreboard is hopefully coming, believe it or not, there were higher prioritized items to take care of. Sorry about that.

Thank you again for the info/update.
  • VBALL_MVP
    mmarkweII wrote: »

Thank you again for the info/update.

ditto
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017

I am agaisnt the CTE because of these issues:

- YOu divide player base because Premium is needed
    - PC only atm, its just like BF4 all over again, you ask the community for feedback yet you "lock"the biggest playerbase (consoles) out. I understand why PC only because of fast patches.
    - CTE should be done before release. now we as a community pay to test.

^^ All my opinions, not meant to be rude or disrespectfull.

Thank you very much for your answers and efford.