Hit Detection

Comments

• TheOver50Gamer
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Schmo13 wrote: »
    Mosvalve wrote: »
    @Schmo13 US EAST 159.153.92.28

Thanks. I managed to get my network setup before I saw that and was able to pull this,

BF1USEastServerTraceXBL1-31-17-0957_zpsngw92d2b.png

Both tests were the same regarding ping, jitter, PL

Where do you get these server names from? I am in the UK on a wired FTTC conection 32mbps down 6.2mbps up and my son is playing overwatch on his PC and most probably got his xbox on aswell and my average after 200 pings to that server which I assume is in the US is 91ms! So that is nearly double what his ping is and thats sunday 3pm in the UK so a 100ms cap wont stop me joining but I could potentially be having latency 2 to 3 times higher than players based in the US. To be honest all online FPS games on console will try and even the playing field but as we all are aware it doesn't work so for me the only thing to do is get an ADSL connection live on my second line which will have high latency due to the fact its ADSL and connect wirelessly and stick the ethernet back in to watch sky, job done.
  • oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I get that alot when being shot at bullets won't be hitting me or sometimes the other guy isn't even firing his gun for what feels like less than half a second my soldier will be glued to spot and none of my inputs will register then il just instantly in 1 frame drop dead.
    I suspect server side i'm already dead and the game uses some sort of delay to my client when being shot by a high latency player to try and make my death look less wonky and out of sync than it actually was without the delay I would have just died to a player who wasn't even on my screen yet.
    Even the delay doesn't hide the desync most the time , the other day I was running along no one around coming off main spawn and 1 frame I instantly dropped dead there was no one there, it went to the death screen which showed nothing no one there no red out line, then suddenly out of no where after a second in the death screen a guy magically materialised out of thin air right in the middle of the death screen highlighted in red that was guy who shot me while invisible.
  • GTrain5093
    10 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I love it when it shows I'm getting hit from behind or from the right and turn around to try and find the guy and he's not there and then I turn around again and he's in front of me
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    GTrain5093 wrote: »
    I love it when it shows I'm getting hit from behind or from the right and turn around to try and find the guy and he's not there and then I turn around again and he's in front of me

I noticed this the other day. It seems the damage indicator bug from BF4 may have resurfaced.
  • Schmo13
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Thanks. I managed to get my network setup before I saw that and was able to pull this,

Where do you get these server names from? I am in the UK on a wired FTTC conection 32mbps down 6.2mbps up and my son is playing overwatch on his PC and most probably got his xbox on aswell and my average after 200 pings to that server which I assume is in the US is 91ms! So that is nearly double what his ping is and thats sunday 3pm in the UK so a 100ms cap wont stop me joining but I could potentially be having latency 2 to 3 times higher than players based in the US. To be honest all online FPS games on console will try and even the playing field but as we all are aware it doesn't work so for me the only thing to do is get an ADSL connection live on my second line which will have high latency due to the fact its ADSL and connect wirelessly and stick the ethernet back in to watch sky, job done.

That is a US East server. There are several. I have another post with other locations and a server from each, server city location is listed too. I got the ip with a packet tracking program. Its actually all public knowledge. If you google that ip you will find sites that list the server owner, location, ect.
  • TheOver50Gamer
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

That is a US East server. There are several. I have another post with other locations and a server from each, server city location is listed too. I got the ip with a packet tracking program. Its actually all public knowledge. If you google that ip you will find sites that list the server owner, location, ect.

Cheers
  • MARAUDER71
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    Lol that logic. So every hamoodi or abood_ksa is just trolling. Have their psn profiles in arabic just for fun. Ok that is one way to look at it. Ps. Im not really Immortal.

I dare you. Start up bf3. Select Europe and noshcanals. See al the asmin names. See the server banners. Its all arabic. But all trolls right? See for yourself. I made screenshots but got banned for it because it was naming and shaming. Didnt know a server was a person. Guess sometimes truth stings a little. I believe even your buddy king tolapsium said something about ksa on noshar canals. Maybe if he repeats it you will take his word over mine.

It has nothing to do with trolling, what is wrong with you sometimes? My nationally is Bosnian, my nick name is Mad Bosnian, that's why I choose the screenname. Just because I live in the US doesn't mean I have to identify myself as American. I have a neighbor who is Puerto Rican, his SN has a PR in front....Doesn't mean he is there right now playing. That is a very narrow minded throught process...but then again you have made the statement that many from Afghanistan are playing as well.

Go to Switzerland, there you will see people in Basil talking German, people in Delamonte (sp?), speaking only French.....yet they are Swiss. You can't judge a person's location by language and Screennames.

But realistically.. those numbers of people with oor type sreennames etc... That are actually playing IN region is going to be small... You expect us 2 believe that 95% of players with screen names like that are actually playing IN region?
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2017
    MARAUDER71 wrote: »
    Lol that logic. So every hamoodi or abood_ksa is just trolling. Have their psn profiles in arabic just for fun. Ok that is one way to look at it. Ps. Im not really Immortal.

