PSA: Universal soldier aiming, you *might* be using it wrong!

Foodie88
663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited December 2016
For those not in the know/not already using this feature, first a little introduction:

Universal soldier aiming was a feature added to the control menu of (I think it was) BF4 the first time. It is aimed, no pun intended, at unifying the perceived sensitivity across different zoom levels. In earlier titles, or when this is not enabled, you'd often notice a big jump in sensitivity when you started using scopes and it was almost impossible to get the same muscle memory when switching from a 4x to an 8x scope, to 2x ironsights et cetera. You'd have to learn everything seperately and nothing would be cohesive.

Now, universal soldier aiming does some calculations based on your aspect ratio + FOV and changes your base sensitivity on the fly to give you the same feeling with whatever zoom level you are using. It can help you become more consistent and build up a crazy muscle memory.

The feature is built around a coefficient which you can set in the control menu, just below where you enable universal soldier aiming. That coefficient is 133% by default.

EDIT: I edited this topic because some of this information is incorrect. One of the developers of this function (thanks for the support @TheNoobPolice) provided me with insights in how this function was developed and how it works exactly. For legacy value I left the original infomation in but put a strikethrough on it. Read this bold printed paragraph for my final thoughts on it.

GETTING THE MOST OUT OF UNIVERSAL SOLDIER AIMING

1. Set your hipfire sensitivity to whatever feels right to you (test by hipfire!).

2. Put all of the adv. sensitivity sliders on 100%.

3. Setting the coefficient:
If you have a 16:9, just take 133%, it's good. If you don't then:
Take 2/3's of your horizontal screen width, then divide that by your screen height. Multiply the answer by 100 and there's a nice starting value for your coefficient.

Example for 2560x1080:
2560 *0.66 = 1690.
1690/1080 = 1.56.
1.56*100 = 156%

The rest is up to experimentation because as TheNoobPolice explains, many of it is based around the perception of the user itself. Therefore it is impossible to determine the 100% right coefficient for you by pure calculation. Play an entire match switching between hipfire, irons 2x, 4x scope and 8x scope and check if the coefficient gives you the same accuracy on all zoom levels. If the high zoom scopes feel too fast, lower the coefficient. If it's too slow, increase the coefficient.

Coefficient is not a very good term for it though, because it stands for your monitor's aspect ratio.

133% => 1.33 => 4:3

Unfortunately, for most people, this standard setting will not be right as there's not many people left playing on 4:3 screens.
That means the default coefficient is wrong! Most people are using either 16:9 (1920 x 1080 and similar) or 21:9 (2560 x 1080 and similar).

To correct this do the following:

16:9
16:9 => 1.777 => 178%

21:9
21:9 => 2.333 => 233%

Dependent on what aspect ratio you have, set the coefficient to either one of those, or calculate it yourself if you have a very special screen.

One more thing: if you have changed any individual advanced sensitivity setting, I'd recommend returning everyone of them back to 100% to make sure this doesn't throw off the system. Just mark down whatever you had set it to, so you can return to it if needed :wink:

My aspect ratio is 21:9 so I put it on 233%. It took me about 20 minutes of burn in time to get use to the new feeling - after that everything was feeling so snappy and accurate, I've never experienced that before.

It might be scary to change something in sensitivity when you're already reasonably used to your settings but trust me, it's worth it! I really don't know why DICE never bothered to explain this feature correctly.

Greetings,
Foodie
Post edited by Foodie88 on

Comments

• drunkmonk74
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Wow, thanks for taking the time to post will give it a go tonight when I get home from work.
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It was a true epiphany when I enabled it! After getting used to it for one or two rounds I was shooting the Gewehr M95 like I was using the M98B in BF3. Aimed so fast, I didn't even know I could still do that! I wish I had known this back in BF4 already...
  • AshkaliN
    282 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    Wait, i thought Universal soldier aiming is different in this game than Bf4?In bf1 Universal soldier aiming is making all the xScopes(x1,x2 etc) have same speed across the board, correct?I do use Universal soldier aiming since it was presented in Bf4 and it makes huge difference in aiming.

p.s. Also the purpose of Universal soldier aiming is to make your sens feel like you are playing on 4:3 with that coeficent no matter what screen you are using, 16:9 or 21:9 thats the point.So you can have same sens up/down , left/right again no matter the screen aspect ratio.
  • IGuerilla_Phil
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thank you, I will definitely try this.
  • Foodie88
    edited December 2016
    AshkaliN wrote: »
    Wait, i thought Universal soldier aiming is different in this game than Bf4?In bf1 Universal soldier aiming is making all the xScopes(x1,x2 etc) have same speed across the board, correct?I do use Universal soldier aiming since it was presented in Bf4 and it makes huge difference in aiming.

