BF1 framerate limiter? (why can't I turn that fully off?)

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    6750 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    200 fps is the limit for the game. Turning it to 200 is effectively turning it off.

Gametime.maxvariablefps 500 and you'll get more if you have the hardware to do so. 200 is not the limit for the game, only the limit in the menu.

It's the default limit, I should have been more clear.
  • Sellis97
    167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited December 2016
    Remiwinkz wrote: »
    Sellis97 wrote: »
    I just leave it set to 200 and use Gametime.maxvariablefps 144 in user.cfg.

Everything is nice and smooth. If you have a 165Hz monitor use gametime.maxvariablefps 165. There is absolutely no point in having anything higher than your monitor can display.

Fierce.
    You do not want your FPS going over the refresh rate of your monitor. It overworks your GPU and causes screen tearing. The last time someone investigated and did a write up on this it was found that the best settings for NVIDIA GPU's were to turn on Vsync via in game. It caused the least amount of input lag...surprisingly.

No. no. and no.

Seems like someone hasn't read up on the subject in a long time. Any FPS over your monitors refresh rate is a complete waste and causes tearing and stresses your GPU for no reason. That's a fact. I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it.

Change the in game setting to your monitors refresh rate unless you get serious FPS dips that cause a stutter. If thats the case then you would set the limiter lower for a smoother experience. Its personal pref.

*******" I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it. "
    Actually that was for people who use GSYNC only. If you don't you should just use an FPS limiter such as the one in game or RTSS for the least amount of input lag.

If you can get stable 90fps on a 60hz monitor then it will be much more smoother than capping it at 60fps. The frame latency is the problem here. I can feel and see the difference so easily.

https://embed.gyazo.com/55f9534f496e8749bf4a1df58efd0aab.png

2:14

When your monitor refreshes, it's best to have more fps because then the game can display the latest frame rendered so there is less variable in frame latency.

No, not at all. Having anything over 60 FPS is a waste on a 60hz monitor. It will not be smoother and it adds screen tearing. Your monitor can't process the frames over 60 correctly and it introduces screen tearing. These are facts.
    You're the first person on countless forums I frequent that has ever even implied what you are stating. You're fooling yourself if you think screen tearing = smoother gameplay. That graph you linked represents screen tearing.

That video opens up with the guy saying "I play 200 FPS on my 60hz monitor"...../facepalm.

I'll go with the info NVIDIA and other technical resources that know what they are talking about have released on the subject.

Screen tearing isn't noticeable when you are running in very high fps. In fact I have MORE screen tearing when I cap my fps to 60 or anything close to it.
    The game feels smoother when you have stable fps due to frame time being constant. Capping fps can help with this.BUT I can't play any game properly when capped to 60. Horrible screen tearing and I do notice sluggish mouse movements.
    Most of cs go pro players are playing on 144hz monitor but still they have their fps uncapped or capped at someting like 200. There is a night and a day difference running cs go at 60fps versus 200fps. But since you are not into pro gaming, I wouldn't expect you to know about these things.
    I have over twice the accuracy and kd in Bf4 over you. I am done talking to you since you can't come up with any argument about why frame latency wouldn't matter. Go facepalm somewhere else.
  • SirNLeo
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    200 fps is the limit for the game. Turning it to 200 is effectively turning it off.

Gametime.maxvariablefps 500 and you'll get more if you have the hardware to do so. 200 is not the limit for the game, only the limit in the menu.

I have 2 GTX 1080 and I have never seen it go over 200fps in game. Same with bf4. 200 is the Max FPS on frostbite.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1600 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    SirNLeo wrote: »

I have 2 GTX 1080 and I have never seen it go over 200fps in game. Same with bf4. 200 is the Max FPS on frostbite.

No it isn't.

Always wondered what makes people like to state nonsense as facts - care to enlighten me?
  • The-Acidpiss
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Holy crap, this thread is like watching people without drivers licences drive Bugatti's
  • SuperKoopaTroopr
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You do not want your FPS going over the refresh rate of your monitor. It overworks your GPU and causes screen tearing. The last time someone investigated and did a write up on this it was found that the best settings for NVIDIA GPU's were to turn on Vsync via in game. It caused the least amount of input lag...surprisingly.

No. no. and no.

Seems like someone hasn't read up on the subject in a long time. Any FPS over your monitors refresh rate is a complete waste and causes tearing and stresses your GPU for no reason. That's a fact. I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it.

Change the in game setting to your monitors refresh rate unless you get serious FPS dips that cause a stutter. If thats the case then you would set the limiter lower for a smoother experience. Its personal pref.

*******" I can supply a link a link for the input lag testing...just have to find it. "
    Actually that was for people who use GSYNC only. If you don't you should just use an FPS limiter such as the one in game or RTSS for the least amount of input lag.