I dare you. Start up bf3. Select Europe and noshcanals. See al the asmin names. See the server banners. Its all arabic. But all trolls right? See for yourself. I made screenshots but got banned for it because it was naming and shaming. Didnt know a server was a person. Guess sometimes truth stings a little. I believe even your buddy king tolapsium said something about ksa on noshar canals. Maybe if he repeats it you will take his word over mine.

It has nothing to do with trolling, what is wrong with you sometimes? My nationally is Bosnian, my nick name is Mad Bosnian, that's why I choose the screenname. Just because I live in the US doesn't mean I have to identify myself as American. I have a neighbor who is Puerto Rican, his SN has a PR in front....Doesn't mean he is there right now playing. That is a very narrow minded throught process...but then again you have made the statement that many from Afghanistan are playing as well.

Go to Switzerland, there you will see people in Basil talking German, people in Delamonte (sp?), speaking only French.....yet they are Swiss. You can't judge a person's location by language and Screennames.

But realistically.. those numbers of people with oor type sreennames etc... That are actually playing IN region is going to be small... You expect us 2 believe that 95% of players with screen names like that are actually playing IN region?

Its funny you bring that up because I am sitting in my hotel in the UK watching a documentary called "999 What's Your Emergency" they talk about the issues the UK is having with the rising immigration and how its harder to answer emergency calls due to the fact that many who have now immigrated to the country (legal and illegally) don't speak any English whatsoever. In fact when interviewing some of the victims they identify themselves from their country of origin, not UK. In the US there are 42 million immigrants, how many of those do you think identify themselves as American?

Just because people moved to another country doesn't mean they have to identify themselves in that country. I can't tell you how many ignorant messages I get of people claiming me to be an OOR when I play East Coast US servers.....their justification - My screen name.

It goes back to my original statement, if playing OOR and with bad connections is an advantage....why are the tryhards not doing it? Why when in cross country clan matches (or east vs west US) do people want to be in their region? If it is so good, why are more people doing it instead of complaining about it?
  • mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer DICE
    When you get disconnected from the server, that's usually on your end unless the server has been restarted, but that won't happen while players are on it. Hard for me to say why. Was there a reason displayed?
    As far as the 91 ping from UK goes. You might have a better and more stable connection from UK to US EAST than some guys in Mid West going thru congested routers.
    I do not quite understand why this is such a huge and important difference if somebody has a 50ms or 91 ms ping. Say if both players have an equally good experience , is that really such a bad thing? Shouldn't the better player just win? Now of course i'd like everyone to have a ping of 20ms which would almost be LAN alike Gameplay given 60fps. I am not advocating that region does not matter and the longer the distance between end points, the more likely is jitter and higher the latency (also more routers, more potential delays in packet forwarding etc.). But there are really good connections from UK to US East and i just wonder why I should try to actively prevent this?! I just like to get your insights on this.
    @KingTolapsium: what you are describing is typical rubberbanding. Normally this should only ever happen when the server struggles to keep its update rate or you have some severe consecutive upstream packet loss. Any chance to upload a video of this?
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited February 2017
    @mischkag I have been in servers when they got their weekly restart (in BF4), multiple times in the same night (just my luck). But, it is pretty easy to tell if losing connection is client side, or server side IMO.

Has something changed from BF4 to BF1 where servers only get restarted if there are no players on it?

And...

Is there a difference between the weekly server restarts and servers getting a restart that have gone dead due to lack of players, and then those filling up again, going live?
  • mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer DICE
    There are no scheduled server restarts atm. There are up scales and down scales based on demand. There is player migration and there should therefore no reason to disconnect the client because of it. So how do you find this out easy why you got disconnected?
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    When you get disconnected from the server, that's usually on your end unless the server has been restarted, but that won't happen while players are on it. Hard for me to say why. Was there a reason displayed?
    As far as the 91 ping from UK goes. You might have a better and more stable connection from UK to US EAST than some guys in Mid West going thru congested routers.
    I do not quite understand why this is such a huge and important difference if somebody has a 50ms or 91 ms ping. Say if both players have an equally good experience , is that really such a bad thing? Shouldn't the better player just win? Now of course i'd like everyone to have a ping of 20ms which would almost be LAN alike Gameplay given 60fps. I am not advocating that region does not matter and the longer the distance between end points, the more likely is jitter and higher the latency (also more routers, more potential delays in packet forwarding etc.). But there are really good connections from UK to US East and i just wonder why I should try to actively prevent this?! I just like to get your insights on this.
    @KingTolapsium: what you are describing is typical rubberbanding. Normally this should only ever happen when the server struggles to keep its update rate or you have some severe consecutive upstream packet loss. Any chance to upload a video of this?

Plain and simple you shouldn't prevent it.

As some of have said, and you too, OOR doesn't mean bad connection. With all the crappy ISP providers out there, the odds are that the bad internet player is in region...may be your neighbor....or even yourself.
  • mmarkweII
    There are no scheduled server restarts atm. There are up scales and down scales based on demand. There is player migration and there should therefore no reason to disconnect the client because of it. So how do you find this out easy why you got disconnected?

In the Playstation menus, it shows how long a server has been active. If I am playing and get disconnected, I pull up the server I was just on, and the timer will either be reset with no players in it, or the timer will still be counting up from where I have previously taken note before joining and players still in it.

