Only able to play using a VPN...why?

METASynoptics
8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I've had a strange problem which has haunted me since BF4, now on to BF1. Every 30 minutes (almost exactly) I get disconnected from the game and I get booted back to the browser screen telling me EA has gone offline. It happens at around 20 minutes and 50 minutes past every hour.

I've tried everything I can think of, going through all router settings, trying all EA solutions, recently tried reformatting and that did not solve it.

I've just tried using a VPN and....bingo!? Problem (seemingly) solved. Unfortunately using a VPN, even in London (which is only 56 miles away from me) results in my game being laggy as f*** and packet loss all over the place.

Why am I being forced to use a VPN to be able to stay connected to the EA servers and does any have a solution to this? :/

Thanks

P.S. Not using any Windows/Router firewall or Anti-Virus, this is basically a fresh install and I still get the problem!

Comments

• Sechnaill
    992 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    How did you resolve this problem when playing BF4?
  • AldermachXI
    1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Talk to your ISP. If going through a VPN works, that's a pretty clear indicator that BF isn't getting along with either an IP or DNS within your router's / ISP's settings.

Some ISPs aren't good for gaming. Like here in Canada, we have 2 "major" providers (Bell and Rogers). But if you go with a smaller company (i.e. TekSavvy) you'll get these sorts of errors. They just don't have the right things "open" on their end.

Talk to your ISP. Let them know you're trying to play online games and are encountering errors that you can only attribute to their service...
  • DeLtAuk2004
    1107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Who is your ISP?
  • METASynoptics
    @Sechnaill
    I didn't, I just gave up :/

@AldermachXI
    Thanks, I was wondering whether or not to contact them, and how to explain the issue (last time I tried a few months ago they just kept insisting it must of been a problem on my end).

@DeLtAuk2004
    Virgin Media

It only started about 4 months after buying BF4, this summer, I didn't change anything up to that point, same PC same ISP etc.
  • AldermachXI
    1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Do you have any connection issues with any other games?
  • DeLtAuk2004
    1107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @Sechnaill
    I didn't, I just gave up :/

@AldermachXI
    Thanks, I was wondering whether or not to contact them, and how to explain the issue (last time I tried a few months ago they just kept insisting it must of been a problem on my end).

@DeLtAuk2004
    Virgin Media

It only started about 4 months after buying BF4, this summer, I didn't change anything up to that point, same PC same ISP etc.

Hmmmm I'm on Virgin also have been sinse they were telewest .They are annoyingly without doubt the best provider in the UK for broadband .never had that issue .have you got the latest superhub? .or do you have old modem .
  • k33fy
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Does sound like an ISP issue. Earlier this year I had issues logging into Netflix on all my devices at home so I tried a wifi hotspot created by my phone and it logged in then I tried a VPN and had no problems. The problem has since been fixed and I can log in no problems.

• Sechnaill
    992 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    maybe there is something wrong with your router
  • METASynoptics
    @AldermachXI

I just loaded up COD4 and played for about an hour without any issues.. :/ Also I often play Civilization 5 and it runs fine online.

My router is the Superhub 2ac and was installed just over a year ago

It looks like the issue is isolated to just EA games.

What should I say to the ISP when I call them tomorrow, just everything I've said here or..?

Cheers
  • Tagar3la
    179 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    +1 maybe router problem
  • AldermachXI
    @AldermachXI

I just loaded up COD4 and played for about an hour without any issues.. :/ Also I often play Civilization 5 and it runs fine online.

My router is the Superhub 2ac and was installed just over a year ago

It looks like the issue is isolated to just EA games.

What should I say to the ISP when I call them tomorrow, just everything I've said here or..?

Cheers

I'd specify an issue with EA / newer games, since the games you''ve mentioned work fine are older..

Maybe simply inquire about a higher end router?
  • wIzd0m4
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I would suggest deleting origin cache files, as well check out the issues with origin going offline threads.

http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files/

also try some of these steps as they might help you out.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/How-to-Online-login-is-currently-unavailable/td-p/5019298

hope the best bro.
    wIz.
  • METASynoptics
    Thanks for the help guys. Just to give an update...

I called Virgin Media, apart from running a test on my router and telling me there is nothing wrong with it, they were pretty useless on the phone at helping in any way, the guy even tried to sell my an upgrade to the "gaming package"...lol

So I've given up trying to solve the problem with them, and I've had a closer look at VPN's. I signed up for the free trial of Vypr VPN, which seemed to work great last night, only a couple of disconnects in 4 hours, as opposed to every 30 mins. Problem is that they are quite expensive. Can anyone recommend a good free to use VPN (I've tried Avast and it was almost unplayable due to the lag)?

