Hit Detection

Comments

• BadcuzTremysaid
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Good info
  • Cactus757
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm beyond sick of the terrible hit detection. It is a direct result of the poor netcode. I changed my kill marker to red. Now sometimes I shoot someone, get red kill marker but they don't die. I still get instakilled by a lmg, pistol, etc. The amount of disadvantage put on low ping players is ridiculous. The only solution at the moment is to play OOR. Seems someone at Dice is hellbent on protecting the high pingers.
  • ghostmatter
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    jhoads wrote: »
    Got ya topped..
    Played yesterday....vame up on an enemy..started shooting and getting hit matkers...only to be shot down with 3 rounds..
    Medic revived me and came back with rifle shooting animation and it was stuck...not firing any rounds..or sound,,,,but gun was recoiling/firing on its own...until I was shot again....
    Also been stuck in Morter after using all the ammo....wouldnt let me go back to rifle...until I was killed.....also have had issues where I cant ADS....or shoot...Kinda like I was a victim of a Lag Switch....
    Hope issues get fixed .....cant see buying premium at this point....

the same morter problem is happening to me also.
  • jeepers871755
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    All the dice dude said was that they are looking to even it out in the future. Does that mean fixing this game or a future release? Inquiring minds wanna know. Personally I'm tired of shooting someone in the back and have them turn around and insta kill me with what seems like laser guided aim. This is why people are so sour on this game and dice's capabalitities in general. I have a love/hate relationship with this game. You can't play more than 3-4 rounds until the bs starts happening. I play mostly late at night in us and the servers are rife with shenanigans compared to daytime hours for some reason.
  • jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    @mischkag

I never used to get the server performance/tickrate warning icon in BF4 (not once that I can recall), but I'm getting it constantly on DICE official servers in BF1—why might that be the case? And wouldn't you agree that the server failing to perform a refresh simulation is a likely component of why hit registration might be off for me? (And obviously I game on a wired connection—I'm playing on PS4 on East USA servers...or, I guess "USA" servers since East region doesn't seem possible on PS4 with the new server browser!)

I don't have any good answers to your question about what else would improve gameplay (and hit reg) other than region or ping locks—mostly because I feel like no matter how many times I have watched Chris's (Battle[non]sense's) videos on "net code" I still feel like grasping the in's and out's of this stuff is a bit like grasping quantum physics (I mean we are dealing with issues where something that happened in the past for one person is happening in the present for another...kinda like time travel). But I agree with someone above who said they just want a level playing field for all players and to feel like I'm not at a huge disadvantage no matter what I do to make sure my connection is both excellent and stable.

So I'm looking forward to the CTE to see what's possible and to explore options. I'd be interested in seeing more dedicated high(er)-tickrate server tests again. Can you explain why it is BF4 could test tickrates of 45, 50, and 55, but BF1 cannot because its weapons are "tuned" to "multiples of 30" (I have no idea what this means—I do understand why 60 is not viable on current console). Seems like low ping players especially on console might benefit from better server performance—a maximum of 30Hz update rate plus congestion on a server (plus a server failing to perform a simulation!) can simply compound the lag added by an OOR player. Seems like it would be a good idea to return to this if it's possible...though it kinda sounds like it might not be?

Thanks again for your thoughts and communication here. Peace.
  • jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    (Speaking of the CTE, do you guys know and can you tell us whether Sony is allowing a CTE on PS4 this time around?)
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Cactus757 wrote: »
    I'm beyond sick of the terrible hit detection.

Edit-The more and more players continue playing out of region, its beginning to cause my own region play(NA East) to become unplayable. It seems to be getting progressively worse by the day. I turned on my netgraph tonight just to see the numbers...Im averaging 25-40 latency, 0 packet loss. Honestly didnt pay attention to the other numbers because im not sure of relevance.
    Post edited by SupremeEpidemic on
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Cactus757 wrote: »
    I'm beyond sick of the terrible hit detection.

Edit-The more and more players continue playing out of region, its beginning to cause my own region play(NA East) to become unplayable. It seems to be getting progressively worse by the day. I turned on my netgraph tonight just to see the numbers...Im averaging 25-40 latency, 0 packet loss. Honestly didnt pay attention to the other numbers because im not sure of relevance.

Server tickrate is important.
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

30 hz
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

30 hz

No. Not that. The servtick value in the graph. The higher the number, the more the server is struggling. Once it reaches a certain point, performance issues become more noticeable.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    mmarkweII wrote: »

30 hz

No. Not that. The servtick value in the graph. The higher the number, the more the server is struggling. Once it reaches a certain point, performance issues become more noticeable.

Exactly, I should have been more specific lol.

