BF1 Server Rental Review

2»

Comments

• Tr3adst3r
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

kW1VF8p.jpg

+1 For the memories, been a loong time since i have seen that!
  • Rev0verDrive
    6722 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Treadster wrote: »

kW1VF8p.jpg

+1 For the memories, been a loong time since i have seen that!

Just made that pic. ;)
  • Jabaariyn
    314 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Here's another view of the current RSP: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/5d3wmj/first_experience_with_renting_a_private_server/
    I can't believe they are asking money for this.

It's funny, more info on Reddit, than the "Official" Battlefield Forums?

Thanks for the link.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6722 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Here's another view of the current RSP: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/5d3wmj/first_experience_with_renting_a_private_server/
    I can't believe they are asking money for this.

It's funny, more info on Reddit, than the "Official" Battlefield Forums?

Thanks for the link.

The meaty fact based part of the linked conversation.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/5d3wmj/first_experience_with_renting_a_private_server/da1oxtm/

The best place to get answers is through the devs personal twitter accounts.
  • Ice0rb
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Ice0rb wrote: »
    As the RSP evolves and more communities purchase servers, DICE will remove theirs. I say evolve, because the RSP is 100% new code. It's all being developed from the ground up from scratch. New features and functionality are being developed. There's a rather large list of features coming.

Long term you need to realise that the RSP they are building now is what we'll use in future titles. So it is in their best interest to get this done correctly.

RSP has been around since BF4.

As in, the current method of renting directly from EA has been around since BF4. (Specifically consoles.) In that iteration of RSP we pretty much had everything one would need to properly admin a server. Features like kick, ban, vip lists, and multi admin support. You could also set more than 6 maps (!!) and mix/match any combination of maps modes you wanted. RSP is only a new thing to PC and while I definitely can't speak to how hard/easy it was to bring to this platform I can at least look back at what they had before and question why they weren't able to match at least THAT before releasing it on the masses.

The RSP for console may have been around since BF4 or even 3. But it wasn't running on cloud instances. This is a completely new setup. I do agree there should've been a bit more features and functionality on release though. But at the same time I remember the community dropping buckets of salty tears and wanting "Servers Now". Well they/we got them in their current state. Versus waiting a bit longer for something useable.

Actually it was even back then.

I3D is the company that EA has been using to provide servers for their games since Bad Company 2.

I3D is also the company that provides server resources for things like R6: Siege, CS:GO, Xbox Live, and Playstation Network.

Now if what you mean to say is that BF1 will mark the first time that EA uses Azure and AWS in combination with I3D that's pretty cool but still doesn't really change that they've been utilizing cloud hosting for a long time. The big difference this time around is now I3D is not being allowed to do direct business with EA's customers and allow them to rent dedicated boxes for an additional cost.

Also yeah anyone looking for actual info should just be hitting up their twitter or the subreddit for this game. But don't harass them, lord knows they probably get enough of that.
  • NetRngr
    567 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I hear you guys and I understand. The RSP as it currently sits is crap from a consumer's perspective. As a developer I would never and have never released a product in that functional state.

I really do think the initial approach was going to be 3rd party providers and at a late stage decided to go cloud based. It's the only thing that makes sense from a dev standpoint for the late rollout and such little code base, features, and functionality. It all feels so last minute. I know you can't code for an environment until that environment is known and solidified. Stability/Build of the server architecture in itself could've been the holdup. /shrug ... whoTF knows!?!?!?!

I do know what we want in features are coming and then some. When? I haven't been able to dig that info up. But, I'm just as agitated with the "soon™" statements as everyone else.

@NetRngr
    As for costs BC2 through BF4 were exclusively Ranked Titles (consumers cannot access server files). GSP's were contracted by EA to provide "Day One Branded Servers" and provide rentals for the consumer base. Only contracted GSP's could provide these servers. Each GSP was required by contract to host X number of servers until the consumer base rented a percentage of the set share. Once that percentage threshold was met they were allowed to retire a branded server for each new rental they acquired. Also according to some GSP's they were required to pay a license fee to EA for each slot rented. The costs were from $0.35 to $0.37 per slot (e.g. 10 slot fee up to $3.70 per month).

