Weekly BF

How to boost fps on AMD cards. Substantial gains

NabilH
142 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited November 2016
Guys this really does work i am not a noob.

i adjusted the flipqueuesize and got an excellent boost in fps in all maps, game is much smoother and the minimum and average fps is a lot better.

you can use radeonmod or adjust the values using regedit.

FlipQueueSize is the same as "Main3D_DEF as explained here on post 249 by the maker of radeonmod http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=403389&page=10

if you use radeonmod backup your registry first click on file then click backupreegistry and then In the UMD tab, change Main3D to 0x3100 and Main3D_DEF to 1 and restart driver.

Load bf1 and use ingame console or make a user.cfg and add the command " RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit -1"

you can play with the RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit command and try the values -1, 1,2 and 3. see what works best for you

-1 worked best for me.

if need be you can restore default settings using the restore defaults button in radeonmod.

if you want to use regedit instead of radeonmod use regedit and find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000n\UMD"

make a note of default values before you change anything so that you can revert back if need be. my default values were Main3D_DEF 3 and Main3D 33 00

change Main3d to "31 00" without the "

change Main3D_DEF to 1

Load bf1 and use ingame console or make a user.cfg and add the command " RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit -1"

you can play with the RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit command and try the values -1, 1,2 and 3. see what works best for you.

-1 worked best for me.

worked great on my system and gave a very substantial fps boost and far less fps drops which caused stuttering.

i now get a minimum of about 80 85 in very heavy scenes and usually average 90 to 100 fps all ultra TAA HBAO at 2560x1440, fps is far more stable now.

Hope this helps the community.

good luck!

Please post your results below.

Post edited by NabilH on

Comments

• NabilH

My system specs
    i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz 4.6 cache 1000mhz fclk
    motherboard gigabyte z170x gaming 7
    RAM 16gb ddr4 300mhz
    samsung 950 pro m.2 nvme drive
    GPU R9 Fury Nitro on stock clocks and maximum power limit.
    amd driver 16.11.4
    win10 pro 64bit
  • Sellis97
    167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 2016
    This makes no sense. Making the flipqueuesize lower than 1 is impossible. Gpu can never render an image without cpu processing it. Also the fps boost sounds stupid as well. For example setting the flipqueuesize to 1 would cause the cpu to render 1 frame before the gpu resulting in the lowest input lag. Changing this value to 4 would make the cpu render 4 frames before processing resulting in higher framerate but also higher input lag.

Edit: Changing the flipqueuesize to -1 or 0 is probably resetting the value to max value which is 4 atleast on Nvidia cards. The equivalent setting in Nvidia control panel is Max Pre Rendered Frames which is at 1 on default.

1=Usually lower framerates but lower input lag too
    4=Higer framerates and input lag

• NabilH
    edited November 2016
    you have not tried it have you?

-1 is the default for renderdevice.renderaheadlimit see here https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065670200225631/

in future could you please read my posts properly before posting rubbish.

i have no input lag and more fps

if you have nothing constructive to add please refrain from commenting.

• BigF33t_13
    6701 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 2016
    Obviously, whatever default is doesn't work well for most. I've tried 0 - 4 and 2 works best for me.

Op, it didn't do much for me, unfortunately. I have an older card though (hd7950). i'm not sure what the values do, so I can't really say that it will help everyone. But, it doesn't hurt to try.
  • NabilH
    edited November 2016
    worked very well for me, thats why i posted otherwise why bother.

in fact i am getting more fps than some people who have posted here with 1080 gpu.
  • BigF33t_13
    6701 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    NabilH wrote: »
    worked very well for me, thats why i posted otherwise why bother.

I hope it helps some people out. It just didn't work for me. I'm sure part of the reason is I have to cap my frames to keep my cpu usage down and my gpu usage up. I uncapped my frames, and although I probably got a few fps boost, I'd still get drops in to the low 50's. Capped it barely dips below 70.
  • Sellis97
    167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 2016
    you have not tried it have you?

-1 is the default for renderdevice.renderaheadlimit see here https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065670200225631/

in future could you please read my posts properly before posting rubbish.

i have no input lag and more fps

if you have nothing constructive to add please refrain from commenting.

I am so close to flaming you. Rubbish? You have clearly no idea what you are talking about. Do you know anything about rendering frames?
    Also the link says that -1 value means that the game will use the drivers default setting. Which makes sense because it's IMPOSSIBLE to set the render ahead limit to -1. You just can't have the cpu processing no frames. It doesn't work like that. Setting the value to -1 would mean in theory that the cpu freaking deletes 1 frame from the frame que.
    Setting my pre rendered frames to 2 gives me about 10fps more with a cost of input lag. And did you know you can change the value inside the game?
    With v-sync off the input lag isn't too bad when the pre rendered frames is set to 2 but it is noticable if you have been playing fps games for a long time.
    Settting the Main3D_DEF to 1 means that you are setting the pre rendered frames limit to 1.

Now stop trying to be a tech guru when you're clearly not.
    I also DID read you whole post.

Here is a quote from a Nvidia moderator:
    "You can't have zero pre-rendered frames. That just doesn't work. It isn't a matter of opinion; it's how the 3D rendering pipeline flows. The CPU has to do a lot of stuff - set up vertices, collision detection, AI behavior, interface updates, data streaming, audio processing, hard-body physics, network communication, whatever the game needs - before the GPU can even begin working on a frame. If you don't do this before the GPU finishes drawing into its back buffer, it's just going to stall with nothing to do because it'll have to wait for the CPU to finish doing what it could have already done."

ps. setting your power limit to maxium on your gpu doesn't help at all if you aren't overclocking.
  • NabilH
    edited November 2016
    -1 is the default value i never said it sets flipqueuesize to -1 which you pointed out in your foolish first post.

your just looking for an argument.

your barking up the wrong tree again, go take a hike.

setting power limit to maximum stops the device removed error on my gpu.

go troll elsewhere ....do one.

go argue with someone else.
  • Scrubuffleupagus
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    -1 is the default value i never said it sets flipqueuesize to -1 which you pointed out in your foolish first post.

While I'm sure other AMD users such as myself appreciate your effort the fix you are suggesting is nothing but snake oil as NabilH points out. Sorry OP!
  • Ze_Ebobg
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    ...or buying a nvidia card xD
  • Sellis97

You are calling me a troller and trying to avoid answering any arguments that I made. Typical response when people know they are wrong.
    You are basically saying that people should set their flipquesize to the default value? Guess what genius? They already are if the user hasn't changed it in the past.
    I am done talking to you. Maybe you should do an Youtube video and scam people to do this to get views.
  • NabilH
    edited November 2016
    Robo_Putin wrote: »

While I'm sure other AMD users such as myself appreciate your effort the fix you are suggesting is nothing but snake oil [/quote]

FACT:- radeonmod is used to adjust flipqueuesize which can improve fps in many games.

• Scrubuffleupagus
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Robo_Putin wrote: »

While I'm sure other AMD users such as myself appreciate your effort the fix you are suggesting is nothing but snake oil

FACT:- radeonmod is used to adjust flipqueuesize which can improve fps in many games.

[/quote]

I think you french fried when you should have pizza'd on that quote. Yeah changing it can help depending on the circumstances and what you are trying to achieve. Im not feeling like adding the input lag and added frame latency in an FPS.
  • Marks-Lenin-Mao
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    YOU BEST :D BRAT
  • Titan_Awaken
    804 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    YOU BEST :D BRAT
    You're almost 3 years late to the party, pal.

/necro