Umm... never mind
  • Redundanz
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The setting does nothing else than set the console command "g_....."
    So just go to the console and set that to 0 or to 1000, or to 10000000 .... whatever you wish your limit to be.
  • UnderseaAcademic
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Everything is nice and smooth. If you have a 165Hz monitor use gametime.maxvariablefps 165. There is absolutely no point in having anything higher than your monitor can display.

Fierce.

Will you please stop spewing out misinformation, you of all people should know this game is a bastardisation of what it should be, your comments and ideas change from day to day and border on stupidity due to your lack of consistency. you will still have to pay up when I told you this game will be dead in 6 Months, stop being a fanboy and deluded. If anyone wants to know how often this fools opinions change, just look him up, fool !
  • Modski
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Still no one that has a clue on what max fps is the best to use for a 144hz monitor? 200 or 144 (screen hz)
  • TheMach1nE2O2O
    1034 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Fierce.

Will you please stop spewing out misinformation, you of all people should know this game is a bastardisation of what it should be, your comments and ideas change from day to day and border on stupidity due to your lack of consistency. you will still have to pay up when I told you this game will be dead in 6 Months, stop being a fanboy and deluded. If anyone wants to know how often this fools opinions change, just look him up, fool !

^^ Someone's salty over getting deleted for being a very nasty individual!

Go look in the mirror Dougal. The only fool here will be staring back at you! You're nothing but a troll on the forums, always trying to stir things or giving out about x, y and z. You're a hot-head when you're not playing 'Mr Nice Guy'.

There was no misinformation in my post above. Stop trying to be a trouble maker. Haven't you had enough forum bans already.

Fierce.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    you're never going to need more than 200 fps. ever
  • UnderseaAcademic
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    @Farcebrosnan, LOL, not quite sure you even know what a troll is, What i do know is you are so blinkered at times and then completely change your mind on issues, stop trying to pretend to be the know all, You haven't got a clue :-) The fact you even typed "salty" speaks volumes about your mentality. just leave the forums for us nice guys :-)

P.S. Hows that €630 investment going for you in a broken and dying game hahahahahaha
  • trip1ex
    5028 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016

No. no. and no.

My experience says different.

Vysnc on isn't as responsive as Vsync off.

And letting your fps run free will often generate more fps than your monitor can display and "work your gpu more than it needs to," but it also provides more up to date frames when your monitor does display a frame and feels smoother.

I don't get screen tearing when letting my gpu generate as many frames as possible.

I get screen tearing if I cap my frame rate at 60 with the frame rater limiter.

I don't get screen tearing with vsync on (which is the point of vsync afterall,) but again it doesn't feel as responsive when it is on.

Not sure yet if frame rate limiter is more responsive than vsync. I haven't played around with that enough to say from personal experience.

I set my frame rate limiter at 120 but most of the time in action I wasn't hitting 120 anyway so don't notice anything different.

I am going to play around with 60 today. I don't think I will like it as I briefly played around with it using console commands/config files before.

• TheMach1nE2O2O
    1034 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    @Farcebrosnan, LOL, not quite sure you even know what a troll is, What i do know is you are so blinkered at times and then completely change your mind on issues, stop trying to pretend to be the know all, You haven't got a clue :-) The fact you even typed "salty" speaks volumes about your mentality. just leave the forums for us nice guys :-)

P.S. Hows that €630 investment going for you in a broken and dying game hahahahahaha

Some things will never change.

Starting personal attacks on the forum speaks volumes about your charachter doesn't it..

The game plays great after the december patch. No problems finding servers. It's early days with a lot more great content to come. The only thing potentially hurting BF1 is cheating and the lack of a client side AC such as BattlEye.

Now why don't you leave the forum.."Troll" so the rest of us "good guys" can offer help to those who need it.

Fierce.

• TheNoobPolice
    1600 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Modski wrote: »
    Still no one that has a clue on what max fps is the best to use for a 144hz monitor? 200 or 144 (screen hz)

The short answer is it's up to you. Not meaning to be rude, but if you have to ask that question then you probably don't really need to know. You can read about frame cadence, input lag, refresh rates, different sync systems and all sorts of other stuff online to bring your knowledge up.

Just lower the frame rate limit if you have game breakingly high CPU usage - that's the only reason DICE put it in the menu in the first place.The limiter has always been in the game, you don't need to start limiting the FPS all of a sudden if you had no problem before.
  • UnderseaAcademic

Starting personal attacks on the forum speaks volumes about your charachter doesn't it..

The game plays great after the december patch. No problems finding servers. It's early days with a lot more great content to come. The only thing potentially hurting BF1 is cheating and the lack of a client side AC such as BattlEye.