EA/DICE never paid a nickel for a server under the Ranked Title format. Prior to the exclusive ranked title program EA paid for a limited number of servers for the first month or so.

BF1942 and BF Vietnam shipped with dedicated server files as part of the retail game copy. This included a server management utility (rcon). You could host locally or rent a server and install the files yourself manually.... old school.

kW1VF8p.jpg

BF2 and BF2142 offered dedicated server files in a downloadable package. They also contracted with GSP's to provide "Ranked" servers. Yet anyone could download the server files and setup a localhost server or manually set one up with a rented server.

Now every single official DICE - EA branded server in BF1 is paid for by EA. The entire cost.

Understood. My point was RSP servers have in the past been, as you stated, via awarded contracts with third party vendors which as rented absolved EA/DICE of monetary responsibility. They also collected a royalty. They decided they wanted to have sole ownership of said servers/ Cloud Base which, considering the DDoS attacks early on, seems like a pretty bad move.
    I will give them that they are building this on a new platform but they stated very early on when asked about servers that they would be selling them and that there would be no 3rd party providers. Not knowing the reasoning behind this we are left to guess but i assume this was the plan from the beginning. Given that and the fact that they Hired a ProCon dev you would think they would have had this in development concurrently for a good while or should have. They also are using a known code base. They hosted servers built on the new Frostbite engine for SW Battlefront.
    What it appears is they just grabbed the server files for that and modified it to fit the BF1 variables. Since there were no rental servers for SWBF there were no real admin controls and well that's what we got. I don't doubt that they are working on it and that eventually it will measure up however, releasing it as a finished product, which it isn't, and charging paying customers to basically be guinea pigs while they code what should have been in the release as a minimum is wrong and should not have been done.
    They refuse to discuss matters on the official forums instead rely on social media to speak and give info. Again this thinking is 180 degrees out from what it should be. I hope they can turn it around quickly but TBH I already see a lot of damage done and do not think BF1 will have the staying power it should simply due to the seriously unprofessional way the RSP was implemented and handled from the get go.
  • Rev0verDrive
    NetRngr wrote: »
    I hear you guys and I understand. The RSP as it currently sits is crap from a consumer's perspective. As a developer I would never and have never released a product in that functional state.

I really do think the initial approach was going to be 3rd party providers and at a late stage decided to go cloud based. It's the only thing that makes sense from a dev standpoint for the late rollout and such little code base, features, and functionality. It all feels so last minute. I know you can't code for an environment until that environment is known and solidified. Stability/Build of the server architecture in itself could've been the holdup. /shrug ... whoTF knows!?!?!?!

I do know what we want in features are coming and then some. When? I haven't been able to dig that info up. But, I'm just as agitated with the "soon™" statements as everyone else.

@NetRngr
    As for costs BC2 through BF4 were exclusively Ranked Titles (consumers cannot access server files). GSP's were contracted by EA to provide "Day One Branded Servers" and provide rentals for the consumer base. Only contracted GSP's could provide these servers. Each GSP was required by contract to host X number of servers until the consumer base rented a percentage of the set share. Once that percentage threshold was met they were allowed to retire a branded server for each new rental they acquired. Also according to some GSP's they were required to pay a license fee to EA for each slot rented. The costs were from $0.35 to $0.37 per slot (e.g. 10 slot fee up to $3.70 per month).

EA/DICE never paid a nickel for a server under the Ranked Title format. Prior to the exclusive ranked title program EA paid for a limited number of servers for the first month or so.

BF1942 and BF Vietnam shipped with dedicated server files as part of the retail game copy. This included a server management utility (rcon). You could host locally or rent a server and install the files yourself manually.... old school.

kW1VF8p.jpg

BF2 and BF2142 offered dedicated server files in a downloadable package. They also contracted with GSP's to provide "Ranked" servers. Yet anyone could download the server files and setup a localhost server or manually set one up with a rented server.

