The sci fi Cortana style voice overs are too detached and don't lead a team enough. Instead...

RabNebula
235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
edited November 2016
Neither man or womans is great. The womans voice is especially sci fi/disney/cortana/siri for the setting of the game. It completely detracts from the era hearing the overly produced "Objective lost" of each.
Instead, it would be awesome to have adaptive narrative. It could be given the voice of someone of each nation in the game. Not some fake stereotype Russian or German voice. Hire some proper voices from each country and make a bit of effort with the audio so it doesn't suck you out of the illusion every time you take an objective. It could say things like "Objective A is lost but the fight's not over yet" or "Objective B was an easy victory, no doubt there will be more resistance as we push on" if the flag objective was uncontested for example. It might also slip in some sub conscious tips to people so they don't always sit way back and not play an objective like if someone doesn't hit an objective in 5 minutes then it could say "Get in the fight man! We need to push on!". Other games utilised this adaptive narrative really well and it would really add more immersion to the game from an audio perspective while helping newer players understand more about what's going on if done well.
Post edited by RabNebula on

Comments

• theONEFORCE
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You can switch it to a man's voice under settings.
  • Kindley
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I know there's a male announcer, I just haven't tried it to know if it's good.
  • Press-2-Continue
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Or he could just switch it off completely.
  • xKMARTx
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    In using the male voice. Much better
  • RabNebula
    235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016

It's better but doesn't sound much better. Adaptive narrative would be so much better. Especially to urge the hill humpers to push on to objectives after a little while
  • AlotOfThunder
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    it would have been cool if the voiceover was from an officer yelling or something. either way i just turned her off.

actually when you send out orders you character yells it out so that helps.
  • theONEFORCE
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I find it more appealing than that Asian dude's voice in BF4 but that's just me.
  • RabNebula
    I find it more appealing than that Asian dude's voice in BF4 but that's just me.

And what about the idea of the more immersive adaptive narrative like I suggested?
  • RabNebula
    it would have been cool if the voiceover was from an officer yelling or something. either way i just turned her off.

actually when you send out orders you character yells it out so that helps.

Glad you get the idea!
  • ChickNFoot
    1627 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Why would it make any sense to have an officer yelling in your ear magically over a simple other voice magically yelling in your ear? Just one makes sense but once again it's magically happening, not radio or in game commands, just happens. Neither would make any sense logically so let's drop that.

All the announcer voice does is allows a simple and easy to understand voice to let players know something is being captured. You don't need it so you can shut it off.
    If you want immersion just shut the announcer voice off and have the squad leader issue orders.
  • SamuellAxe
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I find the woman's voice rather soothing amidst all the chaos and violence, as she calmly informs you that your team's losing everything and you're gonna lose badly.
  • disposalist
    8504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I like it. She's like a war-room radio comms announcer and, for me, is exactly as she should be and would have been in that setting. Speaking precisely, correctly and calmly - a 'BBC' voice giving battlefield updates.

It's perhaps a little to hi-def - should maybe be a bit more 'radio' quality, but I'm quite happy and find it immersive.
  • crabman169
    12841 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I use the male announcer; can't stand female ones

If you want true immersion turn off and disable the announcer. Your teammates will be just if not more vocal as well as your own character.
  • gamingwithlofty
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Never new this!! cant wait to go home and try, i'm just giggling to myself at work because i have the image of it being a realy **** londoners voice for some reason ha?
  • RabNebula
    edited November 2016
    ChickNFoot wrote: »
    Why would it make any sense to have an officer yelling in your ear magically over a simple other voice magically yelling in your ear? Just one makes sense but once again it's magically happening, not radio or in game commands, just happens. Neither would make any sense logically so let's drop that.

All the announcer voice does is allows a simple and easy to understand voice to let players know something is being captured. You don't need it so you can shut it off.
    If you want immersion just shut the announcer voice off and have the squad leader issue orders.

No let's not "drop that". It's more about the language, the sound and the words used making it sound a little more human and relatable so people engage with it more rather than some quite computery robotic sounding voice. If they were to flavour the phrases a little more and add more of them for various situations then it can encourage players to step up and play their roles smarter while making it a little more immersive.
    As I said, it's not just about objectives. Lets say there were an audio option which you are able to switch off after you hit level 25 that would say things to medics specifically like "You're the medic!!! Get that man to his feet! We don't leave anyone behind!" or to assault guys prompting them to maybe actually use their rocket guns or tank grenades on a field gun or tank instead of trying to snipe people or burn their grenades up on hail mary throws. Maybe if it had something like this then there would be less times like the other day when I was on Argonne Forest the other day as the teams only medic and there was a field gun on the B bunker just ripping our 18!!!! Assault guys to bits so I had to switch to Assault to destroy it because absolutely none of our 18 assaults had thought to destroy the field gun. It's not just about immersion, its about leading a team and having a voice that can also help new players understand their roles more without sucking them out of the experience of the fight too much. It can urge a team to stop sitting on a hill, get toward playing the objective and just generally make Battlefield a more accessible and enjoyable experience encouraging teamwork a little better than it currently does.
  • RabNebula
    SamuellAxe wrote: »
    I find the woman's voice rather soothing amidst all the chaos and violence, as she calmly informs you that your team's losing everything and you're gonna lose badly.

Haha thats exactly the problem! She's so passive and emotionless. A more flavoured voice with a little analysis attached could pump a team up a bit more to push harder and more thoughtfully rather than having people get scared and switch to scout to sit back hoping someone, ANYBODDDDDYYYY!!!! but them will push the team forward. I've lost count of how many times in modes like Rush where most of the team has been sat on top of the building on Ballroom Blitz and its been just 1 or 2 guys left to push the objective.