As far as I know it still has the same purpose - make the sensitivity/speed the same for all zoom levels. That was also what it was for in BF4. 133% already helps, but using the correct one for your aspect ratio really gets it right. The strange thing is: the developer that made it recommends leaving it at 133% because "4:3" is the "most common". WTF? Why make such a great feature and not even let people know to use it properly?
  • AshkaliN
    282 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    Foodie88 wrote: »

As far as I know it still has the same purpose - make the sensitivity/speed the same for all zoom levels. That was also what it was for in BF4. 133% already helps, but using the correct one for your aspect ratio really gets it right. The strange thing is: the developer that made it recommends leaving it at 133% because "4:3" is the "most common". WTF? Why make such a great feature and not even let people know to use it properly?

The correct one is 133% wtf ? See here calculateaspectratio.com/ You want to use that 133% because it is for 4:3 which is like almost a SQUARE, therefor all up/down, left/right are the same, if use different coefiecnt then, as you can see in the picture you are using not 4:3, therefor no same sens, that's why 133% is used so it can convert all aspect ratio to 4:3 aspect ration sens
  • Foodie88

The correct one is 133% wtf ? See here calculateaspectratio.com/ You want to use that 133% because it is for 4:3 which is like almost a SQUARE, therefor all up/down, left/right are the same, if use different coefiecnt then, as you can see in the picture you are using not 4:3, therefor no same sens, that's why 133% is used so it can unify all aspect ratio to 4:3 aspect ration sens

No, The coefficient 133% only works correctly for 4:3 screens so like 1024 x 768, 800 x 600. But that's resolutions and screen sizes that virtually noone uses anymore. The developer even mentioned that he based it off the system that the first Counterstrike used. Back then that would have worked because noone had widescreen screens!

And no, it's not for unifying X and Y sensitivity. It's for giving you the same sensitivity feeling, regardless of what zoom level you use. You should be able to snap aim just as well with 8x scopes as with 4x scopes when it's configured correctly.

The reason why this correct aspect ratio needs to be filled in is because the calculation universal aiming does, uses both your aspect ratio and your field-of-view setting. The only thing I don't understand is: why didn't they just remove the coefficient setting and have the game calculate your aspect ratio from your resolution? :s
  • Foodie88
    Sorry for double post but here's a nice post from the BF4 forums from a CTE tester that worked with the developer who designed uniform soldier aiming:

https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150494051524581/
  • Tor_the_cute
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I play with "USA" on.. and haven't touch my coefficient .

The devs state that is shouldn't be tuch (still think CS use this)

If u change it to 178% (16:9 ) for 1080p or 1440p, wouldn't that mean ur aim will be faster right to left then up/down ?
  • Sechnaill
    992 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have a headache!
  • TheNoobPolice
    1652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    I play with "USA" on.. and haven't touch my coefficient .

The devs state that is shouldn't be tuch (still think CS use this)

If u change it to 178% (16:9 ) for 1080p or 1440p, wouldn't that mean ur aim will be faster right to left then up/down ?

No. This type of confusion is exactly why I didn't think the coefficient should even be exposed in the options menu.

I have attempted to clarify how this works in this other thread.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/73116/uniform-soldier-aiming-on-or-off/p2

However, it is a complex thing to understand and I get why there is confusion, so TL:DR.

1) The coefficient is not a setting that you should match for your aspect ratio. The OP misunderstood its usage.
    2) USA does not affect vertical and horizontal sensitivities differently, regardless of the coefficient setting.
    3) The best setting for the majority of people, even of 16:9 screens, is the default value with USA ON.
    4) If you don't fully understand why you should change the coefficient, then you shouldn't change the coefficient.

• BaronVonGoon
    7063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    We really need experts to chime in on this. @KDNS you around?

Ive no clue what impact does having USA ON and also adjusting the individual scope sensitivities. For example I have 1.25x scopes set at 170% (for all my non-scout weapon usage) but I have 2x scopes set at 70% for when I use sniper infantry variants like the 95 Gewehr. Am I better off turning USA off?
  • TheNoobPolice
    1652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    We really need experts to chime in on this. @KDNS you around?

Ive no clue what impact does having USA ON and also adjusting the individual scope sensitivities. For example I have 1.25x scopes set at 170% (for all my non-scout weapon usage) but I have 2x scopes set at 70% for when I use sniper infantry variants like the 95 Gewehr. Am I better off turning USA off?

