This Week in Battlefield V

Is anyone going to rent a server? Constructive debate thread

Px-Progdogg
442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
From what I have seen so far I wouldn't pay anything for the rent-a-server program. I would have preferred they held the program back completely until it was something other than an un-polished ****.

So far, from what I have read, the official servers that we have been playing on for the last 4 weeks have more depth than the rented servers. The options for admin's are abysmal, the customisation is abysmal, the content is abysmal, the rent-a-server program is a huge abysmal let down.

Would like to gauge everyone's thoughts on this, I don't know how others feel but I certainly feel under-whelmed and hugely let down.

Will anyone be renting one? In its current state EA can say goodbye to our $600.00 pa.

Comments

• Badnewsbadger
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't see why anyone would if you can't kick/ban people. What is the point? Rest of it I could wait for but if I am putting up $ for a server I want to be able to kick those tank **** that sit on the edge of the map racking up kill streaks and not PTFO!!
  • kL-SnAjP
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    no1 visiting forums would admit publicly that he spend money on beta of rent a server
    yet, you cant rent an european server anymore couse none is free.......
  • PeppaPigKiIIa
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I had plans for minimum 2 servers for my community, we've been renters since bf2.

However, i will not be renting this time around just to have my name on a server.
    The old way worked fine.
    Hardline- bad game - good rental service
    Battlefield 1 - great game- bad rental service

Clearly learned some strange lessons on that one.
    If and i suppose its a big if, the revert to the old way of rental, or actually give 3rd party Rcon, i will not buy into this game anymore. I've already significantly reduced my game time on the game due to lack of communication on the matter.

Dice may have been pressure into giving us details sooner than they might have liked, but its like your girl satosfying you and then telling you to finish yourself off.
  • Press-2-Continue
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Honestly no and heres why

Europe as a location covers a wide area so without an actual location for the server I'd be paying for this is a no go.

No actual Admin or assinging Admins on said server that our community would be paying is a big NO go.

6 Map limit with no choice in changing player size to suit our community's needs rather than what dice says we should be having is again a big NO go.

Having the chance to rent a server within Europe currently there is non left thanx to the 1 day, 7 day tester's is another big NO go.

Dice/EA not saying weather Pc/PS4/X1 servers are done seperately and instead making it look like there is only a set number for all platforms within that region is another big NO go.

Lack of any customization compared to BF3/4 in terms of daily message,personalized kill message's etc that we got from 3rd party plug-ins is a big NO go.

Basically all we are able to rent is offical server's because any changes to ticket count,making it hardcore like mak ethe servers unranked is another big NO go.
  • Badnewsbadger
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    And where is the Community Manager on this? You say you might have news on Monday with probable knowledge that you knew this was being released today, it releases to this sort of thud and no responses yet? I gave them a huge pass on Battlefront for their lack of communication and slow releasing of info but I am sorry this is not good and will not be forking over any more cash to this franchise.
  • Px-Progdogg
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited November 2016
    And where is the Community Manager on this? You say you might have news on Monday with probable knowledge that you knew this was being released today, it releases to this sort of thud and no responses yet? I gave them a huge pass on Battlefront for their lack of communication and slow releasing of info but I am sorry this is not ggod and will not be forking over any more cash to this franchise.

Exactly. @Braddock512 said there was "Big answers" coming.
    I'm working on getting something out Monday. Not everything, but some big answers.

-Braddock512-

Instead they release a half-pie version with a 6 map rotation that has basic customisation and no admin tools whatsoever. Currently anyone who pays for a server is basically paying to name it. Sure you can change some settings but good luck populating it when the server is custom and people can just play on full official servers that pretty much have the same settings but more maps.

What a joke.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6727 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'm looking at picking up the game this weekend and then possibly getting a server.