Cheers :)
  • -SaNiTeHH
    106 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    I can tell you 100% virgin media are your problem. And that gaming package your on about is 200 down 12 up (Vivid 200) but none of VM's package are for gaming that's just a gimmick. You may remember them having adverts banned that advertised them best for gamers a while back when in fact they are simply not good for gaming. VM are by far best for downloading stuff fast but SKY and BT are both better for gaming than VM. Thing is there upload speed sucks, Combine that with there unstable connection anyways (Because they over subscribe every area) and throttling your connection you tend to have more problems at peak time. Laggy games more often than not. I used to work for these clowns doing the installs in peoples homes. I switched to SKY 2 months ago and the difference in pings is incredible and double upload speed with 0 throttling even at peak. I suggest buying a gaming router and putting your superhub into modem only mode or use "DMZ" or setup a static ip address and forward some ports. Also you may want to check your superhubs power levels on "downstream" in "router status" as these can lead to problems also. specifically "power level (dbmv)" Them numbers should be between -3 to +7 if yours are higher or lower than that get an engineer out But the closer to 0 on all the better.
  • METASynoptics
    @-SaNiTeHH

Thanks for the advice mate. Interesting stuff. Power levels on the router are fine, that was one of the first things I checked, I've also got through every setting on my router to make sure nothing was out of place. I'm going to give them another call and tell them to send me a new router to see if that solves the problem, if not I'll take your advice and move to SKY I think.

I will run a test tonight, set my alarm for 4/5am and try and play a game of BF1 without any VPN's this time, see if it makes a difference like you say, with being throttled at peak times. If the game works then I guess that proves VM are the problem?...
  • ISShadowI
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    where did you buy the game from?.. there are many reasons of why this could be happening
  • -SaNiTeHH
    edited December 2016
    @-SaNiTeHH

Thanks for the advice mate. Interesting stuff. Power levels on the router are fine, that was one of the first things I checked, I've also got through every setting on my router to make sure nothing was out of place. I'm going to give them another call and tell them to send me a new router to see if that solves the problem, if not I'll take your advice and move to SKY I think.

I will run a test tonight, set my alarm for 4/5am and try and play a game of BF1 without any VPN's this time, see if it makes a difference like you say, with being throttled at peak times. If the game works then I guess that proves VM are the problem?...

Honestly the pings for me on VM with Multiple fps games were like 45+ms compared to now me being on sky they are 16,17,21ms e.c.t much improved. Sky fibre max is 76 down and 19 up slower download but you cant even really tell. More stable connection by far. VM run better early hours in the morning when every one else in the area is asleep id say from 12 midnight until about 7am but quite bad during the day. Honestly for everything other than gaming VM are great but i couldn't take it any longer and finally switched. I'm on the 40/10 fibre with sky and may upgrade to Fibre max in jan but this is already great for my needs so i may not even upgrade. Another thing to check is for a faulty attenuator (The little rectangle silver thing) they put on the Router they tend to fail fairly commonly. Check under security aswell and see if your firewall is blocking anything on the router.
  • labtud
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I called Virgin Media, apart from running a test on my router and telling me there is nothing wrong with it, they were pretty useless on the phone at helping in any way, the guy even tried to sell my an upgrade to the "gaming package"...lol

So I've given up trying to solve the problem with them, and I've had a closer look at VPN's. I signed up for the free trial of Vypr VPN, which seemed to work great last night, only a couple of disconnects in 4 hours, as opposed to every 30 mins. Problem is that they are quite expensive. Can anyone recommend a good free to use VPN (I've tried Avast and it was almost unplayable due to the lag)?

dude never call the virgin help number they are rubbish, if you go on the virgin support forum and set up a post you will get to speak with a helpful proper tech based in the uk. I had a problem with my line dropping all the time last year, tried the help phone number and they told me my line was fine. Then i went on the virgin support forum and they had found the issue. It was a long term exchange issue so they gave me 6 months half price broadband and upgraded my router foor free...

they are so helpful on the forum
  • -SaNiTeHH
    labtud wrote: »

dude never call the virgin help number they are rubbish, if you go on the virgin support forum and set up a post you will get to speak with a helpful proper tech based in the uk. I had a problem with my line dropping all the time last year, tried the help phone number and they told me my line was fine. Then i went on the virgin support forum and they had found the issue. It was a long term exchange issue so they gave me 6 months half price broadband and upgraded my router foor free...

they are so helpful on the forum

This is true
  • METASynoptics
    5896670088.png

This is fairly representative of what I usually get on a speedtest. This isn't bad (in my opinion?) it's just stability that is the issue. I turned on the " network performance graph" on Bf1 and (annoyingly) it didn't find anything unusual, I sat in a server watching it until it inevitably booted me out again and there was no ping spikes, no packet loss etc. :/

No firewall on, in fact, I never run any firewalls or anti virus ever (probably shouldn't announce that...lol)

I can see the attenuator, seems to be on pretty tight, is there a way to check it for faults?

I'll make a post on the Virgin Forums and report back, thanks :)