Now why don't you leave the forum.."Troll" so the rest of us "good guys" can offer help to those who need it.

Fierce.

Tell you what, ill gather all your silly contradicting waffle over the last few months, you seem to be that guy who only adds devs and youtube bigshots lol grow up you spanner, the only thing hurting BF1 is you and your ilk, Grow some balls and just admit you made a mess of yourself and your money lmao, I dare you to come back to BF4 you coward.

As i said you small minded fanboy, you still dont know what a troll is, Ill spell it out for you, forum trolls make a comment for a reaction and leave, I am staying around to debunk your mouthy crap :-)
  • TheMach1nE2O2O

Fierce.

Tell you what, ill gather all your silly contradicting waffle over the last few months, you seem to be that guy who only adds devs and youtube bigshots lol grow up you spanner, the only thing hurting BF1 is you and your ilk, Grow some balls and just admit you made a mess of yourself and your money lmao, I dare you to come back to BF4 you coward.

As i said you small minded fanboy, you still dont know what a troll is, Ill spell it out for you, forum trolls make a comment for a reaction and leave, I am staying around to debunk your mouthy crap :-)

Threats, intimidation and name-calling... you're not a very nice individual are you?

The saltyness and the irony in your comments is just comical! Don't even know why you bothered purchasing BF1 if you're so unhappy with it. No-one is forcing you to stay..
    You seem to have some serious personal issues or jealousy problems idk. Maybe go see a doc or spend some time outside in the fresh air away from the screen!
    There's nothing to debunk, you'll only be making a fool out of yourself in front of everyone else. If that's your thing.. work away but you won't be getting any attention.

Money was well spent.. BF1 looks better and is designed much better (maps especially- scale and layout) vs BF4. The first BF game since BF2 that creates that BF feel IMO. Sure it needs work but it's an EPIC game. That's not to say I won't still play BF4. I like the game too as I do for pretty much all BFs that I own.

Don't know what you mean by 'daring me to come back to BF4' or calling me a 'coward'!? If anything, I would take that as a threatening comment. What's going to happen if I come back to BF4? ..Nothing!! I might even have a game this evening or tomorrow or whenever the hell I like for that matter. I sure as heck won't be intimidated by an angry little keyboard warrior!

Any further attempts at immature personal attacks in any shape or form will be handed over to the relevant dept. I won't be entertaining it any further. You add very little positive or helpful content on here.

Congrats on derailing the thread.

Oh and btw, I am a man of my word, I said if this game fails that I would give you that money and that doesn't change.

Now go on with yourself, stop all the nonsense and attempts to rise me. It will be falling on deaf ears. I choose to play with nice people.

Fierce.

• UnderseaAcademic

Fierce.

Threats, intimidation and name-calling... you're not a very nice individual are you?

The saltyness and the irony in your comments is just comical! Don't even know why you bothered purchasing BF1 if you're so unhappy with it. No-one is forcing you to stay..
    You seem to have some serious personal issues or jealousy problems idk. Maybe go see a doc or spend some time outside in the fresh air away from the screen!
    There's nothing to debunk, you'll only be making a fool out of yourself in front of everyone else. If that's your thing.. work away but you won't be getting any attention.

Money was well spent.. BF1 looks better and is designed much better (maps especially- scale and layout) vs BF4. The first BF game since BF2 that creates that BF feel IMO. Sure it needs work but it's an EPIC game. That's not to say I won't still play BF4. I like the game too as I do for pretty much all BFs that I own.

Don't know what you mean by 'daring me to come back to BF4' or calling me a 'coward'!? If anything, I would take that as a threatening comment. What's going to happen if I come back to BF4? ..Nothing!! I might even have a game this evening or tomorrow or whenever the hell I like for that matter. I sure as heck won't be intimidated by an angry little keyboard warrior!

Any further attempts at immature personal attacks in any shape or form will be handed over to the relevant dept. I won't be entertaining it any further. You add very little positive or helpful content on here.

Congrats on derailing the thread.

Oh and btw, I am a man of my word, I said if this game fails that I would give you that money and that doesn't change.

Now go on with yourself, stop all the nonsense and attempts to rise me. It will be falling on deaf ears. I choose to play with nice people.

Fierce.

LMAO Oh please, stop with your drama queen drivel lol
  • ReeFLeeXllBRASIL
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ok Guys, the question is, is there any way to get more than 60fps in game if my monitor is 60hz?
  • JudasCaesar
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    ok Guys, the question is, is there any way to get more than 60fps in game if my monitor is 60hz?
    of course; your monitor refresh rate isn't the limit of your FPS; also don't necro old threads. 
This discussion has been closed.