Capacity Issue

Kick/Ban/Move - under development

Class limiting - under development

Behemoth disable - under development

Passwording servers - under development

HardCore
  • Px-Progdogg

I wouldn't bother getting one yet mate. Wait until some of these things are actually implemented. Unless you want to play on a 6 map max server. They have already released hardcore servers in the server browser so it would't even be worth renting to test this out.
  • kL-SnAjP
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    well the thing is, they want our money today
  • Rev0verDrive
    6727 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I wouldn't bother getting one yet mate. Wait until some of these things are actually implemented. Unless you want to play on a 6 map max server. They have already released hardcore servers in the server browser so it would't even be worth renting to test this out.

Honestly If I do grab a server this weekend it won't be for my personal "enjoyment" so to speak. More of an "Inform the community" purchase. I'll rip through it, log the info, limits etc and post the info. I'll do the same for HC of course.
  • Px-Progdogg

Honestly If I do grab a server this weekend it won't be for my personal "enjoyment" so to speak. More of an "Inform the community" purchase. I'll rip through it, log the info, limits etc and post the info. I'll do the same for HC of course.

Its a good thought, I believe there is another thread where this has been done. I was thinking about doing this on a 1 or 7 day rental myself but the problem is I just don't see the point at this stage, there are no admin commands at all so the info is literally in front of us. The options in its current state are really limited so I wouldn't imagine you will find anything worth reporting on. That and the fact its only 6 map rotation and they have released hardcore servers with apparent variations in server settings.

"Hardcore Servers are also available with the Fall Update. Playing on a Hardcore server, you might not be assisted by a minimap, crosshair, or the ability to spot enemies depending on the server settings."

The patch notes were definitely worth a read, some good updates in there. Rent-a-server is not part of that unfortunately. If you haven't checked them you can find them here.
  • Rev0verDrive

Its a good thought, I believe there is another thread where this has been done. I was thinking about doing this on a 1 or 7 day rental myself but the problem is I just don't see the point at this stage, there are no admin commands at all so the info is literally in front of us. The options in its current state are really limited so I wouldn't imagine you will find anything worth reporting on. That and the fact its only 6 map rotation and they have released hardcore servers with apparent variations in server settings.

"Hardcore Servers are also available with the Fall Update. Playing on a Hardcore server, you might not be assisted by a minimap, crosshair, or the ability to spot enemies depending on the server settings."

The patch notes were definitely worth a read, some good updates in there. Rent-a-server is not part of that unfortunately. If you haven't checked them you can find them here.

I read them.

As far as actual documentation in other threads it's kind of lacking. Limited pics/vid, no guides etc. There's also networking analytics and other "things" I want to run through as well.
  • GenTroy
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I was most looking forward to adjusting player count. 64 is just too much for just about all the current maps IMO. I'm assuming its a feature that will be added in the future, if not I don't think I would ever rent a server.
    Also, I don't understand the 6 map rotation, that's not even enough to run all the original maps, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by "6 map rotation".
  • M0nkeyL0ver
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Where is this statement located in the notes?
  • Px-Progdogg

It's not in the notes - its in the news release found here.
  • incapslap
    3513 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Wait, no matter what you do there can only be 6 maps?
  • Px-Progdogg
    incapslap wrote: »
    Wait, no matter what you do there can only be 6 maps?

From what I have read yes.
  • M0nkeyL0ver
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

So, this patch today is being rolled out in stages over the course of the next 48 hours? How intriguing/interesting....
  • Px-Progdogg

So, this patch today is being rolled out in stages over the course of the next 48 hours? How intriguing/interesting....

I believe the update has already happened, possibly not across all platforms. But you should be able to search for Hardcore servers now and custom servers in the server browser. There should be DICE Hardcore Servers with a variation on server settings. Another reason why not to rent a server.
  • Visegrip117
    1346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Anyone have any idea of when "coming soon" for more server options is?

I've never rented a server before but played on plenty of custom ones and loved them. And I was dead set on finally renting my own for this game. Well until I seen all these threads. Kinda bummed.