BF1 framerate limiter? (why can't I turn that fully off?)

topkekdude
112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I can only set it to my monitors refresh rate which is 165, and then I can put it on 200, but I have more than 200 fps, so why can't I turn that off??

Comments

• VonReisler
    570 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IMO this setting (and more that must go deeper) has screwed up the fluidity of the render as I get a kind of stuttering that's almost like screen tearing that wasn't there before the patch.
    And that's at over 100- 144 fps on 144hz freesync monitor. Maybe a driver fix from AMD is needed (using 16.12.1 latest), but even though I get higher fps after the patch it's definitely not as smooth as prior to it.
  • topkekdude
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    haha yeah seems OK for me. Only thing is, my two 1080's are scaling really bad, only 60-70% on max usage...

I guess we have to wait another month+ for this .. pathetic
  • D5RAT
    2003 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Can it not be turned off with a user cfg max fps 0 command anymore ?
  • labtud
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    wish it would allow to put in a value rather than have to match it to screens refresh rate, 60, 120,144 and so on. I have always like my fps 10fps above my screens refresh rate, oh well. first attempt to play a game and dx crash as soon as it loaded into the server.... loving this early crimbo pressy haha
  • Obi-Juan_Kebabi
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You can remove the frame cap by adding the command GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 0 to your config file. You can also this via the command line in-game, though you'll have to enter it every time you load a new map.
  • LostMyGolfBall
    1041 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I just leave it set to 200 and use Gametime.maxvariablefps 144 in user.cfg.

Everything is nice and smooth. If you have a 165Hz monitor use gametime.maxvariablefps 165. There is absolutely no point in having anything higher than your monitor can display.

Fierce.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1602 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    4realmad wrote: »

I can only set it to my monitors refresh rate which is 165, and then I can put it on 200, but I have more than 200 fps, so why can't I turn that off??

You can - enter gametime.maxvariablefps 0 in a config file or in the console. as Obi-Juan_Kebabi has said above.
    VonReisler wrote: »
    IMO this setting (and more that must go deeper) has screwed up the fluidity of the render as I get a kind of stuttering that's almost like screen tearing that wasn't there before the patch.
    And that's at over 100- 144 fps on 144hz freesync monitor. Maybe a driver fix from AMD is needed (using 16.12.1 latest), but even though I get higher fps after the patch it's definitely not as smooth as prior to it.

Incorrect, and vaguely paranoid and delusional (sorry!) all this change has done is expose the existing gametime.maxvariablefps console command (in-game limiter that has always been there) in the options menu. This is so people who don't know how to use the console and have no intention of learning can use it. The default value is 200, and it has always been 200, well before the patch. The stuttering problems you have are not caused by this. To clarify, there is not two limiters in the game now, it just the same one that was there before, but with a UI parameter.
    labtud wrote: »
    wish it would allow to put in a value rather than have to match it to screens refresh rate, 60, 120,144 and so on. I have always like my fps 10fps above my screens refresh rate, oh well. first attempt to play a game and dx crash as soon as it loaded into the server.... loving this early crimbo pressy haha

If you enter a config file, or console command with gametime.maxvariablefps (any number) in it, then it will override whatever is in the options menu. you can set it at 125 fps if you want, or anything else, it will just not be shown in the options menu.

• Modski
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have a 144hz BenQ monitor, a GTX 1070 8gb ddr5, i5 6600k skylake and 16gb ddr4 RAM.

Should I lower the value to 144hz because I have a 144hz monitor? Or should I just leave it on 200 as by default? Will it somehow improve anything for me? I could not tell any FPS change really from turning it down to 144hz.
  • Remiwinkz
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You do not want your FPS going over the refresh rate of your monitor. It overworks your GPU and causes screen tearing. The last time someone investigated and did a write up on this it was found that the best settings for NVIDIA GPU's were to turn on Vsync via in game. It caused the least amount of input lag...surprisingly.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1602 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Remiwinkz wrote: »
    You do not want your FPS going over the refresh rate of your monitor. It overworks your GPU and causes screen tearing. The last time someone investigated and did a write up on this it was found that the best settings for NVIDIA GPU's were to turn on Vsync via in game. It caused the least amount of input lag...surprisingly.

No. no. and no.
  • Remiwinkz
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016

No. no. and no.

Seems like someone hasn't read up on the subject in a long time. Any FPS over your monitors refresh rate is a complete waste and causes tearing and stresses your GPU for no reason. That's a fact. I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it.

Change the in game setting to your monitors refresh rate unless you get serious FPS dips that cause a stutter. If thats the case then you would set the limiter lower for a smoother experience. Its personal pref.

