WHY EA/DICE flounder with Battlefield so badly and how the biggest titles get to be so popular

2»

Comments

• EpitaxialOne
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There's no money in the competitive scene for them and, most importantly, this franchise isn't designed for it. On the contrary, with each passing iteration, this franchise goes more and more casual-friendly and further away from those of us who've been around since BF1942. Why? Because gaming is so mainstream the vast majority of their revenue are casual (and console) players with disposable income.

The "balance" is laughable with huge error bars around it because most of the playerbase doesn't care so they don't have to be concerned with it. No company designs/updates/refines solely for the tail of the player distribution as that's not what's paying the bills.
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There's no money in the competitive scene for them and, most importantly, this franchise isn't designed for it. On the contrary, with each passing iteration, this franchise goes more and more casual-friendly and further away from those of us who've been around since BF1942. Why? Because gaming is so mainstream the vast majority of their revenue are casual (and console) players with disposable income.

The "balance" is laughable with huge error bars around it because most of the playerbase doesn't care so they don't have to be concerned with it. No company designs/updates/refines solely for the tail of the player distribution as that's not what's paying the bills.

The money would come with an actual community, which isn't allowed to properly form due to the environment EA/DICE has created (see my full post for an elaborate explanation). An expansion of their player base would only add to their bottom line, and resources to allow such a thing would be minimal. I didn't mention this in my post, but it's beyond me why some of these companies don't just take some advertising money and throw it at a tournament of some kind. Maybe they know their game is so awful that being showcased in the spotlight would actually tarnish their image as opposed to being constantly in front of an overwhelming majority of casual players.
  • PeterLA69
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »

The money would come with an actual community, which isn't allowed to properly form due to the environment EA/DICE has created (see my full post for an elaborate explanation). An expansion of their player base would only add to their bottom line, and resources to allow such a thing would be minimal. I didn't mention this in my post, but it's beyond me why some of these companies don't just take some advertising money and throw it at a tournament of some kind. Maybe they know their game is so awful that being showcased in the spotlight would actually tarnish their image as opposed to being constantly in front of an overwhelming majority of casual players.

You can play for a $1 million in the Madden Tournaments...That is EA's Competitive game..

EDIT: and with their exclusive deal with the NFL - NO competition..
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sa1ty_Samm wrote: »
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »

You can play for a $1 million in the Madden Tournaments...That is EA's Competitive game..

EDIT: and with their exclusive deal with the NFL - NO competition..

http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/most-prize-money-awarded

Just take a look at where EA's pathetic games reside on this list. We're talking about something that could be rivaling the major professional sports in a decade or less.
  • Ronin0ni
    1758 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Self promo for your blog?

Yeah, no thanks.
  • 0SiGHT0
    Ronin0ni wrote: »
    Self promo for your blog?

Yeah, no thanks.

DId you even read any of it, like in the OP? I have no ads on the blog or anything else for that matter but the posts. Trolls don't seem to contribute much to the conversation anyway.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    oJU5T1No wrote: »
    sinisterNL wrote: »
    As long as they keep using the Frostshite engine this franchise will never have eSports.

Id rather frostbite over the 20 year old engine cod has

I assume you think Titanfall 2 runs on a 20 year old engine as well?
  • disposalist
    8680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    "Floundering" in the eSports/Competitive arena is just fine with me. Most people do *not* see 'pro' play style as a good thing.