Hit Detection

Comments

• Ram1c
    4167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    denjoga wrote: »
    One of the many patterns that have continued to prove true with each new DICE game is that the "netcode" performs better in the beta and at launch than it does as the games age.
    My theory is that, as the player base grows, so does the amount of variation in latencies in any given server.
    More latency = more latency compensation - DICE's method of latency compensation is, IMO, the prime cause of poor "netcode" performance, especially for those of us with better connection quality.
    55362007.jpg

• jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    Only a few things have been addressed in that patch.
    Can you plz elaborate a bit on less damage output?

I noticed something similar to this on the first day the patch released while on Monte Grappa—Cei Rigotti under 30m taking four bullets to kill (with four hit markers). Same kind of situation with other medic rifles all day. I've been having more issues since patch—but that could simply be due to a number of factors, including changes made to weapon damage models, recoil, spread, etc.
  • DigitalDeath88
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hit detection has been ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ after the update. I have been killed behind walls now when it never happened before. Love being shot at then going prove behind a wall for cover and when the prone animation is finished I suddenly die to a "headshot" by the guy who started shooting at me before I dropped, the kill cam showing him through said wall.
  • DigitalDeath88
    edited February 2017
    denjoga wrote: »
    One of the many patterns that have continued to prove true with each new DICE game is that the "netcode" performs better in the beta and at launch than it does as the games age.
    My theory is that, as the player base grows, so does the amount of variation in latencies in any given server.
    More latency = more latency compensation - DICE's method of latency compensation is, IMO, the prime cause of poor "netcode" performance, especially for those of us with better connection quality.
    Here's the thing though, BF1's player base is not growing. It is actually falling off faster than BF3 an BF4 (even with all of BF4's bugs) at the same time after their release. And who can blame them for leaving, any more "fixes" or "balances" and it wont fell anything like a BF game at all.
  • mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer DICE
    The overall latency was much lower during the Beta. Right now we have about 2..4% of players >100ms on average. When you hit one of these, the server may have a different idea. Again, that should all be much much better with the XP1 patch. The perception that enemies need less bullets comes mostly from the issue that the weapon firing at times missed bullets and instead combined the damage. That results in the perception of more damage per bullet.
  • jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The overall latency was much lower during the Beta. Right now we have about 2..4% of players >100ms on average. When you hit one of these, the server may have a different idea. Again, that should all be much much better with the XP1 patch. The perception that enemies need less bullets comes mostly from the issue that the weapon firing at times missed bullets and instead combined the damage. That results in the perception of more damage per bullet.

Would that result in this situation, though, where I get four hitmarkers and the enemy is still alive with a Cei under 30m? I don't have video of this unfortunately—I never capture to save disc space on my PS hard drive—but that wasn't the only instance of screwy behavior like this. It's kind of a reverse of collected bullet damage bug from BF4: you hit the enemy more times than the gun at that distance on that spot on the body should take for a kill, still get hitmarkers for all said landed shots, but enemy still lives.
  • mischkag
    Mmmmh when you get hit markers, the damage was clearly done. It makes 38 damage, with spawn protection or as a cavalry soldier, it is less. But in general 4 hits should always be enough
  • jdbelcher1998
    Mmmmh when you get hit markers, the damage was clearly done. It makes 38 damage, with spawn protection or as a cavalry soldier, it is less. But in general 4 hits should always be enough

Yes! I know...like I said, screwy. I'm not sure what happened there, if somehow the server attributed the hit to a *different* enemy—though I couldn't see any other enemies nearby–or what, but this has happened a few times, enough that I wanted to point it out. Sorry I don't have any capture of this, but will let you know if I encounter it again.
  • Schmo13
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

If this is truly the case then the patch can't come soon enough. That has been most of my experience playing. Empty 10 round mag in enemy 10 meters away to get a kill while dude 30-40 meters away handguns me with (seemingly) one or two shots. I just chalked it up to being the medic guns are terrible.
  • DigitalDeath88
    Another bug I get after the update is when dying then being revived while ADS I revive to being stuck ADS and not able to fire or reload.
  • mischkag
    This bug has been around since launch and hard to reproduce. However we are looking into fixing it. Sorry about that.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

So if I understand this, you're saying only 2 to 4% of players have latency above 100ms?
  • mischkag
    Across all servers on PC yes. Sorry, wasn't specific enough.
  • mischkag
    On consoles, we have about 4% 100...200ms and 0.5% 200+ms
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2017

No data on console? I mean if we are talking 4%, means something else is going on.

Edit: Sorry you ninja'd with console data
    Post edited by VBALL_MVP on
  • jdbelcher1998
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

No data on console? I mean if we are talking 4%, means something else is going on.

I agree. 4% is really rather surprising to me.
  • Schmo13
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

I agree. 4% is really rather surprising to me.

Funny i got flamed way back for suggesting this and how other games play fine. Now all of a sudden it might be something else.....

Whatever it is I hope we can pin it down.
    Post edited by Schmo13 on
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Interesting....
  • stuwooster
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I have been getting the problem with ducking behind cover a lot recently, as soon as shots come in, duck behind a wall or dune or run round a corner then after the animation appears to have finished you just die. Its incredibly frustrating.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Do you collect data of individuals package loss, and jitter/ how the ping fluctuates?

As for the damage output issues. I've posted clips to you about similar issues.

Examples.
    Assult class rocket gun. Direkt hit on infantry enemy =59% damage!

Sniper hit to face of player in prone = 79% damage!

A10 hunter, a narrow spreading shotgun. Direct hit to enemy center mass, under 5 meters away =16% damage!

The only way I see how this can happen.
    Is if the hits register as nearly missed.
    Hit to shoulder. Arm. Foot. Etc.

Blastradious hits some invisible wall and limit the damage.

Only one or two pellets from the shotgun counts as hits (witch would be fine if the distance would be 50 meters)

Had two really good games last time. where the game played decent enough to enjoy, hittdetektion wise.
    The teambalance on the other hand did not work at all...

I really need bf1 to work. Since ubisoft have patched r6siege to a mess, to cater for the guys with +400ms ping... Its simply infuriating to play that game on ps4 at this time.