High Ping (999), but speed test says 38

DICEfixREG2k13
27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hello,

Today i played some bf4, and it was all good until i disconnected to have dinner.
After, when i rejoined the server, my ping was stuck at 858/999ms. No one wasn't connected to the wifi,
my pc wasn't downloading any updates. I did a speed test from my phone and it was ping 39, dl 3,58 and upl 0,52.
After i did a speed test with my pc, ping 38ms, dl 4,09 and upl 0,49.
From task manager i see the wifi usage is like 120/130kbps when in game... it's all normal. I restarted my modem and my pc.
What's the problem?
I can play all other videogames with normale ping (50-60ms). I'm on widnows 10.

Comments

• McFoaners
    351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Wifi is bad for multiplayer games.
  • RustedRoot
    2709 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    FckMoaners wrote: »
    Wifi is bad for multiplayer games.

+1000
    It's actually inferior to Wired in every way.

OP - is there any possibility you can go wired instead of wireless?

If it is impossible for your to go wired, try the following:
    Go into Power Options (press the windows key and type "power options") and select high performance as your profile.
    Then go to Advanced settings, Wireless Adapter Settings, Power Saving Mode and choose Maximum Performance.
  • PlanoPete
    300 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Speed test gives you zero information for your problem. Did you perform a tracert to the server IP that you are trying to connect to? Most likely one of the routes is having issues.
  • DICEfixREG2k13
    I checked the power options, everything is okay. With my router i get again 999+ ping, same with my phone's data, i have 4gb (15-20mbps) and get 999+ ping.
    Today i'll try the wire cable.. hope to fix this problem. I'm getting Bf1, i'm curious to see if this'll happen even with it.
  • Strac_CRO
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    What region servers are you playing and from where?
  • DICEfixREG2k13
    Strac_CRO wrote: »
    What region servers are you playing and from where?

I'm from italy, i always played from german to american servers and never had problems.
    I tried with wired cable connection... still get that high ping. I already reset my pc to factory settings twice, doing win 10 clean install,
    downloaded and tried to fix the game from origin. I tried both x86 and x64 bit (i'm on 64, but i had problems in the past with it), and still get 999 ping.
    Bf1 is 75%, tomorrow morning i'll try to play and i'll tell you if it's a bf4 or not. I can play every other game (Wot, Lol and other with decent ping (55-70ms).
    Idk what's going on.
  • DICEfixREG2k13
    In bf1, wired or not, i still have ping 999ms. I'm not gonna quit bf, help me somehow.
  • Strac_CRO
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited December 2016
    reset router, change UPnP, tweak firewall etc.
    use CCleaner to clear web cache and fix registry
    scan PC with free Malwarebytes Antimalware
  • Frogtooth
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    In bf1, wired or not, i still have ping 999ms. I'm not gonna quit bf, help me somehow.
    Something is blocking ICMP packets. Your ISP, your router, your PC firewall...something.
  • DICEfixREG2k13
    Frogtooth wrote: »
    Something is blocking ICMP packets. Your ISP, your router, your PC firewall...something.

I tried wired from my phone (throught Usb port), everything is okay, ping 16-20ms. I can't use always my phone's data since i only have 3gb every month. What hould i do now?
  • RustedRoot
    2709 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited December 2016
    As Frogtooth said, something is blocking ICMP packets on your PC. I'm guessing router, ISP, junkware on your PC.

When you did a fresh install of Win 10 did you load ANY crap ware after that?
    Internet Security programs
    Third party firewall software
    Monitoring Software
    Overlays
    etc.
    Any of that junk can and will cause issues.

And stop comparing your PC to your phone. They are two different devices. This issue lies with your PC and it's OS/configuration or some junk running on it or your ISP or router.

Try setting your PC up as QOS in your Router.

EDIT: Also, I just re=read your post above me. If you get good PING wired through your phone then likely the issue lies with your router or something on your PC interfering with your network adapter.
  • Frogtooth
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Since you can make it work tethering through your phone, that means it's (probably) not your PC. Which leaves your router or your ISP as culprits. Check your router settings. See if there's anything in there to enable/disable pings (usually just a check box). As well, hunt for any settings that suggest they're doing some sort of packet filtering.
    And contact your ISP and ask 'em about blocking ICMP packets, particularly if you got the router from the ISP.
    I don't think the game uses standard ICMP pings. It uses an alternative ICMP packet type. Some providers block random ICMP packets because sometimes people try to do bad things with it. Several universities, for instance.
  • DICEfixREG2k13
    Contacted my isp, they've done some updates on my router and now it's all good, but only throught cable.
    Solution: if you wanna play without problems get a wired connection.
  • ackers75
    2637 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's no doubt a firewall issue on the router.