*Its normal to see around ~6ms for low player count modes, and ~16ms for larger player count modes.
    Post edited by KingTolapsium on
  • SupremeEpidemic
    edited December 2016
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SupremeEpidemic/screenshot/5448092

Here is a screenshot of my netgraph. NA East
    Post edited by SupremeEpidemic on
  • Snazzy_Snafu_OG
    166 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Shotguns are very inconsistent and so are bolt actions occasionally. When an enemy is probably 10 meters away and stationary, when I see the trail of my shot go through their f*****g chest, but don't get a hit marker or damage indication, that is complete garbage. I can't tell you how many times I've put a M95 shot through someone's chest and not gotten a hitmarker when they are moving towards me or stationary at close range. All it manages to do is get me killed when in reality I shot them in the chest. Even if I get a hitmarker I can usually put a follow up shot pretty accurately and get the kill or switch to my sidearm. When the enemy is still at 100% health, it is pretty difficult to slam 4 M1911 rounds into their chest before he puts a Model 10A shot in my face. When I use shotguns, I'm constantly getting 10 damage shots at one shot kill distances one after another until I'm laying face first in the mud.
  • RichardPye843
    206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The hit detection for low ping players is beyond frustrating. It REALLY makes me angry that I can not enjoy my experience and play this game after investing so much money! I pay extra for high speed, I pay for Xbox live, I paid for this game and feel as if it is all flushed down the toilet playing this game and ONLY this game (SWBF had same problems too). I cant even play two rounds without having to quit out of pure frustration due to the completely terrible hit detection. So sick of it! Makes me not even want to play and I want to. I very much enjoy the game when it works properly very little of the time or if I play out region. I dont want to do that. I want to play in my region with my own language. This game SUCKS in the state it is in now! THE HIGH PING PLAYERS SHOULD BE THE ONES DEALING WITH THIS FRUSTRATION!! There should be a penalty for playing out of region. Just ONE out of region player or high ping player ruins the entire server for EVERYONE! The logic by DICE completely baffels me. Punish the low ping players and reward the high ping player. Moron logic!! My theory is that they do this to save money on server locations.
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

30 hz

*Its normal to see around ~6ms for low player count modes, and ~16ms for larger player count modes.

True. And when the servtick value reaches a certain point around 33ms I think (I forget the actual number), dusting, rubberbanding, and other things happen because the sever is struggling to finish processing the data during each "tick". Battlenonsense explains this quite well.

P.S. @KingTolapsium not directed at you m8. I know you understand all of this quite well.
  • KingTolapsium
    edited January 2017

30 hz

True. And when the servtick value reaches a certain point around 33ms I think (I forget the actual number), dusting, rubberbanding, and other things happen because the sever is struggling to finish processing the data during each "tick". Battlenonsense explains this quite well.

P.S. @KingTolapsium not directed at you m8. I know you understand all of this quite well.

It's actually closer to ~25ms that things start to get screwy (in my experience). It's just worse the closer you get to 33ms.

:)
  • HUMANFRAIL7Y
    771 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It was my first time playing out of region today (with members of a sister clan). I live in the US, but the clan members were from Europe, so they were in a European server, obviously. Once I joined them, I could tell that the hit detection for me was atrocious right of the bat. I didn't feel I had an advantage at all playing out of region like many here have thought to be true.

But hey, this was MY personal experience. Your experience may be vastly different from mine. Needless to say, I'll be avoiding playing out of region while running solo in the future.
  • SupremeEpidemic
    edited January 2017
    It was my first time playing out of region today (with members of a sister clan). I live in the US, but the clan members were from Europe, so they were in a European server, obviously. Once I joined them, I could tell that the hit detection for me was atrocious right of the bat. I didn't feel I had an advantage at all playing out of region like many here have thought to be true.

But hey, this was MY personal experience. Your experience may be vastly different from mine. Needless to say, I'll be avoiding playing out of region while running solo in the future.

I too have tried playing out of region, but dont get "the oor advantage". I dont understand the technicalities of the way the devs have the servers set up, but @mischkag said him/herself that there is an advantage for high pingers. I posted a screenshot of my netgraph(a few posts up, on this thread) for NA East. Im by far a high pinger, so that maybe why I dont get the "advantage" playing oor.
  • mmarkweII

I too have tried playing out of region, but dont get "the oor advantage". I dont understand the technicalities of the way the devs have the servers set up, but @mischkag said him/herself that there is an advantage for high pingers. I posted a screenshot of my netgraph(a few posts up, on this thread) for NA East. Im by far a high pinger, so that maybe why I dont get the "advantage" playing oor.

For every so called "advantage" for a high ping player, there is a disadvantage. Pros and cons for both low ping and high ping players. It has been acknowledged by the devs on all fronts. Netgraph helps in determining the root cause of issues most of the time.
  • SupremeEpidemic
    For the record, I DO NOT want an advantage of any sort! I WANT a smooth experience in the NA region that was designed for my location.