I also utilize the netgraph 100% of the time to watch for any issues.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I'm pretty sure i have footage, but honestly it doesn't really look like anything. (Hence my request for an input overlay.)

I'll try to get obvious instances uploaded, I haven't lost a packet in what seems like forever, so I'm going to rule that one out. :smile:
  • stuwooster
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited February 2017
    But there are really good connections from UK to US East and i just wonder why I should try to actively prevent this?! I just like to get your insights on this.

I think i have said a couple of times that i personally dont think region locking is the way to go for this exact reason, i think a lot of people equate lower ping to good connection, would it be possible to have some kind of server side evaluation of connection quality that takes into account packet loss / jitter / variance and then allow access to certain servers for those people? Is that even something that could be evaluated client side and then reported to the server?
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    stuwooster wrote: »
    But there are really good connections from UK to US East and i just wonder why I should try to actively prevent this?! I just like to get your insights on this.

I think i have said a couple of times that i personally dont think region locking is the way to go for this exact reason, i think a lot of people equate lower ping to good connection, would it be possible to have some kind of server side evaluation of connection quality that takes into account packet loss / jitter / variance and then allow access to certain servers for those people? Is that even something that could be evaluated client side and then reported to the server?

This is what I have suggested since bf4.

I have also noticed what @KingTolapsium is describing.
    Its like the character freezes when taking damage, or in a heated situation..

As I said earlier. It gets more and more noticeable when the SrvTick goes up to 18-25ms

This indicates that something is really wrong with the servers or the way the client handles data.

I sure hope that the netcode changes can make the gameplay a bit less frustrating.

@mischkag
    How does the client and server know how to apply the right amount of damage per bullet, based on distance? Drop off etc..

Notice alot when playing with sniper class.
    That I often do less damage to targets that are in the sweetspot.

Fo example. Sniping att a flag, that's within a serten distance. Using a rifle that have a sweetspot that fits that distance.
    Still getting alot of 70 - 89% damage markers.

Also almost impossible to kill someone in prone facing me. Direct hits to the head seems to not register as headshots!?

But its still possible for a guy to get a one hit kill on me, with a 1911 pistol over a 60-100 meter distance!

Kind of inconsistent....

Maybe some changes in future patches already address this?
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017

They are OOR according to some ksa irak iran q8 is empty now and all life in the UK. I think they should tell dice that the middle isnt a region anymore. They are all in the UK. Did you like the respons about the documentary lol. Some here just refuse to acknowledge something. But when they speak it is fact. And they wonder why we call them trolls. Now they will say im argueing and will call in a mod because i name them trolls. Ah well at least i learned one thing and that is as long ad some trolls here believe what they are writing i pitty this community sadly im part of. No ban me lol. Saves me the agony of coming here daily.

Some make excellent post some just bait and i took it. We know who.

I ll check this game in a year and probably will see hamoodi_ksa still skipping over the map but i guess its my tv causing the issue. Its only a brandnew 4k oled with 2 ms gamemode and was only €2999. lol. Oh well. Good day for all and thanks midchtag for your suppory and feedback. Really appreciate it. :smile:
  • mmarkweII
    edited February 2017

They are OOR according to some ksa irak iran q8 is empty now and all life in the UK. I think they should tell dice that the middle isnt a region anymore. They are all in the UK. Did you like the respons about the documentary lol. Some here just refuse to acknowledge something. But when they speak it is fact. And they wonder why we call them trolls. Now they will say im argueing and will call in a mod because i name them trolls. Ah well at least i learned one thing and that is as long ad some trolls here believe what they are writing i pitty this community sadly im part of. No ban me lol. Saves me the agony of coming here daily.

I ll check this game in a year and probably will see hamoodi_ksa still skipping over the map but i guess its my tv causing the issue. Its only a brandnew 4k oled with 2 ms gamemode and was only €2999. lol. Oh well. Good day for all and thanks midchtag for your suppory and feedback. Really appreciate it. :smile:

The irony is too stronk :neutral:

Edit: ninja'd by an edit but, good luck and see you in a year I guess.
    Post edited by mmarkweII on
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Yeah lol. Wrote it. Just woke up. Had to edit some typos from writing on Phone.

Yeah see you next year. Guess OOR and high ping isnt an advantage will.still be the theory. Thank god pc will be tje main feedback for CTE not these trolls with 3 digits ping themselves. See on you pc someday. Oh no wait. Autokick for high ping. I suggest you stay here with your upvote platoon and try to educate that OOR and high ping isnt a problem and that all foreign usernames are probably in region gamers. And you need pc users as prove but problem is they never tested on PS4 with full lag happy hour. Lol. Good luck.
    Post edited by Immortal_0neShot on
  • VBALL_MVP

Wow, I see the ignorance is still in you. Still hating on anyone who is Arab I see. It's people like you who bring this game to its knees with your conspiracies and beliefs that a name indicates where you are from.

I'll ask again, if you were moved to the US would you identify yourself as American?

We all know you're going to avoid that question, but that's fine we all know the answer.