Now every single official DICE - EA branded server in BF1 is paid for by EA. The entire cost.

Understood. My point was RSP servers have in the past been, as you stated, via awarded contracts with third party vendors which as rented absolved EA/DICE of monetary responsibility. They also collected a royalty. They decided they wanted to have sole ownership of said servers/ Cloud Base which, considering the DDoS attacks early on, seems like a pretty bad move.

I will give them that they are building this on a new platform but they stated very early on when asked about servers that they would be selling them and that there would be no 3rd party providers. Not knowing the reasoning behind this we are left to guess but i assume this was the plan from the beginning. Given that and the fact that they Hired a ProCon dev you would think they would have had this in development concurrently for a good while or should have. They also are using a known code base. They hosted servers built on the new Frostbite engine for SW Battlefront.

What it appears is they just grabbed the server files for that and modified it to fit the BF1 variables. Since there were no rental servers for SWBF there were no real admin controls and well that's what we got. I don't doubt that they are working on it and that eventually it will measure up however, releasing it as a finished product, which it isn't, and charging paying customers to basically be guinea pigs while they code what should have been in the release as a minimum is wrong and should not have been done.
    They refuse to discuss matters on the official forums instead rely on social media to speak and give info. Again this thinking is 180 degrees out from what it should be. I hope they can turn it around quickly but TBH I already see a lot of damage done and do not think BF1 will have the staying power it should simply due to the seriously unprofessional way the RSP was implemented and handled from the get go.

From my understanding and research they are using the TF2 setup which is a very new platform for EA. I don't know much at all about the server backend setup of SWBF, so I cannot speak on it. I do know the TF2 platform and I have extensive experience working directly with AWS and Azure. Long term the cloud setup is the better way to go for at least Ranked Title games. Drop the rank/progression garbage and 3rd parties are once again viable.

DDOS ...
    You know or should know that DDOS on BF titles as a whole are directed specifically at EA's Blaze Network. This network routes and controls Origin logins/sessions and game server connections/sessions. When it's hit it affects these connections, not the servers themselves. The BF1 hit we saw early on took out Origin and quite a few other games. Yet not one actual game server was hit/affected directly. Only infighting ever results in a direct server attack such as the RTR/CMW conflict. Thus the reason why server IP's aren't published directly in BL anymore. You have to pull the servers json feed to get it now. ;)

As I stated before It was released too early, but the community was crying for something and they got that something. A Beta RSP.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Take some solace in that the longer it takes them to get this right, the more money they are having to shell out.

I would like to take solace, but I think that it will (1) take them much longer than anyone is willing to wait to "get this right" and (2) clans/groups will stop shelling out money so they will eventually kill the RSP program (or stop improving it) as doing so will be shown to be not a profitable endeavor. Such huge potential in this game to be a true groundbreaker and establish a broad base of users. This game could be great for casual and veterans, console and PC, run-and-gunners and tactical group players, and singles and clans, but they seem to be p*ssing away the opportunity (all to the side of the casual, single, run-and-gunner, console players)
  • Rev0verDrive
    westyjoe wrote: »
    Take some solace in that the longer it takes them to get this right, the more money they are having to shell out.

I would like to take solace, but I think that it will (1) take them much longer than anyone is willing to wait to "get this right" and (2) clans/groups will stop shelling out money so they will eventually kill the RSP program (or stop improving it) as doing so will be shown to be not a profitable endeavor. Such huge potential in this game to be a true groundbreaker and establish a broad base of users. This game could be great for casual and veterans, console and PC, run-and-gunners and tactical group players, and singles and clans, but they seem to be p*ssing away the opportunity (all to the side of the casual, single, run-and-gunner, console players)

You need to look a bit further down the road. It's in their greatest of interest to get the RSP up to snuff. Future titles will be using it.
  • Fraggle306
    252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

You need to look a bit further down the road. It's in their greatest of interest to get the RSP up to snuff. Future titles will be using it.

They might plan to use it for StarWars:Battlefront 2 next year.

• westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I hope you're right because they are going to have to do significant improvements not only to make us want to pay for this RSP but to ever again pay for another BF title. The bridge is burning, and they are taking their sweet time to put it out. Hell, right now if they could fix two things, the kick ability and a reasonable number to start a round, they may actually get some clans to buy back in for a bit. Really, how hard is it for them to add those two and put it out in a very short time?
  • Rev0verDrive

I hope you're right because they are going to have to do significant improvements not only to make us want to pay for this RSP but to ever again pay for another BF title. The bridge is burning, and they are taking their sweet time to put it out. Hell, right now if they could fix two things, the kick ability and a reasonable number to start a round, they may actually get some clans to buy back in for a bit. Really, how hard is it for them to add those two and put it out in a very short time?

They'll get it done. I'm pretty confident in that. Ali did post a respectable list of "soon to come - we are working on" features on Reddit. "Already working on" means code has been drafted. That was 2 weeks ago. That list is what I'm speculating will be bundled in the Dec "Giant's Shadow" DLC drop.

The only thing slowing the process down is the required partnered sign offs.
  • Pitbruiser
    136 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

They'll get it done. I'm pretty confident in that. Ali did post a respectable list of "soon to come - we are working on" features on Reddit. "Already working on" means code has been drafted. That was 2 weeks ago. That list is what I'm speculating will be bundled in the Dec "Giant's Shadow" DLC drop.

What is your guess about when this DLC comes?
  • Rev0verDrive
    Pitbruiser wrote: »

What is your guess about when this DLC comes?

mostly if not everything in the posted reddit list .... possibly more. Password protection amongst a few other things were finished the day of or before that post.
  • GrotereBroer
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    We cancelled the rental of our "server" after 3 days and requested a refund.

The game in many ways was just not ready when EA launched it. (Hardcore, SRP, still servers are not well spread over Europe/Asia/Africa). It is like we bought a Beta version which will be forever in development (like e.g. Rust).

Of course they planned to introduce the Server Rental Program at a much later stage, because if they included that from the start a huge amount of players would have returned their game immediately for a refund. It cannot even be called a server. It is like financially supporting poor EA maintaining their servers. Paying money for some extra buttons to start a server with your own chosen name, which one only sees back when browsing the servers list. And you have to find 19 other players to enter "your" "server" as it will never be filled up automatically when you choose for Hardcore settings.

Besides that I have some doubts about hit-detection ,which one hears ofcourse in all kind of games, but honestly compared to BF4 I get a completely other experience of aiming/hitting players, which impossibly can be lead back to the player. It feels like a bug or maybe it has got to do with the geological position a player has in relation to the location of the server. Sometimes in the same game every hit is a hit and in the middle of the game I can shoot and aim what I want and even from a virtual meter from my opponent make zero damage to him. Not once or a few times, but none of the bullets seem like to register. Most of the times I reconnect to another server it is gone, but can regularly pop up any time.

I just mention this as it can have something to do with the location of servers. In BF4 I just sort on ping and if I have a ping of 2 the game for sure plays different, resulting in a better K/D then when playing on servers where I have a ping of e.g. 50 ms or above.

It is such a pity that the experience in a game with such superb graphics and creative design is being destroyed by these things. As I cannot return the game anymore I uninstalled the game and will install it again later to check if things are changed. If not it will go back into the closet and eat dust like BF Hardline and Star Wars already are doing and keep on playing BF4.

For sure I will never pre-order a game from EA anymore, but wait till the game runs like I expect it to run.

• NUAIMIO5
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I am renting server for 4 months now and it is empty all the time. They have too many of their own server in Europe !! Why EADIC have too many official servers, how they expected us to continue renting servers if all payers routed to their servers !!
    my server called BoomTownServer , i need players in my server or i will close it.

There is no even ticket support system to complain !!!!
  • BillBailey0
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What I want to know is, will I get a reminder when the server rental is up for renewal.
  • StarscreamUK
    7269 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    No you don't currently. But this is a necro and not really relating to the review.
This discussion has been closed.