Weekly Debrief

Re: An Announcement from Alexander Hassoon Regarding RSP

Px-Progdogg
442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Firstly I would like to thank Ali for introducing the RSP to BF1, your vision for RSP so far is recognised and I hope that vision becomes reality sooner rather than later. To a point I understand the decision to move from third party providers to "in-house" providers so that the quality was consistent for all platforms. What I don't particularly agree with was creating a blanket system for all platforms which inevitably will be detrimental to the PC community.

Consoles and PC's. They are different. BF1's UI feels like I am browsing through a console menu and it feels like this was done in a way to equalise the gap between PC and Consoles, or give PC a console experience, I am unsure which one yet. Typically this would seem fair though for us on PC it is not. Our options and customisation have been watered down heavily.
Previously Rent-a-Server was handled in-game on console by EA while PC was handled outside the game client by third-party providers. This setup gave PC server admins a large amount of control on the game server but often at the cost of the overall player experience.

PC has always had a great range of options when it comes to games, we can host our own servers, rent servers from providers, create unique games and most importantly build great long lasting communities in games because of the endless experiences we can create in a single game. The player experience hasn't been ruined by this, I cannot state this enough, this has created a wider array of unique gameplay and kept previous titles relevant and enjoyable years after release. There is a reason custom servers are more popular than DICE Official servers on PC.

I know there have been a lot of complaints about what we can and can't do with servers in BF1 and the PC community has been more vocal on this issue. I know options are coming but there is still a lot of depth missing even if admin tools are introduced. I have visited many clan websites, signed up to engage in community discussions, browsed their server listings on their website, seen stats and current players, browsed all custom servers in battlelog looking for something that I might enjoy. There are so many custom options in BF4 that you can find anything to get your gaming fix and using procon boosts that customisability and uniqueness 10 fold. None of this exists in BF1.

Instead we have a server browser that has DICE and Vanilla Experience written all over it. I change filter settings and even search Hardcore in the name filter, what comes up? More Vanilla Hardcore DICE servers. So I change our server to the same settings as DICE Vanilla Hardcore, search my region and what pops up? Nothing but Hardcore DICE servers, my server is set the same way as a DICE server yet it wont show up. I can't browse ALL custom servers because there are so many DICE servers and the list ends at the first 50 servers (you have to be specific in what you want to find the server you want) Furthermore I do the same with region set to Oceania and it shows 15 DICE Vanilla Hardcore servers, no BLS, no Paradox, no BALZ, none of the servers I know exist by word of mouth (the only way to know they exist). The only way to find a server is searching by name. Sure we can get some traffic if we stay vanilla but thats the problem, most communities rent a server to be different. The server browser is a huge step backwards from Battlelog and needs some hefty work.

We need to be able to have a description on the loading screen with branding, restrictions, rulesets and server info. Our server is redundant without this, no one knows where they are playing or what community they are playing with. We may as well just give DICE some cash to host another DICE server.

Communities are built on catering to their player base, not being force fed a vanilla experience.

So what I think needs to be done is have 2 server browsers. One for DICE Official or Vanilla Softcore and Hardcore and another for Community Run servers both Softcore and Hardcore. Currently the only reason to rent a server is to name it, its near impossible to get noticed, theres no promotion for servers, no branding in game, there is no depth, no reason to pay for it. We had 12 people on our server and they had to ask if it was a clan-run server. I don't want matchmaking traffic, I want people to see our server and WANT to join it. I want to be able to have a unique server with a ruleset and customisation that brings players back, not another renamed DICE server.

