Uniform Soldier Aiming ...on or off?

«13
ekqw4ckr
14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Is this button supposed to be on or off? What is the advantage of this? I do not understand this feature. Will it hurt u if it's off?

Comments

  • YOS123
    887 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hello. Uniform Soldier Aiming is meant to make your sensitivity feel the same when you switch between infantry ADS sights.

    So this means that if you turn this option ON it will help with your muscle memory. But first you have to find the best USA sensitivity for yourself, once you have found it start playing with it. If it feels like it's too high or too low then increased/decrease if needed.
  • PeterLA69
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Here is the best guide I have found on it; I wold suggest leaving it on for now and keeping the Coefficient at 133%

    https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150494051524581/
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes, you should use it and no you shouldn't leave the coefficient at 133%. That's built around 4:3 screens and as you likely have something with 16:9 or 21:9, you need a different coefficient.

    Check my thread on this topic here:

    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/72159/psa-universal-soldier-aiming-youre-using-it-wrong
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    Yes, you should use it and no you shouldn't leave the coefficient at 133%. That's built around 4:3 screens and as you likely have something with 16:9 or 21:9, you need a different coefficient.

    Check my thread on this topic here:

    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/72159/psa-universal-soldier-aiming-youre-using-it-wrong

    In short, set your coefficient to whatever your screen needs, put all advanced sensitivity settings on standard 100% and then play with your general sensitivity until you find a base setting that you like.

    Since starting to use USA with the right coefficient, i dropped my sens from 11% to 9% and it's perfect (mind you I'm a high sensitivity player - hence I'm playing with 1800 dpi).

  • GreenRey
    403 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    All these people using technical terms makes me feel stupid. I think the first comment made the most sense.
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited December 2016
    GreenRey wrote: »
    All these people using technical terms makes me feel stupid. I think the first comment made the most sense.

    Let me shorten it a bit then:

    Should I enable it? Yes, definitely.
    What coefficient should I use? If your screen is 1920x1080 which is likely, use 178%.
  • GreenRey
    403 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    GreenRey wrote: »
    All these people using technical terms makes me feel stupid. I think the first comment made the most sense.

    Let me shorten it a bit then:

    Should I enable it? Yes, definitely.
    What coefficient should I use? If your screen is 1920x1080 which is likely, use 178%.
    What is the significance? Why 178% and not 154%. I play on console so idk if the same applies.
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Foodie88 hey man :) i am playing on a whats believed to be a standard 42" HD tv, its not a widescreen just standard. am i too assume its at 4:3 by default ??
  • full951
    2468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've used both. right now I prefer on
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    GreenRey wrote: »
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    GreenRey wrote: »
    All these people using technical terms makes me feel stupid. I think the first comment made the most sense.

    Let me shorten it a bit then:

    Should I enable it? Yes, definitely.
    What coefficient should I use? If your screen is 1920x1080 which is likely, use 178%.
    What is the significance? Why 178% and not 154%. I play on console so idk if the same applies.

    If you divide 1920 by 1080, you get 1,777 which is the same as 178%. Yes, the same applies for console. If you have a standard HD TV (1080p/Full HD or 720p/HD ready), then it should be 178%.
    @Foodie88 hey man :) i am playing on a whats believed to be a standard 42" HD tv, its not a widescreen just standard. am i too assume its at 4:3 by default ??

    Hi smileyface! What is the resolution of your TV? If it's a HD TV, it shouldn't be 4:3, it should be 16:9 and that is widescreen. If you have a 4:3 screen, it would look something like this (note the almost square dimensions):

    100001705_1_.jpg

    This is also the reason why basing the system around 4:3 (133%) is a very strange decision. It's been 10 years since most of those TV's and monitors disappeared already.
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    GreenRey wrote: »
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    GreenRey wrote: »
    All these people using technical terms makes me feel stupid. I think the first comment made the most sense.

    Let me shorten it a bit then:

    Should I enable it? Yes, definitely.
    What coefficient should I use? If your screen is 1920x1080 which is likely, use 178%.
    What is the significance? Why 178% and not 154%. I play on console so idk if the same applies.

    If you divide 1920 by 1080, you get 1,777 which is the same as 178%. Yes, the same applies for console. If you have a standard HD TV (1080p/Full HD or 720p/HD ready), then it should be 178%.
    @Foodie88 hey man :) i am playing on a whats believed to be a standard 42" HD tv, its not a widescreen just standard. am i too assume its at 4:3 by default ??

