Knife comes out in close combat when it shouldn't

slappyJmarsden
105 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Whenever I get close to an enemy (by no means am I near him enough to even consider pulling my knife out) my knife automatically comes out resulting in a very quick death. They need to tighten up the distance. I can't tell you how many times I have died from this. Very very frustrating.

Comments

• GuineaPigFilms
    90 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Whenever I get close to an enemy (by no means am I near him enough to even consider pulling my knife out) my knife automatically comes out resulting in a very quick death. They need to tighten up the distance. I can't tell you how many times I have died from this. Very very frustrating.

Agreed, happens here to. Just changes to the knife for no reason and I cant change back.
  • Indigology
    392 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Really? Thats pretty strange, i haven't heard of that happening before.
  • COGSx86
    150 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    sounds like you need a bi-pod for your knife
  • DogMella
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Maybe you have a minor flinch or panic and you tense up, pressing the knife button. My knife button is the right stick, my aiming stick so I kind of tense up a bit and this happened to me in BF4
  • slappyJmarsden
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For the record I have been told before that I might be pushing in the right stick....NO not happening...my knife comes out when I get close to an enemy when pushing the FIRE button.

I am very surprised that more people don't have this issue. It happens very frequently. Like I said, the distance to which this happens needs to be tightened up..when my knife comes out there is no way I'm going to get a hit on my enemy because he is not within striking distance. That is what makes things so frustrating and 99% of the time is certain death. I'd post a video if I had one but I think you all get the general idea of what is happening.
  • Indigology
    392 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For the record I have been told before that I might be pushing in the right stick....NO not happening...my knife comes out when I get close to an enemy when pushing the FIRE button.

I am very surprised that more people don't have this issue. It happens very frequently. Like I said, the distance to which this happens needs to be tightened up..when my knife comes out there is no way I'm going to get a hit on my enemy because he is not within striking distance. That is what makes things so frustrating and 99% of the time is certain death. I'd post a video if I had one but I think you all get the general idea of what is happening.

Do you happen to have a second controller available to make sure that your current controller isnt defective somehow?
  • slappyJmarsden
    Indigology wrote: »
    Do you happen to have a second controller available to make sure that your current controller isnt defective somehow?

Good idea...I will give it a go.

• Sahnkal
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm familiar with this issue.It also happened in BF4. It has happened to me as far away as 2 metres from the enemy, and resulted in me dying by their knife. The reason was that he was closer to me than it looked on my screen.

It's super annoying because you shoot, auto-knife emerges, you backup to re-engage your gun and you might be lucky to survive. In BF4 we used to refer to it as "A Pat-Wafter" moment, as you flap about trying to engage the enemy.
  • BILLDOOR67
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Happens to me too recently. Only been the last few days. Might try another controller to see if it improves.
  • slappyJmarsden
    Ok...finally we have more people here to complain about this issue! Maybe it has something to do with netcode? The server thinks you are closer to the enemy than you really are? Low server tickrate? I have been victim to some instances where my knife comes out at ridiculously far distances while my enemy pumps my body full of bullets I'm running towards him like an idiot trying to stab him from 10 feet away...lol...

Just to reiterate this is not a matter of mistakenly pushing down the right stick...this happens when the fire button is being engaged.
  • BILLDOOR67
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Happened to me earlier. Was prone with an LMG when an enemy ran round the corner. Started shooting and then started flailing my knife around in the air like i was being attacked by a wasp. Surprised the enemy killed me and didnt die of laughter.
  • bisfhcrewPL
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited November 2016
    You have to change buttons layout for solider to 'alternative?'. Then knife is on B and laying under right stick, its more useful.
    I'm sure You hit right stick accidentally, because stress etc.
  • GreyBushNinja
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Believe me it is a battlefield thing since atleast bf3...I even changed controller setup and it still does it ....
  • smiggyg
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You have to change buttons layout for solider to 'alternative?'. Then knife is on B and laying under right stick, its more useful.
    I'm sure You hit right stick accidentally, because stress etc.

That's what I do. Switch controls to alternative. I must stress up and push that right stick in all the time. Lol. Weird thing is I don't have that problem with other FPS. Just DICE games since BF3. Only thing is I still get killed when I've got an enemy dead to rights because I'm always going prone when I don't want to. Still have a better chance over "air knifing" someone.
  • MARAUDER71
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DogMella wrote: »
    Maybe you have a minor flinch or panic and you tense up, pressing the knife button. My knife button is the right stick, my aiming stick so I kind of tense up a bit and this happened to me in BF4

Yup... Me too.. I have the elite controller, so I actually remapped this... Guys comes around a corner,, startled you, go to shoot.. And you're 10 feet away waving your knife at him... Pretty embarrassing way to go
  • slappyJmarsden
    edited November 2016

Believe me it is a battlefield thing since atleast bf3...I even changed controller setup and it still does it ....

Same here...I noticed it somewhat in BF4 but it is rampant in BF1.

I played for a little over half an hour today and it happened 3 times. Luckily I was able to refrain from tossing my controller against the wall.

It's a strange mechanic...I get a close-quarters kill with my shotgun and immediately afterwards my knife comes out in the stabbing animation and then quickly reverts back to my shotgun. Or, an enemy is right in front of me (but not within knifing distance) and instead of my shotgun firing my knife goes into the stabbing animation.
    It's nice to know that other people are also experiencing this problem and hopefully it gets addressed...as it is most definitely NOT an act of pushing down the right thumb stick in an act of panic or quick reaction. The important thing here is that the fire button is bringing out my knife.
    Post edited by slappyJmarsden on
  • Aragon0107
    38 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Any update on this issue? I have played a few weeks and am seeing this more and more, especially since I became aware of it. And yes it happens at long distance, up to ten meters. Even when using a shotgun you see the knife flash by between shots.

Why can't the auto knife be disabled? Who wants it? Is there any way to reduce the problem?

It's gotten to the point that I start wondering is this the reason that the Mondragon is so popular? And sniping? No one plays assault - not easy to assault using only a knife.
  • Aragon0107
    38 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Should add that I'm on PS4 but I guess it affects all platforms.
  • THAGURT
    418 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My melee is on B and crouch on thumbstick...never had this happen and I have put in some hours
  • Duff_McWhale
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    i've played the game regularly since mid november, and never once had this issue. noticed it a ton this week, driving me crazy. and no i'm not clicking the right stick. i was on fao fortress, went downstairs being cautious, a guy is around the corner it makes me pull out my knife but not for him so i just get gunned down. it's happened enough i've paid attention to each and made sure i didn't click the stick AND it's happening to my friends that are playing. i really hope they are aware and fix this.