Comments

• Porthos1973
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    One simple solution is a check box in the filter that disables the viewing of DICE servers so only Community server show up.
  • PcPAirgun
    633 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They've sold their Game, next is incoming. Who needs Communities? EA? Nah...
  • -Q-DoePa
    89 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Exactly - "there is no depth" - BF1 is currently a boring, one dimensional experience. I have logged 47 hours in the game and I am already finding that i log in less and less.
  • DonkeyBanger
    235 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Server rental is a DISGUSTING joke!! No command and control, cannot kick or ban, cannot move players, NO PROCON access, no plugins AND you need 30 people to start the server on conquest!! Cannot properly balance the game (combat spm) so it doesn't end up one sided which it does time and time again!!! NO PRIORITY for CLAN members and VIP, so too bad if you're server is full because you can't get in and game on YOUR BLOODY SERVER!!!! 6 maps max and you cannot change the amount of gamers on different modes for example my BF3 & BF4 servers were known & LOVED for it's 64 man DOMINATION with no weapon restriction and no rules!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS???!!! DO NOT LIE and say it's for the benefit of the BF community because IT ISN'T!!!! YOU are deliberately killing off the clan community!!!!!!!!! The PC community doesn't give a rats **** about the console community and vice versa, that is why we GAME ON PC!!!!!!!! Way to go DICE, way to crap on the loyal BF PC gamers and the clans that MADE YOU, if it wasn't for us you would be another lowly parasite game company like the makers of COD!! Oh wait!!
  • NL73schietdammer
    506 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 2016
    They listen way too much to Aholes like levelcapgaming , look at this "Should Admins Have Full Control Of Our Multiplayer Experience? Battlefield 4" they just copy pasted this into bf1 which would be ok for quickmatch, but maybe we like our 3.200 tickets locker, or bf1 tdm with more then 24 players. Why would you make it all within to strict limits, yes we can now make 24 7 - only 1 map - servers which is great but we cant make for example a tdm server with 64 players. Why would you care if players want to go to such a server.

O i found this topic , changing the amount of players on a tdm server is going to change in the future. VIP slots (personally i don't care about that one) and more. https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/60201/coming-soon-to-the-rent-a-server-program/p1 Guess - just like the devision - the official dice people look more at reddit then here - same for uplay their divsion forum vs redit.

I like the approuch of every server the same quality, plus i also like that you can finally choose: NO explosives that you actually can't throw a grenade, instead of a plugin that kills/kicks after a nade kill.
    Post edited by NL73schietdammer on
  • Px-SneakstaArab
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Look Standard modes are fine but get boring after playing the same sort of mode with the same set of standard rules all the time. This is why Clan run servers are great. They mix up modes, player counts, weapon classes, vehicle spawns, ticket counts and more creating a vast experience of differing game modes that keep you entertained past the first 2 months of Vanilla game play. When joining a custom server run by a Clan you would always check their rules, what weapon classes are allowed, is there vehicles, is abuse monitored, how popular the server's community is and last but not least (which is most important imo) is it run by a friendly clan who try to provide a clean fun gaming environment. I'm a father of 4 and my 3 oldest kids loving playing games also, but I always check out the multiplayer community and see how vile it is or is it rather safe with minimal abuse and name calling and if it meets my preferences of a safe environment I will let them join on that server so they can enjoy some multiplayer gaming without being abused by some troll. This happens far too often on console and is a reason why they are no longer allowed to play xbox online. This was a major factor in my decision to ask Prog to get a server so I knew for a fact that my son had a safe server to play on and enjoy some Battlefield. Remember EA/DICE whatever you do it will always pee someone off so how about peeing off the console community as they simply trade in their games for new one's within 6 months anyway's where as on PC we keep them forever to come back to later on and enjoy all over again because of how good customization is for games on PC.
  • Px-Progdogg
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    At this rate I wont be renewing. We have a server for testing the waters and the lake has dried up already.

On one hand, if we keep our servers vanilla (completely) we can manage to get some people in the server. They don't know its our server, they just know its a vanilla server because the matchmaking threw them in there. They wont favourite the server because there is nothing special about it and again, they don't know that we own it because there is no branding whatsoever.

On the other hand if we set custom settings (same as DICE Hardcore) we don't show in the server browser unless browsing by name, but matchmaking will add a small amount of people and again no one knows that it is a clan run server because matchmaking put them there so they wont favourite it.