Read this from Dark Etheereal:

http://forum.symthic.com/battlefield-4-technical-discussion/7836-cte-uniform-soldier-aiming-info/

Then read what I wrote starting from here.

http://forum.symthic.com/battlefield-1-general-discussion/10805-why-do-i-perform-better-with-universal-soldier-aiming-turned-off/index4.html#post323565

Congratualtions - you are now an expert on it!
  • AbyssMessiah
    214 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016

1) The coefficient is not a setting that you should match for your aspect ratio. The OP misunderstood its usage.
    2) USA does not affect vertical and horizontal sensitivities differently, regardless of the coefficient setting.
    3) The best setting for the majority of people, even of 16:9 screens, is the default value with USA ON.
    4) If you don't fully understand why you should change the coefficient, then you shouldn't change the coefficient.

At 177% (can`t set at 178%, as it jumps 7 to 9, but meh) it does seem to have the same physical distance on the pad for unzoomed / zoomed, at least with what I tested in 10 seconds with 4x scope.

Can`t be ****, as I`d rarely need to 180 degree scope stuff, and "zoom slowdown" is actually more beneficial for me.
  • Obi-Juan_Kebabi
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

At 177% (can`t set at 178%, as it jumps 7 to 9, but meh) it does seem to have the same physical distance on the pad for unzoomed / zoomed, at least with what I tested in 10 seconds with 4x scope.

Can`t be ****, as I`d rarely need to 180 degree scope stuff, and "zoom slowdown" is actually more beneficial for me.

You can use the arrow keys, but it's not going to make that much of a difference.
  • PioneerX_USA
    377 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For those not in the know/not already using this feature, first a little introduction:

My aspect ratio is 21:9 so I put it on 233%. It took me about 20 minutes of burn in time to get use to the new feeling - after that everything was feeling so snappy and accurate, I've never experienced that before.

Interesting. I'm also 21:9 but had my coefficient at 100% Wow aiming is so much faster now it's like I raised my sensitivity. Did you have to lower your sens after setting it to 233? I'm not quite sure what I'm gaining vs a standard sensitivity increase.

• AbyssMessiah
    214 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Interesting. I'm also 21:9 but had my coefficient at 100% Wow aiming is so much faster now it's like I raised my sensitivity. Did you have to lower your sens after setting it to 233? I'm not quite sure what I'm gaining vs a standard sensitivity increase.

You are gaining "true" muscle memory. So, let`s assume you need one full mouse pad to do a 180 turn (from side to side). Supposedly his formula makes sure you need the same physical distance (aka muscle memory) with your mouse to turn 180 degrees unzoomed just as well as zoomed.

All fine and dandy, but the problem is that zoomed you will have a percieved faster sensitivity because of the pure distance and the need to move your mouse less to cover the same ingame distance. The only true "gain" is for CQB using various degrees of zoom.

What I found by testing this is that BF 1 is different than let`s say CS:GO, where distances are shorter and the relative target size is pretty big even at max engagement distances, so in that game it actually makes sense to have the snipers have the same sensitivity as the guns (which guns don`t have zoom themselves, not the most used). BF 1, by comparison, has extreme distances where you go pixel hunting, so it actually makes sense to simulate "lower DPI button". It makes sense to have lower sensitivity at longer ranges, unless you run VERY low default sensitivity (under or around 10% @ 400 / 800 DPI).

tl;dr: You are gaining true muscle memory, aka the same physical mouse distance on the gamepad for all zoom options, but losing long range accuracy if you are running anything other than super low sensitivity and / or cannot move your mouse REALLY slow / in short increments. You gain better zoomed accuracy at short ranges, where you will have uniform "snap" possibilities. Default (133% with 16:9) you turn about 130 degrees zoomed 4x vs 180 unzoomed for the same mouse "drag"; untested with other zoom options.
  • WeirdoTorpedo
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It would be awesome if we could actually get a hold of anyone from DICE (either office) to answer questions like these and post a stickie so we can lay to rest these questions once and for all.
  • Obliviate1982
    217 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    does this thread refer to the "UNIFORM soldier aiming" option in advanced control options or is this something else?
  • xTaverlisk
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It would be awesome if we could actually get a hold of anyone from DICE (either office) to answer questions like these and post a stickie so we can lay to rest these questions once and for all.

Check the links by TheNoobPolice in the eralier posts. If you wan't the real answers.

This discussion has been closed.