    Hi smileyface! What is the resolution of your TV? If it's a HD TV, it shouldn't be 4:3, it should be 16:9 and that is widescreen. If you have a 4:3 screen, it would look something like this (note the almost square dimensions):

    100001705_1_.jpg

    This is also the reason why basing the system around 4:3 (133%) is a very strange decision. It's been 10 years since most of those TV's and monitors disappeared already.


    haha awesome foodie thanks for the feeback :) i will change that setting first thing as soon as i get home !

    will i notice a big difference in how the game feel by changing it to 178 ?
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    GreenRey wrote: »
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    GreenRey wrote: »
    All these people using technical terms makes me feel stupid. I think the first comment made the most sense.

    Let me shorten it a bit then:

    Should I enable it? Yes, definitely.
    What coefficient should I use? If your screen is 1920x1080 which is likely, use 178%.
    What is the significance? Why 178% and not 154%. I play on console so idk if the same applies.

    If you divide 1920 by 1080, you get 1,777 which is the same as 178%. Yes, the same applies for console. If you have a standard HD TV (1080p/Full HD or 720p/HD ready), then it should be 178%.
    @Foodie88 hey man :) i am playing on a whats believed to be a standard 42" HD tv, its not a widescreen just standard. am i too assume its at 4:3 by default ??

    Hi smileyface! What is the resolution of your TV? If it's a HD TV, it shouldn't be 4:3, it should be 16:9 and that is widescreen. If you have a 4:3 screen, it would look something like this (note the almost square dimensions):

    100001705_1_.jpg

    This is also the reason why basing the system around 4:3 (133%) is a very strange decision. It's been 10 years since most of those TV's and monitors disappeared already.


    haha awesome foodie thanks for the feeback :) i will change that setting first thing as soon as i get home !

    will i notice a big difference in how the game feel by changing it to 178 ?

    No problem man. If you want to know all in's and out's and in particular the why, check my longer topic on this: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/72159/psa-universal-soldier-aiming-youre-using-it-wrong

    Well, you're playing on console so I cannot tell what the exact effect will be. When I changed from 133% to 233% (mind you, I have a 2560x1080 screen so I need to use a different one) I felt that my basic sensitivity rose a little bit. I dropped it 2% because of that.

    Now I feel like God when using the Gewehr M95 with 4x. It really feels much better to me - keeping the sensitivity feel the same when switching between 2x irons, 4x scope or 8x scope.

    In BF3 I could aim so fast that the movement was barely visible; I aimed purely by feeling and muscle memory. See a guy, aim in his general direction, scope in, gauge how much you are off, flick the mouse very fast in the right direction and fire. Hit nearly every time. The entire past sentence takes less than 1 second.

    That feeling never returned in BF4 - it always felt 'off' to me. Since I changed my settings in BF1, I am getting near the same performance as in BF3. With a little bit more practice, I'll soon be at the same level again I think.
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    well fingers crossed, i love it when there are settings i can adjust that could potentially help me get better.
  • Ameeba37
    1753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have it on. In BF4 I played mainly engineer with PDWs and it was beneficial to be able to easily hipfire with those things. Been loving it ever since.
  • full951
    2468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    Yes, you should use it and no you shouldn't leave the coefficient at 133%. That's built around 4:3 screens and as you likely have something with 16:9 or 21:9, you need a different coefficient.

    Check my thread on this topic here:

    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/72159/psa-universal-soldier-aiming-youre-using-it-wrong

    In short, set your coefficient to whatever your screen needs, put all advanced sensitivity settings on standard 100% and then play with your general sensitivity until you find a base setting that you like.

    Since starting to use USA with the right coefficient, i dropped my sens from 11% to 9% and it's perfect (mind you I'm a high sensitivity player - hence I'm playing with 1800 dpi).

    does FOV come into play at all?

    I've long had this question : is there a native or ideal FOV for 1080p?

    and I could be way off here, but if FOV effects your turning, it makes me think it would have an effect on your coefficient choice.