*******" I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it. "
    Actually that was for people who use GSYNC only. If you don't you should just use an FPS limiter such as the one in game or RTSS for the least amount of input lag.
  • Modski
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Anyone that can answer my question? I just want the best option. Shall I leave it on 200 or lower it to 144hz
  • Remiwinkz
    edited December 2016
    Modski wrote: »
    Anyone that can answer my question? I just want the best option. Shall I leave it on 200 or lower it to 144hz

There should be another option to set it your "monitors refresh rate". Choose that one. If its not listed use 144hz since that is your monitors max refresh rate.
  • BigF33t_13
    6762 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    200 fps is the limit for the game. Turning it to 200 is effectively turning it off.
  • LostMyGolfBall
    1041 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    200 fps is the limit for the game. Turning it to 200 is effectively turning it off.

Gametime.maxvariablefps 500 and you'll get more if you have the hardware to do so. 200 is not the limit for the game, only the limit in the menu.
  • Sellis97
    167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Everything is nice and smooth. If you have a 165Hz monitor use gametime.maxvariablefps 165. There is absolutely no point in having anything higher than your monitor can display.

Fierce.

No. no. and no.

Seems like someone hasn't read up on the subject in a long time. Any FPS over your monitors refresh rate is a complete waste and causes tearing and stresses your GPU for no reason. That's a fact. I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it.

Change the in game setting to your monitors refresh rate unless you get serious FPS dips that cause a stutter. If thats the case then you would set the limiter lower for a smoother experience. Its personal pref.

*******" I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it. "
    Actually that was for people who use GSYNC only. If you don't you should just use an FPS limiter such as the one in game or RTSS for the least amount of input lag.

If you can get stable 90fps on a 60hz monitor then it will be much more smoother than capping it at 60fps. The frame latency is the problem here. I can feel and see the difference so easily.

https://embed.gyazo.com/55f9534f496e8749bf4a1df58efd0aab.png

2:14

When your monitor refreshes, it's best to have more fps because then the game can display the latest frame rendered so there is less variable in frame latency.
  • Remiwinkz
    edited December 2016
    Sellis97 wrote: »

Fierce.

No. no. and no.

If you can get stable 90fps on a 60hz monitor then it will be much more smoother than capping it at 60fps. The frame latency is the problem here. I can feel and see the difference so easily.

https://embed.gyazo.com/55f9534f496e8749bf4a1df58efd0aab.png

2:14

When your monitor refreshes, it's best to have more fps because then the game can display the latest frame rendered so there is less variable in frame latency.

No, not at all. Having anything over 60 FPS is a waste on a 60hz monitor. It will not be smoother and it adds screen tearing. Your monitor can't process the frames over 60 correctly and it introduces screen tearing. These are facts.
    You're the first person on countless forums I frequent that has ever even implied what you are stating. You're fooling yourself if you think screen tearing = smoother gameplay. That graph you linked represents screen tearing.

That video opens up with the guy saying "I play 200 FPS on my 60hz monitor"...../facepalm.

I'll go with the info NVIDIA and other technical resources that know what they are talking about have released on the subject.
  • BACKYARDBULLY38
    265 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Use the setting (monitor refresh rate)
  • TheNoobPolice
    edited December 2016

No. no. and no.

Actually - I've tested myself using an oscilloscope on TN's as compared to CRT and did a whole bunch of lag tests on BF3 and CS:GO at the same time.

The higher you run a game engine, the lower input lag you recieve even when you only have a 60hz monitor. I tested this in CS:GO with 300 FPS at 60hz and got around 15ms extra input lag consistently when running at 60fps @ 60hz. That's almost a full frame of extra lag. (v-sync off, of course)

Whilst RTSS is one of the best external limiters for even frame cadance, all external limiters introduce a few extra milliseconds of input lag, due to the way they poll either the driver (in the case of Nvidia Inspector) the api layer ( as in the case of RTSS) or the render buffer (EVGA precision X) - yep all those limiters actually use a completely different method to limit the frame rate.

The worst is Nvidia inspector, by far. Never use that, ever. Adds nearly as much lag as v-sync. The best limiter is one that is at game engine level, since it doesn't require any polling. Provided it is implemented correctly and doesn't have cadence problems (cough, Witcher 3, cough).

V-sync in game always causes stutter and input lag. Triple Buffering reduces stutter, but increases input lag further. That's not out of date info. That's fact. V-sync should always be OFF in FPS games, unless you enjoy the "mouse through trreacle" effect.

G-sync increases input lag by just 1ms, routinely and consistently at the same frame rate as v-sync off w/ no -gsync. This is because the driver polls the monitor every millisecond to find out what scan state it is in.

The reason for using a limiter is to even out frame cadance for a smoother presentation, but this will always be at the expense of some input lag. There is a trade off. You also should never limit to exactly your monitors refresh rate, it should either be slightly higher ,or slightly lower. I could explain this in depth but I'm getting bored of writing now. If you have a 60hz monitor you should limit at either 62 or 59, for example.

....and you don't "overwork" your GPU by uncapping the frame rate. You gain increased responsiveness with higher FPS. A GPU that isn't faulty will quite happily sit at 99% usage all day. People that mined bitcoins all day for years have proven this so as fact.

• TheNoobPolice
    edited December 2016
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »

There's no limit in the game engine. You could run BF1 at 1000FPS if you had the hardware.
This discussion has been closed.