I haven't yet been able to find my server without searching by name. This means you need 20 people to join by word of mouth to even get a game started on anything other than vanilla settings, no one will see the server in the browser so it is essentially a dead server.

So, we are paying to rename a DICE server. Nothing else. If we want to change any settings that are non-vanilla we are punished with zero players joining.
  • Jabaariyn
    314 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2016
    Well said!

Personally, i think they won't give us the control we're accustom to, for the very reason Px-ProgDogg mentioned, that it prolongs the life of the game. And that doesn't necessarily mean more money in EA/DICE pocket. Because chances are 6,7 out of 10 people are going to pre-order the new title, and move on to that, and that's where the money is.

I kind of wish i didn't rent for 180 days, but it was a significant discount if you break it down on a per month basis. Though i still have a shred of hope that EA/DICE isn't going to completely shaft us, but just a shred..

Even my Vanilla server doesn't show up on the list, i have to search it by name? Though if i sit in it for a while it does fill up..but still, the current state of the SRP is disappointing to say the least.
  • Px-Progdogg

Even my Vanilla server doesn't show up on the list, i have to search it by name? Though if i sit in it for a while it does fill up..but still, the current state of the SRP is disappointing to say the least.

Yea the matchmaking is somewhat of a joke currently. Even if you change the settings to DICE Hardcore the server is still custom and wont get traffic, currently there is no way to populate a server due to the difficulty of even finding the server in the browser. Only Vanilla servers get traffic but even then it is only matchmaking traffic, as far as anyone joining knows its just another DICE server. I believe @Striterax has responded to another thread and possible changes to this are on the way, possibly a tick box for DICE and Rented servers.

The server browser just doesn't work with rented servers, we can no longer just browse servers like we could on Battlelog. Until this changes we definitely wont renew the server. We have tried since last Thursday and have still yet to get a game even started.
  • Tr3adst3r
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2016
    Maybe DICE/EA needs to replace Mr. Hassoon with someone more in touch with the actual product. Any other company that deployed such an incomplete product would have taken measures already.

Charging folks so that they can configure a server and then arranging it so that it is almost impossible to get it started and then once it started, there aren't any form of admin ability smacks of incompetence or rank stupidity.
  • TheRudeJudeTTV
    1750 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Man you guys just have it all figured out. "Softcore" and "hardcore" lol. I had some good chuckles skimming this
  • Jabaariyn
    314 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Yea the matchmaking is somewhat of a joke currently. Even if you change the settings to DICE Hardcore the server is still custom and wont get traffic, currently there is no way to populate a server due to the difficulty of even finding the server in the browser. Only Vanilla servers get traffic but even then it is only matchmaking traffic, as far as anyone joining knows its just another DICE server. I believe @Striterax has responded to another thread and possible changes to this are on the way, possibly a tick box for DICE and Rented servers.

The server browser just doesn't work with rented servers, we can no longer just browse servers like we could on Battlelog. Until this changes we definitely wont renew the server. We have tried since last Thursday and have still yet to get a game even started.

i know, but maybe "soon" lol
  • IKII-IKII
    148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This statement alone...
    Previously Rent-a-Server was handled in-game on console by EA while PC was handled outside the game client by third-party providers. This setup gave PC server admins a large amount of control on the game server but often at the cost of the overall player experience.

shows that you know nothing of your pc gaming community.

He has no clue.
    They created the game, we made the game what is today.
    Without us the series would not exist.

CEO dont care about us, their responsibility is to the owners, sock hilders not us nor their employees, they only care as much as it affects them.
    How ut affects them?, ...revenue, sales.

You take care of us, you will have a job at the end of the season, if you make it.

• Zeyr01
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I would compare the RSP to purchasing a car but you don't have a licence to drive it. But hey it has your name on the paperwork! Good for you.
  • IKII-IKII
    148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Still mothing....