    I've tried really hard to find information on the ideal FOV for screen resolution and viewing distance. of course most pc gamers would choose 80 to 90 based on a my research. but I heard that 74 (Hor+90) as represented by the bf1 FOV slider is ideal for 1080p. I asked why, the guy said he forgot why but, in another thread he read there's a valid reason why, a reason other than "any higher and your view becomes fish eyed" and not based on his personal perception of the fish eye effect.

    do you know what I'm talking about? I don't. It just seems like there's gotta be a perfect fov based on math the way you say there's a correct coefficient based on the screen resolution
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    full951 wrote: »
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    Yes, you should use it and no you shouldn't leave the coefficient at 133%. That's built around 4:3 screens and as you likely have something with 16:9 or 21:9, you need a different coefficient.

    Check my thread on this topic here:

    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/72159/psa-universal-soldier-aiming-youre-using-it-wrong

    In short, set your coefficient to whatever your screen needs, put all advanced sensitivity settings on standard 100% and then play with your general sensitivity until you find a base setting that you like.

    Since starting to use USA with the right coefficient, i dropped my sens from 11% to 9% and it's perfect (mind you I'm a high sensitivity player - hence I'm playing with 1800 dpi).

    does FOV come into play at all?

    I've long had this question : is there a native or ideal FOV for 1080p?

    and I could be way off here, but if FOV effects your turning, it makes me think it would have an effect on your coefficient choice.

    I've tried really hard to find information on the ideal FOV for screen resolution and viewing distance. of course most pc gamers would choose 80 to 90 based on a my research. but I heard that 74 (Hor+90) as represented by the bf1 FOV slider is ideal for 1080p. I asked why, the guy said he forgot why but, in another thread he read there's a valid reason why, a reason other than "any higher and your view becomes fish eyed" and not based on his personal perception of the fish eye effect.

    do you know what I'm talking about? I don't. It just seems like there's gotta be a perfect fov based on math the way you say there's a correct coefficient based on the screen resolution

    You are absolutely correct, FOV matters. But your game already has that covered and uses the FOV in the USA calculation.

    And no, there's no ideal FOV for 1080p. It's pure user preference. If you want a nice basis to start from however, I recommend a horizontal FOV of 90.

    Higher indeed gets a fish eye look but even then I know many players that use that. The higher the FOV -> field-of-view -> the more you see left and right without needing to turn your character so there's a certain advantage for doing that. Also, many players - a friend of mine is an example - get motion sickness when the FOV is too low. I don't have that but I also feel a bit uncomfortable when I play a CoD title at standard FOV which is 60. That is WAY too low for a 1080p screen.

    Then, finally, it's also dependent on if you are on PC or console. Generally, if you are closer to the screen you need a higher FOV, which is why a lot of console oriented titles (also titles ported to PC from console) have a very low standard FOV. I've refunded games that were console ports and had no FOV slider/option for this very reason.

    About the fish eye effect: The reason why it gets fish eyed is because you don't want whatever is in the middle of the screen to look stretched, so the only option is to as you get closer to the edge of the screen, stretch the image more.

    Sorry for the wall of text but I hope I cleared it up a bit!

    Cheers!
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Foodie88 is slowly working his way into an unpaid go to tech support guy ^_^
  • Foodie88
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Heh. Not really. I just find it a shame they never bothered to explain the feature correctly. And I'm a sucker for fast, good aiming so I checked it out for myself. Then I thought, why not post this info so others can profit too?
  • Phat_Helmet
    2164 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    Yes, you should use it and no you shouldn't leave the coefficient at 133%. That's built around 4:3 screens and as you likely have something with 16:9 or 21:9, you need a different coefficient.

    Check my thread on this topic here:

    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/72159/psa-universal-soldier-aiming-youre-using-it-wrong

    Why would they default it to 4:3? Is anyone using that anymore. Moreover, the lack of explanation from DICE on settings is just plain lazy.
  • Prolific-JaY
    182 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Foodie88 wrote: »
    Heh. Not really. I just find it a shame they never bothered to explain the feature correctly. And I'm a sucker for fast, good aiming so I checked it out for myself. Then I thought, why not post this info so others can profit too?

    Thanks for the information. I also like to tinker with all my sensitivity settings and this is the one setting I have yet to touch as I was absolutely clueless on what coefficient even did. I play on console without aim assist so finding that perfect sensitivity is extremely important. Looks like I have my mission for the day haha. Once again, thanks for the details.
Sign In or Register to comment.